2016 US Presidential Elections | Trump Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just popping my head out of the sand for a bit, is Bernie president yet?

He'll be raising plenty of hell at the convention. And here we were thinking the GOP convention would be fun. Just wait til the Dems take center stage, it will be explosive.

I was talking about endorsing, not becoming a super delegate. People who are super delegates can endorse whoever they want - that is their constitutional right. The Democratic Party as a whole however, shouldn't allow super delegates, but if it does, it should at a minimum not allow them to actually make their superdelegate votes until the convention, AFTER the general public are done voting.
Every nationally elected Democrat is a superdelegate. None have cast their "superdelegate votes" yet, they've just endorsed her publicly. So you have to either stop them doing that, or not.

But they are affecting the perception of the general public by making the claim of who they intend to vote for. This is different than one off individuals like Ted Kennedy saying the support a particular candidate.

So let me get this straight, they can say they endorse candidate X for president, saying how great he/she is, but then say they are not voting for him/her, or are undecided?

It's actually not.

Ancient history now, but back when there's no superdelegates in place, the 'public' chose two uniformly terrible general candidates that the only reason one of them managed to win once before getting shellacked in the next election is because he was up against an incumbent who was never officially elected and bear the albatross of Tricky Dick around his neck.

Again, they are not casting their votes until the convention now :confused:.

Am I misunderstanding you? You believe the superdelegates are good for swaying the nomination if the public attempt to elect candidates that are perceived as poor?

Am I misunderstanding you? You believe the superdelegates are good for swaying the nomination if the public attempt to elect candidates that are perceived as poor?

I'm ambivalent about their actual usefulness, as stated eons back in this thread, since Mondale and Dukakis hardly did better than McGovern. But that's the reasoning from party elites, yes. There's always a danger of ideologues/demagogues hijacking the party which can sink them at the general election and consequently damage them for years. Superdelegates are a firewall collectively against that possibility.

So let me get this straight, they can say they endorse candidate X for president, saying how great he/she is, but then say they are not voting for him/her, or are undecided?

Yes. The party should conceal who superdelegates as a whole intend to vote for during the primaries, since they A- haven't actually voted yet and B- revealing it only allows for the perception as we're seeig this cycle, of the party being in the tank for one candidate before the voters get a chance to have their say and subsequently allowing news organizations like CNN to add unpledged delegates (SuperDelgates) to the delegate totals.

Every nationally elected Democrat is a superdelegate. None have cast their "superdelegate votes" yet, they've just endorsed her publicly. So you have to either stop them doing that, or not.

The party should find a way to do it or else completely do away with the system and stick to good old fashioned Democracy by way of citizens voting for their preferred candidate.

I agree with Raoul here. The superdelegates can sway voters by creating the perceprion that a candidates lead is insurmountable early on, therefore some might think a vote for the other candidate would be a waste. It also influences the perception of a candidates viability.

The party should find a way to do it or else completely do away with the system and stick to good old fashioned Democracy by way of citizens voting for their preferred candidate.
Right, so you think there should be no endorsements after all.

I agree with Raoul here. The superdelegates can sway voters by creating the perceprion that a candidates lead is insurmountable early on, therefore some might think a vote for the other candidate would be a waste. It also influences the perception of a candidates viability.

This is pretty much the crux of the issue.

Yes. The party should conceal who superdelegates as a whole intend to vote for during the primaries, since they A:) haven't actually voted yet and B:) revealing it only allows for the perception as we're seeing this cycle, of the party being in the tank for one candidate before the voters get a chance to have their say and subsequently allowing news organizations like CNN to add unpledged delegates (SuperDelgates) to the delegate totals.

Well, you can believe that's feasible, but it's not gonna fly.

Scrapping the system altogether is a logical outcome from your reasoning, with the risk of sinking yourselves like the Dems did in the 70s/80s, or the GOP about to with Trump. This 'endorsing but not show who I'm going to vote for' can't fool a toddler, I'm afraid.

Right, so you think there should be no endorsements after all.

Individuals may endorse, but the party should make it known (as should the media) that endorsements don't guarantee superdelegate votes since they can change their minds, and that actual votes won't take place until the convention - as opposed to now when the media are blatantly adding superdelegates into the delegate totals as if its a done deal, which tends to skew voter perception of what is actually going on.

Well, you can believe that's feasible, but it's not gonna fly.

Scrapping the system altogether is a logical outcome from your reasoning, with the risk of sinking yourselves like the Dems did in the 70s/80s, or the GOP about to with Trump. This 'endorsing but not show who I'm going to vote for' can't fool a toddler, I'm afraid.

The system is pretty ridiculous and should be scrapped all together - it's basically just elites deciding who gets to be the nominee, so effectively any candidate who is deemed in sync with the party establishment, can stack the odds in their favor by recruiting agreeable party elites to become superdelegates for them. In this case you have the perfect storm of the Clinton apparatus, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and a cabal of insiders like Donna Brazile, Maria Cardona, and their ilk, who are herding everything towards Hillary.

The system is pretty ridiculous and should be scrapped all together - it's basically just elites deciding who gets to be the nominee, so effectively any candidate who is deemed in sync with the party establishment, can stack the odds in their favor by recruiting agreeable party elites to become superdelegates for them. In this case you have the perfect storm of the Clinton apparatus, Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and a cabal of insiders like Donna Brazile, Maria Cardona, and their ilk, who are herding everything towards Hillary.

