Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raphinha wanted to go to Barcelona and Leeds wouldn’t have sold to us either. Antony is also younger and it’s 50-50 whether he starts ahead of him for Brazil. Where he plays is irrelevant - he’s one of the best young left footed right wingers around and he knows ETH and his system. Richarlison I’d have liked - but he doesn’t play on the left.
I can agree with a lot of that, just wary of talent from smaller leagues for that kind of money. Memphis demolished the Eredivise and looked average at best for us.

Oh and of course Leeds would've sold to us, that's what they do

I would rather buy Zaha on the cheap with him having 1 year left on his contract and we have the sell on clause if cp were to sell to anyone else so we could probably get him for 20-30 mil, premier league proven and is always a handful

I can agree with a lot of that, just wary of talent from smaller leagues for that kind of money. Memphis demolished the Eredivise and looked average at best for us.

Oh and of course Leeds would've sold to us, that's what they do
Not for the same price. And Luckhurst said something about us not going in for another Leeds player after Phillips turned us down.

And he's shown it in the PL

Fair enough.

But all im saying is that this is not the summer to be scrimping and saving. This is the summer to back the new manager and actually give him the players he needs for us to get fourth again.

Last season (and the beginning of this season) has all but proved that a majority of the current crop are dead on their feet. They need a lift from the new faces and big names that come in.

The glazers havent put a CENT into this club. Its been almost 20 years now. If there was a time to repay it back, then its NOW.

Their investment stands to lose alot of value if we continue to crash out of the CL and become a laughing stock.

Typically 67 million euros quickly became 80 million pounds to make it sounds bigger/worst.

Now its 100 million euros which is 84 million pounds...similar to Pogba back in 2016.

It's a shit tonne of money but that's what it costs today. Nunez to Liverpool was 85 million aka 100 million.

Typically 67 million euros quickly became 80 million pounds to make it sounds bigger/worst.

Now its 100 million euros which is 84 million pounds...similar to Pogba back in 2016.

It's a shit tonne of money but that's what it costs today. Nunez to Liverpool was 85 million aka 100 million.
And they've been thoroughly ridiculed for it

I’m not sure of the relevance? We were discussing the price tags of Raphinha, Richarlison and Antony
It’s the same as what I said to another poster. There’s an argument to be made that being proven in a top league like the PL is more important than participating in the CL or international football.

It’s the same as what I said to another poster. There’s an argument to be made that being proven in a top league like the PL is more important than participating in the CL or international football.

And there’s an argument to say the opposite?

All are in the same price bracket so I don’t see the big drama

Blows my mind that anyone still gives a flying fig about the cost of the deal when all indications point to it not affecting how many players we bring in. Our squad is in dire shape and the most stupidly simple solution is a few players that know exactly how ETH wants to play. That alone will be miles better than a bargain buy who then has to come in and adapt. Over pay, screw the Glazers, and steady the ship.

And if Antony is a flop, go and spend £100M on another player in a couple seasons. But sell him as early as possible so that he doesn't leave on a free, recouping some of the fee at the least. That's basically how City's back line and midfield has been formed. A combination of shrewd buys and throwing money. We don't have the luxury of waiting for the right hire and scouted players because it's been almost ten gawd dayum years of that not working.

I don’t think £67m is actually out of the realms of what I’d expect for a player of Antony’s potential. I think considering he’s now throwing a strop that we shouldn’t go any higher because that is very much a good offer and he’s basically saying “that’s a good deal and you’re just blocking me”

Blows my mind that anyone still gives a flying fig about the cost of the deal when all indications point to it not affecting how many players we bring in. Our squad is in dire shape and the most stupidly simple solution is a few players that know exactly how ETH wants to play. That alone will be miles better than a bargain buy who then has to come in and adapt. Over pay, screw the Glazers, and steady the ship.

And if Antony is a flop, go and spend £100M on another player in a couple seasons. But sell him as early as possible so that he doesn't leave on a free, recouping some of the fee at the least. That's basically how City's back line and midfield has been formed. A combination of shrewd buys and throwing money. We don't have the luxury of waiting for the right hire and scouted players because it's been almost ten gawd dayum years of that not working.

Blows my mind too.

Almost like the lot of them are accountants for glazers plc.

You'd think in a time like this, when we are on the verge of pulling a liverpoo or arsenal, we'd try to do whatever is necessary to bring in the BEST players possible to ensure it doesnt happen. Make no mistake, we're on the precipice of going into the wilderness for years and years if we dont arrest the decline NOW.

We've had more than a billion pounds taken out of our club over the years.

Do you think its time for the Glazers to put their own money back into the club and protect their investment?

Money should not be an issue this summer. Getting the best players in is of utmost importance. This club should not be parading around with McFred in midfield and Dalot at fecking right back.

