Adrien Rabiot - you're not going to believe this but his Mum is his agent.

We’ve finally adopted a coherent transfer policy of targeting 24 year olds and younger with potential in positions we need strengthening. This smacks of our previous scattergun approach of big names on the way down in positions we are already covered

I mean, if it allows us to sell someone and raise funds for another signing it's a no brainer - assuming he doesn't feck up the dressing room. He's comfortably better than midfielders who got a lot of playing time for us last season.

We’ve finally adopted a coherent transfer policy of targeting 24 year olds and younger with potential in positions we need strengthening. This smacks of our previous scattergun approach of big names on the way down in positions we are already covered
No, we can add a ton of experience and quality with this signing without hampering our transfer kitty. We are adding youth but we need experienced heads as well. Not every player is De Ligt who is vastly experienced at 24.

Arsenal added Jorginho to their squad for cheap while continuing to nurture young talents. We should not play FM where we just keep signing wonderkids and hope that they succeed.

I would for sure

would do a lot more than Eriksen for our midfield options

Don’t get the comparisons to Woodward if it’s on a free. 2-3 year heavily incentive based contract. Perfect depth signing.

This is the opposite of Woodward.

No, we can add a ton of experience and quality with this signing without hampering our transfer kitty. We are adding youth but we need experienced heads as well. Not every player is De Ligt who is vastly experienced at 24.

Arsenal added Jorginho to their squad for cheap while continuing to nurture young talents. We should not play FM where we just keep signing wonderkids and hope that they succeed.

I’ve seen the experience of Casemiro, Varane, Eriksen, Weghorst, Sabitzer, Cavani, Ronaldo, Sanchez et al. Serious question, who was the last 29+ year old we’ve signed who was successful for more than 1 season and didn’t end up on the ‘dead wood’ list?

I’ve seen the experience of Casemiro, Varane, Eriksen, Weghorst, Sabitzer, Cavani, Ronaldo, Sanchez et al. Serious question, who was the last 29+ year old we’ve signed who was successful for more than 1 season and didn’t end up on the ‘dead wood’ list?

Probably Van der Sar

The thing with signing senior players is that it’s a short term fix. The issue we’ve had is that we’ve treated them like long-term signings with big investment like Casemiro.

I don’t think anyone has any issues with the signings of Cavani, Zlatan, Eriksen and even Ronaldo had he not been such a disruptive prick.

Really only depends on the wages.

The move fell apart previously in 2022, because we didn't cave in to his and his mother's demands. If they're either willing to accept the lower wages this time around, or Ineos appreciate the player more than the previous regime did, then I would absolutely be in support of this signing. ETH likes him as well, as it was reported 2 years ago.

I think he would be a great fit for us, and we need a CM. However, 3 year contract or no thanks. I don't want a saga around his renewal every year with these 1/2 year contracts that he signs.

I’m not a massive fan, but given the choice between him and Amrabat for a roughly similar outlay, I’d probably rather have Rabiot.

Different type of players and different positions.

I think he's a quality player who would add something to the midfield. If it could help get Eriksen out of the door, picking him up on a free would be a good move in my opinion. I'm not sure I'd want it to last more than a couple of years.

If we move McTominay, Eriksen and Casemiro all on along VDB then brought in Ugarte, Amrabat and Rabiot whilst slowly bringing Collyer through I’d be all for it.

You’d have Mainoo and Ugarte as your starting two with Fernandes ahead then Amrabat and Rabiot with Mount as your back up and the likes of Collyer, the Fletcher’s and Fitzgerald all coming through too.

Agree and ideally max. a 2 yr contract.
3 yrs, sell him to Saudis in his final year. I reckon he would be a better DM for us than Ugarte. Very good athlete, great physically, uses the ball quite well, composed and good defensive awareness. If he comes in, he'll be our starting DM. We can get rid of Eriksen and Mctominay and Casemiro and bring in him, and promote the young Collyer.

3 yrs, sell him to Saudis in his final year. I reckon he would be a better DM for us than Ugarte. Very good athlete, great physically, uses the ball quite well, composed and good defensive awareness. If he comes in, he'll be our starting DM. We can get rid of Eriksen and Mctominay and Casemiro and bring in him, and promote the young Collyer.

A better DM than Ugarte is a very bold statement. He's hardly a DM. I think we need both. Let Ugarte do the dirty work and let Rabiot play a bit further up the pitch.

The man always left on a free his contracts, we're not selling him to no one.

Seems a sensible move at reasonable wages, on the face of it. But you have to ask why he's seemingly on a free every summer?

Feck it I'll even take him on a one year contract while we tide over other prospects. We'd have a quality midfielder for a season, and we wouldn't have to resort to McTominay's hide and seek side quests in the middle of the pitch.

Yes he turned us down in the past but who cares, Yoro would have turned us down for Madrid had they matched our offer. Its a free transfer.

I’d hardly call him a “big name” and we certainly aren’t covered at the position

He is not a DM at all.

I'd have him for a reasonable contract. Even if he's made amongst the top 25% earners at the club, it would still be a lot cheaper than trying to sign someone of his calibre who wasn't a free agent. Would fill a gap and let us focus on other areas for a couple years.

Last edited:
He has changed clubs once during his whole career.

Yeah I looked it up and he had a loan spell at Toulose but other than that his senior career has only been with PSG and Juventus, I was suprised to see that he was in City's academy at one point as well.

For a decent salary, I'd take him. At least two levels above what McT and Amrabat have to offer, and a great stop-gap solution before we can sign a long term player for that position.

Should only consider this AFTER signing Ugarte, and even then only if we're at least getting rid of one of McTominay/Amrabat.

Replacing Casemiro and Amrabat with Ugarte and Rabiot would be decent.

Saudi signing all day

I think it’s either this or he’s one of those players who will bounce around Seria A between all the top teams on really cheap deals and look amazing in the CL and for France until his mid 30s. He would probably be a disaster or disappear if he signed to a big PL club for whatever reason. I don’t see INEOS going for him either way

Last edited:
Can't decide on this one. Though not sure if we're even interested anyway.

Him being available on a free is very appealing. Especially if we can sell one or two of the likes of Casemiro (especially) and maybe McTominay, to help fund other additions.

However, for our first XI, we're more needing a DM who'll compliment Mainoo and Fernandes, and that's not Rabiot. We'd need to being in someone else as the main starter (Ugarte), and have Rabiot and Mount as good squad options.

I'm also never confident as to what kind of an attitude he has. I seem to have read a lot that he's criticised for his attitude and has clashed with coaches. So not sure how he'd react to being a squad player - I imagine, not great. But how we could get him into the main starting XI in a balanced midfield with Mainoo and Fernandes I don't know.

We've tried to sign him before so seems a decent chance we'll be back in for him.

Truthfully, Mctominay, Eriksen, Casemiro and Amrabat should all be shown the door. However we'd need 3 midfielders brought in to compensate, and a lot of other positions to fill too. When you need multiple signings in one position, it's difficult to turn down a free transfer on a short term deal.

Though I guess the signing on fee and wages could put us off.

I also really want us to continue signing a younger profile of player, which Rabiot is not. We've seen with the likes of Casemiro and others, we've been quite unlucky with players falling of a cliff in terms of quality when they hit their 30s. But again, less of an issue when it's a free transfer.

Haha christ you're right! In my mind he's been available on the regular, but my mistake I guess.

It's not that weird that a United fan would have the impression, even though it's not true.

In 15/16 there were talks of him considering leaving PSG, and I'm sure United was linked, but he ended up renewing. This was probably just negotiation stuff. When he left PSG after 18/19 United was mentioned, but he ended up at Juventus. Last year his contract ran out, and United tried to sign him, but he extended with Juventus for another year. Now he left, so he's available.

I've been a fan for a while and felt we should have signed him two seasons ago. He's still only 29 so if for a reasonable fee or free he'd be a good addition to the squad as a senior experienced player with good technical ability and good fitness level for his age.