Film Blade Runner 2049

It is not what they are saying it is though... the original shits on this from a great height. Just my opinion of course but I honestly felt this was a boring film. It was a try hard blade runner. It's like what you get if you gave a fan who knew nothing about how to make a film millions of pounds to make a blade runner sequel.
I guess you would prefer Ridley to do it ? Prometheus, Alien Covenant... what a great idea that was.

I guess you would prefer Ridley to do it ? Prometheus, Alien Covenant... what a great idea that was.
Didn't say that.

When Villeneuve was announced I actually had high hopes (Sicario is one of my favorite films). Having Ridley Scott helm the sequel would have probably been a disaster, he tried his best to butcher the original.

I am just disappointed with the film and I don't believe it deserves the reviews it has had.

Didn't say that.

When Villeneuve was announced I actually had high hopes (Sicario is one of my favorite films). Having Ridley Scott helm the sequel would have probably been a disaster, he tried his best to butcher the original.

I am just disappointed with the film and I don't believe it deserves the reviews it has had.
This is exactly why it deserve some positive feedback. They didn't focus on going the safe way with cashing in and they paid the price as it bombed at a box office, but what you get in result is a legit sequel showing actual consequences of enviromental disaster of previous civilization from the first movie.

I get it, it's nothing that special but wait till they make a new Indiana Jones movie... That should seal the deal for me not to go to cinema ever again.

Didn't say that.

In what way?

He remade it about 100 times and fecked around with it quite a lot.

What's wrong with the final cut, though? The theatrical version is dumb, Ford doing a voiceover purposefully badly because he thought it was a bad idea and a crammed in happy ending that they nicked footage from the Shining for. Doing the final cut after the "director's" cut was more tinkering but I think he'd farmed it out the previous time and wanted to do it himself.

What's wrong with the final cut, though? The theatrical version is dumb, Ford doing a voiceover purposefully badly because he thought it was a bad idea and a crammed in happy ending that they nicked footage from the Shining for. Doing the final cut after the "director's" cut was more tinkering but I think he'd farmed it out the previous time and wanted to do it himself.
So many versions. I do like the final cut though. The first film is fine, it's just this one isn't all that.

This is a lazy argument imo. Ridley Scott should have definitely directed it. The original was a visual masterpiece. None of Villeneuve's works is on the same level. Don't get me wrong. His films are really good. But visually, you just cannot compare any of Villeneuve's work with Ridley Scott's early films.

This is a lazy argument imo. Ridley Scott should have definitely directed it. The original was a visual masterpiece. None of Villeneuve's works is on the same level. Don't get me wrong. His films are really good. But visually, you just cannot compare any of Villeneuve's work with Ridley Scott's early films.
The sequel's premise wasn't to be better but to continue consequences from a first movie and connect it. This thing is so obvious that first movie is better and more iconic, I don't even know why you bring that up... Besides, Ridley Scott's early films were about 30 years ago. The argument that he should direct new Blade Runner because his early movies were were great is jumping the shark.

The sequel's premise wasn't to be better but to continue consequences from a first movie and connect it. This thing is so obvious that first movie is better and more iconic, I don't even know why you bring that up... Besides, Ridley Scott's early films were about 30 years ago. The argument that he should direct new Blade Runner because his early movies were were great is jumping the shark.

Not really. Like I said, I think it is a lazy argument. If you are going to compare two directors, you should rank them by their best films. Ridley's best films are miles ahead of Villeneuve's. I still think he should have directed the sequel, for the same reasons Cameron should have directed the latter terminator films. These films lack purpose without their creator at the helm.

Last edited:
Not really. Like I said, I think it is a lazy argument. If you are going to compare two directors, you should rank them by their best films. Ridley's best films are miles ahead of Villeneuve's. I still think he should have directed the sequel, for the same reason why Cameron should have directed the latter terminator films. These films lack purpose without their creator at the helm.
Cameron also directed sequel to Scott's Alien and surprise, surprise, it wasn't that bad at all. There's no hard rule who should contrinue with directing someone's material. Lucas giving Empire Strikes Back to Kershner destroys the idealistic view of creators having uber exclusivity. If Scott wanted to make a sequel he should really push for it a long time ago, same goes to Lucas. They should all get over it, especially after so many years.

Couldn't care less who's a better director, now. It's a fanboy shit.

Not really. Like I said, I think it is a lazy argument. If you are going to compare two directors, you should rank them by their best films. Ridley's best films are miles ahead of Villeneuve's. I still think he should have directed the sequel, for the same reasons Cameron should have directed the latter terminator films. These films lack purpose without their creator at the helm.
The last Terminators were bad because they had hack writers and hack directors. Villeneuve isn't at Scott's prime level but he's far from a hack. And for me at least, 2049 was great visually. Had problems elsewhere but none with that.

