Music A thread with limited appeal...for Rush fans & those who like 'proper' drummers

Ooo excuse to share this absolute beauty. Tis monster.

I must've watched this over 20 times already this year. It's just perfect. One of the best drummers in the world at the moment and just an all-time great. That video is perfect, the angles that are captured and the way that it just showcases the drummer at work, rather than trying to be too clever and aiming to overload the viewer. It's such a good video. :drool:

Wish we got more drum videos of this type of the pros in action.

One of my favourite drummers has always been Sean Reinert, who I think really deserves a mention in this thread. I always felt like Neil Peart was his most obvious influence. It's almost fitting in its sadness that he passed away not three weeks after Neil Peart earlier this year, though sadly at a much younger age. Interestingly, he also lists Terry Bozzio among his influences, who is mentioned two posts above this one. Reinert is most famous for helping to popularize technical death metal on Death's Human and of course Focus by Cynic. The best video I could find was from a later Cynic record, more mellow but such a lovely grooving drum track. He was never technical or fast just for the sake of it, but there's always plenty going on in his tracks.

Yeah, he was one of those metal drummers who merged speed and technical skills with musicality and a great flow.

I like the footage from old Death concerts - it's obvious he didn't just rely on scripted licks, but always had some improvisation going on:

Last edited: