Adrien Rabiot - you're not going to believe this but his Mum is his agent and a circus

We clearly need a midfield option, and with the window closed there aren't many. It's a no brainer at this point, even if he's not played properly.

I've always preferred Rabiot in the 6 role. High quality and high volume passer. Great physicality. Intelligent positioning.

He'd be a smart signing but I definitely don't see us doing it.

images

We need his beautiful mane.

It would be a panic signing but the club should offer him a contract, the midfield desperately needs another addition.
I don’t think it would be a panic buy as it’s something that should have been done as soon as his contract ended. We’ve moved McTominay, Hannibal and VDB on whilst Casemiro and Eriksen are completely done and Mount is injury prone thus leaving Fernandes, Mainoo and Ugarte with Collyer having only come through weeks ago.

Whilst Rabiot doesn’t particularly like playing as a defensive midfielder he can do but what he does offer is someone who can play there, naturally plays the same position as Mainoo which will mean Mainoo can be rested, offers a physical threat, an aerial threat, experience at the very highest level and is now in his prime whilst also being a free agent so he can be registered for us.

I doubt we’d sign him unless Eriksen or Casemiro were offloaded to someone whose transfer window is still open. Eriksen leaving is probably unlikely and there is zero chance of shifting Casemiro.

Honestly his wages should not be a problem when we look at what Casemiro just served up. Sancho off the books means we can do this and at least have some more quality in there.

After the international break, we have to play every 3 days. We need at least one more midfielder for rotation.

Not what we need, but still better than our current options.

Sorry if I’ve missed something, but how can Ajax sign Eriksen now? Is their window still open?

Our FA didnt want to work late friday and during the weekend so they decided that our window closes after the weekend. A bit weird but last year they did the same which meant the window closed earlier than other countries.

If he would accept a 1+1 year contract then great. Sounds like he's wanting a 4 year contract, or something similar.

The Athletic reporting that they have been told that Utd have absolutely no interest in Rabiot this summer.

Was that before or after Liverpool ran riot over our midfield?
Rabiot would not have fixed that.

You guys always do this. Wanting mediocrity. Almost begging for it. Then you do end up signing the desired target and are shocked at what you’re getting. Rinse and repeat.

If the reports are true and United have no interest: finally some good decision-making.

You guys always do this. Wanting mediocrity. Almost begging for it. Then you do end up signing the desired target and are shocked at what you’re getting. Rinse and repeat.

If the reports are true and United have no interest: finally some good decision-making.
He starts for France. He’s better than what we have available. Short contract on normal wages in line with the rest of the squad. Or watch us have another season with a negative goal difference.

We already have a midfield crisis when everyone is fully fit
:lol: :lol: :lol: word!

If people think Ugarte and Mainoo can play all games in all competitions, at their highest level, the entire season - they need a reality check.

He starts for France. He’s better than what we have available. Short contract on normal wages in line with the rest of the squad. Or watch us have another season with a negative goal difference.
Have to agree with you on this one. We are so thin if we can get him on around 150k a week we have to.

If' he's totally greedy then no.

Only 29, quite high profile and can't find a club. There must be a good reason for that.
Yes and the reason is quite well-known - he wants to play in premier league, for a top club, his salaries are high. All clubs that satisfy all of those criteria already have younger, better midfielders, some on lesser wages.

Ok, BUT WE DO NOT

Stop looking at others and mind your own business. If he agrees to come in for less than 200K/week and not moan if he doesn't start when we have better options available, then we should definitely sign him because our midfield is fecked, as it is

Big "ifs", and why it probably has not happened, not a definite "no" however

I agree, he wouldn't have fixed it, but why would he be mediocre? He's a very solid #8 who could provide some much needed passing abilities and provide competition for Mainoo.

Yes and the reason is quite well-known - he wants to play in premier league, for a top club, his salaries are high. All clubs that satisfy all of those criteria already have younger, better midfielders, some on lesser wages.

Ok, BUT WE DO NOT

Stop looking at others and mind your own business. If he agrees to come in for less than 200K/week and not moan if he doesn't start when we have better options available, then we should definitely sign him because our midfield is fecked, as it is

this is nowhere confirmed. He might just want a big paycheck and happy to go to Saudi. We'll see in the next days. I personally think we dodged a bullet, as we don't need more off the pitch drama.

this is nowhere confirmed. He might just want a big paycheck and happy to go to Saudi. We'll see in the next days. I personally think we dodged a bullet, as we don't need more off the pitch drama.
It is very-well reported that his top choice is to join premier league

That may not happen and he may very well go to Saudi, as you said. Definitely a very possible outcome, as well

Ok, BUT WE DO NOT

I think it's also important his contract is short, 1-2 years. Give him a 3-4 year contract and we may end up with more deadweight.

I think it's also important his contract is short, 1-2 years. Give him a 3-4 year contract and we may end up with more deadweight.
True. Short contract of 1+1 ideally or 2+1 at most.
Rabiot would be a gamble for a short-term fix we need. He is not investment in any kind of long-term plan, but we need short term fix as well, clearly. There will be no future if we are a disaster right now, right here

He's only 29 so I think 3 years would be fine. I'd definitely consider 4 to be too many though.
Casemiro is only 32. Varane is only 31. Raheem Sterling and Antony Martial are only 29 and 28.

Rabiot's at the age where a large decline in any given season is certainly possible. He may maintain his form, but I certainly wouldn't want to have several years left on his contract in case he does decline.

It may be the case he goes elsewhere if we don't give him a long deal. I think we just have to live with that though if we want to start having cleaner books. 32 year old Rabiot is not likely to be good; we don't want to commit to that future version Rabiot now.