Nor should we continue playing an out of form Rashford or wantaway Ronaldo.

Antony is worth 50 million at most. United and Ten Hag have become desperate after the bad start. Do you ever want United to win trophies? That's not going to happen if you buy players like Antony and Gakpo.
I've not seen near enough of Antony to say one way or another what his value should be, no doubt we'll have to pay through the nose as always. Luckily for me I don't have too, as we have a manager who's worked with the lad for the last couple of years and seems fairly convinced of his quality.
As a team we need quality players in right now and if EtH wants him badly get him in and we'll try our best not give a feck what some random opposition fans are having a chuckle about.

Looks like It's gonna be him over Neto, Pulisić and Ziyech, same way ETH's choice was Casemiro over Neves.

No matter the price, board willing to bring manager's choice into the squad could be right thing to do.

Should be a strong no to Anthony for anywhere close to 100 million. The league adaption risk is far too high.

Look at someone like Sancho, who was considered far more of a finished product but is still finding his feet here.

Signing Anthony for that much just reeks of desperation. It's horrible
Sancho to me looks as though he likes the money and lifestyle of being a well paid footballer thats earning millions without having to get out of 2 nd gear. Antony looks as though he loves football and wants to be the best he can be, looks like he enjoys football, similar to ronaldo as a younger player, plenty of flair. Hence why i am sure he will be a miles better signing than sancho.

Sterling went to chelsea for 45 million, an established world class winger in his prime. Raphinha went to Barca for 49 million, De Ketelaere went to AC milian for 35 million

All those players players have either proven themselves or had better seasons that Antony.

I don't care how much Ten Hag wants this guy, the board need to look for alternatives because we will look like absolute clowns if we pay anything close to 100 million for a player who has not done anything special in the dutch league at the best most attacking club in the league.

People can say it's not our money etc, but it's about the scrutiny and pressure that will be placed on the player with the huge price tag hanging over his head. He will be expected produce week in week out and will not be able to get away with being as inconsistent as he has been for Ajax

You only have to look at the pressure Nunez and Martinez are under already, due to their huge fees and they will have a long way to go to justiying it.

You pay 100 million for player who is either going to complete your team, while the rest of the squad is in place, or if they player's potential is clear to be absolutely world class and is already displaying freakish performances at the highest level at a young age. Antony at 22 years old hasn't displayed he is going to be a world beater and his trajectory isn't going to improve that much in the space of the next few years to think he's going to leap into becoming the next world class superstar. The very best is that he will become a solid winger with the odd moments of flair in a well functioning team, nothing less nothing more imo.

I'm a bit sceptical, but at the same time I'd like to see us backing the manager here. He has a great relationship with the player and he's someone who knows how to play Ten Hag's football. With this signing we would have signed his previous clubs two best players last season.

We lost players in the last year, but with this signing on top of the others, you would have to say that ETH has been backed and there wouldnt be any excuses.

Of course you would like to see the club have a system in place where a director of football is responsible for building the squad to fit a certain system, but we obviously aren't there yet.

Looks like It's gonna be him over Neto, Pulisić and Ziyech, same way ETH's choice was Casemiro over Neves.

No matter the price, board willing to bring manager's choice into the squad could be right thing to do.

Would they push boat out for FDJ too

I don’t think £67m is actually out of the realms of what I’d expect for a player of Antony’s potential. I think considering he’s now throwing a strop that we shouldn’t go any higher because that is very much a good offer and he’s basically saying “that’s a good deal and you’re just blocking me”

Yeah keep causing that fuss

For those who have watched him, does he have enough end product to his game to be worth this much money? If not, is it some he can develop as his game matures?

Blows my mind too.

Almost like the lot of them are accountants for glazers plc.

You'd think in a time like this, when we are on the verge of pulling a liverpoo or arsenal, we'd try to do whatever is necessary to bring in the BEST players possible to ensure it doesnt happen. Make no mistake, we're on the precipice of going into the wilderness for years and years if we dont arrest the decline NOW.

We've had more than a billion pounds taken out of our club over the years.

Do you think its time for the Glazers to put their own money back into the club and protect their investment?

Money should not be an issue this summer. Getting the best players in is of utmost importance. This club should not be parading around with McFred in midfield and Dalot at fecking right back.

Nor should we continue playing an out of form Rashford or wantaway Ronaldo.

That's a great and chilling way to phrase it - precipe of wilderness.

We've just hired one of the if not hottest managerial prospects. To not back him properly would echo all the warnings from LVG and Jose and I think quite possibly keep another such manager or players from joining. We could get a few promising players here and there , an up and coming manager, much like many a club not regularly competing for the league. And inevitably those bright stars move on.

The likes of Casameiro, Varane are signs we still have the aura, but it could fade awfully quickly from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.