Alexis Sanchez

amazed that some wouldn't want to sign Alexis as he is a superb player

I'm not convinced we were in for him but even if we were and he turned us down he did so for whatever reasons back then......maybe about assurances about role in the side or maybe we were lukewarm...who knows

Sanchez has that South American spirit that you witness with players like Tevez and Suarez and he has undoubted quality and workrate......

would be a superb signing and would certainly walk into the side

I'm not saying he is unreasonable or a mercenary, I'd just rather focus on having a core which believes playing for United is the best thing that could ever happen to them.

Call me naive if you want, I know it isn't easy, but signing players just because they are great takes us nowhere. We lack identity more so than quality.

Fair enough. We'd be hard pressed to find such players from outside England imo and given how terrible the current English batch is, that's where we need to shop.

Fair enough. We'd be hard pressed to find such players from outside England imo and given how terrible the current English batch is, that's where we need to shop.
Start with Griezmann, he is clearly gagging for it.

The spot I'm at a loss with is the Carrick heir.

Not necessarily down to him, is it?
He was expected to make an Henry-esque impact at Arsenal. Become the leader, talisman & propel you to the title. Instead he went missing last year while Mahrez/Vardy made the difference for Leicester in the closing weeks.

He was expected to make an Henry-esque impact at Arsenal. Become the leader, talisman & propel you to the title. Instead he went missing last year while Mahrez/Vardy made the difference for Leicester in the closing weeks.

In terms of inconsistency I agree, at best he’s been superb but it hasn’t happened enough.

Sanchezter United :(

I wanted him to replace Ronaldo when he was at Udinese. He's a very good player, perfect for the league and you'd think perfect for our RW slot.

He's a great player and would improve most sides. He's clearly good enough to start for any Premier League side.

He could have joined us if he wanted, ofcourse. Point is, one can understand now wanting to join given the situation we were(are?) in. Its not as if we proved him wrong either.
Arsenal, apart from qualifying regularly for CL, had not won a single trophy in a decade before he joined. So I can see why some people think that him avoiding us then was a snub.

Really is disappointing...was hoping we could get rid for cheap :(

Oh to have players who really really want to play for us...

I wouldn't get too sarcy mate. If you don't blow up your pay structure he is a goner. That much is clear.

I wouldn't get too sarcy mate. If you don't blow up your pay structure he is a goner. That much is clear.

Its a good test. Its been pretty clear to some of us for a while that that is exactly what Arsenal needs to do to compete. And there is no excuse. Arsenal has plenty of money, and even a locked out minority shareholder willing to shell out some of his own (probably shady) cash. They need to decide if they are going to go up closer to United/City/Chelsea level of pay or if they are going to be content just slightly better than Liverpool/Tottenham...

Sanchez and Ozil both deserve pay raises and it would really be idiotic of Wenger and Gazidis not to do everything they can to keep them both. Arsenal should have the money to be able to pay their top two players something like the average salary of the highest paid 10-15 in the world.

I doubt Arsenal will sell 1 of their best players to us anytime soon after the RVP deal.

They basically gifted us the title in 2012-2013.

Sanchezter United :(

I wanted him to replace Ronaldo when he was at Udinese. He's a very good player, perfect for the league and you'd think perfect for our RW slot.
Oh I remember that headline. It was The Sun, right? I was so excited about us signing him. He always looked like he was going to be a great player and he hasn't disappointed.

After all these years of knowing Arsene, I fully expect him to leave. Sanchez probably has the CL in mind now. Something like Bayern/Atletico would suit him well.

After all these years of knowing Arsene, I fully expect him to leave. Sanchez probably has the CL in mind now. Something like Bayern/Atletico would suit him well.

Doubt Atletico can afford him, they aren't even close to Barca or Real financially. Bayern though is a good shout.

Doubt Atletico can afford him, they aren't even close to Barca or Real financially. Bayern though is a good shout.
Simeone would break the bank for a player of his class. Right up his alley too.

Also, didn't :lol: at the first page of this thread so I'll do it now. :lol: :lol:

He is a winger who has a 1 in 2 scoring rate for arsenal, probably around a 1 in 3 assist rate, and someone who has loads of talent and a tremendous work rate. He's easily a world class player. You can't really criticize him for Arsenal not winning the league when its mainly on Wenger and his refusal to strengthen key areas. He wasnt at his best last season of course and was pretty inconsistent, but he had a brilliant first season and then this season has been close to unstoppable. Also they are 2 points off Liverpool in first, not sure how you can say they are off the pace but okay.

Oh I remember that headline. It was The Sun, right? I was so excited about us signing him. He always looked like he was going to be a great player and he hasn't disappointed.
That's the one mate.

Start with Griezmann, he is clearly gagging for it.

The spot I'm at a loss with is the Carrick heir.
Yeah, there's a certain inevitability when it comes to him. If we're back in the CL again, it'd make things much easier.

