Andy Carroll

The Flying Potato

I was quite impressed with him last night, just needs to get into full match fitness and he could well be the surprise star this year.

I think he could turn out to be top 6 quality

He'll get an England callup to stop him from being called up to Scotland. May turn out OK, but I think he'll only ever be an average but tall striker whom people hoof the ball up to. Scored a load in the Championship which will inevitably help but the Premier League is a whole different kettle of fish and he won't score that many this season - he needs a better striker alongside him.

dodge a bullet when he miss that header chance last night.

He'll get an England callup to stop him from being called up to Scotland. May turn out OK, but I think he'll only ever be an average but tall striker whom people hoof the ball up to. Scored a load in the Championship which will inevitably help but the Premier League is a whole different kettle of fish and he won't score that many this season - he needs a better striker alongside him.

I dunno abut that, he had quite a few opportunites last night but was lacking the final third which I think we can put down to it being the first game of the season. Still, time will tell.

I thought he was quite decent - he was powerful and did a lot of work even getting all the way back in defense just to get involved.

Had a decent shot on target as well. As a defender, would hate to go up against him - must be bruising.

His movement on corners is very good aswell, I noticed he seems to hide behind Coloccini and then make his own run at the last second....there was a chance in the last 10 minutes where he had a free header but Vidic flew in like Superman saving our arses

I was impressed...wouldn't surprise me if the dippers went for him if they offload Mascherano - he'd be what £7-8M?

I dunno abut that, he had quite a few opportunites last night but was lacking the final third which I think we can put down to it being the first game of the season. Still, time will tell.
This season will be the making of him in some ways but I don't think Newcastle have really helped things by sticking him alone up front with Nolan (who has regressed into a fat lump) behind him, with the "creativity" coming from Smith and Barton, and wingers with no end-product whatsoever. It will get you results against other relegation candidates but will struggle to win you any points against anyone else. Newcastle really need someone better in midfield and a striker alongside Carroll whose name isn't Ameobi.

I reckon £10-12m. Perhaps more.
I think that's about right. He's still Newcastle's best striker and if they go for him Newcastle will really be cutting it late to find a new striker though, and I'd imagine Carroll will still want at least one whole season in the Premier League as a first-teamer, even if Newcastle go down (which would make Carroll cheaper).

I watched him a lot last year. Already said this year I think he'll get an England call up. Just needs to cut his fecking hair.

His hair is the least of his problems....needs to survive his court appearence next month and keep his (off the field) temper in check.

Good player.

Kevin Phillips, James Beattie, Darren Bent, Andy Johnson...

... and now Andy Carroll. All of who show the ability to score goals but will forever be ignored because they weren't part of the clique that seems to think players have a "pedigree" to play for England. That they must have been to Lilleshall or come through an academy like West Ham's or ours at Carrington and that they must play for the u17/18/19/21's.

Eriksson gave into public pressure by playing Johnson, on the right wing. He didn't impress.

He's no better than Carew and he won't be.
An Englishman that is strong and runs a lot is all it takes to make you lot drool. If Kuyt were English he'd be a fan favorite.

Kevin Phillips, James Beattie, Darren Bent, Andy Johnson...

... and now Andy Carroll. All of who show the ability to score goals but will forever be ignored because they weren't part of the clique that seems to think players have a "pedigree" to play for England. That they must have been to Lilleshall or come through an academy like West Ham's or ours at Carrington and that they must play for the u17/18/19/21's.

Eriksson gave into public pressure by playing Johnson, on the right wing. He didn't impress.

How can you say Carroll is being ignored? He's only 21 and has only played in 7 Premier League games. He hasn't even had the chance to be ignored yet.

As for his performance yesterday..... I thought he played really well, hat trick aside. He was outtanding in the air (see Nolan's first goal) and got involved a lot in the buildup. I still think he needs to improve his footwork though, which may sound like bullshit on the evidence of his third goal but generally he takes a touch too many to get the ball out of his feet.

An Englishman that is strong and runs a lot is all it takes to make you lot drool. If Kuyt were English he'd be a fan favorite.

Very true.

I think that's about right. He's still Newcastle's best striker and if they go for him Newcastle will really be cutting it late to find a new striker though, and I'd imagine Carroll will still want at least one whole season in the Premier League as a first-teamer, even if Newcastle go down (which would make Carroll cheaper).

