Best striker in the world: Benzema or Lewandowski?

Who is the best striker in the world at this moment in time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Idk.. I would never rate Lewa over Benz. The latter has always performed in important games whereas most of the times Lewa is just found stat-padding.

That's my take anyways. It can be shit but don't shoot the messenger.

Lewandowski : 42 goals 4 assists in 35 games (3045 minutes)

Benzema : 30 goals 12 assists in 33 games (2800 minutes)

Apples to oranges really. Not the same kind fo player, one is a goal machine and the other is a bit more of an all-rounder.

I'd favor Benzema this season simply because he offers a lot more than Lewandowski beyond pure G+A output

Apples to oranges really. Not the same kind fo player, one is a goal machine and the other is a bit more of an all-rounder.

I'd favor Benzema this season simply because he offers a lot more than Lewandowski beyond pure G+A output

I would counter that by adding Lewandowski's hold up play in argubaly the best in the world and something that is underrated.

It's has been very important to Bayerns style of play over the past few years, that they defenders can confidently lump the ball towards him knowing he can bring it down and start an attack.

Benzema is brilliant though, the way he's played since Ronaldo left has really changed my opinion of him. He was certainly playing around Ronaldo at the expense of his own reputation but he's brought that reputation back up.

Him, Lewa, Suarez would be my top 3 strikers from the past decade. Kane of course very close to them as well, maybe you can argue for him over Benzema given that Benzema wasn't playing at the highest of levels while Ronaldo was at the club.

I think it's entirely wrong to just reduce Lewandowski to his goals. Benzema is probably a 10/10 in the supporting attributes, but Lewandowski is probably a 8 or 9 out of 10 as well. His hold up play is ridiculously good for starters.

I'd love to have both in my team.

Lewa is the more consistent scorer, while Benzema, though consistent in his own right, is the better player in big matches.

I an quite sure someone like Pep and Klopp would pick Benzema in their team ahead of Lewandowski.

Benzema all the way for me. Feels like the perfect modern-day striker.

I'd love to have both in my team.

Lewa is the more consistent scorer, while Benzema, though consistent in his own right, is the better player in big matches.
That would actually potentially be a brilliant partnership, with Benzema becoming the more creative forward and Lewa the finisher. They'd tear up any defence.

Lewandowski the better striker

Benzema the better all-around player

I would counter that by adding Lewandowski's hold up play in argubaly the best in the world and something that is underrated.

It's has been very important to Bayerns style of play over the past few years, that they defenders can confidently lump the ball towards him knowing he can bring it down and start an attack.

Benzema is brilliant though, the way he's played since Ronaldo left has really changed my opinion of him. He was certainly playing around Ronaldo at the expense of his own reputation but he's brought that reputation back up.

Him, Lewa, Suarez would be my top 3 strikers from the past decade. Kane of course very close to them as well, maybe you can argue for him over Benzema given that Benzema wasn't playing at the highest of levels while Ronaldo was at the club.

Wasn't he? Or did he simply sacrifice a larger role for the good of the team and hence his performances didn't come off as being as spectacular as they are now?

Lewandowski, even though Benzema is an exceptional player. Many people not watching Bayern matches on the regular are underestimating Lewas all-around ability, he´s not just a poacher in the box, he´s amazing technically and is great in hold-up play. Just watch his touch for the first penalty against Salzburg or his backheel assist for Sane.

Benzema, just. He's really stepped up since Cristiano left and he no longer had to play the supporting act. The performance in that occasion last night was special.

Lewandowski i wish had played outside Germany. A single CL title doesn't show that he's ever really had to meet any challenges the way Benzema has.

I feel people misjudge Lewandowski for only being a poacher.

He often drops into midfield to help in build up play and distract defenders, appears on the flanks, he became great at taking free kicks all of a sudden... The only thing you could argue is that he isn't the most flashy dribbler. Other than that he is as complete as a striker can be, almost never injured and always hungry for more goals.

In this season he is already at 46 scorer points (42 goals, 4 assists) in 35 games, Benzema is at 30 scorers in 33 games.

And its the 3rd year in a row where Lewy has these absolutely insane numbers, also on an international level.

So as much as I like and rate Benzema, I can't quite understand, how so many people on here rate him higher than Lewandowski.

And for the people saying that Benzema is more important to Real than Lewandowski is to us: he is literally the most important player for us, even more than Müller, Kimmich or Neuer and the only one we can't replace.

