Axel Witsel from Standard de Liège brakes Wasilewski's leg

Seriously though

Once you've shown you're willing to do that on a football pitch, why should you be allowed to ever play again?

Good luck to the guy in his recovery

Should be a long ban. 3-6 months IMO. I bet he is devestated by what he has done and i'm sure he didn't intend to do such damage but football has to put out a message that these tackles can not be tolerated. As with drunk drivers who don't intend to injure people, the wreckless behaviour particularly when it leads to such damge has to be strongly punished.

Honestly, I don't think there's a pro in the world who would need to see a big punishment, in order to realise what challenges like this could cause. The photos alone do that.

One of the most horrific injuries I've ever seen. Best wishes and a speedy recovery to Marcin Wasilewski!

Terrible injury but the tackle was nothing - it look much worse in slow motion but watched at full speed it was just clumsy/careless which deserved a red for the studs up and not for the extent of the injury. It didn't look like there was any intent and there was no stamp. He just poked his foot in speculatively with bad results. Stupid but not malicious.

He will probably get a ban because of the injury but he should only get the standard for a red.

I believe the lad has no intention of injuring the player. He isn't a Ben Thatcher. However, Uefa has got to set a precedent on dangerous reckless tackles. Educate the footballers, tell them that if u go in studs showing, like Witsel did, u risk not only immediate punishment, ie a red card, but also facing a hearing after the game, which may result in a long ban, depending on the severity of the injury. Also, let the players know that should it result in a long term injury or career ending, he will be liable to be sued for damages. It's as simple as that. It's just isn't fair for a professional to have his career ended by some reckless challenge, while the culprit goes on to enjoy full earnings of his career after a 5 months ban. The punishment is just not justifiable.

No reason to think that such a break can't be fixed. Hopefully he will start next season fit and well.

This is why studs up tackles are outlawed.

Terrible injury but the tackle was nothing - it look much worse in slow motion but watched at full speed it was just clumsy/careless which deserved a red for the studs up and not for the extent of the injury. It didn't look like there was any intent and there was no stamp. He just poked his foot in speculatively with bad results. Stupid but not malicious.

He will probably get a ban because of the injury but he should only get the standard for a red.

I completely agree, I think a lot of people are going overboard. I mean Keane's tackle on Haagland was malicious this was just a shit tackle at full speed, and everything went wrong.

It's funny when people like Brad say he shouldnt be allowed to play football again, dont think he has ever said anything about Keane like that.

I believe the lad has no intention of injuring the player. He isn't a Ben Thatcher. However, Uefa has got to set a precedent on dangerous reckless tackles. Educate the footballers, tell them that if u go in studs showing, like Witsel did, u risk not only immediate punishment, ie a red card, but also facing a hearing after the game, which may result in a long ban, depending on the severity of the injury. Also, let the players know that should it result in a long term injury or career ending, he will be liable to be sued for damages. It's as simple as that. It's just isn't fair for a professional to have his career ended by some reckless challenge, while the culprit goes on to enjoy full earnings of his career after a 5 months ban. The punishment is just not justifiable.

The severity of the injury isn't really the issue. If he had gone out to break the guy's leg and failed then that might be an issue for the governing body to review the case but since it was an offence that was punished as it should have been during the game the fact that the opponent was injured badly shouldn't get the offender a harsher sentence. It was a lazy and careless tackle with studs showing and worthy of a red but no more.

As for the earnings and legal issues they are available now which is why most clubs have insurance for such things.

It looked like a simple (straight break) closed fracture of both bones (from what little we saw) so the prognosis should be good. Fingers crossed for the guy. There is something about a limb waving around like that that is really disturbing.

Yeah it did appear to be a closed fracture, which is so important, it heal more quickly and has much less chance of becoming infected. Hopefully he doesnt get a fat emboli though, one of my buddies did after he snapped his femur in a ski accident but he made it out ok.

Open? Bugger. It didn't look open but I guess the sock and shin guard could have hidden that. Thankfully.

That just added a few months to the recovery time

What a nightmare for him. As it's open the key will be to avoid infection. It was infection that finished David Busst and not actually the break. He was on local tv a few years ago down here, his leg looks like its been bitten by a shark not good.

Some of the reactions of his team mates:

Defour: "I don't want to comment on Witsel's tackle. I just want to say that just prior to that incident, two fouls have been committed against me."

Sarr: "Wasilewski stepped on Witsel's back a few years ago."

Manager Böloni: Ref should have stopped play because of two fouls by Anderlecht just prior to the Witsel-tackle.

Embarassing stuff really.

In the same game, Anderlecht midfielder Polak got injured as well in an incident with De Camargo (was also a bit of a reckless foul). He's got torn knee ligaments and is out for 6 months as well.

After Wenger's comments on Fletcher, and with Liege being in the same group as Arsenal in the CL I was almost tempted to suggest... no forget it.

I completely agree, I think a lot of people are going overboard. I mean Keane's tackle on Haagland was malicious this was just a shit tackle at full speed, and everything went wrong.

It's funny when people like Brad say he shouldnt be allowed to play football again, dont think he has ever said anything about Keane like that.

Keane's tackle was more malicious as it was premeditated and intentional but it was less dangerous than this tackle. Anyway, I think Keane ended up serving a 7 match ban after that (including the additional ban after his comments in the book) which is no more than he deserved.

I agree that this is a shit tackle at full speed but there need to be set examples so players don't make those shit tackles at full speed. They are dangerous and has nothing to do on a football pitch. I think the Eduardo incident was blown out of proportions because that tackle wasn't made at such a high speed although his studs were up but the reactions to this tackle is justified imo. Coming in at that speed with studs showing is very dangerous and can end a career in an instant. An example should be set (10-game ban is sufficient imo) and followed up in later similar cases regardless of the consequences.

ffs some of the posts in this thread are a disgrace, it was clearly accidental and could happen in any game, all this talk of a year ban is embarassing yourself

Tackles like that does not happen in every game, thankfully, and the punishment should reflect the severity of the case. A year ban is going way over the top but like I said, a 10-match ban would be more than fair.

Wow, that got my goosebumps going. That has to be one of the most horricific things i have seen happen on a football pitch.

Hoping a speedy recovery for him.

Burn the Witch...BURRRN HIIIM!!!!!

..sorry, getting a bit knee jerk there...well, maybe thats an..erm...insensitive thing to say...er...hope he gets better soon, break a leg....oh shit no, erm....feck!

The poof. In a match I once broke my ancle, both arms and neck and still scored a hatrick. They're all pansies nowadays.