Antoine Griezmann| Signs a new contract till 2022

Will we sign Griezmann this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, look that, i was wrong to change my initial prediction. He's not coming.
Still this was one of my favorite threads and i hope they dont close it.

"It would be a dirty move to leave now" Is this a real quote?

Dont know the full story, but it would be "dirty" on his part to leave a club that's has breached rules and subsequently been banned for it? lol. I don't know if dirty is too strong of a label to put on Atletico for what they have supposedly done, but it doesn't make them look/sound clean themselves.

A nitpick/over analysis, but silly words for Griezmann to use in this instance imo.

Irrespective of what athletico have done to get the ban, griezmann has did what he thought was the right thing to do and that's admirable. Loyalty and integrity shown by the player is certainly worth respecting.

Irrespective of what athletico have done to get the ban, griezmann has did what he thought was the right thing to do and that's admirable. Loyalty and integrity shown by the player is certainly worth respecting.
He maybe should have just kept his mouth shut then really? Just angling for a better deal.

No they're not. And they could not have pointed the finger at Griezmann if he had left.

Ultimately the team would have continued without him. Griezmann however just took a year off his career.

Ah yes a year of his career wasted now. Nevermind the fact that he plays for a team which is better than us, has a better chance of winning the Champions League than us,and will have the luxury of playing in a new stadium. But because he didnt want to come to us, he has wasted a year of his life. Gotta love the caf

Not sure I can put this entirely on loyalty tbh. For me it's up to the whole conversation he had with Mourinho which sadly no one had a chance to know.
For example, if he simply said he can't move due to court decision, then it's not entirely about his loyalty to Madrid. There's something else. But if he told Mou I can't move now but you can count on me next year to be in Manchester for sure, then yes he didn't expect the court decision and made an unexpected U-turn because he had to.

Last edited:
This guy does still have a release clause though right? I think if 100m was on the table atletico would happily take it, ban or no ban.
I wonder how AG would feel about it then having made what he feels was a noble decision only for the club to say actually Tone we'd rather the money over you, stadiums ain't cheap you know

(for the record I know this won't happen)

Ah yes a year of his career wasted now. Nevermind the fact that he plays for a team which is better than us, has a better chance of winning the Champions League than us,and will have the luxury of playing in a new stadium. But because he didnt want to come to us, he has wasted a year of his life. Gotta love the caf
Disagree on his chances of winning a thing. Frankly, this season Barca and Real were much better than Atleti and both will strengthen further - while Atleti will remain where they are (at best) as they can't add anything barring academy products (I assume those are allowed). As such, I don't see how they can have a "better chance of winning the Champions League" than a club with a pretty much unlimited budget that's bound to strengthen.

Mind, I'm under no illusions about ourselves. Watching the CL final underlined just how far ahead Real are and it'll take us a while to catch up. That said, to claim Atleti have a better chance is hardly accurate. So in that sense, yes, it is a year wasted as there's no chance of his winning a single thing this season, while at United, there is the chance of ending up with silverware. We're improving, will strengthen and with a year behind him, I expect Pogba to start blossoming too.

Is it possible this is a blessing in disguise?

I have to admit seeing some of our fans overrate him has become a bit cringeworthy and embarrassing. He was never a United player so why everyone was acting like him joining us was a foregone conclusion is beyond me.

If you ask me, he seems like another Cnut who was simply using our stature for a bigger contract.

There's plenty of other options out there. Money is not a factor so why don't we just go all in for somebody like Neymar or Bale? Smash the world record again. Or if we don't want a shiny new toy, just get someone who simply fits Mourinho's system like Perisic or Willian. Football is a team game and to be honest, we don't know if Griezmann could cope with the pressure of being the "big new signing" anyway.

Obviously I'd like him here but I'm not gutted he's not coming. He doesn't want to join so feck him. It's time we start getting players who want to join and play for the badge. Look how Di Maria worked out.
I am with you on this. I'm happy we didn't sign him because Antoine Griezman is not the talisman player people were thinking will lift our team to another level; he's a good player who relies too much on his confidence to deliver high energy of football, once this confidence gone he's going to struggle like Rooney. Atletico play to his strengths that's the reason he performed so well for them, he is their star man which will not be the case at United.

I think he's a very emotional person and this is very dangerous with Mourinho as I don't think he'd have survived to Mourinho way of criticising his players.

People who are saying Atletico are superior to us are amazing me! It's like saying Tottenham are superior to United because for the last 2 years they finished above us. We are the bigger club and have big ambitions than Atletico, 3 years of struggles will never change that; even if we finish 15th we'll still be more attractive then them.

