Angel Di Maria | £59.7M fee agreed I Maybe tomorrow...or the day after...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pseudo_canadian

Yeah he will improve us. But we're just so stacked in that final third of the pitch already, it seems like the Mata signing all over again - unnecessary. It'll more than likely push Welbeck out as well (who is one of my favourite players). It will probably reduce the minutes Januzaj will play and it still leaves our CM and defence as weak.
Di Maria played a lot of his time as CM last season and was fantastic. His energy and pressing is great. While he's no Vidal, being able to play him either on the wing or at CM is really useful.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah he will improve us. But we're just so stacked in that final third of the pitch already, it seems like the Mata signing all over again - unnecessary. It'll more than likely push Welbeck out as well (who is one of my favourite players). It will probably reduce the minutes Januzaj will play and it still leaves our CM and defence as weak.
Stacked with players that are very similar, yes. Di Maria offers something none of them have, he's a totally different player. Januzaj operates on the other wing, and even if we do sign Di Maria he'll still be our second best option out wide, he'll play don't worry. As for Welbeck, i'm not convinced he will leave. He's a striker, if he tries to force a move it'll be because he has two of the best strikers in the world in front of him, not because we sign someone who doesn't play in his position. But even if it was, i'm afraid that's the price you pay for signing world class talent.

hobbers

It will be the biggest signing in the history of the Premier League. You just don't say no to recruiting a world class winger, who also happens to be class in centre mid as well, when we haven't got any wingers who are even half decent (bar Januzaj although he's technically not a winger), and pedestrian midfielders who are incapable of bringing the ball forward (bar Herrera).

As much as I like Welbeck, we won't be winning any major trophies with him playing on the wing all season. And Mata can only ever really be as good as the players around him. He needs more pace and more quality around him to thrive, not the likes of Hernandez, Valencia etc.

ZDwyr

Di Maria played a lot of his time as CM last season and was fantastic. His energy and pressing is great. While he's no Vidal, being able to play him either on the wing or at CM is really useful.
I didn't know he had played as a CM - that is interesting then.

Stacked with players that are very similar, yes. Di Maria offers something none of them have, he's a totally different player. Januzaj operates on the other wing, and even if we do sign Di Maria he'll still be our second best option out wide, he'll play don't worry. As for Welbeck, i'm not convinced he will leave. He's a striker, if he tries to force a move it'll be because he has two of the best strikers in the world in front of him, not because we sign someone who doesn't play in his position. But even if it was, i'm afraid that's the price you pay for signing world class talent.
I'm sure once I saw him in our shirt I'd get excited. It's probably just the disappointing signings we've made recently (and the price we have paid for them) that has me apprehensive. Hopefully this one will work out well anyway.

coolredwine

lameredboots
He played as the furthest of the 2 midfielders if I'm not wrong. Different position/attributes compared to that of Vidal.

pseudo_canadian

He played as the furthest of the 2 midfielders if I'm not wrong. Different position/attributes compared to that of Vidal.
Oh I know, I just used Vidal's name as Di Maria wouldn't be a "Vidal-like quality" of midfielder, but still a good one in his own regard. But your point remains the same: Di Maria plays CM much differently than Vidal does.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Is it too greedy to expect to sign Di Maria and Vidal? :drool:
Nope, Definitely not, Actually that is what I'd expect minimum, another top quality centre half would be the icing on the cake while also extremely important. I think we'll try and get Vidal closer to deadline day, this is a huge gamble but we could end up signing Vidal for about £35million, or at least I hope we do!

For me Vidal is still THAT ultimate signing we need.

savais

According to Daniel Taylor, Di Maria will cost closer to £60m with further addons around £7m....thats crazy. I hope we still do get him but it is crazy. I expected it to be around £50m or so. I dont think we will spend another £45m on Vidal, but with everything going on with his knee, may be a good thing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Furthest of three central midfielders.

I do wonder how LVG plans to use him if we get this deal done. He's a superb wide attacker, but as an all action, high pressing, attacking central midfielder, there's no one around like him. It's unique for someone in a central position to be able to chase and Harry with such intensity, and also have the pace and pure skill to tear defenders apart. I'd love for us to use him that way with maybe Januzaj out wide.

amolbhatia50k

According to Daniel Taylor, Di Maria will cost closer to £60m with further addons around £7m....thats crazy. I hope we still do get him but it is crazy. I expected it to be around £50m or so. I dont think we will spend another £45m on Vidal, but with everything going on with his knee, may be a good thing.
65 million would be a lot of money indeed. I'd say he's around the 50-55 range but were loaded and desperate to get back in shape on the pitch so paying a "bebe premium" is not something I'm fussed about. We waste 10-15 on potential which fitters away all the time anyway.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Furthest of three central midfielders.

I do wonder how LVG plans to use him if we get this deal done. He's a superb wide attacker, but as an all action, high pressing, attacking central midfielder, there's no one around like him. It's unique for someone in a central position to be able to chase and Harry with such intensity, and also have the pace and pure skill to tear defenders apart. I'd love for us to use him that way with maybe Januzaj out wide.
Typo. :/ It was him in front of Modric and Alonso.

