Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I had more hope with Fulham and Spurs than this one, but hey that's why the game is still played. We came close with Spurs so who knows. Can only our bit and beat Everton. On form, we have the tougher game.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
When you’re up against a doper who has perfected his doping game and achieved complete mastery of the competition through an organised doping programme which meticulously takes care of all variables to leave him with no concerns regarding the outcome of the race, you have two options.

Either do an Ulrich/Pantani and try to play him at his own game, by trying to dope harder. That won’t be possible, because he got there first, wrote the textbook, made all the moves to get himself into an unassailable position, and the gap’s too big to bridge. But you might be able to land a blow or two if he gets unlucky or complacent.

Or you accept that you’re not winning. The gap’s too big. It’s a sham competition with a predetermined outcome. And until the authorities grow a pair and impose the rules on the doper he’ll keep doping and winning.

So yeah, arsenal. It’s pointless talking endlessly about which games they dropped points in where they shouldn’t have. The bottom line is that it’s a superb, well balanced team that is extremely well coached, creates a huge number of chances, converts them successfully, controls games, concedes rarely, and has had an exemplary season. But it’s not enough, because the gap to the doper is just too big. So they’ll end up without a trophy unless they get very, very lucky today. We’ve found this out repeatedly during klopp’s time with us.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
When you’re up against a doper who has perfected his doping game and achieved complete mastery of the competition through an organised doping programme which meticulously takes care of all variables to leave him with no concerns regarding the outcome of the race, you have two options.

Either do an Ulrich/Pantani and try to play him at his own game, by trying to dope harder. That won’t be possible, because he got there first, wrote the textbook, made all the moves to get himself into an unassailable position, and the gap’s too big to bridge. But you might be able to land a blow or two if he gets unlucky or complacent.

Or you accept that you’re not winning. The gap’s too big. It’s a sham competition with a predetermined outcome. And until the authorities grow a pair and impose the rules on the doper he’ll keep doping and winning.

So yeah, arsenal. It’s pointless talking endlessly about which games they dropped points in where they shouldn’t have. The bottom line is that it’s a superb, well balanced team that is extremely well coached, creates a huge number of chances, converts them successfully, controls games, concedes rarely, and has had an exemplary season. But it’s not enough, because the gap to the doper is just too big. So they’ll end up without a trophy unless they get very, very lucky today. We’ve found this out repeatedly during klopp’s time with us.
Yeah, it’s seriously sad. Alongside all of City’s structural advantages, they’ve also had a decent slice of good old fashioned luck in the run-in. They conceded 4 xG to Forest and Spurs without conceding and actual goal. And the players missing the big chances (Woods and Son) have been so clinical this season and picked the most inconvenient time (for Arsenal) to suddenly become wasteful.

I’m hoping between Bowen, Kudus, Paqueta and Antonio, somebody makes themselves a hero.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
Yeah, it’s seriously sad. Alongside all of City’s structural advantages, they’ve also had a decent slice of good old fashioned luck in the run-in. They conceded 4 xG to Forest and Spurs without conceding and actual goal. And the players missing the big chances (Woods and Son) have been so clinical this season and picked the most inconvenient time (for Arsenal) to suddenly become wasteful.

I’m hoping between Bowen, Kudus, Paqueta and Antonio, somebody makes themselves a hero.
We may well be capable of getting a goal against then. It's just our defense has been so leaky that they will probably slot 3 or 4 past us in only 2nd gear sadly!

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

89' West Ham penalty to make it 1-1. Paqueta wrestle the ball from Bowen, skies it and joins City 2 weeks later.

TheReligion

Abusive
Which were the key results that cost Arsenal? Interesting reading really as I’d forgot some of these;

2-2 v Spurs (h)
2-2 v Chelsea (a)
1-0 v Newcastle (a)
1-0 v Villa (a)
0-2 v West Ham (h)
2-1 v Fulham (a)
0-2 v Villa (h)

- Zero points from West Ham and Villa at home is really poor.

- Villa seemed to have their number, doing the double over them this season.

- The dropped points (4) in the draws with Spurs and Chelsea must sting now.

All in all a really good season from Arsenal but some results in that batch above, especially the West Ham and Fulham ties, which you just can’t drop and get away with. I also think home has to be a fortress.

Winrar

Which were the key results that cost Arsenal? Interesting reading really as I’d forgot some of these;

2-2 v Spurs (h)
2-2 v Chelsea (a)
1-0 v Newcastle (a)
1-0 v Villa (a)
0-2 v West Ham (h)
2-1 v Fulham (a)
0-2 v Villa (h)

All in all a really good season from Arsenal but some results in that batch above, especially the West Ham and Fulham ties, which you just can’t drop and get away with. I also think home has to be a fortress.
Getting 1 point from Fulham and Villa is really poor in an otherwise stellar season.

erikcred

2-2 v Spurs (h)
2-2 v Chelsea (a)
1-0 v Newcastle (a)
1-0 v Villa (a)
0-2 v West Ham (h)
2-1 v Fulham (a)
0-2 v Villa (h)

All judges gave an 8.5 for their dives this season. Still room for improvement.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal

2-2 v Spurs (h)
2-2 v Chelsea (a)
1-0 v Newcastle (a)
1-0 v Villa (a)
0-2 v West Ham (h)
2-1 v Fulham (a)
0-2 v Villa (h)

VAR not doing their job properly in the Newcastle and West Ham games really cost us.

90 + 5min

2-2 v Spurs (h)
2-2 v Chelsea (a)
1-0 v Newcastle (a)
1-0 v Villa (a)
0-2 v West Ham (h)
2-1 v Fulham (a)
0-2 v Villa (h)

They got few points because of some stupid decisions. We can start with their win against us where Garnacho got a goal disallowed for some wierd offside lines and Arsenal got one allowed where there was clear foul on Evans. 3 points for Arsenal instead of 3 points for us.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
There are 115 reasons Arsenal won't win the league this season. Scrub the cheats and Arsenal are champions.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I do wish they would stop all the fawning over City's achievements. It's like heaping praise on Armstrong when we knew he was under investigation.

Great players and manager ...sure but there is a huge cloud here.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Well good season lads! No shame in that. Martinelli was probably our best player today. Was another one of those subpar performances.

Redstain

Solid season, two consecutive league campaigns challenging a feat no United team or manager has achieved with over a billion spent over 10 years.

It's not an easy achievement given City's resources and having the best manager in the game.

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
Proud of this team, that have matured a lot this year. All we need is a X factor, hopefully we will have a good transfer window.

Mike Smalling

They've been really good over two seasons, but correct me if I wrong, they haven't had to deal with a lot of injuries to key players have they? I'd like to see how they get on with Ødegaard, Saliba or Rice missing for extended periods next year.

Someone

Something
They've been unlucky going against this City side, but at the same time lucky to have no competition from United and Chelsea who are at their weakest form in decades.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They've been really good over two seasons, but correct me if I wrong, they haven't had to deal with a lot of injuries to key players have they? I'd like to see how they get on with Ødegaard, Saliba or Rice missing for extended periods next year.
Last year Saliba got injured and that's why they ended the season crap.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They deserve it, and it’s sad for football they haven’t won it. Another team, another manager and more fans robbed of history and a special moment.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Brilliant couple of seasons of nearly winning the league from them. Brendan Rodgers would be proud.