I don't care too much about what this guy thinks, he might have "saved" a dirty club like Atletico who broke those rules, but he is putting United in big sh*t now that everyone knows United needs to put up the money to get someone. He screwed us big time and I hope we become more successful then ever while Atletico can't win anything for a while...

I am with you on this. I'm happy we didn't sign him because Antoine Griezman is not the talisman player people were thinking will lift our team to another level; he's a good player who relies too much on his confidence to deliver high energy of football, once this confidence gone he's going to struggle like Rooney. Atletico play to his strengths that's the reason he performed so well for them, he is their star man which will not be the case at United.

I think he's a very emotional person and this is very dangerous with Mourinho as I don't think he'd have survived to Mourinho way of criticising his players.

People who are saying Atletico are superior to us are amazing me! It's like saying Tottenham are superior to United because for the last 2 years they finished above us. We are the bigger club and have big ambitions than Atletico, 3 years of struggles will never change that; even if we finish 15th we'll still be more attractive then them.
I stated all along he wouldnt come. With the Beckham bit and his bro sending cryptic messages, then the weather bit etc it all sounded too good to be true, and eventually it was. If true I'm glad Utd gave him an ultimatum otherwise this would have gone on and on.

We will never know the exact truth, but from the little I can understand is that Griezmann flirted with us, but decided to stay 1)with a bigger contract and 2) by staying he is showing gratitude (real or fake we will never know) that will allow him to move next summer to us, Barca or even Real. Really smart from him.

Would be interesting to see the loyalty dynamic if United offered £120m or whatever Atletico couldn't refuse. I wonder how the situation would play out if they said to him actually we want you to go now.

All hypothetical, of course, as it's not going to happen.

It does annoy me, however, how Griezmann has publicly flirted with United and so recently. The 6/10 interview was a completely unnecessary move and, on reflection, I'd say ill-advised.

Would be interesting to see the loyalty dynamic if United offered £120m or whatever Atletico couldn't refuse. I wonder how the situation would play out if they said to him actually we want you to go now.

It does annoy me, however, how Griezmann has publicly flirted with United and so recently. The 6/10 interview was a completely unnecessary move and, on reflection, I'd say ill-advised.
Good points there would atl keep him if a club offers 130 mill don't think so. Yes if he was not wanting to leave should not have said those things in interview.

Don't think they would have accepted it. By all accounts it was reported we were happy to pay the buyout clause. They wouldn't have been able to register any players so the money wouldn't have been a determining factor for them imo.

This guy does still have a release clause though right? I think if 100m was on the table atletico would happily take it, ban or no ban.
I wonder how AG would feel about it then having made what he feels was a noble decision only for the club to say actually Tone we'd rather the money over you, stadiums ain't cheap you know

Sorry, I hadn't read this when I made my post so I've repeated it almost completely.

I think that would be an amusing twist. Although the way things have been going recently I expect him to sign for City for £120m next week, ha ha.

They can't "take it". It's a one-sided action. We trigger it and it's triggered, they've got no say in the matter. Griezmann then refuses leave and that's that.

Remember when we missed out on Ronaldinho and signed Cristiano instead? I just wonder..

I was going to reply to this with a yeah we'll sign Morata/Lukaku/Lacazette/James instead (and that's not a good thing) but truth be told I have no idea who we'll sign, Griezmann was our obvious number 1 target much like Zlatan/Pogba last summer beyond him though I have no idea what's truth amongst all the BS

Having stayed away since the crushing news of Thursday/Friday it is obvious with Griezmann's comments yesterday he halted this transfer due to the transfer ban, shit for us, great for them, noble/loyal from him I do wonder how the club feels about this now though in terms of a renewed effort to get him in January/next summer or whether that's it now? He'll be 27 next summer as well, not old by any means but that one year closer to the dreaded 30

Griezmann himself said he needed to move on to win trophies and he felt the need to move to a new club. He looks a bit like a fool in all of this.

Atletico as of now are a better team but looking forward United will probably win more than them. Nothing outrageous in saying that.

Don't think they would have accepted it. By all accounts it was reported we were happy to pay the buyout clause. They wouldn't have been able to register any players so the money wouldn't have been a determining factor for them imo.

I don't think he's unsellable, however. If they don't trust his long-term future is with the club, and they receive an offer they don't feel they can refuse, they could potentially build for a stronger future without him and register a number of quality signings in January.

Again, all hypothetical though.

With Griezmann almost 100% not coming to join us, I think this will also pose a headache to the marketing department. Who can fill in the no.7 jersey next season?

I called that completely wrong although whilst I'm disappointed missing out on wc talent, just didn't think it was the right fit for now. Maybe a great signing for next year once we have a few more square pegs in the right holes and an upgrade in certain positions.

