Music Bands you would love/hate to see reform.

Why are people saying Nirvana and Beatles? Is it a hypothetical where the dead could return too? In that case, I want The Doors
Given I mused that Cobain would need a special helmet to stop his brains dribbling out I think it's fair to say I wasn't being entirely serious.

Have any bands made really great music after returning?

Suede's last album was very good. A lot of people liked that Blur album too. Struggling to think of better examples...
Godspeed You Black Emperor came back from a kind of split with one of their best albums. Swans last couple of albums have been great.

My Bloody Valentine came back with a great album. Not sure if they every actually split or were just on a long hiatus.

Doesn't happen much though does it? For the best in most cases.

For what it's worth I'm really excited about LCD coming back though. I saw them live a few years ago - they were fantastic.

Godspeed You Black Emperor came back from a kind of split with one of their best albums. Swans last couple of albums have been great.

My Bloody Valentine came back with a great album. Not sure if they every actually split or were just on a long hiatus.

Doesn't happen much though does it? For the best in most cases.

For what it's worth I'm really excited about LCD coming back though. I saw them live a few years ago - they were fantastic.

Swans are a good shout, they've released three strong albums since they came back.

Yeah, I'm glad LCD are back too, have high hopes for the new album.

Given I mused that Cobain would need a special helmet to stop his brains dribbling out I think it's fair to say I wasn't being entirely serious.

Exactly, he'd be a bloody skeleton by now, no need for brain helmets!

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but anyway Mods feel free to move this. Pantera ("tribute") has finally played it's first gig, how do Metal fans feel about this abomination? Phil and Rex adding Wylde and CB to the mix is like Ringo and George playing as the Beatles with Jeff Lynne and Sting for Paul and John. That said CB was fantastic on the drums but Wylde left much to be desired, this just reeks of bolstering the retirement funds for Phil and Rex. Saw Pantera live in Barcelona years ago and they were absolutely unbelievable this just looks like a cover band.

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but anyway Mods feel free to move this. Pantera ("tribute") has finally played it's first gig, how do Metal fans feel about this abomination? Phil and Rex adding Wylde and CB to the mix is like Ringo and George playing as the Beatles with Jeff Lynne and Sting for Paul and John. That said CB was fantastic on the drums but Wylde left much to be desired, this just reeks of bolstering the retirement funds for Phil and Rex. Saw Pantera live in Barcelona years ago and they were absolutely unbelievable this just looks like a cover band.

I'm not bothered either way. The records I enjoy are there for me to listen to, just as they always have been. I was about ten years too late to see them live and I've made peace with that, I'm not in the slightest bit interested in this iteration.

I'm not bothered either way. The records I enjoy are there for me to listen to, just as they always have been. I was about ten years too late to see them live and I've made peace with that, I'm not in the slightest bit interested in this iteration.
I don't know what to say, one of these bands that have pretty die hard fans. Let's just say the reaction has been really mixed. https://www.wearethepit.com/2022/07/the-internet-reacts-to-pantera-reunion-tour-news/

Aren't The Police members still alive?

Also... Dire Straits and ehmm the original Therapy? line up with Fyfe Ewing on drums would be EPIC.

Seeing Pantera in June. As a "cover band" probably still better than 90% of modern metal bands.

Seen tons of bands with members replaced, and a lot of them were very good. Dead Kennedys without Jello was absolutely terrible.

Probably Oasis for me. And Fugazi. Definitely Fugazi.

This sort of thing seriously depends on the quality of the "replacement" musicians involved and how much of a purist you are. Don't care about Pantera but to stick with metal as an example, I saw Death To All a couple of times between 2013 and 2015, which is the "tribute" band of Death, featuring members that were involved in the original band, but obviously missing the band's founder, creative force, guitarist, vocalist, only constant member and allround metal legend Chuck Shuldiner.

Those live shows were some of the best metal shows I've ever attended, and everyone involved, be it on stage or in the audience, was having an absolute blast. It felt like a fantastic tribute to Chuck and it's great for those of us who never had the chance the see them when he was still alive. So I'm definitely not against revivals/tributes like this, as long as it's done well.

This sort of thing seriously depends on the quality of the "replacement" musicians involved and how much of a purist you are. Don't care about Pantera but to stick with metal as an example, I saw Death To All a couple of times between 2013 and 2015, which is the "tribute" band of Death, featuring members that were involved in the original band, but obviously missing the band's founder, creative force, guitarist, vocalist, only constant member and allround metal legend Chuck Shuldiner.

Those live shows were some of the best metal shows I've ever attended, and everyone involved, be it on stage or in the audience, was having an absolute blast. It felt like a fantastic tribute to Chuck and it's great for those of us who never had the chance the see them when he was still alive. So I'm definitely not against revivals/tributes like this, as long as it's done well.

Another good example, Alice In Chains. They replaced Layne Stanley and it worked out perfectly.

I still listen to Pantera regularly and I wouldn’t be up for it. Not Pantera without Dime. That being said I saw Down live in London about 15 years ago and it was pretty epic.

Seeing Pantera in June. As a "cover band" probably still better than 90% of modern metal bands.

Saw them on youtube, wasn't too bad really. Was worried about Phil's voice, but he sounded ok.
Doubt he'll do the high ones in Cemetary gates today, though...

I would've loved to see Death to all as they were a tribute band featuring guys who played with Chuck but this isn't called anything tribute. Phil isn't fooling anyone with this Dimebag and Vinnie tribute there was no love there.

I think it mainly comes down to how the two were presented. Touring as a tribute band, (literally) and under a different name in the case of Death to All is absolutely fair enough, but the remaining members of pantera are essentially treating it as if they’ve reformed and are using the original name. We also know there’s no chance either of the dead brothers would be ok with it.

If they took Zakk Wylde on tour and were billed as something else or even a new band entirely, I think people would see it differently. But you can’t have a reunion without half the band.

Seen tons of bands with members replaced, and a lot of them were very good. Dead Kennedys without Jello was absolutely terrible.

Probably Oasis for me. And Fugazi. Definitely Fugazi.

100%. It seems like if they were ever going to, they'd have already done it by now, and probably a long time ago. They're one of few bands I'd travel to see if it did happen.

Also, Dillinger Four. They've not even broken up, but they have all the activity of a band that has.

Another good example, Alice In Chains. They replaced Layne Stanley and it worked out perfectly.

They're very good also after his death,

but if there's ever been someone to describe as "having a voice like no other person", that'd be him (well there's always Freddie Mercury heh).
I think the chorus of "Man in the box" might be my favorite bit of singing of all time. Just immense, goosebumps-inducing every single time.

The Police are although Summers must be getting on now.

The Police reformed for a tour in 2007. I think Andy Summers needed the money.

I was so excited about seeing them in Croke Park, as they had been my favourite band in the early 80s

To be honest, it didn’t live up to my expectations at all. They appeared to be just going through the motions, there seemed to be no chemistry between band members or the crowd. The support act was a band fronted by Sting’s son, they were shite.

Some things are best left in history. I would still love to see Oasis live, but again I think they’d only do it for the money and it could be a damp squib as a result.

Saying that, the new Tears for Fears album released this year was magic.