Adrien Rabiot - you're not going to believe this but his Mum is his agent and a circus

Buying Mount or signing Eriksen isn’t the issue. Not bringing in other CM/DM options is the problem. We were short last year and should have bought someone like Ugarte either way. And then we let 2 of ours go away McTom and Amrabat (they are not good enough) without replacing them.

Yeah will definitely prove to be a problem because now have no choice but to go with what we have

So he has to settle for Marseille who have no European football this season. Also only signing a 2 year deal. Not exactly a great move if United and Arsenal were interested.

So he has to settle for Marseille who have no European football this season. Also only signing a 2 year deal. Not exactly a great move if United and Arsenal were interested.

If anything, I think this proves that neither United nor Arsenal were genuinely interested. If they were, I don't think he would have ended up at Marseille on those terms (short contract and presumably not high wages either).

If anything, I think this proves that neither United nor Arsenal were genuinely interested. If they were, I don't think he would have ended up at Marseille on those terms (short contract and presumably not high wages either).

Yeah don't think we have been since 2022

Really odd posturing for a terrible outcome. Lost 10 weeks pay, estimated at £1.5m through greed. Signs a 2 year deal for approximately £200k/w, with the same signing on fee (estimated at £10m) he could have got anywhere.

He won’t even make up the lost £1.5m across his two year deal.

Could have had a pre season at one of many clubs, and been key to their plans. He’s now at Marseille, who are a huge and exciting club, but he’s not really done well out of the whole thing.

Marseille have done good business this year, and de zerbi as manager could do well.
I can't wait for Le Classique this season, gonna be fascinating watch seeing De Zerbi vs Luis Enrique battle it out tactically

Really odd posturing for a terrible outcome. Lost 10 weeks pay, estimated at £1.5m through greed. Signs a 2 year deal for approximately £200k/w, with the same signing on fee (estimated at £10m) he could have got anywhere.

He won’t even make up the lost £1.5m across his two year deal.

Could have had a pre season at one of many clubs, and been key to their plans. He’s now at Marseille, who are a huge and exciting club, but he’s not really done well out of the whole thing.

That's a bit ott.

Yes he's 'lost' money but he's now at a really good club looking to push on with an exciting manager under RDZ, who has done well for them so far and moving back to his home country, in a pretty decent city. Also he got 10 weeks of rest. Sure it was unpaid but that break at his age could do him a world of good in the long term, especially for a box-to-box player who had a long summer with the national team too.

We must be very confident about our current CM department and decided not to react/overreact. Hope it will turn out OK.
Or altrnatively we didn't have the money required to sign him (or felt he was worth it)

Not this shite hawk again, the sooner he fecks off the better. He’s been angling for a move to Saudi all summer.
Lou Macari is not official media, he's chippy owner with a platform.

They've always asked for way more than market rate. It's all about what they can get from the situation, not what they can offer. The only reason he joined Juventus was because they had massive tax breaks in Italy. He'll go to Saudi in the next couple of weeks and prove the point everyone is making.

Nostradamus over here.

Or altrnatively we didn't have the money required to sign him (or felt he was worth it)
I guess either of those 2 indeed, but I don’t understand it. Having a senior CM available on a free would easy earn the investment back. So come to think of it, I guess they just have confidence in our CMs

Loving the pearl clutching.

"I really hope these qualified people with access to all the data have thought this through. Because the view from here, in my parents boxroom, with zero hard data has me thinking we've made a grave error."

Are Marseille playing tonight or have they just got the flares out for him signing :lol:

Maybe philosopher Ten Hag vetoed it. Personally I was hoping we could get him. Low risk, good player, not asking for crazy wages. Marseille improved by signing him. I think we would have, too. Oh well.

That's a bit ott.

Yes he's 'lost' money but he's now at a really good club looking to push on with an exciting manager under RDZ, who has done well for them so far and moving back to his home country, in a pretty decent city. Also he got 10 weeks of rest. Sure it was unpaid but that break at his age could do him a world of good in the long term, especially for a box-to-box player who had a long summer with the national team too.

Not really. Marseille are a big club and it’s a great move.

But pricing yourself out of moves to other top teams, then earning less elsewhere, is monumentally stupid.

Not really. Marseille are a big club and it’s a great move.

But pricing yourself out of moves to other top teams, then earning less elsewhere, is monumentally stupid.

Unless I've missed something, I don't think we've actually heard from good sources that other clubs like ourselves were actually interested?

And to be fair, you're assuming money was his sole priority. Game time, city, coach and environment may have had a big say.

Maybe philosopher Ten Hag vetoed it. Personally I was hoping we could get him. Low risk, good player, not asking for crazy wages. Marseille improved by signing him. I think we would have, too. Oh well.

Ten Hag wanted him in 2 summers in a row and I think Romano at the time confirmed it that he really rates Rabiot. It's unlikely he vetoed it.

Ten Hag wanted him in 2 summers in a row and I think Romano at the time confirmed it that he really rates Rabiot. It's unlikely he vetoed it.

Just when I was finally accepting we have lost out you talk about Erik rating him, now I'm gutted again

So Rabiot's agent had discussions with Atletico's sporting director about where Rabiot would fit into the team. Isn't that a totally normal part of negotiations? Wouldn't any player expect their agent to discuss their role with potential employees?

So Rabiot's agent had discussions with Atletico's sporting director about where Rabiot would fit into the team. Isn't that a totally normal part of negotiations? Wouldn't any player expect their agent to discuss their role with potential employees?
Piece says “explaining … to”. Guessing it’s the difference between asking (normal) and telling

Maupay, Greenwood, Rabiot that could be an interesting and possibly explosive (in a bad way) dynamic at Marseille,