g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

2024 UEFA Champions League final — Borussia Dortmund vs Real Madrid — Wembley, Sat 1 June 20:00 BST

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
After what we did with Liverpool and City(several times)I hope and expect your full support for the final. I guess you won't be so Judas as to let us down.
Just kidding! know you're going to go with the underdog and you'll be pissed off when we win unfairly, but we forgive you :D
That one Madrid fan who said harsh truth about the City fans and then said how United fans would appreciate a great team is enough for me to tip my hat to you lot.

Winrar

When was the last time Madrid lost a Euro final? Mid 80’s?
Cup winner’s cup final to SAF’s Aberdeen in 1983.

If you count the super cup, they did lose to Atletico in 2018.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
After what we did with Liverpool and City(several times)I hope and expect your full support for the final. I guess you won't be so Judas as to let us down.
Just kidding! know you're going to go with the underdog and you'll be pissed off when we win unfairly, but we forgive you :D
I'm going to cheer for Madrid for sure. You guys saved us from lot of humiliation, you did more for ManUtd than anyone (including player and manager) post SAF.

JogaBonitoRooney

I hope United fans support Real Madrid. In fact I expect all English fans except City fans to support Madrid. We are the team that stopped City from back to back trebles.
Nah your lot can feck off. Would be great to see Bellingham cry after losing in a CL final to Dortmund. He deserves it after not playing on the final day of ast season's league game Dortmund had to win. I have no doubt he's the type to cry.

black country red

If dortmund win it makes a mockery of the title champions league they haven’t won their league for 12 years I think bit like the scousers in 2005 who hadn’t won the league for 25 years

RoyH1

More chance of Sancho flying to New York before the game than him doing anything remotely impactful in the game.
He’s up against Ferland Mendy so that’s probably true. That guy rarely let’s anyone get past him.

Every neutral in the world will be supporting Dortmund except maybe the odd Schalke ultra.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If dortmund win it makes a mockery of the title champions league they haven’t won their league for 12 years I think bit like the scousers in 2005 who hadn’t won the league for 25 years
It’s been quite a while since UEFA allowed 2nd, 3rd and 4th placed teams in, thought people would get used to this by now.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He’s up against Ferland Mendy so that’s probably true. That guy rarely let’s anyone get past him.

Every neutral in the world will be supporting Dortmund except maybe the odd Schalke ultra.
I guess a lot of Bayern fans also would root for Real. It probably eases the pain of not winning stuff this season when at least Dortmund also doesn't win anything.

Dortmund, Leverkusen and Leipzig winning titles this season but not Bayern would just break (some of) their hearts :devil: :devil:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It’s been quite a while since UEFA allowed 2nd, 3rd and 4th placed teams in, thought people would get used to this by now.
Still most of the winning teams either win their league in the same year or at least not that long ago. Liverpool and maybe now Dortmund are notable exceptions to that.

Sarni

Still most of the winning teams either win their league in the same year or at least not that long ago. Liverpool and maybe now Dortmund are notable exceptions to that.
Yeah typically the best teams win and they tend to also be the best or thereabouts domestically, but the name 'Champions League' is quite clearly a brand at this point, it doesn't indicate that each of the teams participating is actually a champion of their own country like it did at the beginning. You wouldn't even be able to go back to that format anymore as it would make the competition pointless and horrible (on top of making secondary competition - UEFA Cup / Europa League - much stronger than the prime competition).

JogaBonitoRooney

Yeah typically the best teams win and they tend to also be the best or thereabouts domestically, but the name 'Champions League' is quite clearly a brand at this point, it doesn't indicate that each of the teams participating is actually a champion of their own country like it did at the beginning. You wouldn't even be able to go back to that format anymore as it would make the competition pointless and horrible (on top of making secondary competition - UEFA Cup / Europa League - much stronger than the prime competition).
Nah man we have to go back to the old format so we can see the chances of Steaua Bucharest or APOEL winning increase. At least they're real Champions in their league!

Leave those runners up losers Barcelona, Arsenal, Dortmund at home. Nobody wants to watch them.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Third time for Borussia Dortmund to feature in the CL final - won in 1997, lost in 2013.
Eighteenth time for Real Madrid to reach the CL final - won in 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, lost in 1962, 1964, 1981.

Kroos could win his record 6th CL title (no other player achieved that), Ancelotti going for the record 5th CL title as the manager.
Madrid won 8 out of 8 last Champions League finals they featured in and they will be huge favourites again.

Who wins at Wembley?
Paco Gento has 6 trophies (he was a veteran starter in the 1966 final vs Partizan) and it is not just Kroos who could get 6. Modric, Carvajal and Nacho would have that number too.

I don't know what will happen, but somehow I don't think I will suffer as much in this game as in 2022 for instance. Not because I don't think Dortmund can win, but because if they win I won't feel as bad. Don't ask me why.

Last edited:

Sarni

Nah man we have to go back to the old format so we can see the chances of Steaua Bucharest or APOEL winning increase. At least they're real Champions in their league!

Leave those runners up losers Barcelona, Arsenal, Dortmund at home. Nobody wants to watch them.
Back in the 80s and even most of the 90s teams from smaller leagues could still be quite competitive against the big leagues. 1995-96 champions of England, Blackburn, finished bottom of the group which saw Legia Warsaw and Spartak Moscow go through to QFs (remember watching Legia as a kid, that was a big deal in Poland at the time). Legia were there beaten by Panathinaikos, who gave Ajax quite a game in semifinal too. The gulf in quality was significant but not significant enough to make these games pointless.

