Can Jonny Evans get some respect put on his name?

How easy (and cheap) it would have been if we’d just kept him and Smalling all along. So much money spent just to discover the guys we started out with were better.

How easy (and cheap) it would have been if we’d just kept him and Smalling all along. So much money spent just to discover the guys we started out with were better.
Along with Jones that was the trio of CBs that Fergie left us with and apart from the shocking injuries that we could never have forecast that Jones had to deal with we really haven't done any better since.
I did like the Smalling Blind combo though but Jose thought Lindelof and Bailly was the way forward :rolleyes:

You lot must not have been paying attention or seeing what you want to see! As the moaning about him has been very prevalent across the United part of the board as well as in match day threads.
I must have all those *****s on ignore

Along with Jones that was the trio of CBs that Fergie left us with and apart from the shocking injuries that we could never have forecast that Jones had to deal with we really haven't done any better since.
I did like the Smalling Blind combo though but Jose thought Lindelof and Bailly was the way forward :rolleyes:
To be fair bailly was really good initially before injuries destroyed him but yeah I would have loved to have seen blind stay at the club but was a victim of the club's awful short sighted vision of jumping to one extreme to another with managers.

Ole was no better by basically freezing smalling out the side and then spunking 80million on maguire which was barely much of an upgrade if at all.

I feel like we would be having the same exact conversation if we brought welbeck back to the club.

I think you’re finding an issue that doesn’t exist.

United fans love him.

Yes indeed. Like many others, I have a huge amount of respect for Jonny Evans. He is a true professional in every sense of the word.

Isn't this a classic example of fans blindly siding with whoever is manager at united at the time, people were and still do defend van gaal terrible transfer decisions like letting go of welbeck, nani, evans and chicarito and all for dirt cheap prices as well

Word to Birdman.

But seriously, he seems to be the caf whipping boy whose name gets dragged along the coals whenever announced despite him arguably being the best pure defender at the club, even as “5th choice” as some of you attempt to denigrate him with.

If you’re looking at CB’s here for individual errors, he makes the least. Positionally, brain-farts, stupid goings to ground for no reason, covering for partner, I’d love to hear counters to state he isn’t the best at the positives and the least likely at the negatives from the roster, so why is he summarily dismissed despite the obvious pros to his game and what he’s offering our ragtag bunch, who, let’s face it, all show they have plenty of mistakes in the comedic goals we concede?

On merit, he should be one of the starting CB’s with all the others fighting to play alongside him, but the reality is that gives terrible optics as the hundreds of millions spent on the others as well as the younger “for the future” age profiles of the others assures that can’t happen as we’re trying to forge a dependable pairing for this term and beyond, supposedly.

Anyway this should be a talking point because the criticism of his very name is daft when the clown car picks up and spits out all the other CB’s as and when it feels fit.

Yoro is excluded from this as I’m talking about those who have been here and active in professional games since Evans returned. Not a single one of them has covered themselves in glory, certainly not to be considered any level above Evans.
So should we rechristen him Johnny Respect Evans..
On a serious note i am amazed at how sturdy and reliable he has been for us in his second spell here.

So true

Isn't this a classic example of fans blindly siding with whoever is manager at united at the time, people were and still do defend van gaal terrible transfer decisions like letting go of welbeck, nani, evans and chicarito and all for dirt cheap prices as well
Correct. I hated all those transfers. LvG was my least favourite post-Ferguson manager not only because the style of play bored me to tears but because of the transfers during his tenure.

Correct. I hated all those transfers. LvG was my least favourite post-Ferguson manager not only because the style of play bored me to tears but because of the transfers during his tenure.
He did have a mixed bag of signings.

I liked some of them;

Romero
Valdes
Blind
Herrera
Di Maria
Shaw

Mixed in with;

Darmian
Rojo
Schneiderlin
Depay

Then there was;

Schweinsteiger
Falcao
Martial

I remember it being an exciting period for bringing in players.