With Griezmann almost 100% not coming to join us, I think this will also pose a headache to the marketing department. Who can fill in the no.7 jersey next season?

This post sums up everything that is wrong with football nowadays.

Good on him to be fair. Hopefully we'll get him the season after next. Him wanting to stay makes a hell of a lot more sense than the bs brief to the press about Ibra's injury.

This post sums up everything that is wrong with football nowadays.

Well that is how things go nowadays. Usually the best case scenario is said player is also a major reason for on-pitch success, like Ronaldo, Becks or Cantona for us. Only be generating the off-field income can we have the money to go out and get the best players to improve our squad.

I think at the end we will sign Morata and Griezmann, which to me would be a dream duo for our attack. I know Griezmann said it will be dirty for him to move now, but I think he will not reject the chance to come to us if we pay the release clause.

With Miki on the right, and Martial/Rashford on the left, I think we will challenge for the title next year.

Having stayed away since the crushing news of Thursday/Friday it is obvious with Griezmann's comments yesterday he halted this transfer due to the transfer ban, shit for us, great for them, noble/loyal from him I do wonder how the club feels about this now though in terms of a renewed effort to get him in January/next summer or whether that's it now? He'll be 27 next summer as well, not old by any means but that one year closer to the dreaded 30

This will be it now. We won't go in for him again I don't think and we know how stubborn Jose can be at times. While I respect his u-turn in a way, he has shot himself in the foot from both angles as now United fans are bitter against him and alot of Atletico fans are annoyed with him aswell.

Well that is how things go nowadays. Usually the best case scenario is said player is also a major reason for on-pitch success, like Ronaldo, Becks or Cantona for us. Only be generating the off-field income can we have the money to go out and get the best players to improve our squad.

It may be the way things are but if you are focused on marketing and image rather than focusing on the needs of the team and the type of player needed then you will end up with a team full of 'big names' but a rubbish team.

This will be it now. We won't go in for him again I don't think and we know how stubborn Jose can be at times. While I respect his u-turn in a way, he has shot himself in the foot from both angles as now United fans are bitter against him and alot of Atletico fans are annoyed with him aswell.

I would be surprised if we came back for him next year.

It may be the way things are but if you are focused on marketing and image rather than focusing on the needs of the team and the type of player needed then you will end up with a team full of 'big names' but a rubbish team.

I don't think Jose will allow that to happen to the team. There has to be a balance of star quality and the other players who do the work that these star players shy away from. Take a look at Real this season, their quality and their strength in depth. If we want to be able to challenge, then we will have to keep adding that star quality. Call me superstitious, but our most successful seasons always have had a mercurial no.7 on the pitch, who was also extremely popular off it as well.

It was the perfect summer to get him.

And it was also the perfect summer for him to move - he already tried his best to help AM to win over the past 3 seasons, and he owes them nothing, CAS decision or not. It was not his fault they are facing a ban anyway. Maybe he was wary about the pressures of being the no.7 here and had some cold feet? I am pretty sure we were well into the deal until he pulled out of it. Don't think Jose will go back for him, since that might mean that mentally he does not have the kind of fortitude Jose wants from his star player. With Griezmann out, Silva at City, I think we might really turn to James for some of that 'magic dust', thought he still most likely wear the no.10 when Rooney leaves. So, Morata for our no.7? Don't bet against it.

I would be surprised if we came back for him next year.
I suppose I'm in the minority, but I'm thinking it's probably still nailed on, and wouldn't be surprised if we sign him in Jan if Athletico is out of Europe, or next summer.

I think way too many people see this as a snub to United, rather than what is, a necessary delay to give Athletico any hope of being competitive next season.

Consider if the transfer ban was on United instead, and Pogba had a release clause. What if Real Madrid triggered that clause and Pogba left? What would we think of Real Madrid? We'd be left going into the season with: Herrera, Carrick, Fellaini and the youngsters. No chance to bring in reinforcements for midfield, or any other position until Jan. Our season could be over by Jan. Think we'd have any chance of making top 4, or any hope for the season? Think the club would ever agree to do business with Real Madrid under any circumstances in the future if they triggered that clause? What would be the perception of Real Madrid?

Triggering Griezmann's clause is akin to putting a deathnail into any hopes Athletico, and their fans might have for next season. Both Antoine and United have done the correct, gentlemanly thing here and delayed and I doubt Athletico won't take that into consideration now, and well into the future. Possibly having an even stronger relationship with Athletico going ahead for many years because we know how to conduct our business with dignity is a small price to pay for waiting a year to bring in Griezmann.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.