Since then we've moved to an era where smaller league teams cannot even compete in Europa League hence needed a separate competition formed with them in mind, Conference League, which I am glad has happened because we at least have a chance for Polish/Czech/Slovakian/Hungarian teams to have a chance of playing European football in March which seemed impossible a few years ago.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Nobody has won more CLs while not being champions than Real
I guess. Did zero research.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Those were times when Steaua Bucharest or Red Star Belgrade had top teams, impossible now due the financial gap between the top leagues and the rest. The early signs of the gap were when the same Steaua were heavily beaten by a juiced up Milan with Gullit, Rijkaard and Van Basten in the CL final in 1989. If you look at the Barca team that Steaua beaten on pens in 86, they were nothing special.
We can never go back because of money. We will go forward with 6-7-8 teams from each top league and let the smaller teams from smaller countries fight over the bone in the Conference League.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Not entirely sure the translation is accurate as we all know how far the media can go with their usual tricks, but if it is, Julan Ryerson may have taken a bad decision choosing to give his rivals extra motivation for free.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Nobody has won more CLs while not being champions than Real
I guess. Did zero research.
Well duh. We won it 7 times since the expansion to non champions. Second most is Negreira with 4

RoyH1

Not entirely sure the translation is accurate as we all know how far the media can go with their usual tricks, but if it is, Julan Ryerson may have taken a bad decision choosing to give his rivals extra motivation for free.

You think so? I don't think there's anything there in it that's the least malicious or nasty. Just a pro saying it's all the same at this level.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
You think so? I don't think there's anything there in it that's the least malicious or nasty. Just a pro saying it's all the same at this level.
Yes, I think you are correct. Marca has made a direct translation of it and it sounds much worse than it really is.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
15 years. Not that long when another team is dominating it. Same for Dortmund. It’s a cup competition.

Red Regista

If Dortmund can make the CL final with that squad, we could have too with our squad.

Difference is, their players actually cared and their trio of managers have a clue about tactics and getting the best out of players.

RoyH1

If Dortmund can make the CL final with that squad, we could have too with our squad.

Difference is, their players actually cared and their trio of managers have a clue about tactics and getting the best out of players.
I think Bayer Leverkusen is proving that having the right manager and technical direction/scouting on the same page with him and a motivated, fit squad can achieve wonders.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
This is going to be like when Madrid beat Frankfurt 8-3 in the 50s. It's going to be a bloodbath.

TPM

Supports
Real Madrid
I wouldn't go this far, they won both the home and away legs against them and didn't lose a goal in the tie. It's not by the skin off their teeth in my books. They also topped their "group of death" and got past solid Atletico in the QFs. They've been really good in the CL this season - although I also think it will be a formality for Madrid.
PSG hit like 8+ posts in their 2 games, Dortmund won by the definition of by the skin of their teeth.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
If Dortmund winning the champions League is making a mockery of the term Champions League then Madrid shouldn't be winning it as well, they weren't champions of anything last season.

This is never going to change though, the UCL makes too much money for UEFA to suddenly go back to how it should be with only league champions playing.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'm seeing some Tweets suggesting that Dortmund will get less in prize money if they win than they will in bonus payments from Madrid (Bellingham deal) if they lose.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Meh, I know we're supposed to hype it up and say that Dortmund has an underdog chance but this screams formality to me. I think it'll be a comfortable win for Real.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'm seeing some Tweets suggesting that Dortmund will get less in prize money if they win than they will in bonus payments from Madrid (Bellingham deal) if they lose.
Great negotiation skills by Dortmund if true, and of course just a great story that both Bellingham and his former team reached this stage. But I bet there is more money to make if you win the CL money (additional marketing, merchandise etc) on top of the prize money, so even if that should be true it still is no financial incentive for Dortmund to lose.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Great negotiation skills by Dortmund if true, and of course just a great story that both Bellingham and his former team reached this stage. But I bet there is more money to make if you win the CL money (additional marketing, merchandise etc) on top of the prize money, so even if that should be true it still is no financial incentive for Dortmund to lose.
Oh absolutely.

It's just funny to think that when Madrid win, they'll basically have to give all the prize money (and more) to the team they just beat.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Bellingham's story arc is crazy. First season in Madrid, wins the league and gets to the CL final where he has to face Dortmund.
Scores last minute winners in both Classicos while being a midfielder who is almost top scorer in La Liga

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Oh absolutely.

It's just funny to think that when Madrid win, they'll basically have to give all the prize money (and more) to the team they just beat.
At least they would have a title to show for it. No comparison to Barca having to pay Liverpool for Coutinho winning the CL with Bayern :lol:

RoyH1

Teams selling to RM can be almost sure to cash in on those winning the CL add-ons. Crazy to see

BorisManUtd

Given that they beat Atletico, Juve and Liverpool in their previous 5 finals, Real will be disappointed if they lose to Dortmund (no disrespect of course, more that they probably aren't as good as those teams mentioned were) especially as they're going for that 15th CL win.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I hope United fans support Real Madrid. In fact I expect all English fans except City fans to support Madrid. We are the team that stopped City from back to back trebles.
And we’re grateful :) Think you’ll win the final quite easy to be fair if your on it. If you play like you did in 2nd leg against city and 1st leg 1st half against Bayern then Dortmund will have a chance.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Given that they beat Atletico, Juve and Liverpool in their previous 5 finals, Real will be disappointed if they lose to Dortmund (no disrespect of course, more that they probably aren't as good as those teams mentioned were) especially as they're going for that 15th CL win.
Seems like yesterday that they finally got La Decima. Crazy to think they could make it 15 now.