Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how Di Marzio declares him third choice the day Atletico have their ban upheld. I'm thinking United know they're going to miss out and are briefing to downplay this. Wait for endless links to Moratta and Mbappe in the coming days.

Yeah, United got on the phone to an Italian journalist so he could include a throwaway line in an Italian article designed to downplay the story for the English market.

Jesus H. Christ

Our beloved pocco, always puts a positive spin on things.

Yes, an English club briefed an Italian Journalist about a French player in the Spanish League. Sounds plausible.

He's just added 2 and 2 to get the speed of light.
It is strange why a usually very reliable journo would come out with something so left field. Who in their right mind would try to convince anyone he wasn't our first choice unless he has an amazing source?

Sorry to say it lads, but...

That's as official as it gets from journos. Club most likely has briefed against this to avoid certain expectations. Could still happen, but not very likely.

This is very familiar to the Pogtransfer. Wasn't there a period in that story where it came out that our interest had cooled and we were looking into Matuidi as the replacement instead? I'm still fairly sure this is on.

The ban update was always going to be key. I had doubts about Griezmann wanting to leave Atletico in a limbo. From all I hear, he's too much of a team player.
Turn the tables a bit. If United were to be in Atletico's position and such a ban is upheld, would we forgive any of our top players insisting on leaving at that time? Would his mates and manager forgive him? We forget at times that sentiments still determine a lot in football transfers.

If United desperately wants him, there can be a post ban lifting agreement.

This post is of course, based on the assumption that Griezmann isn't ready to move at all costs.

The Atletico ban must have something to do with it, and now they wont budge with negotiations. Don't we have to pay a crap load of added tax as well if we pay the release clause fee? They want us to pay a huge amount so we've either given up and moved on or we're trying to play a game of transfer chicken.

Source: my shit brain.

Let's sign Mbappe instead then. Our number one priority if Di Marzio is to be trusted. I'm out of this thread for the summer!

We might not sign Griezmann but the reason is just laughable. Ibra was injured long back and we were linked with him everyday.

With the ban not lifted either Griezmann wanted to stay instead of spitting on the club or Atletico wants all the money upfront which we won't pay.

That's as official as it gets from journos. Club most likely has briefed against this to avoid certain expectations. Could still happen, but not very likely.

The CAS ruling has clearly impacted the deal. It's all over for this summer but I imagine there's a chance of resurrecting the deal in January/summer 2018.

Would have loved Griezmann but am a lot more relaxed about this then I would have been 12 months ago. We're not desperate anymore and will undoubtedly add quality to the squad this summer.

I reckon we are saying we've cooled our interest as due to Atelti's transfer ban being upheld we now have to pay his release clause all in one go. If we start throwing money around like that it will effect our deals for our other targets as it means the selling clubs of those players have a better leverage in getting more money from us.

I reckon the Griezmann deal is done regardless, it was just always going to be a case of how we paid the fee. I think we are now briefing this news so that we can get our other deals done first and then pay Griezmann's fee last. Maybe I am being naive but just trying to stay positive.

I think this cooling interest talk is rubbish.

Jose gave Woody a list of priorities and has promptly gone on holiday and made it clear he is staying away from football until he gets back.

Griezmann is either on that list or he's not. We knew the release clause value all along.

The Atletico ban must have something to do with it, and now they wont budge with negotiations. Don't we have to pay a crap load of added tax as well if we pay the release clause fee? They want us to pay a huge amount so we've either given up and moved on or we're trying to play a game of transfer chicken.

Source: my shit brain.

Nope no more taxes for release clauses now. Relax people, it is just a game for media noise. Maybe tomorrow or even earlier you will hear positive news like Griezmann given permission to leave French camp or something like that.

Definitely a brief given every journo reporting it at the same time. Strange we would give up strengthening one position because we need to strengthen another, makes no sense given our "bottomless pockets".

Hopefully this is just us trying to get him cheaper than the buyout because we really do need his quality on our attack. Just adding a striker will do nothing for us.

That is something i dont understand. They have a ban, they are not keen to sell. It could only work with Perisic and Inter for example, but in this case this strategy makes no sense when the other club has no incentives to bite.

Disappointing if true. We really need more quality in the side & ideally should be looking to sign Griezmann & another striker (a #9)

The CAS ruling has clearly impacted the deal. It's all over for this summer but I imagine there's a chance of resurrecting the deal in January/summer 2018.

Why is it over? They still can sell players. Griezmann does not owe the club anything and he is allowing them to earn one of the highest fees on world football - why not?

We didn't know this a month ago? Lol so we getting Mbappe then for £120m.

Morata is off to Milan. Belotti or Lukaku seem more likely.
It's sad we wanted him in the first place, nowhere near good enough. Same goes for Lukaku and Belotti needs to prove them. Auba is a proven world class striker, good in the air, super fast, stretches play, good in linkup only misses a lot. We are doomed, meltdown incoming.

Yeap.

Sign a deal to seal a transfer for winter or next summer. A first refusal kind of thing.

If we don't get him now, it is not the end of the world.

Maybe the James Rodriguez rumours were all true after all. We may not be bad if we by big in the striker position, strengthen the midfield, get a flying winger and buy a goal scoring number 10.

Griezmann can come in later.

But we dont really know what's really going on, do we?

So let me get this straight. We were setting up a deal for months but now suddenly forced to look elsewhere..

Cause of Ibras injury?

Am I the only one who finds this strange..

I wasn't confident we'd get him tbh, but if we're not even going for a player like that then I don't think we're going to see much improvement next season :(

Why is it over? They still can sell players. Griezmann does not owe the club anything and he is allowing them to earn one of the highest fees on world football - why not?
They'll be relucant to sell so we'd need to pay the full clause I imagine. I'd say it's no coicidence that we fed this to the media after finding out the ban is upheld. 100m is a lot to pay, and I can't imagine we'd be allowed pay it in installments.

Definitely a brief given every journo reporting it at the same time. Strange we would give up strengthening one position because we need to strengthen another, makes no sense given our "bottomless pockets".

It very obviously has nothing to do with Ibrahimovic's injury and everything to do with the CAS ruling.

This is over, we (or the player, or both) have clearly made the decision not to go ahead with the deal while Atletico are banned from registering new players.

Status
Not open for further replies.