Antony under investigation by Brazilian authorities for domestic abuse | Back in the squad

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Why aren't they using the Mason Greenwood rule with Antony? Why is Antony allowed back in the squad whilst eh investigation is still ongoing? I know arsenal have done that with a certain someone but why are united using one rule for Greenwood and another for Antony? Have the club got the balls to face up to the public backlash and the inevitable Rachel Riley tweets?
Antony hasn't been charged. He was interviewed yesterday for hours by police and United feel he has provided enough evidence to prove his innocence.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Being a shitty person and a shitty boyfriend to your partners isn't a criminal offence. You can be both those things and not somebody who physically and sexually assaults people.
Where did I say it was? I said fair enough.

evil_geko

Why aren't they using the Mason Greenwood rule with Antony? Why is Antony allowed back in the squad whilst eh investigation is still ongoing? I know arsenal have done that with a certain someone but why are united using one rule for Greenwood and another for Antony? Have the club got the balls to face up to the public backlash and the inevitable Rachel Riley tweets?
Antony has not been charged.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Bad news. Don't want the scumbag back at the club!

You don't call out a doctor, your girlfriend has a ruptured implant and alleges her partner is responsible without there being some truth behind it.
I'm sorry but this is just a stupid statement all round.

What if she attacked him and he had to defend himself? He's not the biggest guy and even he hurt her maybe it was unintentional. That's only one scenario and it may be he's in the wrong but surely the police would have done something if they had something a bit more solid?

Only the participants know what happened and condemning him without strong evidence goes the other way.

Archi

You don't call out a doctor, your girlfriend has a ruptured implant and alleges her partner is responsible without there being some truth behind it.
No one can say for sure if he is guilty or innocent, and it should always be innocent until proven guilty. Did she allege that Antony was responsible as it happened or was it down the line when they were no longer together? It's possible she has her own dishonest motives, it is possible that Antony has harmed her, it's probably 50/50 chance. If he is guilty it will come to the light eventually and he will be punished, but what's the point of punishing him before being proven guilty.. just appeasing the woke crowd?

saik

Fair enough. Like they said in the statement, as his employer they can't suspend him until he's actually charged with something. As it stands right now they are just allegations and looks like he has cooperated with both Brazilian and GMP police.

Makes sense to bring him back into the squad if he is in the right headspace to play.

Delano

And this is the crux of it. United have a duty of care towards their employee.

He's given his side in the UK and Brazil, so untill he is charged, there isn't really a grounds to suspend him.

If the police see something in the evidence that gives them grounds to charge him, then we'll rightfully suspend him.

CloneMC16

That's fair. He's spoken to the police and they haven't charged him. He should be able to play. If that changes, you suspend him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
No one can say for sure if he is guilty or innocent, and it should always be innocent until proven guilty. Did she allege that Antony was responsible as it happened or was it down the line when they were no longer together? It's possible she has her own dishonest motives, it is possible that Antony has harmed her, it's probably 50/50 chance. If he is guilty it will come to the light eventually and he will be punished, but what's the point of punishing him before being proven guilty.. just appeasing the woke crowd?

Brophs

The One and Only
United need to stop coming to these conclusions. No one asked them to and they’re not qualified.

TsuWave

I hope you’re never in a position of decision-making and/or policing/legal power.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
United really are the club with no morals.

Horrific decision but expected as much from them
Based on what? Whobare you to know more than those involved? Or are you just another one who loves to take the moral high ground?

TsuWave

:lol: word is the biggest dogwhistle around

United need to stop coming to these conclusions. No one asked them to and they’re not qualified.
Maybe I’m reading it wrong but it reads as United is satisfied he’s provided enough evidence to support his denials - not that United concluded he’s clear of any wrongdoing.

It reads as insight/explanation of their decision for the moment. Not a declaration of Antony’s innocence

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Go support another team then. Funny how many fans have insider knowledge or have seen more evidence than the police

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The issue is he’s not been charged with anything. City played Mendy, Arsenal are playing Partey, Brighton played Bissouma, Bayern played Ribery the list goes on. It’s a mix of football clubs not caring / as employers not being able to drop them if they are only being investigated and not yet charged
You have to protect all parties. Mendy was found not guilty and look how his career developed…

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not sure I'd have expected much more from United, pending further developments.

ScholesyTheWise

I feel like I'm one of his biggest ""haters"" so-to-speak,
in the sense that I moan about his weaknesses plenty of times.
I have no real hopes for him to improve dramatically and I wish we upgraded on him.

Still, I can't understand anyone who would think it's wrong of us to let him back in the side right now.
The moment he's charged with something- if that ever happens- we should and will make sure he's not a part of the team.
Until then- why the heck should we deprive him of the right to do his job?

He took a leave of absence which was the right call, he met with the police which seemed to have worked well for him...
What more could we ask him to have done?

ScholesyTheWise

Also, this. The club shows enough support by letting him back to the side.
A football club shouldn't publicly voice opinions on whether X took place or not.
We're no judge nor a police force.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's good to have extra bodies but we've not even slightly missed him while he's been gone.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hopefully we don’t regret this decision.

Will be very happy to have him back on the right given other options currently.
Why would we regret it? We have said we will monitor the outcome and change course if needed. We aren’t saying we support violence or framing a footballer.

Castia

He’s come out fighting and it seems to me that he’s confident of getting this accusation dropped. The police don’t seem to be in a rush to hold him either.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If he's co-operated with the authorities and they've found nothing to caution, arrest or charge upon, then Manchester United certainly can't be the judge, jury and executioner any longer.

Obviously if the situation changes then absolutely re-consider.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Good news but I hope they don’t end up buckling due to social media backlash like we did with Greenwood

Barthez

Good.
What’s he been charged with by either the British or Brazilian authorities?
Answer - Nothing.