Benzema played a high level for many years, he was underrated because of Ronaldo scoring 80% of Real Madrid goals, and taking all the limelights.
Dumb people even underrated the importance of world class players Marcelo, Bale, Kroos and Modric while Cristiano was at Real, relating all Real success to Cristiano, despite the portuguese ghosting in some UCL finals and semifinals.

If Lewandowski would have played along the ultimate goal machine that is CR7, he would have never been rated as he is right now.

Benzema by a slight margin, mostly because I have a greater appreciation for do-it-all center forwards who don't have noteworthy technical or tactical weaknesses, and can seamlessly adapt to the ever-changing needs of the collective. And his end-product is not too shabby either, even though he played second fiddle to a greatest-of-all-time caliber forward for the majority of his physical peak years...
  • Top 10 for La Liga goals (212), needs 40 to surpass Zarra and enter the Top 3 with Messi and Cristiano (which should be doable).
  • Top 3 for La Liga assists (114), trailing only Messi (129) and Xavi (216).
  • Top 4 for European Cup goals, ahead of man, many competition legends.
  • Top 10 for European Cup assists (27); with a real chance to enter the Top 5 (30), if not the Top 3 (35).
Though Lewandowski is tremendous in his own right — and sometimes misjudged as an opportunistic finisher when he has much more to his game (like the late, great Gerd Müller). A more consistently threatening apex predator than Benzema over the years. The fact that he averages 45+ goals for every season since 2015–16 is awe-inspiring, and you could argue that he is the best striker of his ilk over the last 40 years or so after only Marco van Basten — ahead of the likes of Batistuta, yes.

Lewandowski for sure. He should have won the ballon at least once in his career. Been unlucky with that.

r2GN5nY.png

Last 365 days

Added in Kane since he's usually always brought up in these debates

Benzema by a slight margin, mostly because I have a greater appreciation for do-it-all center forwards who don't have noteworthy technical or tactical weaknesses, and can seamlessly adapt to the ever-changing needs of the collective. And his end-product is not too shabby either, even though he played second fiddle to a greatest-of-all-time caliber forward for the majority of his physical peak years...

I have a bit of a problem with this argument because it's only used one way when it should be used both ways.
People always say how Benzema's goal output suffers because he had to adapt to Ronaldo, but the argument can be reversed (although it never is during discussions!) and it can be said that Lewandowski's assists count suffers because he never plays with equal or better finishers than him, so that he could take a back seat and create for them.

• Top 10 for La Liga goals (212), needs 40 to surpass Zarra and enter the Top 3 with Messi and Cristiano (which should be doable).
  • Top 3 for La Liga assists (114), trailing only Messi (129) and Xavi (216).
  • Top 4 for European Cup goals, ahead of man, many competition legends.
  • Top 10 for European Cup assists (27); with a real chance to enter the Top 5 (30), if not the Top 3 (35).
Though Lewandowski is tremendous in his own right — and sometimes misjudged as an opportunistic finisher when he has much more to his game (like the late, great Gerd Müller). A more consistently threatening apex predator than Benzema over the years. The fact that he averages 45+ goals for every season since 2015–16 is awe-inspiring, and you could argue that he is the best striker of his ilk over the last 40 years or so after only Marco van Basten — ahead of the likes of Batistuta, yes.

When I think about strikers that are ahead of Lewandowski, I think of Romario and Gerd Muller. Strikers who could match his longevity and consistency. Not about van Basten or R9, who had relatively short peak. Also I tend to disregard strikers who had all the skills required but couldn't put them into proper spotlight like Batistuta (despite me being a huge fan of his) or Kane.

To answer the question: I think it's not a controversial statement at all to slightly favor Benzema over Lewa right now, or this season only. You have to admire how he became a true leader of this Madrid squad. Also, this is a WC year and I think it's a safe bet to assume that France will do better than Poland there ;) so Benzema's stocks will only rise while Lewandowski's not so much.

If we're talking entire career then I believe Lewa is ahead by quite some distance. Maybe Benzema's fans are just really bad at arguing for his cause. If I was to do it, the first argument I would use would be the period of time when Benzema was tearing it up at Lyon while Lewandowski was only starting in the Polish league.
The "but he's better all-around player" argument doesn't work on me because we live in a period of time when almost all offensive players strive to be good all-around and every year we have a batch of new so-called "generational talents" who can supposedly adapt to any position over the offensive four. Meanwhile there's a drought of great goalscorers and maybe that impacts the way I rate players. This creates a situation where it's probably easier for a top club to replace an all-around player than it is to replace a great goalscorer. Maybe it's the matter of supply and demand after all?

Reactions: SilentWitness
There's no way on earth those 3 (especially Cavani) are better than Benzema.
The other 3 (Lewa, Suarez & Kane) are better goal scorers but Benzema's all round game is better than theirs (especially Lewa & Suarez).
I have a bit of a problem with this argument because it's only used one way when it should be used both ways.
People always say how Benzema's goal output suffers because he had to adapt to Ronaldo, but the argument can be reversed (although it never is during discussions!) and it can be said that Lewandowski's assists count suffers because he never plays with equal or better finishers than him, so that he could take a back seat and create for them.

When I think about strikers that are ahead of Lewandowski, I think of Romario and Gerd Muller. Strikers who could match his longevity and consistency. Not about van Basten or R9, who had relatively short peak. Also I tend to disregard strikers who had all the skills required but couldn't put them into proper spotlight like Batistuta (despite me being a huge fan of his) or Kane.

To answer the question: I think it's not a controversial statement at all to slightly favor Benzema over Lewa right now, or this season only. You have to admire how he became a true leader of this Madrid squad. Also, this is a WC year and I think it's a safe bet to assume that France will do better than Poland there ;) so Benzema's stocks will only rise while Lewandowski's not so much.

If we're talking entire career then I believe Lewa is ahead by quite some distance. Maybe Benzema's fans are just really bad at arguing for his cause. If I was to do it, the first argument I would use would be the period of time when Benzema was tearing it up at Lyon while Lewandowski was only starting in the Polish league.
The "but he's better all-around player" argument doesn't work on me because we live in a period of time when almost all offensive players strive to be good all-around and every year we have a batch of new so-called "generational talents" who can supposedly adapt to any position over the offensive four. Meanwhile there's a drought of great goalscorers and maybe that impacts the way I rate players. This creates a situation where it's probably easier for a top club to replace an all-around player than it is to replace a great goalscorer. Maybe it's the matter of supply and demand after all?

Im willing to bet that Benzema has a load more assists than Lewandowski..

Lewa is a great all round player but Benzema is a better one, there’s not a striker in he last 20 years whos ahead of him by some distance, probably R9 that’s all.

I also think Karim would have thrived in a one team league where he is undoubtedly the main man with the attacking going through him, as he is now.

Im willing to bet that Benzema has a load more assists than Lewandowski..

Lewa is a great all round player but Benzema is a better one, there’s not a striker in he last 20 years whos ahead of him by some distance, probably R9 that’s all.

I also think Karim would have thrived in a one team league where he is undoubtedly the main man with the attacking going through him, as he is now.
By the end of this season, Benzema will be 2nd all time Madrid top scorer and he's already their all time assist leader.

Pretty cool if you think about it from Madrid's standpoint.

They signed Benzema and Ronaldo the same summer. Fast forward to 2022. 4 UCL wins later.

Benzema all time assist leader, Ronaldo second.
Ronaldo all time leading scorer, Benzema second.

What incredible signings !

Has to go down as one of the best transfer windows of all time.

And to think if we got to hang on to Ronaldo and sign Benzema like SAF planned it could have been us.

By the end of this season, Benzema will be 2nd all time Madrid top scorer and he's already their all time assist leader.

Pretty cool if you think about it from Madrid's standpoint.

They signed Benzema and Ronaldo the same summer. Fast forward to 2022. 4 UCL wins later.

Benzema all time assist leader, Ronaldo second.
Ronaldo all time leading scorer, Benzema second.

What incredible signings !

Has to go down as one of the best transfer windows of all time.

And to think if we got to hang on to Ronaldo and sign Benzema like SAF planned it could have been us.
You raise points that are food for thought there. I have never even given the bolded a thought, let alone a second one. I'm trusting you with being correct about it! And if you are, I'm wondering what better windows a club have ever had on an all-time scale. Milan's Van Basten, Gullit coup could be a contender, but you have to say the Madrid pairing trump that on longevity alone, let alone trophies won.

Benzema all the way for me. Feels like the perfect modern-day striker.

