Axel Witsel from Standard de Liège brakes Wasilewski's leg

He's been suspended for 10 games. Can't play league or cup games untill november 23rd.

Don't know what this means for European games, but I assume he can just play in these as this ban is set by the Belgian football association.

I don't have bigger picture, but still...

339pt2p.gif

:(

That's a nothing break, he needs to man up a bit.

Nah, that is actually quite horrifying, gotta feel for the guy.

We were linked with this utter twat. I hope I never see him in a United shirt!

He should get a lengthy ban, a few years would be justice but he'd probably get a few months. fecking animal!

Not that you're over reacting or anything?!

This kind of tackle can be seen every game throughout the world, where one player goes to ground and one player remains standing - the standing player must lift his foot or risk breaking his own ankle/lower leg! Okay maybe he doesn't have to bring his foot down and make contact but again the turning of the body could be him just trying to block the flight of the ball. Either way it's not conclusive meaning you cannot ban the player who is a professional himself obviously not an animal!

Freak things like this, where it's a flea's bollock away from being a broken leg or nothing at all shouldn't lead to outright condemnation influenced entirely by the severity of the injury.

The ban has been cut to eight games. Wasilewski is doing better than feared and could be back in training in March.

He's bound to say that though. Doesn't look very remorse full immediately after the challenge or as he's given a red card. The shoulders implying as if he didn't know why he was being red carded. He may well have said that and then changed his tune on the radio.

I don't get that at all.

I see him saying he didn't mean to injure the guy, inappropriate yes, but a natural reaction when you've done something this terrible. I highly doubt he is questioning the decision for a red card.

To be honest, this sort of thing is more probable these days, what with the pace of the game. It was a 50-50, and every player who goes into them runs the risk of getting injured, especially when travelling at that pace. All it takes is for a player to go in a little high, not even excessively high in some cases, and it can cause some real damage.
The lad deserves the ban just for the severity of the injury caused, but this can happen in any game at any time - the body isn't supposed to withstand such heavy blows when travelling at such pace.

The cnut should be banned for at least a few months.

That's horrific!

And his attitude after it is pathetic.

Saw a similar one from Sneijder this weekend. Shocking stuff really.
A bit more like the Eduardo-Taylor incident (without the consequences then ofc).
But the frustration with Sneijder was quite obvious at that time during the game.

To be fair on Witsel, that sort of tackle from his own perspective don't look that bad, just a 50/50 he went for that went high and he fecked it up, don't know what the hell he was trying to do though, put his football on top of the ball? Definete red though.

I think his reaction was hardly different to that Birmingham players. It isn't the sort of Materazzi-esque flying knee high two foot tackle from behind....

A bit more like the Eduardo-Taylor incident (without the consequences then ofc).
But the frustration with Sneijder was quite obvious at that time during the game.

that to me is a much worse challenge than witsel's, witsel and wasilewski was just bad luck for a simple 50-50, unlike that were sneijder goes in like a ninja

That was De Jong, wasn't it?

Arsenal, Man Utd among Premiership scramble for Standard Liege prospect Witsel
20.04.10 | tribalfootball.com

Premiership clubs are queuing up for Standard Liege youngster Axel Witsel.

Arsenal, Aston Villa, Manchester United, Manchester City, Everton and Birmingham City scouts have all been spotted at recent Standard games to check on Witsel.

A former Belgian Young Player of the Year, Witsel is considered the country's finest young talent.

Arsenal, Man Utd among Premiership scramble for Standard Liege prospect Witsel
20.04.10 | tribalfootball.com

Premiership clubs are queuing up for Standard Liege youngster Axel Witsel.

Arsenal, Aston Villa, Manchester United, Manchester City, Everton and Birmingham City scouts have all been spotted at recent Standard games to check on Witsel.

A former Belgian Young Player of the Year, Witsel is considered the country's finest young talent.

He is?

:nono:
Arsenal would never sign someone who broke someone's leg and play dirty. They are all angels.

They had him listed as the top one though, which I thought was supposedly Hazard.

Well I still think there is a case for locking them all in a large cargo container and forcing them to fight to the death, whoever emerges after 2 days can then quite rightly call himself the very best of the bunch.

However I think you may be right on this one and I stand corrected.