Axel Witsel from Standard de Liège brakes Wasilewski's leg

FM legend that guy

Like I said in the 'Belgian Football' thread, you can tell it's a malicious challenge, and one that's clearly designed to put one of the most important defensive players of one of your rivals out for a long time. A horrible, calculated challenge. Makes for sickening viewing, and you can tell from the other Anderlecht player's reaction that it looked just as bad on the pitch itself.

Just to add some balance the guy is 19/20 yrs old, not that this ever excuses but I hope he get severly punished and I hope he learns from this.

He is a very good player and a better human being than that tackle suggests.

fecking hell! Never mind playing again, he`ll be happy enough to walk again after that.

I doubt he meant to break the other guy's leg. It was reckless, but no way worthy of anything more than a short ban.

I doubt he meant to break the other guy's leg. It was reckless, but no way worthy of anything more than a short ban.
This is not your typical 'silly lunge causes excessive consequences' though in my opinion. What in science's name is he trying to do there? Trying to step on the ball or something? There is no football-related reason to make a move like that.

This is worse than the Taylor/Eduardo incident in my opinion (when discussing intent, not talking about the consequences).

And what's worse is his reaction afterwards. He seemed surprised he had to go off.

631917776.jpg

Just listened to his interview and he did apologise for the tackle, saying he didn't intended to hurt the player.

This is not your typical 'silly lunge causes excessive consequences' though in my opinion. What in science's name is he trying to do there? Trying to step on the ball or something? There is no football-related reason to make a move like that.

This is worse than the Taylor/Eduardo incident in my opinion (when discussing intent, not talking about the consequences).

Much much worse, with Taylor, he was done by the speed of Eduardo's turn. This was premeditated. Absolute filth of a human being. He should be sued if the other guy can't return to football (similar to the trial in which SAF gave evidence).

When stamping on an opponent, you should know what can happen. Should be banned for years!

I take it you took the same stance with Roy Keane after his deliberate foul on Haaland back in 2001?

And what's worse is his reaction afterwards. He seemed surprised he had to go off.

631917776.jpg

Afterwards, he apparently said something along the lines of 'in football, these things can happen'...

Good to see remorse, what a fecking cnut:mad::o

I take it you took the same stance with Roy Keane after his deliberate foul on Haaland back in 2001?

Yep, regardless of him being a United player. I felt Keane was worthy of his ban. Even Keane had a reason (after his injury a few years before that) but that doesn't excuse it though. This guy, does that and then shows no remorse; "things like that happen in football", lets hope he's never on the receiving end of a challenge like that.

Should be a long ban. 3-6 months IMO. I bet he is devestated by what he has done and i'm sure he didn't intend to do such damage but football has to put out a message that these tackles can not be tolerated. As with drunk drivers who don't intend to injure people, the wreckless behaviour particularly when it leads to such damge has to be strongly punished.

Listened to the interview myself now, and he was very remorseful to be fair. Apologised multiple times.
Changed my post already. Shouldn't believe what others tell me apparently.

He's bound to say that though. Doesn't look very remorse full immediately after the challenge or as he's given a red card. The shoulders implying as if he didn't know why he was being red carded. He may well have said that and then changed his tune on the radio.

they should ban the players for however long it takes the injured player to come back match fit

they should ban the players for however long it takes the injured player to come back match fit
Don't think that would work. Say a great player injures a not so great player. The team with the not so great player who is injured could insist he is injured, even though he maybe able to play just so the great player can't play. Especially if they are playing against each other.

horrific injury. But it just shows how easily this sort of thing can happen. The speed the game is played at now makes it all the more dangerous.

Hope this doesn't have a major effect on the lads improvement as a player because he was a player touted to have a great future ahead of him. Hope he gets back on the pitch as soon as possible.

Don't think that would work. Say a great player injures a not so great player. The team with the not so great player who is injured could insist he is injured, even though he maybe able to play just so the great player can't play. Especially if they are playing against each other.

Why should the team in question be able to have anything to say regarding its player's injury ? It would be up to every FA to have its own independent doctors who would determine when the player is definitely fit to play again.

However in some instances this does not even occur and the injured player has to call a day to his career, in which case do you reckon it's fair to end the other player's career likewise, for a simple challenge that may not even be voluntary ? (Remember that Larsson injury for instance, or the Djibril Cissé ones)

I think we should indeed suspend the player who committed the injury for the length it takes for the other to recover, but for a maximum of a year because no such action on a football pitch should be punished more harshly.