Best manager to suit our current squad.

Mazroui and Dalot are not fast fullbacks at all, yoro is our only fast CB and he's injured and 18 years old. Most of our attackers have poor technique.

These are important things for our next manager.
Dalot absolutely is. He's one of our fastest players and (other than Walker) I'm not sure what fullbacks in the league are clearly faster.

Mazroui yes. He seems to have fairly average (maybe even below average) pace for a fullback.

Dalot absolutely is. He's one of our fastest players and (other than Walker) I'm not sure what fullbacks in the league are clearly faster.

Mazroui yes. He seems to have fairly average (maybe even below average) pace for a fullback.
Fair enough, but I don't see him using it often, but maybe it's because he's been on the left most the season.

Mazroui has deceptive pace, he has enough to not get blown by but also enough to push past players. More acceleration over short distances than full blown pace like Dalot but he's not slow by any means.

We need an head coach not a manager. Take the veto out of it. That way there isn’t any bias to keep picking certain players because you bought them in. Then you can freely pick the players in form that suit the clubs playing style and drop them when they are out of form.

When Yoro is fit, a manager that plays with a back 3 like Inzaghi or Amorim, I would also like to see Zirkzee and Hojlund in the same side to see how they would link up as I think their styles would suit eachother.

You are allowing the current malaise under this manager to colour your ratings on our players too much. If we're talking a full on PL title then sure we'd need a large rebuild, but we really should be competing for the last CL spot with our current spot and we only really need one midfielder and one attacker (if we get the right ones) to arguably be favourite for that spot and setting ourselves up to take advantage if any of the top three have an off-season. It's just that our players are being made to look worse than they really are due to ETH.

I'm not allowing anything, my friend. Squads exist neither on paper nor in a vacuum. For many years, this place has been judging players according to an imaginary potential. Can United get a CL spot? Sure, we can. In fact, we have done it under the current manager when we finished on 75 points (which, by my estimations, should be enough). The way we achieved it, though, by squeezing every last drop off the Bruno-to-Rashford route one football, should tell us all we need to know. We did it under Solskjaer (74 points), too, when Bruno was firing on all cylinders again and our attacking line consisted of Rashford, an experienced Cavani, an emerging Greenwood and a still able to run Martial.

But these seasons were the outliers and not the norm. The seasons that followed are indication enough. We like to pretend that there's a lot more potential to be unlocked, but reality showed us that we had actually hit our ceiling. And, IMHO, this is the valuable lesson our upper management and our fans often fail to grasp. There's an optimism that's, and i hate to say it, pretty much unfounded. We can blame ETH, Solskjaer or Rangnick for their shortcomings, but at some point we need to stop and think: What if this as good as it gets with the choices we have made?

Perhaps, most of our young and promising players will make the cut and prove food enough to play at the required level. Until then, i'm not holding my breath. I don't want this thread to become a discussion about this player or that. But i keep reading things like: "If the spaces were smaller when we defend, our defenders would look better", "if our midfielders were afforded more options on the ball, they wouldn't look lost", "the attackers make good early runs, but the ball doesn't get to them". Well, at this level, defenders are judged by their ability to be proactive and defend well in big spaces, the midfielders are judged by their ability to receive the ball under immense pressure and find a way to move it forward and the attackers' quality is measured by their ability to make things happen against tight defences when the spaces aren't there. Everybody can do it when they have all the time and the space in the world. So, we can get the next guy in, and he'll be a breath of fresh air at first, and we will hit a ceiling again (CL qualification). The problem is what happens afterward.

Seen it phrased around a few threads of late that we need another rebuild, players are crap etc.

We can’t afford another rebuild even if that was the case, we’ve just spunked 600m on ETHs old Ajax mates.

Who is the best manager in world football that could work with what we currently have and how would they play?

I don't know, but there are dozens of managers who would love to work with this squad. You can name all the likely candidates in the event of ETH getting the boot, and I think any of them would be able to make this team play much better and close to their real levels.

I feel like you, and many others have fallen for the narrative that this squad is bad, when it absolutely isn't, and also that a new manager will want to chop and change again as most of them will be incompatible for any manager not named ten Hag.

I'd say Ugarte is the only first team player currently at risk of this, but even he can definitely be "salvaged" and made use of by most managers IMO.

If you disagree with me, which players do you think would be binned under a new manager because they don't fit a certain style of play? Because like I said, I think almost everyone in our team is very well suited for every modern day footballing approach. I'd also say that there are huge similarities between the playing styles of all the top teams in European football right now, and even mid-table teams from the top 5-7 leagues of the continent, thanks to Guardiola and most managers heavily "copying" a lot of his principles. It's not the mid-2000s anymore when the differences in approaches could often be vastly different.

