Adam Wharton - looks destined for big things.

But in what ways was he better than them? He was the attacking mid and he got 3 assists, barely better than the 2 DMs behind him.

He has the worst passing stats of the 3 (all 3 terrible passing stats).
He wasn't the attacking mid though. He usually operated nexr to Lerma as the organizer and ball progressor, which despite what the fbref numbers might say he did pretty well. He's also pretty good defensively

He wasn't the attacking mid though. He usually operated nexr to Lerma as the organizer and ball progressor, which despite what the fbref numbers might say he did pretty well. He's also pretty good defensively
Fair, I was wrong with that, but in my experience watching him, he more often plays more advanced than his partner. Gets closer to the box.

Fair, I was wrong with that, but in my experience watching him, he more often plays more advanced than his partner. Gets closer to the box.
Yeah, Lerma is more of a pure destroyer. Wharton is more like Bruno Guimaraes at Newcastle

He is being unreasonably built up on here though, yeah. He's been good, but it's 16 games and it's not like he was young Cesc Fabregas

The player he reminds me of most is Carrick?

Would Carrick & Mainoo play well together?

I remember before Hargreaves our CDM was Carrick and Scholes playing CM, so it should be possible.

Wharton looks like a deep lying playmaker with great ability for long balls and Mainoo seems more like De Jong, a more transitional short pass & move player.

Am i right @Shipperley?

A left footed playmaker is very rare, i wouldnt be surprised if we were interested in him.

Last edited:
But in what ways was he better than them? He was the attacking mid and he got 3 assists, barely better than the 2 DMs behind him.

He has the worst passing stats of the 3 (all 3 terrible passing stats).

Lerma didn’t play in CM much at all under Glasner, he filled in for Guehi at CB then got injured himself. Will Hughes was Wharton’s primary partner. But we don’t play with an ‘attacking mid’, we play with two 6s and effectively two 10s in Eze and Olise.

Next season he’ll be playing alongside Cheick Doucoure who is coming back from a long term injury, he’s also a brilliant CM that was also being spoken about for £60-70m last summer. I’m excited.

Last edited:
I don't see the reason to wait another year to buy.

Now, his market value has rise to:

MV march 2024 = 20 mill euros
MV Juin 2024 = 30 mill euros
MV juin 2025 = After a really good season for Palace = MV over 60 mill euros?

So why not buy him this summer when his mv is still lower than then future potential MV and price.

And Manchester United need a replacement both for Casemiro and Eriksen.

Casemiro and Eriksen = not good enough for top 4 and champion league this season.

Palace with Wharton after 31 Jan table will be really high up there on the table.

Getting Wharton will help and rise United chance to get champion league football next season and top 4 or above on the league table.

I really hope Wilcox and Ten Hag are aware of this factor and reason. Casemiro and Eriksen will found it really difficult to help United to get champion league football next season.

United and Ten Hag cm player that cover the field a lot. Younger and faster legs.

Adam Wharton is a must for United and Ten Hag.

He's guaranteed football at palace, makes more sense for him to stay another year. I doubt palace will sell him after a few good months when they could get more next summer IF he progresses.

His market value is 30 mill euros. Due to transfermarkt.

1.How much will you pay to get him this summer?

2. And how much do you think Crystal Palace will be satisfy? To let him go this summer?

Wharton and new top CB Yoro 2 clearly positions to strenght.

Varane + Martinez still uncertain and Maguire = new top CB is a must

Beside Wharton both replacement for Casemiro and Eriksen. Because Wharton is a all round cm player, with playmaker, controlling and dictating ability.

Last edited:
Never saw him live but was curious because Bayern is reportedly interested so I watched a full season highlight video of him. Looks decent in most areas and great at long range passing. Then I checked his stats and they look very, very average. Only 78% passing accuracy in total and 56% on over long distances. Seems as if all the good long passes I've seen in the video have been bought with lots of turnovers?

Apparently the transfer would cost them around €70m. Based on the limited impressions I have, that seems pretty expensive.

His market value is 30 mill euros. Due to transfermarkt.

1.How much will you pay to get him this summer?
30M euros

2. And how much do you think Crystal Palace will be satisfy? To let him go this summer?
Way more than 30 mill euros. Probably in the region of 80 aka Not Worth It

This is a signing for City, not United. The latter need a ready made sure thing at that price

No shit, he was playing for Blackburn ffs

Buying from the Championship is not an issue. Eze and Olise were there as well before their moves.

It is more that he isnt Dutch or played for ETH before and our scouts have no clue what is going on in the Championship talent wise in addition.

Buying from the Championship is not an issue. Eze and Olise were there as well before their moves.

It is more that he isnt Dutch or played for ETH before and our scouts have no clue what is going on in the Championship talent wise in addition.
I meant more that he was living close to Manchester, as if it's a slight on United for not buying him

Or he was offered to basically every PL team and Palace were the only ones apparently interested enough to get him. Can’t blame our scouts for literally everything, some players you have to see in a different team or, more likely here, Palace were the only ones who would pay the ~£20m for him.

There are more mentions of Wharton in other player threads than his own. I encourage folks to actually watch him more before we accede to the crazy transfer fees being suggested.

Not saying he’s a bad player. Far from it. It does feel like people are idealizing Wharton without actually seeing him play.

That’s how you end up with crazy valuations and unnecessary fan pressure to “make it happen”

I don't think there's been a transfer thread about another player where Wharton hasn't figured in a so called "future eleven".

What makes people so certain he will play for United next year? I must have missed it.