I liked some of them;

Romero
Valdes
Blind
Herrera
Di Maria
Shaw

Mixed in with;

Darmian
Rojo
Schneiderlin
Depay

Then there was;

Schweinsteiger
Falcao
Martial

I didn’t like who left. Some quality players transferred out and most of what came in was no better if not worse than those sold.

From a youth talent POV he should be treated at a step below to the likes of 92 and ahead of the squad players such as phil, butt and O'Shea. Lvg stripped us of a great player here

Jonny Respect Evans wasn’t as good as Rio or Vida but was a very good defender. Van Gaal sold our best defender and depleted the team.
And credit to Evan’s, he is still very solid and useful. He is United through and through too, and that’s the only player of this team I can say that about.

I liked some of them;

Romero
Valdes
Blind
Herrera
Di Maria
Shaw

Mixed in with;

Darmian
Rojo
Schneiderlin
Depay

Then there was;

Schweinsteiger
Falcao
Martial

There's a lot in common between ETH and LVG. Their stubborn nature, their deficiency in man management, their obsession in a system that simply does not work in the EPL and an obsession to buy players they know and trust. I cant recall any Dutch manager ever doing well in the EPL and the worst EPL manager in history was a Dutch manager from Ajax. Which makes you wonder.....why we're insisting on ETH?

Jonny Respect Evans wasn’t as good as Rio or Vida but was a very good defender. Van Gaal sold our best defender and depleted the team.
And credit to Evan’s, he is still very solid and useful. He is United through and through too, and that’s the only player of this team I can say that about.

He left at age 27 ie his prime. Prior to that he had 2 horrible managers (LVG and Moyes) who certainly didn't help him develop the way he should. I don't think he was as good as Rio. Rio is a generational talent a mix of talent and great genes. However if SAF stuck to the club longer then he did then I could see Evans develop at par to Vidic

Smalling was good under LVG. However, he was never elite level - bullied by Kompany at set pieces etc.

Evans went to West Brom after us, yes he got linked with City for a bit but the only team to pick him up after West Brom were Leicester. That says it all.
A good player but we sold him at the right time, the revisionist history on here at times is baffling.
The fact he's out second best CB right now is testament to his performances rather than his history.

Evans went to West Brom after us, yes he got linked with City for a bit but the only team to pick him up after West Brom were Leicester. That says it all.
A good player but we sold him at the right time, the revisionist history on here at times is baffling.
The fact he's out second best CB right now is testament to his performances rather than his history.
It's also a testament to United's terrible overall development.

Let's look at it, we are talking about a player who played for West Brom, Leicester and then needed a club that allowed him to participate in training because absolutely no one was seriously interested in him. And it's not as if there are mitigating circumstances like "coming back from a long potentially career ending injury".

He absolutely puts in a shift and does what he can and that deserves respect, but no PL club should have to rely on a player like him.

Word to Birdman.

But seriously, he seems to be the caf whipping boy whose name gets dragged along the coals whenever announced despite him arguably being the best pure defender at the club, even as “5th choice” as some of you attempt to denigrate him with.

If you’re looking at CB’s here for individual errors, he makes the least. Positionally, brain-farts, stupid goings to ground for no reason, covering for partner, I’d love to hear counters to state he isn’t the best at the positives and the least likely at the negatives from the roster, so why is he summarily dismissed despite the obvious pros to his game and what he’s offering our ragtag bunch, who, let’s face it, all show they have plenty of mistakes in the comedic goals we concede?

On merit, he should be one of the starting CB’s with all the others fighting to play alongside him, but the reality is that gives terrible optics as the hundreds of millions spent on the others as well as the younger “for the future” age profiles of the others assures that can’t happen as we’re trying to forge a dependable pairing for this term and beyond, supposedly.

Anyway this should be a talking point because the criticism of his very name is daft when the clown car picks up and spits out all the other CB’s as and when it feels fit.

Yoro is excluded from this as I’m talking about those who have been here and active in professional games since Evans returned. Not a single one of them has covered themselves in glory, certainly not to be considered any level above Evans.
He is a superb professional and has always done his best for this club, with no drama or bad habits. He should be considered a Manchester United faithful.

Smalling was good under LVG. However, he was never elite level - bullied by Kompany at set pieces etc.
He was never elite level because he wasn't good with his distribution but it is no shame getting bettered by Kompany as he was a beast at set pieces.
Mind you Smalling wasn't bad at doing his own thing in the opposition box either and got his fair share of goals.

You know he played in the match: Mk Dons 4 United 0 but yeah cannot blame on just one person and he is forgiven already.

To be fair bailly was really good initially before injuries destroyed him

Nah, he had good qualities but he was always an agent of chaos, prone to doing at least one inexplicable thing per game.

Keown played for Arsenal aged 38 in huge games. What an achievement if Evans stayed in the 1st team squad until that age.

You don’t need to be elite to be better than Lindelof/Rojo/Bailey. Hell, I’ll argue Smalling is better than Maguire too.

Selling Smalling wasn’t the issue, replacing him with a bunch of duds is the issue.

And that’s our problem right there, our replacements always seems to be worse than the players they’re brought in to replace.

Word to Birdman.

I have not heard one United fan slag him off ever. He literally gets more praise than most. He is like top 3 of United fans favourite current players.

You need to go and bother some kids down at the local skatepark, Karen.

I have not heard one United fan slag him off ever. He literally gets more praise than most. He is like top 3 of United fans favourite current players.

You need to go and bother some kids down at the local skatepark, Karen.
How very dare you! Karen!? :lol:

Anyway, I like that you quote my post explicitly stating caf and then go off on your own tangent.

It’s great some are in here giving him his due, but there’s a whole load more who have been vociferously stating their discontent whenever he was in the lineup prior to the last few games.

The premise of the OP is absurd. I'm not one to call for a thread to be closed but if this thread were closed it would be no loss to the caf community.

I honestly don't think that he could get even a minute playtime in ANY other topclub in England or outside. Tells a lot about our "great" squad.

It's also a testament to United's terrible overall development.

Let's look at it, we are talking about a player who played for West Brom, Leicester and then needed a club that allowed him to participate in training because absolutely no one was seriously interested in him. And it's not as if there are mitigating circumstances like "coming back from a long potentially career ending injury".

He absolutely puts in a shift and does what he can and that deserves respect, but no PL club should have to rely on a player like him.
At least 3 Premier League clubs were interested in him last summer. On a free transfer and on presumably (for modern PL standards anyway) minimal wages, he would have been an asset to half the league as a squad player (which is what he is with us.)

One of the few players in the squad I genuinely adore. Absolute hero who has the lived the dream of many of us fans. I wanted him to stay in the summer, and if he does call it a day next year we need to keep him in a coaching capacity. Mint.

I've banged the drum about Blind for years. Lovely footballer we should never have let go.

He was considered bang average, even a liability back then under SAF.
But he looks like a legend in this team. And he's 36. Puts into perspective how crap the team is.

That's extremely harsh. No defender wins 100% of his duels, and Kompany is one of the few around who could match Smalling physically. In that very same game Smalling scored the winner from a set piece himself.

Now of course he wasn't 'elite', but I'd say he was clearly our best defender from the time Rio & Vidic left up until now. Hopefully at least two out of Martinez, De Ligt and Yoro breaks that trend in the coming few seasons.

How very dare you! Karen!? :lol:

Anyway, I like that you quote my post explicitly stating caf and then go off on your own tangent.

It’s great some are in here giving him his due, but there’s a whole load more who have been vociferously stating their discontent whenever he was in the lineup prior to the last few games.
I think that's just an issue with the Matchday Threads to be honest. They are easily the lowest quality football threads on the forum, with constant reactionary rubbish from start to finish.

I've banged the drum about Blind for years. Lovely footballer we should never have let go.
I liked him as he was smart with the ball and with his positioning.
I am pretty sure that the season before he came to Utd he was voted best in the Dutch league and that was as a midfielder and yet that was probably his worst position in England due to his lack of pace which tells us a lot about the difference in leagues.