You are allowing the current malaise under this manager to colour your ratings on our players too much. If we're talking a full on PL title then sure we'd need a large rebuild, but we really should be competing for the last CL spot with our current spot and we only really need one midfielder and one attacker (if we get the right ones) to arguably be favourite for that spot and setting ourselves up to take advantage if any of the top three have an off-season. It's just that our players are being made to look worse than they really are due to ETH.
Bruno and Rashford are the same even under Ole and will be the same for our next manager.

I think we need someone more on the defensive side. Whenever we setup really compact and hit teams on the break we seem to get results more often than not. It’s not what we want to hear but that’s just where we are right now.

It’s been staring us right in the face for years. Statistically Mourinho was our best manager, and Ole in the period when we were a team who hit on the counter also went on great runs.

I don’t know what makes a high pressing game or a possession game not work at United. We’ve had different players over time so it can’t be the specific set of players, others in the league do it so it can’t be something PL-specific, and while I think our academy pumps out players that suit counterattacking best, it’s not like our team is full of academy players. It might be as simple as the fact that the possession football and pressing football managers we’ve had are just not that good at it.

The issue is that I don’t know if you win the league with defensive and counterattacking football. Hard to see. But I find it ridiculous anyway to talk about winning the league when we are on track for 10th this year and finished 8th last year. I’d want a manager who makes us a top 4 mainstay for 3-4 years and we could build on that

basil fawlty. fernandes has the features to play manuel. ron atkinson to play the major.

How? We don’t have wing backs and no left sided wing defender…
We don't? All our 3 fbs are more wing backs than classic defenders. All 3 are better in attacking phase than defensive phase. On top of that we have 6 central defenders.
On the other hand our wingers are weakest part of our team. With 3421 we can play 2 dmc/mc with Mount/Eriksen and Bruno as 2 attacking midfielders.

That is why i am so angry that we decided to miss on Tuchel. Awful mistake that. But Amorim is still there for taking.

My pick in the next manager thread is Inzaghi.

I really like the way Inter play and they were very unlucky against City in the UCL final last year.

Not only do they play with a back three, which I think could be good for this current squad as we have a lot of CBs (admittedly, some could do with upgrading) and our full backs are defensively weak (and there's slim pickings) so would do better as Wing Backs - that way you could be more flexible on who you select to play there.

But also, Inzaghi plays with a front two at Inter currently. I would like to try this with our squad as I don't think any of our forwards are good enough to lead the line as a solo striker right now. I think not only Hojlund and Zirkzee (and the kid in the U18s eventually) can play in the front two, but also Rashford and even Garnacho and Amad could thrive there.

Personally, I'm not too preoccupied with us being a possession side or high pressing (I think historically, if you look at the style of United's play it tends to be counter attacking, with emphasis on speed, width, getting the ball from our box to there's as fast as possible) but as I said, I'm not too attached to a particular style of play - all I want to see is the team creating lots of chances, showing passion and being positive while also being defensively strong. For me, Inzaghi ticks these boxes.

Fantastic post.

I would only add, perhaps obvious, that we need a massive upgrade at striker. But there here we are now, in the twilight zone with a manager who knows he’s done and will be sacked and the players know it. The new manager should be given free reign to upgrade the squad, starting with the striker.

We don't? All our 3 fbs are more wing backs than classic defenders. All 3 are better in attacking phase than defensive phase. On top of that we have 6 central defenders.
On the other hand our wingers are weakest part of our team. With 3421 we can play 2 dmc/mc with Mount/Eriksen and Bruno as 2 attacking midfielders.

That is why i am so angry that we decided to miss on Tuchel. Awful mistake that. But Amorim is still there for taking.

Dalot the “assist machine” is very overrated for his attacking capabilities, he really does not offer much in attack. Shaw even at his very best doesn’t have the athleticism to run up and down an entire wing for 90 minutes. Maz is the only one who could do a job.

And once one inevitably gets injured is your plan to play Licha or Jonny Evans as a wing back?

Saying 3-5-2 is suited to us is not really well thought out.

Carlo Ancelotti. Most pragmatic but also get respect. Originally thought Klopp but his high press high intensity would mean we would have 100 injuries in a season.

He would solidify our defense and midfield. Play a compact game but coach our attacking game with more intensity. People say Madrid have been ugly but effective and we honestly need that now.
Klopp for me

Reckon a few of our players will suddenly be available more when we’re decent

If Ten Hag managed at Ajax he would have been the perfect manager. He knows a lot of the players, has coached them before. Is good at developing young players and has a good record in Europe.

He also young and has a hunger to to succeed.

Oh but wait…