2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

The polls and votes are all well and good, but the MAGA/Republican strategists have spent the last 4 years improving on their plans of what to do if they lose the vote.

As insane as it is there were no repercussions for the first coup, I hope at least something has been done to defend against the 2nd one.

These guys have 77% chance for Trump.

Half of American ‘polls’ or predictions seem to be campaign material. Designed to give Trump supporters validation of vote.

“If he’s going to win, I’m allowed to vote for him”

It all feels like a racket from the outside looking in.

The polls and votes are all well and good, but the MAGA/Republican strategists have spent the last 4 years improving on their plans of what to do if they lose the vote.

As insane as it is there were no repercussions for the first coup, I hope at least something has been done to defend against the 2nd one.

The gravity of it has only sunk in later for me.

Ohio is gone, gone, gone. The bleed of young voters out of state from the Cleveland and Cincinnati area and GOP swing in rural area of the state means there’s no path back for a national party that increasingly rely on college educated suburban voters.

Florida is possible but would require a substantial persuasion effort to bring back the Dade margin to Obama-Clinton level (25+), in addition to winning seniors as retirees flock to that state (Harris is showing signs of life in that regard in this cycle polling, albeit it can be just noise).

Overall, the future of the Democratic Party electoral path lies in the Sun Belt. Especially the growing metro Atlanta, Phoenix, Raleigh/research triangle. Texas is close but it will be very inelastic for a while. Meanwhile, PA is going the way of Ohio but the only reason stopping it for the moment is the size of Pittsburgh/Philadelphia and their suburbs.
I have no hopes in Ohio. I’m not fully giving up on Florida.

Now, let me clarify my view:
1. OH and FL were not blue states that become red. They were swing states that became red. Obviously that limits the options of Democrats, but they didn’t lose states that they should win.

2. Democrats started to win states that used to be solidly red, like AZ and GA. Look at Romney 2012 vs. Trump 2020 and the midterms of 2022. VA and CO used to be red too.

3. Republicans started to compete in MI, WI and PA, but they didn’t become red, at least not yet.

And so, while you never know what might happen and while the GOP made gains in the rust belt since 2016, no blue state has become red.

As for TX and MS: the former will go blue sooner or later. MS is tougher, but if the black community continues to grow and votes 85-90% for the democrats, it can happen some point in the future (not anytime soon).

The only question is of course New York State. But let’s see how the Democrats do in November; they need a better showing than in 2022 to relieve the anxiety about the future of this state.

1. OH and FL were not blue states that become red. They were swing states that became red. Obviously that limits the options of Democrats, but they didn’t lose states that they should win.

2. Democrats started to win states that used to be solidly red, like AZ and GA. Look at Romney 2012 vs. Trump 2020 and the midterms of 2022. VA and CO used to be red too.

3. Republicans started to compete in MI, WI and PA, but they didn’t become red, at least not yet.

And so, while you never know what might happen and while the GOP made gains in the rust belt since 2016, no blue state has become red.

As for TX and MS: the former will go blue sooner or later. MS is tougher, but if the black community continues to grow and votes 85-90% for the democrats, it can happen some point in the future (not anytime soon).

The only question is of course New York State. But let’s see how the Democrats do in November; they need a better showing than in 2022 to relieve the anxiety about the future of this state.
New York isn’t going red anytime soon, at worse it becomes VA. There are simply too many votes in NYC and the city is too diverse for it to become red.

The problem with Texas is there isnt this untapped pool of voters that is overwhelmingly Ds, so you have to rely on translants in the growing Dallas/Houston metro area, and that process will take a lot of time, the Latino population there is also much more GOP friendly, so any influx will not break 3:1 for Ds to make up the 4/5 pts margin in the short term. It's a different case to GA with its large black population that breaks at least 85-15 D.

I think FL with the right level of investment is definitely in play, the 22 result is a bit of an outlier (it’s like saying PA is solid blue because Shapiro walloped Mastriano), but it would require a lot of effort, a strong state party similar to WI and favourable national environment.

New York Times poll (A+), Sep 21-26

Wisconsin President Harris +2
Michigan President Harris +1
Ohio President Trump +6
Nebraska 2nd President Harris +9

Wisconsin US Senate Baldwin +7
Michigan US Senate Slotkin +4
Ohio US Senate Brown +4

New York Times poll (A+), Sep 21-26

Wisconsin President Harris +2
Michigan President Harris +1
Ohio President Trump +6
Nebraska 2nd President Harris +9

Wisconsin US Senate Baldwin +7
Michigan US Senate Slotkin +4
Ohio US Senate Brown +4

Good numbers for Brown at least, it's crucial he wins his race.

NYT is a bit all over the place this cycle though, find it hard to trust them much.

Last edited:

Trump isn't running away with Florida like I thought he would. There hasn't been many Florida polls but the few I've seen from top rated pollsters only have Harris down a few points. I can see her performing slightly better there than Biden did. The Trump momentum in Florida seems to have slowed down compared to where it was in 2020.