Mike Ashley has been on a charm offensive for the last few months, I can't see him wanting to risk the wrath of the fans if he sold their new local hero. I'm not saying they'd refuse any offers but it would have to be a stupid 15mil+ offer.

Phillips only came through late in his career and we had better options then, Beattie and Johnson have never been good enough, none of them have anything in common with Carroll.

I seem to remember us crying out for people to put the ball in the back of the net for a long long time. When these guys were scoring 25+ goals in the Premiership we never took a chance with them. I see no reason why not, if they can do it in the Premiership they have proven they are goalscorers and sometimes it just works. Who's to say Johnson wouldn't have clicked with Beckham and fed from his deliveries offering us just what we needed?

I just think it's a big problem England has always had, "trusting" those who have "never let us down in the past" rather than speculating to accumulate with a player currently in great form.

Bent suffered from this, this summer. What did England need desperately? A player who can get into the positions and score goals, something Bent has proven in a few teams now. Yet instead we take players like Heskey who has 3 England goals to his name because we think he somehow fits in a system. Footballs a simple game, but difficult to play simply. Sometimes the simple thing you need is a goalscorer.

How can you say Carroll is being ignored? He's only 21 and has only played in 7 Premier League games. He hasn't even had the chance to be ignored yet.

Sorry poor wording from me, I didn't mean he has been ignored I mean't he will be.

The next 5 years will be Rooney, Defoe, Crouch and Walcott when he makes the move forward by which time Carroll will be 26 and there will be another youngster that has come through one of the top academies that will be deemed to have the pedigree and footballing upbringing that is required to be part of the England National Team.

I wouldnt be so sure about Caroll being ignored tbh as Capello is trying to create a new squad at the moment. I'd actuay be very surprised if Capello doesnt call him up for the next friendy if he continues to play the way he has

I wouldnt be so sure about Caroll being ignored tbh as Capello is trying to create a new squad at the moment. I'd actuay be very surprised if Capello doesnt call him up for the next friendy if he continues to play the way he has

Is he though? Against Hungary, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Cole and Terry all started. As good as they all are for their club team they have been no more than decent at international level, in fact they were all shit in the WC. Including them in upcoming games is suggesting they'll be played in the Euro's. Not a sign of progression at all.

We should scrap the 'golden generation' and call up players like Carroll, Wilshere, Walcott, Gibbs, Rodwell, Hart, etc. Come the 2014 World Cup, we'll have a completley new look side who will have played together in 2012 Euro's.

Is he though? Against Hungary, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Cole and Terry all started. As good as they all are for their club team they have been no more than decent at international level, in fact they were all shit in the WC. Including them in upcoming games is suggesting they'll be played in the Euro's. Not a sign of progression at all.

We should scrap the 'golden generation' and call up players like Carroll, Wilshere, Walcott, Gibbs, Rodwell, Hart, etc. Come the 2014 World Cup, we'll have a completley new look side who will have played together in 2012 Euro's.

Yes but you cant just completely scrap a team, especialy when the replacements for the world class players (at club level atleast) would be very inexperienced youngsters or average PL players. You need some kind of a backbone

Yes but you cant just completely scrap a team, especialy when the replacements for the world class players (at club level atleast) would be very inexperienced youngsters or average PL players. You need some kind of a backbone

I've argued what W_R has said already. I could care less about the Euro's in 2012's and I'd much rather see a team of youngsters using it as their chance to gain experience for 2014. With the Olympics happening at that time anyway it would be just the national distraction we need to give these guys the opertunity to play without pressure. If we go with Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Cole and Terry, then come 2014 when they are all way past their peak all we'll be left with is either a team of players without experience or a team past its best.

I'd rather see players who are going to be peaking in 2014 given the chance to develop and prove themselves in 2012, players like Rodwell, Wilshire, Milner, Rooney, Carroll, Gibbs, Hart, Cahill, Young, Lennon, Agbonlahor should all be getting played now. These are players who are impressionable. Players who can still be taught the right ethics.

He's been called up to the U21 squad to face Portugal and Lithuania, has Welbeck, Sturridge and Delfonsou (spelling?) fighting him for a starting spot.

I personaly would like to see him and Sturridge start

It's not like Shearer had achieved any more than him at the same age. He's a very promising player and he's only 21, it's just a load of spastic think that everyone has to come through like Rooney. You can never say for sure, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if turned out to be a great premier league striker.

Aye and City would buy him for 26 million quid..

When a country has Heskey leading the line at the World Cup, a player of Carew's abilities would be much sought after.