There are more mentions of Wharton in other player threads than his own. I encourage folks to actually watch him more before we accede to the crazy transfer fees being suggested.

Not saying he’s a bad player. Far from it. It does feel like people are idealizing Wharton without actually seeing him play.

That’s how you end up with crazy valuations and unnecessary fan pressure to “make it happen”
i started watching him on MOTD because hes so frequently mentioned on CAF. Last match he passed the ball to the opposition who went on to score against palace. He also missed a slide tackle that led to another chance. Good signs.

How has he started the season? I haven’t watched Palace, just been following results.
My first time watch of him was the opening game of the season against Brentford. He played around 70mins before being subbed off.

The boy can play. Agile, intelligent, decent range of passing with that left foot of his. Always wanted the ball. Wasn't afraid to have a pop on goal..hit the target a couple of times with some clean shots.
He played in a double pivot in centre-midfield.

I need to watch more full matches of his to cast a critical eye on his game.

From the 30minutes highlights of Palace's game against West Ham this past weekend defensively he didn't seem to fare well...

I’ve never seen a player on here have such a small but vocal following, almost to Ronaldo levels! At thr moment he’s a decent talent, nothing more. Does well in some games, doesn’t do so well in others. Still has a lot to learn, similar to Kobbie.

I’ve never seen a player on here have such a small but vocal following, almost to Ronaldo levels! At thr moment he’s a decent talent, nothing more. Does well in some games, doesn’t do so well in others. Still has a lot to learn, similar to Kobbie.

Yup. Plenty of players have looked good at this age and not kicked on to be good enough for the highest level.

It's a wait and watch situation. Use that time to incentive him not to do something stupid like sign a long term deal with palace that will price him out of a move in the future.

My first time watch of him was the opening game of the season against Brentford. He played around 70mins before being subbed off.

The boy can play. Agile, intelligent, decent range of passing with that left foot of his. Always wanted the ball. Wasn't afraid to have a pop on goal..hit the target a couple of times with some clean shots.

From the 30minutes highlights of Palace's game against West Ham this past weekend defensively he didn't seem to fare well...
Yeah, the bolded bit seems to be what i recall as his strengths (after we played Palace away and I first took note of him and followed his thread on here subsequently).

I guess the inconsistency is something that'll happen as he develops and adapts to PL football. Hope he manages to kick on. Would be an excellent replacement for Casemiro and give us some great options/combinations in midfield.

Watched that game. He wasn’t even the better CM for Palace and Brentford made the pairing look a bit meh

He has less premier league experience than Kobbie Mainoo. Keep that in mind when you judge him. He's started 17 premier league games and for a 19 and now 20 year old he's done well

So far he's a very good ball winner with some assists from midfield and the expected assists higher so likely to provide more not less. Passing numbers and ability to bring the ball forward himself are areas he could vastly improve on. Granted he might just improve his defensive game rather than his all round game. But other than players in the bracket of Ugarte who is several years older, his ball winning stats are more than good enough to be your more defensive minded midfielder in a 2

dd06402ae35e2ad42661bf5a1d6c4fbe.png

Hopefully someone else forks out 70m on him.
Our last successful signing of an English player happened 20 years ago, almost to the day.
That’s 2 decades, 240 months, 1050 weeks, 7,300 days, 175,200 hours, you catch my drift.

Develop our own English players, buy from elsewhere, Portugal for example.

Do what works, don’t do what doesn’t work, it’s not rocket science.

Edit: I totally forgot Carrick the poor chap, he was great too.
I’m not going to recalculate all of this, but Carrick was 18 years ago, so its not that far off.

Last edited:
Our last successful signing of an English player happened 20 years ago, almost to the day.
That’s 2 decades, 240 months, 1050 weeks, 7,300 days, 175,200 hours, you catch my drift.

We dont operate in a vaccuum. Some may not have been successful it doesnt mean no English players have been successful. We picked the wrong ones or the right ones werent interested and went to other clubs.

You're also counting lots of summers where we didnt sign any English players and its 10 years since Shaw who was undoubtably worth it.

15/16 - 0, 16/17 - 0, 17/18 - 0, 18/19 - Lee Grant to play in the reserves, 0 for the first team,

19/20 Maguire and AWB vastly improved our defensive record. They may not have been worth the money paid but they were incredibly important all the same and that was the case in 20/21 as well

20/21 - 0, 21-22 - Sancho, 22/23 - 0, 23/24 - Mount

So we only signed English players for the first team in 3 of 10 seasons and only 4 in number total.

He has less premier league experience than Kobbie Mainoo. Keep that in mind when you judge him. He's started 17 premier league games and for a 19 and now 20 year old he's done well

So far he's a very good ball winner with some assists from midfield and the expected assists higher so likely to provide more not less. Passing numbers and ability to bring the ball forward himself are areas he could vastly improve on. Granted he might just improve his defensive game rather than his all round game. But other than players in the bracket of Ugarte who is several years older, his ball winning stats are more than good enough to be your more defensive minded midfielder in a 2

dd06402ae35e2ad42661bf5a1d6c4fbe.png
No, no, no! You’re supposed to have pitchforks out for him to quell the hype and bay on him for any bad game he has rather than let the boy develop and observe his progress.

He’s completely wet behind the ears, which makes what he’s done to that factually rare - if he carries on with the same trajectory, he’s going to be a very big deal.

Edit: I totally forgot Carrick the poor chap, he was great too.
I’m not going to recalculate all of this, but Carrick was 18 years ago, so its not that far off.
Shaw went fit has been great for us.