The thing is, if we do put him in middle, we would have problems fitting in Mata then, as both of them might interfere with each other's play and position.

Kyonn

Is there any way to get him, Mata, Rooney and RVP on the pitch at the same time?

In Rainbows

When Di Maria played in a 3 man midfield he was a lot of the times on the left shadowing Ronaldo. So it was a bit different to playing behind the striker, but still the most advanced of the 3 midfielders.

amolbhatia50k

Typo. :/ It was him in front of Modric and Alonso.

The thing is, if we do put him in middle, we would have problems fitting in Mata then, as both of them might interfere with each other's play and position.
True.

Maybe Di Maria can play as tucked in wide midfielder. In recent years we've used our right to maintain our width with the supposed left winger often drifted in to help add an extra midfielder in central areas, and Evra basically acting as a left winger and a left back. For that left midfielder role, Di Maria could be pretty much ideal.

iAm20Legend

I think if we do indeed sign him, it'll have to be a 433 with Rvp up top and Rooney and Di Maria on either side, with a midfield trio of Mata and (pick two from whatever center mids are not injured). Januzaj will have to be content with coming on from the bench and occasionally starting.

I still have my concerns about central midfield though, it's a gaping hole right there now

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We may have a problem

Manchester City join the race to sign #MUFC target Angel di Maria, claim @DuncanCastles http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/Premiership/article1450275.ece…
Makes no sense because City can't sign him due to FFP. They have to have a net spend of 49M. They've signed Fernando and Mangala for about 42M, plus Caballero. So unless they plan to sign DI Maria for 5M quid, it ain't happening. Add to that, Duncan Castles just has a huge ABU boner, and it's a nothing story.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He played the vast majority of his games in central midfield last season. He covered the space left behnd by ronaldo and played along side Modric and Alonso.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
They're already having problems with their foreign quota and will leave out Negredo for it.

They'll need to sell Jovetic, Negredo both in order to raise the amount needed for Di Maria.

Castles is a cock though. Posted on 13th July that Di Maria is off to PSG.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
If Welbeck gets pushed out it's because he is not as good as the player that is replacing him. I would rather win games and possibly trophies than keep a few lesser players happy. If he improves his game he can still get in this team

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They're already having problems with their foreign quota and will leave out Negredo for it.

They'll need to sell Jovetic, Negredo both in order to raise the amount needed for Di Maria.

Castles is a cock though. Posted on 13th July that Di Maria is off to PSG.
Who the hell would pay £30m each for jovetic and negredo? One is a crock and the other is out for 4 months. No chance.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
While I understand some people's concerns about us not addressing the areas of the pitch that are more urgent (CM/Defence)

When someone like Di Maria becomes available and he plays in a position which we are thin on, and lacking in quality (as identified in press conferences by LVG) you simply cannot pass it up.
You don't turn down a Di Maria with hopes that you'll first sign De Jong, then come back after and try to sign him then.

Us signing Di Maria doesn't automatically mean there are no more defenders and central midfielders to buy. We're signing him first, and hopefully one or two more defensive signings after that.

I've said before that in my opinion the media and some fans are over-exaggerating about the lack of quality we have in our squad. I have confidence in LVG's system even with our current squad of finishing top 4. Signing Di Maria will make that a certainty for me.

Hamadovich86

Hoping Di Maria is ours the number of sources reporting it is overwhelming. City can piss off!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The worst part of these final stages is waiting for it to be official with the fear that someone will swoop in and steal him :nervous:

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Ah, finally an opposition fan arises. Wonder where the scousers are right now.

@BarneyLFC @PickledRed What do you guys think about this potential signing?
He's a quality player who is probably worth overpaying for. It'll be interesting who doesn't get in the side when everyone is fit.

He had a mixed World Cup but so did lots of good players.

The one thing he doesn't do is remedy the existing weaknesses in the squad. On the contrary, he strengthens an already strong area of the team. I don't think LvG has finished his spending.

Gazza

He's a quality player who is probably worth overpaying for. It'll be interesting who doesn't get in the side when everyone is fit.

The one thing he doesn't do is remedy the existing weaknesses in the squad. On the contrary, he strengthens an already strong area of the team. I don't think LvG has finished his spending.
I think he's actually a massive upgrade on anyone we could play in the wide areas
Edit: I meant to emphasise that our wingers at the moment are actually of a mediocre standard, not particularly strong

Sauxees Moi Hui

Agreed with that. I don't really understand how we are going to line up with di Maria in the squad without making Rooney angry and confused.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

I agree the area of the pitch is strong on an individual level but as a team I believe it's highly imbalanced. We have a lot
Of quality strong players there but they all like to come to the ball, are not fast, and aren't really going to run at or in behind a defender. He only real exception is Januzaj.

I think Di Maria would really add some potency to our attack, and some directness.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Who will miss out if everybody is fit? Rooney has just been made captain so that indicates an automatic pick, RVP is the best striker so can't see him being left out often. Mata has yet to fully prove his worth so he must be a bit concerned. Or does he play with these three?

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets

If we play with wingers our options are Valencia, Ashley Young and Januzaj. How is that strong?

Status
Not open for further replies.