Cameron also directed sequel to Scott's Alien and surprise, surprise, it wasn't that bad at all. There's no hard rule who should contrinue with directing someone's material. Lucas giving Empire Strikes Back to Kershner destroys the idealistic view of creators having uber exclusivity. If Scott wanted to make a sequel he should really push for it a long time ago, same goes to Lucas. They should all get over it, especially after so many years.

Couldn't care less who's a better director, now. It's a fanboy shit.

This basically negates whatever you said previously.

As for your fanbois argument, it is lazy at best. The results are out there for everyone to see. Only time will tell how the sequel will fare in comparison to the original.

Last edited:
i wouldn't disagree that Scott defiantly has more incredible films in his back catalogue, but the only really good film he has done in recent times is the Martian(which was great) but apart from that the last film i loved by him was possibly Gladiator.

Also the mess he is making with the Alien Franchise i'm glad he was not directing 2049.

This basically negates whatever you said previously.

As for your fanbois argument, it is lazy at best. The results are out there for everyone to see. Only time will tell how the sequel will fare in comparison with the original.
You need to simply get over the fact Scott didn't direct the sequel. It happens, especially in that industry.

These films lack purpose without their creator at the helm.
Oh I thought only time will tell. Seems like you already judged it... very lazy approach, entropy. Very lazy.

The last Terminators were bad because they had hack writers and hack directors. Villeneuve isn't at Scott's prime level but he's far from a hack. And for me at least, 2049 was great visually. Had problems elsewhere but none with that.

I never said Villeneuve was a hack. Each director brings his/her own skillset to a particular project. Often, it turns out to be a mismatch. As for your point about the Terminator films, those films would have been lot better with Cameron at the helm.

To be honest, 2049 lacked that great antagonist with a backstory Hauer provided with such powerful lines.

Jared Leto done some... questionable things in this movie.

Don't worry, old Scott got some new plans for Alien. You'll love it... hopefully. I wouldn't mind a horrifying Alien sequel/prequel tbh.

i wouldn't disagree that Scott defiantly has more incredible films in his back catalogue, but the only really good film he has done in recent times is the Martian(which was great) but apart from that the last film i loved by him was possibly Gladiator.

Also the mess he is making with the Alien Franchise i'm glad he was not directing 2049.

While I understand your argument, each of those films belong to a different genre. I don't know if it does full justice to his wide range of work. People are quick to forget that Blade Runner wasn't a hit when it first came out. One of the many reasons I love Blade Runner is the minimal use of dialogue. I would have loved to see that again, instead of the hammy backstory/excessive plot version we got now.

Last edited:
To be honest, 2049 lacked that great antagonist with a backstory Hauer provided with such powerful lines.

Jared Leto done some... questionable things in this movie.
Yup, was weak. It was like they went "gimme Tyrell but more evil and blind." And it was too long, and the rebel replicants were boring. A CGI Rachael was a war crime.

But visually, great!
I never said Villeneuve was a hack. Each director brings his/her own skillset to a particular project. Often, it turns out to be a mismatch. As for your point about the Terminator films, those films would have been lot better with Cameron at the helm.
They would, but they also could've been with a great many other writers and directors.

Off topic but just saw there are four Avatar sequels in production and I wanna vom.

They would, but they also could've been with a great many other writers and directors.

Off topic but just saw there are four Avatar sequels in production and I wanna vom.

Sure. There will always be that argument. Some random writer/director out there could have made a great Terminator film. I will take one good Terminator film over all the sequel/prequel avatar films.

Yup, was weak. It was like they went "gimme Tyrell but more evil and blind." And it was too long, and the rebel replicants were boring. A CGI Rachael was a war crime.

But visually, great!
Rebels came bit from nowhere, almost forced but this revolution they're starting could lead to some ideas for a third movie, but of course now that it bombed at box office...

Rebels came bit from nowhere, almost forced but this revolution they're starting could lead to some ideas for a third movie, but of course now that it bombed at box office...

It was hinted at a few times through the film though but it was done with dialogue rather than visually showing them from what I can remember.

I think this will be a film that people will grow to like and appreciate after a few viewings. I've watched a few youtube videos analyzing the film and would like to watch it again and see if I agree with them.

It was hinted at a few times through the film though but it was done with dialogue rather than visually showing them from what I can remember.

I think this will be a film that people will grow to like and appreciate after a few viewings. I've watched a few youtube videos analyzing the film and would like to watch it again and see if I agree with them.
It reminded me a bit of Equilibrium with Bale. Protagonist is a mindless machine then something snaps in him and becoming an instrument of revolution with whole empathy for others.

