Bloomberg: Jim Ratcliffe on plans for Man Utd

Maybe you have a point about Woodward because he isnt very smart when it comes to transfers but quite obviosuly they had a different idea of what they wanted for a CB (speed, strength and 1 on 1 defending) which is why they signed Saliba and Gabriel and the point really is that there were other CBs also signed by other clubs.

Context - Plenty of people including myself said on this very forum that Maguire was the wrong signing especially for the fee. There was no justification for it it was just a poor transfer. Its silly to start talking about context trying to justify it to someone who said it was wrong at the time. We could have signed a different CB with a completely different makeup in terms of the attributes. We didn’t and we paid the price. Same goes for Lindelof

We mostly agree mate. Woodward was clueless. He sauntered around like Billy big bollocks and I think justified Maguire at that fee as VvD was close to the same.

Maguire was a solid signing at the right price though. We didn’t pay the right fee. But £60m for him was 100% ‘safer’ than Saliba or Gabriel for £30 each.

Regardless, our transfers have been a mess for ages and debate over that doesn’t exist.

I 100% agree with you. But our society made of the average citizen an addicted consumer. So the collapse is inevitable. No one is listening to scientists.
The capitalism as we know it now will stop only when it collapse. It will be too late and a lot of people will suffer and die.
I can understand feelings of powerlessness against those dawning scenarios. I can understand people flee into escapism and try to ignore the whole thing. But those people in this thread actively defending this fecking system really boil my blood. Why would you choose to go out to defend billionaires of all people? Those profiting the most and are of responsible the most for this system? This must be a very special kind of coping mechanism.

I can understand feelings of powerlessness against those dawning scenarios. I can understand people flee into escapism and try to ignore the whole thing. But those people in this thread actively defending this fecking system really boil my blood. Why would you choose to go out to defend billionaires of all people? Those profiting the most and are of responsible the most for this system? This must be a very special kind of coping mechanism.

Children. All of them.

It’s the rich man in his castle, poor man at the gate bootlicking construct.

Absolutely insane.

We mostly agree mate. Woodward was clueless. He sauntered around like Billy big bollocks and I think justified Maguire at that fee as VvD was close to the same.

Maguire was a solid signing at the right price though. We didn’t pay the right fee. But £60m for him was 100% ‘safer’ than Saliba or Gabriel for £30 each.

Regardless, our transfers have been a mess for ages and debate over that doesn’t exist.

Fair enough but we don’t agree about Maguire at all. A top club should not be signing a CB who struggles when isolated 1 on 1 and this was clear about him before we signed him

I very much hope that they think it's not fair. I hope they get angry and organized, and tear this system apart sooner rather than later. This unfairness is the very reason a want a system change. The poor get exploited by the rich. The south by the north. We let the wretched of this world produce goods we very often don't even need in disgusting conditions to the effect of destroying our environment only for the very rich to get even richer. I want this to change. You don't. Jesus fecking God!
I agree, that was my point. A great proportion of the world gets a very poor deal. But we are part of that problem not just billionaires . As you say, he wretched of this world produce goods we very often don't even need in disgusting condition -- and our shops are full of these products .

Does Sir Jim Ratcliffe know what he's doing? Man Utd's handling of Erik ten Hag & messy start to the transfer window doesn't bode well for their chances of a swift revival

https://www.goal.com/en/lists/sir-j...window/blt3267eda0a7d0d3b1#cs8c194d8ee0e496b4

At face value it definitely doesn’t look good, and Ratcliffe should have found a way to come to his decision in a less dithery, public way.

Doesn’t mean he’ll do a bad job in the medium/long term though, and also doesn’t mean he’s made the wrong decision with EtH. It’s just the perception that’s not gone well.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not yet, but Real Madrid are the only club we should be compared to, so it's refreshing to hear Ratcliffe do just that, that should be the standard.

I don't know about you guys, but I am figuring that if we get the full managerial structure of the club in place, then discussions will be based on pure stats (including personality) like Moneyball to fit the style of play we are looking to adopt. There will be unexpected signings who may not cost that much but they will all fit together.

Last edited:
I agree, that was my point. A great proportion of the world gets a very poor deal. But we are part of that problem not just billionaires . As you say, he wretched of this world produce goods we very often don't even need in disgusting condition -- and our shops are full of these products .
We tolerate these conditions, as we (the western common people) are helt in a state where we wouldn't revolt. The trick is to sell us the idea of freedom and wealth achieved by "honest work", give us some benefits (working rights, social system), so a large portion of the people are contend. Capitalism is very adaptable, this is what makes it so dangerous.

Of course billionaires are not the only problem (but those who profit from the system). Of course we are also responsible to do something. It's just so hard to revolt when you're not starving. And capitalism makes us more than full.

Some of our left-wing working class fans were never going to be comfortable with a Tory Brexiteer owning the club so I understand the hostility from that perspective. I do prefer having a vocal owner to what we had before though.

I wonder if he'd still vote for Brexit now after realising how difficult it has made running an English football club?
There’s being vocal and there’s talking instead of just letting your actions do the talking. I think many people look at other owners and they are not on Bloomberg, BBC etc image crafting themselves.

I want a vocal owner who shuts up clubs that try to unsettle our players. If RM one day try and unsettle Garnacho, we have an owner who then says “that vini junior is fantastic player was meant to wear red, reminds of Best. Deserves to be at a club where they’ll still sing his name decades later “ and then ideally signs him.

I don't know about you guys, but I am figuring that if we get the full managerial structure of the club in place, then discussions will be based on pure stats (including personality) like Moneyball to fit the style of play we are looking to adopt. There will be unexpected signings who may not cost that much but they will all fit together.

Completely agree.

I'm more excited about getting the management structure in place that we haven't had since Fergie left. Various managers and a marketing man like Woodward signing things off, wasn't a proper football structure.
It makes sense that Sir Jim will set the foundations up before going all out on moving ahead. It takes time but having someone work on the actual football side of things as opposed to Woodward/Glazers is what we've needed for years.
People have lost the art of patience. Let's judge in a couple of years if it's moved in the right direction.

No. Being a billionaire is nothing to do with hard work otherwise doctors and nurses would be rolling in it. Billionaires are a product of a broken economic system and disfunctional society. No one gets off their backside and accumulates that amount of wealth by hard work. It is done off the backs of others.

Their existence when there is such a high level of child poverty and austerity is the sign of a broken society.

The gain of billionaires is either at the expense of others either now or in the past (where it is due to inherited wealth). In some cases this is simply because they can only get to that level by not contributing to society (offshore tax havens) but in others such as Bezos' case it is literally that despite his wealth he makes more by continuing to treat and pay his workers poorly. He could choose to be a positive force for society at a marginal profit or make more profit by screwing others over. He does the latter because to be a billionaire that is what you have to so. And Ratcliffe will have taken the same unethical decisions to get where he is.
:lol: