Best striker in the world: Benzema or Lewandowski?

Who is the best striker in the world at this moment in time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Staff
Who is it?

Should Kane be part of the conversation? Has Haaland done enough to be in the discussion?

Mods, poll per chance?

Both are amazing. No need to always compare. Just enjoy watching them.

I'll go with Benzema just due to level of competition in comparison to the team he has.

Take Lewa out of Bayern they still walk the league.

Take Benz out of Madrid they might not finish top 4.

Lewandowski is the superior goal scorer but Benzema is the better all round player IMO

Just a couple of days ago, I was trying to convince people that Benzema is easily one of the top 5 strikers in the last decade with some saying he is just overrated, how things change so fast :lol:

Both better than Kane. They’re the Shearer to Kanes Andy Cole. He’s a smidge off. But enough.

Lewa's peak I think trumps Benzema, but Benzema's consistency is insane, all-time great level. For feck sake we were jizzing over the thought of him joining us from Lyon 14 years ago, and he's been killing it since, despite paying second fiddle to Ronaldo for the guts of a decade. Unbelievable player.

It's crazy how the perception/narrative of Benzema completely flipped 180 since Real Madrid won La Liga.

5 years from now, people will say Benzema was Prime Thierry Henry & Prime Suarez rolled in one.

Lewa's peak I think trumps Benzema, but Benzema's consistency is insane, all-time great level. For feck sake we were jizzing over the thought of him joining us from Lyon 14 years ago, and he's been killing it since, despite paying second fiddle to Ronaldo for the guts of a decade. Unbelievable player.

Benzema's consistency at all-time great level? :lol:

There has been many seasons where most Real Madrid fans wanted him replaced. He never scored 25 league goals in his career. He was good throughout these years, but never considered even close to Suarez/Aguero/Lewandowski/Kane/Higuain/Zlatan/Cavani etc.

Last edited:
Still amazes me that he has more Ligue 1 medals than La Liga

I would honestly prefer Benzema in my team.

I honestly think he's great as a leading #9 and as a 2nd fiddle to someone like CR7(or Mbappe next season).

He's incredible.

He's definitely gone up a level the past 2 seasons as well.

It's crazy how the perception/narrative of Benzema completely flipped 180 since Real Madrid won La Liga.

5 years from now, people will say Benzema was Prime Thierry Henry & Prime Suarez rolled in one.

There has been many seasons where most Real Madrid fans wanted him replaced. He never scored 25 league goals in his career. He was good throughout these years, but never considered even close to Suarez/Aguero/Lewandowski/Kane/Higuain/Zlatan/Cavani etc.

He benched Higuain many a time, he’s the one still standing at Real even though they came to the club at the same time. He sacrificed a lot of his natural game to play an unselfish foil for CR7, but he’s up there with all the names you mentioned.

Overall would have him behind Lewandowski and Suarez but it’s close especially in regards to the comparison with Lewandowski.

Benzema is more pivotal to Real Madrid than Lewandowski is to Bayern. Real Madrid are 3-4 levels worse when he doesn’t play while Bayern can still dispatch most teams with ease in Lewa’s absence.

As a pure marksman, Lewa is probably slightly ahead but Benzema is the better all-round player. He’s just so classy with the ball and aesthetically more pleasing to the eye. They’re the two best strikers on the planet right now undoubtedly
and both would be a tremendous addition to any side.

He benched Higuain many a time, he’s the one still standing at Real even though they came to the club at the same time. He sacrificed a lot of his natural game to play an unselfish foil for CR7, but he’s up there with all the names you mentioned.

Overall would have him behind Lewandowski and Suarez but it’s close especially in regards to the comparison with Lewandowski.

Both Higuain & Benzema were rotated, neither of them was a clear-cut starter in Mouinho's Madrid team. And please cut the "Cristiano excuse". It's just a way to protect Benzema below average goalscoring production due to him being shite in front of goal.

I get Benzema has improved as a player recently, but let's not do revisionist history about Benzema's whole Madrid career

Lewanowski & Suarez are light years ahead of Benzema career wise. Same goes for Aguero, Kane, Zlatan, Cavani etc.

Anyone remember that Benzema was compared to R9 back in his youth days ? Imagine him and Rooney playing for us together

Both Higuain & Benzema were rotated, neither of them was a clear-cut starter in Mouinho's Madrid team. And please cut the "Cristiano excuse". It's just a way to protect Benzema below average goalscoring production due to him being shite in front of goal.

I get Benzema has improved as a player recently, but let's not do revisionist history about Benzema's whole Madrid career

Lewanowski & Suarez are light years ahead of Benzema career wise. Same goes for Aguero, Kane, Zlatan, Cavani etc.

There was one season where he was generally poor in front of goal, the 17-18 season. But then again that same season he did basically get them to the UCL final, scoring 2 goals (against Bayern) in the semi finals and a goal against Liverpool in the final.

Every other season he was involved in at least 30 goals in all competitions.

And you can make comps like that about anyone, CR7 has some himself floating around youtube. Proves nothing.

I understand your point about Suarez and Lewa, it's close. But as for Kane, Cavani, Aguero, Ibra, they're nowhere near Benzema, Benzema has more Knockout goals in the UCL than Kane has goals in the UCL. (He's like 3 knockout goals away from having more than Suarez as well). UCL is the toughest competition in the world and no striker (other than arguably Lewa) does it better than Benzema.

And just to mention as a lot of people seem to forget, Benzema was never Madrid's primary penalty taker until this season. That's unique in Benzema's case, to put it into perspective Ronaldo scored 79 penalties for Madrid, that's another 10 goals per season, every other striker you mentioned were primary penalty takers for all their clubs.

Benzema has scored 79 UCL goals and only one of them is a penalty (which was scored this season). He has more non penalty goals in the UCL than Lewandowski, with only Messi and Ronaldo scoring more.

Last edited:
Benzema has been great but also although Lewandowski also scored a hat-trick, you're probably going to get a very recency bias towards Benzema when you post a poll like that immediately after he just scores a hat-trick to knock PSG out. Be better to do a poll like that once the dust has settled in a summer time.

Lewandowski for sur, he’s just so insanely consistent. And while Benzema might add certain qualities to the team additionally compared to Lewa, it is goals that decide games and Lewandowski does score pretty often every season.

Last edited:

Jesus, did he shit in your breakfast or something?

There's no way on earth those 3 (especially Cavani) are better than Benzema.
The other 3 (Lewa, Suarez & Kane) are better goal scorers but Benzema's all round game is better than theirs (especially Lewa & Suarez).

I don’t have a lot of negative things to say about Lewa but I recall a few years ago people calling him a bottle job and that he never scores in big games. Let’s not pretend he’s always been highly viewed.

I am a big fan of Benzema, so I voted for him. Absolute beast of a player, Real fans didn't show him the deserved appreciation in the past.

Lewy. Easily so.

This is probably the worst possible time to take a poll given how reactionary Football fans are.

General opinion of Benzema has changed a lot. For many a year he was called “Benzemalo” because he was terrible, especially in front of goal. He was a joke for a long time.

He has certainly got better in recent years, though.

Lewy. Easily so.

This is probably the worst possible time to take a poll given how reactionary Football fans are.
Benzema has been playing at this level for about 3 seasons now. He carried the club when the only other player scoring double digits was Sergio Ramos two seasons ago

Benzema has been playing at this level for about 3 seasons now. He carried the club when the only other player scoring double digits was Sergio Ramos two seasons ago

Don't get me wrong. Benzema is amazing and was the most underrated player for a long time.

But players like Lewy and Suarez are a level above overall. Suarez lacks the consistency and longevity Benz has shown though.

Benzema has been great but also although Lewandowski also scored a hat-trick, you're probably going to get a very recency bias towards Benzema when you post a poll like that immediately after he just scores a hat-trick to knock PSG out. Be better to do a poll like that once the dust has settled in a summer time.
Lewandowski is seen - and has been for some time - as the best player in the world by some people, let alone best striker - or at least most worthy of winning the ballon d'or, so I doubt those who think it's Lewandowski will be swayed.

As far as neutrals go; it's nice to be reminded of just how good a player Benzema is, but I doubt a single game against a team that capitulated is going to have an overwhelming impact or leave the favourable impression.

What I do think is that there'll be more eyes on the pair of them from this point onwards in the CL, though.

Never considered close to Higuain, Zlatan and Cavani? Are you mental mate!? Does anyone rate any of these Benzema? I certainly don’t, I am sure Benzema’s CL trophies vouch for that as well. Higuain is fat and forgotten, Zlatan is a legend mostly for other things than his ability and Cavani has never won much and never played for a top team/league in his prime.

Don't get me wrong. Benzema is amazing and was the most underrated player for a long time.

But players like Lewy and Suarez are a level above overall. Suarez lacks the consistency and longevity Benz has shown though.

Suarez lacks consistency and logevity!? So many strange posts in here. After he started delivering for Liverpool back in… 2012 was it…he has been consistently world-class up until his age caught up with him last season. That’s 8+ years of absolute world-class performances, it’s not like it was 1-2 season of glory and then shit. Not all players have the physique to go on until 35, it’s about genes and luck just as much as dedication.

Always Benzema for me, there's a touch of magic and unpredictability in the way he plays that you don't see often from Lewandowski.

Also hilarious seeing people call someone who has scored 309 goals in 592 games shit in front of the goal.

I actually prefer Benzema — stylistically as well as in terms of importance to his side… but despite that I’d still say that Lewa is a marginally better striker.

I voted for Benz as I knew Lewa would be very far ahead . Actually probably prefer Lewa, but it should be close. No big deal though as they are both great players - the real crime is England/Spurs fans delusion that Harry Feckin' Kane comes anywhere near these two :lol: .

This might be a bit controversial/debateable:

But am I wrong to rate Benzema above Zlatan overall already??

I feel it's weird that Zlatan never recieved much flak for his performances in clutch moments especially in the Champions League. He markets himself as some sort of mentality monster.

I'm curious to know how people compare them 2 more than with Lewa or Suarez.

Suarez lacks consistency and logevity!? So many strange posts in here. After he started delivering for Liverpool back in… 2012 was it…he has been consistently world-class up until his age caught up with him last season. That’s 8+ years of absolute world-class performances, it’s not like it was 1-2 season of glory and then shit. Not all players have the physique to go on until 35, it’s about genes and luck just as much as dedication.

It's more boiling down to Suarez not sustaining his form recently but I probably worded my post harshly.

I get your point and agree with you. I put Suarez above Benzema overall. But both are tremendous.