Definitely few more viewings on the way, almost three hours is a lot to register. Ana de Armas was great to watch, too.

I'm not impressed by Villeneuve to be honest.
Me neither tbh... Previous films have underwhelmed me. This was alright but it is being exaggerated and I suspect opinions will normalize over time.

For those unimpressed by Villeneuve, which contemporary American directors are currently exciting you?

I still haven't seen this yet.

Not sure if this had been talked about previously from an earlier interview, but just came across this (typically entertaining) one from Scott which has a little aside about 2049 and the original - http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/ridley-scott-all-the-money-in-the-world-reshoots.html

Relevant bit:
What did you make of the way Blade Runner 2049 was received?
[Whispers] I have to be careful what I say. I have to be careful what I say. It was fecking way too long. feck me! And most of that script’s mine.

Really?
Yes!

The story, or the script?
I sit with writers for an inordinate amount of time and I will not take credit, because it means I’ve got to sit there with a tape recorder while we talk. I can’t do that to a good writer. But I have to, because to prove I’m part of the actual process, I have to then have an endless amount [of proof], and I can’t be bothered.

[Editor’s note: Spoilers for Blade Runner 2049 follow in the next paragraph.]

But the big idea comes from Blade Runner. Tyrell is a trillionaire, maybe 5 to 10 percent of his business is AI. Like God, he has created perfect beings that, for all intents and purposes, there is no telling the difference from humans. Then he says, “You know what? I’m going to create an AI. I’ll have a male and female, they will not know that they’re both AIs, I’ll have them meet each other, they will fall in love, they will consummate, and they will have a child.” That’s the first film. The second film is, what happens to the baby? You’ve got to have the baby, you can’t have the mother, so the mother has to inexplicably die four months after she breastfeeds. The bones are found in the box at the foot of the tree — that’s all me. And the digital girlfriend is me. I wanted an evolution from Pris, who is inordinately sexy in the original, right?

I would say iconically so.
I shouldn’t talk. I’m being a bitch.
Kind of obvious just from the films but hadn't seen it confirmed by one of the creators anywhere.

Thought it was brilliant, but tarnished from the uprising bit, it was totally unneeded. That and i wasn't convinced about who turned out to be the child.

What's wrong with the final cut, though?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

The theatrical version is dumb, Ford doing a voiceover purposefully badly because he thought it was a bad idea

Ford denies this but it still could be true. It is a better film without the voice-over but the original was much better than we give it credit for now. The voiceover was done in a classic noir Sam Spade style which worked with the visual style of the film even if it wasn't necessary.

crammed in happy ending that they nicked footage from the Shining for.

Yes. Very silly.

Doing the final cut after the "director's" cut was more tinkering but I think he'd farmed it out the previous time and wanted to do it himself.

He didn't have time to edit the Director's Cut so it was done according to his written instructions and most notably the voice-over and happy ending were removed. The Final Cut was tweaked, digitally remastered and the vital unicorn dream that made the origami unicorn more meaningful was added.

I liked it, but it wasn't really all that great.

Guess it looks nice, but the original was much more atmospheric for me. Scott and Vangelis had something to do with that. I miss Scott and Vangelis, and will have to do something to correct that. Yes, indeed, it's 1492 time!

Thought it was brilliant, but tarnished from the uprising bit, it was totally unneeded. That and i wasn't convinced about who turned out to be the child.

I thought it was brilliant and I thought they dealt with who was the child really well indeed. The uprising may not have strictly been needed in one sense but but it was great in that it displayed the needs and desires of applicants from another viewpoint, was the perfect way to reveal to K that he was mistaken about the identity of the child and also (I suspect) is intended to be a big part of any third film.

I thought it was brilliant and I thought they dealt with who was the child really well indeed. The uprising may not have strictly been needed in one sense but but it was great in that it displayed the needs and desires of applicants from another viewpoint, was the perfect way to reveal to K that he was mistaken about the identity of the child and also (I suspect) is intended to be a big part of any third film.
My problem with it was that the original and for most of the sequel, its brilliance is that the actual story is such a tiny fragment of what is such a vast universe, where humanity has begun to colonise the stars and theres this enourmus backdrop to it, but our glimse of it is through the eyes of a very insignificant character/characters in the grand scheme of things and thats what makes it so charming to me. i think this whole "replicant uprising" tangient takes away from that a bit. Especially when its not fleshed out in the slightest, and from my perspective rightly so. Im there to enjoy the spectacularly gritty distopian visuals and identify with the lowly characters as they go about their life in this giant universe, not to envision a scenario of epic proportions and scope, when really thats not what makes the story great.

Don't think that'll happen unfortunately, this one bombed too hard.