He is the archetype. And Benzema doesn't miss big games, it's something that is almost amazing but even during his weaker seasons, Benzema would show up against Barcelona or during the CL KO stages which is uncanny.

Suarez has the most number of assists after Messi and Muller, he at his prime was a hackler and hustler with uneven moments of skills, driving everyone in his team. But somehow he isn't much other than goals and assists. Benzema has been great lately but to think he was anywhere near the level Suarez showed at his peak is ridiculous.

Do people have memory of a shrimp ? Or you lot have just started watching football ? Or it’s just a recency bias ?

Karim Benzema is an excellent striker but was never rated amongst the top tier of strikers all these years with the likes of Suarez, Aguero, Zlatan etc. Lewadowski belonged in that group but Benzema never was and the reason was he was never that prolific or that good. I know he was a fantastic foil for cr7 and sacrificed his game abit but he used to miss chances a lot I distinctly remember nobody no one rated him that highly amongst the very best. He used to get mocked at times. He has aged like a fine wine and there is a real dearth of strikers in the game. So he stands out more and more.

This is the list of good bad and top strikers in the game (last 15 years)

Tier 1
RVP
Zlatan
Aguero
Rooney
Suarez
Lewandowski
Tevez
David villa
Radamel Falcao
Drogba
Torres (for 3-4 yrs)

Tier 2
Benzema
Berbatov
Cavani
Aubameyang

Tier 3
Higuain
Costa
Dzeko
Giroud

Rancid tier
Morata
Lukaku

GOAT tier
Eder

GOD tier
Lord Nicklas of bendtner

Last edited:
Do people have memory of a shrimp ? Or you lot have just started watching football ? Or it’s just a recency bias ?

Karim Benzema is an excellent striker but was never rated amongst the top tier of strikers all these years with the likes of Suarez, Aguero, Zlatan etc. Lewadowski belonged in that group but Benzema never was and the reason was he was never that prolific or that good. I know he was a fantastic foil for cr7 and sacrificed his game abit but he used to miss chances a lot I distinctly remember nobody no one rated him that highly amongst the very best. He used to get mocked at times. He has aged like a fine wine and there is a real dearth of strikers in the game. So he stands out more and more.

Tier 1
RVP
Zlatan
Aguero
Rooney
Suarez
Lewandowski
Tevez
David villa
Radamel Falcao
Drogba
Torres (for 3-4 yrs)

Tier 2
Benzema
Berbatov
Cavani
Aubameyang

Tier 3
Higuain
Costa
Dzeko
Giroud

Rancid tier
Morata
Lukaku

GOAT tier
Eder

GOD tier
Lord Nicklas of bendtner
How is Berbatov in tier 2?

I haven't seen Lewandowski play all that much to be honest.

Dare I ask this....does Lewandowski actually score goals against anybody half-decent? In my mind, three Bundesliga goals = one PL goal or 1.5 La Liga goals

I haven't seen Lewandowski play all that much to be honest.

Dare I ask this....does Lewandowski actually score goals against anybody half-decent? In my mind, three Bundesliga goals = one PL goal or 1.5 La Liga goals

Yes, he is probably the best at doing that outside of Ronaldo.

Tier 1
RVP
Zlatan
Aguero
Rooney
Suarez
Lewandowski
Tevez
David villa
Radamel Falcao
Drogba
Torres (for 3-4 yrs)

Tier 2
Benzema
Berbatov
Cavani
Aubameyang

Tier 3
Higuain
Costa
Dzeko
Giroud

Rancid tier
Morata
Lukaku

GOAT tier
Eder

GOD tier
Lord Nicklas of bendtner

No Kane?

Tier 1
RVP
Zlatan
Aguero
Rooney
Suarez
Lewandowski
Tevez
David villa
Radamel Falcao
Drogba
Torres (for 3-4 yrs)

Tier 2
Benzema
Berbatov
Cavani
Aubameyang

Tier 3
Higuain
Costa
Dzeko
Giroud

Rancid tier
Morata
Lukaku

GOAT tier
Eder

GOD tier
Lord Nicklas of bendtner
How do you explain that Benzema has higher G+A contribution per minutes over his entire career than all of RVP,Henry,Tevez,Aguero,Rooney,Falcao,Villa,Drogba,Torres which you all ranked a tier above him?
On top of being arguably better than every single one of them beyond G+A in what he brings to a team + having outscored all of them in the CL, having more prestigious club trophies and a higher number of them

Sounds like you're the one not watching football to me.