Arsenal, apart from qualifying regularly for CL, had not won a single trophy in a decade before he joined. So I can see why some people think that him avoiding us then was a snub.
Fair enough, it was a snub anyways. Just find it more understandable than some others but I can see where you're coming from as well.

amazed that some wouldn't want to sign Alexis as he is a superb player

I'm not convinced we were in for him but even if we were and he turned us down he did so for whatever reasons back then......maybe about assurances about role in the side or maybe we were lukewarm...who knows

Sanchez has that South American spirit that you witness with players like Tevez and Suarez and he has undoubted quality and workrate......

would be a superb signing and would certainly walk into the side

What makes them determined and hard working also makes them horrible greedy little cnuts. Wouldn't touch another South American even if Lionel ROnaldo Rivaldo Naymar Pelle Messi was offered to us for a free. If that is generalisation that so be it, its how I feel

What makes them determined and hard working also makes them horrible greedy little cnuts. Wouldn't touch another South American even if Lionel ROnaldo Rivaldo Naymar Pelle Messi was offered to us for a free. If that is generalisation that so be it, its how I feel
Them. They. Those people. Greasy brown swarthy feckers. All of them. ALL.

We have signed so many average players over the last 3 years, Sanchez is a level above all of them.

And second time around it was our fault as we went for Di Maria over him.
I remember the threads back in the day where a lot of people thought that Di Maria were superior to Sanchez. Even myself preferred Di Maria, overall i underrated mentality massively.

Nowadays i even think that Sanchez would be a better fit than Griezmann for ManUnited.

............. Sanchez.........
Martial...Mata....Mkhitaryan

Would be something, not sure Mourinho would field this one. Probably missing the big target man, height and fullbacks, but we'll see. I would love to see it one day, though. :drool:

He was still better than Hazard. ;) Didn't they win the FA Cup two years running because of his and Özil's impact? Which resulted in ending their 9 year trophyless spell? That's something. :) Arsenal came second last season, yes Sanchez didn't win the league, but second is good - you'd loved to finish second, it's not black and white, there's gray.

I can see Wenger selling him to Shitty on the cheap (knowing the PL, this'll still be in the 40-50 range though) just to spite Jose

So he played and scored twice last night, seems like he'll be fine for Saturday.

I'm not saying he is unreasonable or a mercenary, I'd just rather focus on having a core which believes playing for United is the best thing that could ever happen to them.

Call me naive if you want, I know it isn't easy, but signing players just because they are great takes us nowhere. We lack identity more so than quality.

I appreciate the points you make here, but Sanchez is the type of player who will give all in a shirt. Ask Udinese and Barca fans.

Not sure why it didn't work out at Barca, but there were silly rumours that Messi didn't rate him and would mock him in training - take with a pinch of salt.

Seems to be settled in London too. If I were to take a guess - the Turin giants will go all in.

Where did you touch the last one? Bad experience clearly.

Where did you touch the last one? Bad experience clearly.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Numerous bad experiences. Heinze, Tevez, Di Maria, Kleberson, Veron, Anderson, they usually have a season in them, two tops. But generally just a waste of time and end up causing trouble some how. When we are spending big money and need to get it right, id prefer us to reduce risk and signing a South American, irrespective of ability is a risk

You wot? We'd won two FA Cups in the decade before he joined.

Post-truth football debating... :wenger:

You wot? We'd won two FA Cups in the decade before he joined.

Post-truth football debating... :wenger:
You are right. You had won an FA cup the year before he joined. Point stands that Arsenal were no way a bigger attraction football wise than us when Sanchez moved from Barca.

One of the players we made mistake not to sign, he'd be great here, perfect Mourinho player, player working hard with ability

One of the players we made mistake not to sign, he'd be great here, perfect Mourinho player, player working hard with ability
I don't think we made a mistake, when he left Udinese he only wanted to go to Barca iirc, and when he left them, he just wasn't interested in a club with no UCL (thanks Moyes!). Or so the stories go.

But yeah, I think 99% on here would have loved him here based on his Udinese days already.

I don't think we made a mistake, when he left Udinese he only wanted to go to Barca iirc, and when he left them, he just wasn't interested in a club with no UCL (thanks Moyes!). Or so the stories go.

But yeah, I think 99% on here would have loved him here based on his Udinese days already.
yeah going back the situation wasn't easy to sign him but I am sure we could somehow convince him even without CL football but with managerial changes we didn't react quickly enough so he end up at Arsenal..

yeah going back the situation wasn't easy to sign him but I am sure we could somehow convince him even without CL football but with managerial changes we didn't react quickly enough so he end up at Arsenal..
Yeah, I'd agree with that. He'd have been a much needed threat for LvG's United as well, who always identified quality wingers as essential for his system. Whether he'd have thrived in that system though, is anyones guess.