Afghanistan

Hamnat

Despite having initiated the US withdrawal in the first place, Trump would've sent more troops in. (Great ratings).
With numbers as high as 250k Afghans, NY Times estimate, still there that worked with the U.S. I don't see how anything short of extending not just the evacuation but the full war footing would have gotten this amount out and kept them back away from the airport and the city.

Biden fecked up sure but this is epic strategical failure decades in the making from all the joint forces.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The talk of China as a super power always positions China against individual Western states like USA. China vs USA will never be a thing. Its China vs USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Australia, Netherlands, Scandinavian countries, etc. The combined wealth of those economies dwarfs China, and their economic potential far outweighs China's. China is tolerated in the West because they produce cheap goods and have an insatiable appetite for raw materials, at a moments notice the West could pull the plug on China and they would be funked. Good luck selling consumer products into Russia. Military wise the West would annihilate China and any country sitting on the fence, India, Saudi Arabia wouldn't take long to side with the West over China.
The mightiest weapon going for the US is the dollar and the banking system.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
With numbers as high as 250k Afghans, NY Times estimate, still there that worked with the U.S. I don't see how anything short of extending not just the evacuation but the full war footing would have gotten this amount out and kept them back away from the airport and the city.

Biden fecked up sure but this is epic strategical failure decades in the making from all the joint forces.
Short of remaining in Afghanistan and continuing with business as usual, the other options were all losing ones. Getting out was always going to be messy due to the large about of Afghans who qualify for SIVs and all the Americans scattered across the country.

The Firestarter

OK so US servicemen have been confirmed killed, so what happens now ?
Does Biden send in troop the secure the airport and surrounding area or does he just take it so to speak and carry on.
Problem for Biden is, he doesn't know who to hit. The suicide attack was not from the Taliban. If it was Trump he probably would have started indiscriminately dropping bombs without regard who they hit. Actually...that has happened under pretty much every US president hasn't it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's not the motivation at all. ISIS have been killing Afghans for years now. (Well, not ISIS, in Norway we just say IS so it's easy to forget that ISIS is technically more specific).
It's IS-K (for Khorasan), technically.
Sometimes I doubt suicide bombers think it through that deep.
They probably don't, they've been brainwashed into being willing to do this. But whoever did that and sends them in has definitely thought this through.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
This isn't about Trump now. This is about a gibbering collection of organs pretending to able lead the free world.
Biden does what he's told, I have a hard time believing he's done anything but follow the majority opinion, whatever his military advisors said. There doesn't seem to be much disagreement between Republican and Democrat presidents on using the military to maintain the American Empire.

While I agree Biden is useless, I don't think he's done anything but follow the same bad line of thinking that got US troops into that country. According to the action paper for the Project for a New American Century, they thought they had to secure the region before China took control, along with others, to secure continued American dominance of the world. For my money, Al Qaeda was an excuse to go in.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Problem for Biden is, he doesn't know who to hit. The suicide attack was not from the Taliban. If it was Trump he probably would have started indiscriminately dropping bombs without regard who they hit. Actually...that has happened under pretty much every US president hasn't it.
Yeah, would carpet bombing even register? Besides bringing back all the troops and reoccupying I don't see what he can do.

For some clarity, this is the very same Taliban that said, 'No Afghans are permitted to leave the country' and 'The August 31st date is a red line'

Gen Kenneth McKenzie is being hustled by the Taliban
It's about saving face. Watch the western military/political establishment drop all that talk about Taliban reprisals against collaborators, women's rights and massacres of minorities like the Hazara and start talking about the Taliban as partners.

Eeeesh that's fecked. The Taliban know the US is not gonna risk inflaming things by sending more troops in now, so the people on that list are at the Taliban's mercy.

The Firestarter

Feels lke the Biden administration has been shooting itself in the feet every week for the last month or so.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Feels lke the Biden administration has been shooting itself in the feet every week for the last month or so.
Something tells me they just wanted to get the withdrawal done as quickly as possible and perhaps they calculated the voting public would quickly forget how bad it went.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
Something tells me they just wanted to get the withdrawal done as quickly as possible and perhaps they calculated the voting public would quickly forget how bad it went.
yes and several top news agency writers/pundits at the beginning, last Monday and Tuesday were hinting that exact sentiment. I'm guessing the White House press sec. Jen Psaki had said it to a group of people off the record. One specific example had been Maggie Habermann of the NY Times

Last edited:
I think the US should fly bombers around kabul without dropping any bombs. Then maybe let a few land in deserted areas in the neighbourhood just to say 'don't test us'.
The US has been dropping bombs all over Afghanistan for the last 20 years. Their indiscriminate bombing campaigns are probably a massive reason why the Taliban are so popular in rural Afghanistan. I doubt the Taliban/IS are gonna change their plans because there are US warplanes in the sky - if anything that would increase the tension.