How is Benzema in tier 2, the actual question?
You are right. I should have made the tier 1 for the very select few. Given I have included so many strikers in that list so Benzema excluded from there is abit harsh. Only Aguero, Suarez and lewandowski should belong in tier 1 given how prolific they have been all their careers. You may say Benzema should be there but those 3 are better than Karim Benzema in my opinion.

You are right. I should have made the tier 1 for the very select few. Given I have included so many strikers in that list so Benzema excluded from there is abit harsh. Only Aguero, Suarez and lewandowski should belong in tier 1 given how prolific they have been all their careers. You may say Benzema should be there but those 3 are better than Karim Benzema in my opinion.

There is no scenario where Aguero is better than Benzema.

I mean Benzema is good but my word do people love to change their opinions based on a single game.

That RM side really isn't as bad as some people are making out. Some of their players are getting on but thats still got a lot of the guts of the team that won the CL 3 times. Benzema isn't some poor striker getting fed on crumbs and half chances.

Very good striker but not that close to Lewa and I wouldn't say hes even as good as Kane. If I wanted to guarantee a goal from anywhere within 20 yards of goal it would be close between Lewa and Kane and Benzema would be third by a fair way.

Suarez and Lewandowski are more prolific than Benzema but Aguero isn't. He has worse G+A/M than him.
Also it can be argued that Suarez's abysmal CL record brings him down a level. A top striker like him should really have more CL goals, especially given the amount of games he's played with Barca, his away record is also simply shocking.

Tier 1
RVP
Zlatan
Aguero
Rooney
Suarez
Lewandowski
Tevez
David villa
Radamel Falcao
Drogba
Torres (for 3-4 yrs)

Tier 2
Benzema
Berbatov
Cavani
Aubameyang

Tier 3
Higuain
Costa
Dzeko
Giroud

Rancid tier
Morata
Lukaku

GOAT tier
Eder

GOD tier
Lord Nicklas of bendtner

How is Benzema, 4th top scorer in the history of the UCL, in the same brackets as Berbatov, i don't think even Man Utd fans rated Berbatov that high, he was a sub striker and only had one good season at Man Utd.

Berbatov isn't even better than Raul btw.

David Villa, Drogba, and Falcao better than Benzema hahahahah, sorry i can't....

Last edited:
At times this thread looks like it has Paco Jemez and Gary Lineker (in different years) discussing the topic :D

Jemez says in that audio that technically and decision wise Benzema reminds him of the best strikers he has played against, the best Romario, the best Bebeto, the best Ronaldo, how he makes the first touch and control and reads the game, he says that from the technical point of view he would struggle to find two players with that level. Then a journalist mentions Harry Kane and he says "with all due respect to Harry Kane, are you going to compare him to Benzema? I'm off to the gym".

Gary Lineker in 2017 vs Gary Lineker in 2022.

FNpA3v5WQAEOS9Z

At times this thread looks like it has Paco Jemez and Gary Lineker (in different years) discussing the topic :D

Jemez says in that audio that technically and decision wise Benzema reminds him of the best strikers he has played against, the best Romario, the best Bebeto, the best Ronaldo, how he makes the first touch and control and reads the game, he says that from the technical point of view he would struggle to find two players with that level. Then a journalist mentions Harry Kane and he says "with all due respect to Harry Kane, are you going to compare him to Benzema? I'm off to the gym".

Gary Lineker in 2017 vs Gary Lineker in 2022.

FNpA3v5WQAEOS9Z

That's the thing with Benzema. It may sound arrogant but you have to watch him, stat sheets don't tell you the complete story, I would also say that about Lewandowski. These two players have something that other strikers don't, their technical level is on an other level and it has been the case for years. And they both show up during big games. It's totally fair to point the finger at that period where Benzema was bereft of confidence in front of goal but as I said at the time, he was still doing everything else at the highest level, he was still important for Real Madrid and Ronaldo.

Idk.. I would never rate Lewa over Benz. The latter has always performed in important games whereas most of the times Lewa is just found stat-padding.

That's my take anyways. It can be shit but don't shoot the messenger.
Blatantly wrong though? Who can forget his 4 goal game against Real Madrid in the CL semi's? Literally one of the best striker performances I've ever watched in a huge moment