Err... you do know that superdelegates, aka Ex Officio - 'by virtue of their office', must be elected office holders or past Prez, VPs etc right? For example, Hillary is not a super now because she's not holding office. So how can anyone just 'recruit agreeable party elites to become superdelegates for them'?

If you believe in scrapping them, fine, but this is getting in the realm of conspiracy theories. Any candidate that do become the nominee or President will by default be the party leader, so he/she, some could argue, should showcase the ability to persuade and corral other prominent party members to their support.

My preference would be to keep them in place, but decrease the portion of the vote to about 10% and include life long progressives that aren't office holders but are prominent in various progressive movements.

I'm ambivalent about their actual usefulness, as stated eons back in this thread, since Mondale and Dukakis hardly did better than McGovern. But that's the reasoning from party elites, yes. There's always a danger of ideologues/demagogues hijacking the party which can sink them at the general election and consequently damage them for years. Superdelegates are a firewall collectively against that possibility.

The argument makes sense from a party perspective, I guess I'm a bit tired of party politics in general. So my point would be, while superdelegates are effective for the democratic party, do they effectively represent the people of the US? Are they helping or hurting our democratic process? The whole my team vs your team is taking attention away from very important issues and allows for mechanisms such as superdelegate voting that allows party elites to greatly influence the nomination if not outright decide it.

Err... you do know that superdelegates, aka Ex Officio - 'by virtue of their office', must be elected office holders or past Prez, VPs etc right? For example, Hillary is not a super now because she's not holding office. So how can anyone just 'recruit agreeable party elites to become superdelegates for them'?

If you believe in scrapping them, fine, but this is getting in the realm of conspiracy theories. Any candidate that do become the nominee or President will by default be the party leader, so he/she, some could argue, should showcase the ability to persuade and corral other prominent party members to their support.

My preference would be to keep them in place, but decrease the portion of the vote to about 10% and include life long progressives that aren't office holders but are prominent in various progressive movements.

And yet there are people on the list who don't meet your own criteria. I wonder how on earth that happened.

And yet there are people on the list who don't meet your own criteria. I wonder how on earth that happened.

What criteria? Fact of the matter is you cant just choose any party member you want and make them a superdelegate, which you seem to think is the case.

What criteria? Fact of the matter is you cant just choose any party member you want and make them a superdelegate, which you seem to think is the case.

The two people i randomly mentioned before are not elected officials. I'm not going to comb through the entire list, but if I can randomly pull two out of a hat, chance are there are more.

@whoever is arguing over this: A large number of superdelegates are unelected: http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/D-Unpledged.phtml

Independent voters won't be deciding between Clinton and Sanders though. They'll be deciding between Clinton and Trump. They will break to Clinton far more than they will to Trump. As for the young voters and anti-Hillary liberals, a Trump presidency should be enough to motivate both of them to vote for Clinton. I realize most of them aren't interested in practicalities since their candidate would be able to accomplish virtually none of his major platform planks, but young voters/#NeverClinton voters should probably realize that protest votes in this election would be meaningless or harmful.

As for his policies being supported, the vast majority of Americans like the parts of Obamacare but they don't like the whole because it's been drummed into them that it's evil. The same goes for background checks for guns and gun control. The general public is depressingly uninformed or misinformed about various policies and their implications. They support numerous things that they routinely vote against. The actual costs involved in Sanders plans, which again won't be implemented because Congress, and other ramifications are much more complex than telling everyone they'll get free healthcare, free college, all the tax burden increase will be on the wealthy, etc. Obamacare is a compromise between what we had before its implementation and universal healthcare, which is virtually impossible to implement. Costs associated with Obamacare will go up, but they go up at a substantially reduced rate from what they were prior to its existence.

About accomplishing his platform I agree with you, a GOP Congress makes almost every single policy impossible (it would be different if this was a wave election with the result of a decent senate majority and parity in the house). Though the president does have some control over foreign policy and that would make him markedly different from Hillary.

Well, I'm not arguing over whether Obamacare has been an actual success - I'm no expert, all I'm saying is that it has been spin-ed and damaged enough that a plurality of voters want it gone even when there's nothing to replace it. So, right now, when single-payer seems popular, would be a good time for a leftwing candidate to run. Btw, this contrasts with limited gun control which despite the best efforts of the NRA always has popular support (but a very flimsy legal basis given the SC's precedents on the 2nd amendment: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...6d35dc-1c49-11e6-8c7b-6931e66333e7_story.html)

The two people i randomly mentioned before are not elected officials. I'm not going to comb through the entire list, but if I can randomly pull two out of a hat, chance are there are more.

Brazil's is a former DNC chair, and Cardona I'd presume is one of the 438 elected members of the DNC.

I'd say you can scrap most of those 438, leaving only the 100 chairs and vice chairs from states Democratic party, and get 100 prominent grassroots activists from progressive groups in. Problem solved.

Individuals may endorse, but the party should make it known (as should the media) that endorsements don't guarantee superdelegate votes since they can change their minds, and that actual votes won't take place until the convention - as opposed to now when the media are blatantly adding superdelegates into the delegate totals as if its a done deal, which tends to skew voter perception of what is actually going on.
You're really splitting hairs now. We've gone from a corrupt Hillary gaming the electorate to it being a messaging problem. The media like to talk about superdelegates because it gives them a further story, as in 2008, if they start abandoning one candidate for the other. They also forget about them when it suits to make the race look close and maintain interest.

The actually useful thing about endorsers during the primaries, rather than just being a statistic that people can look at, is acting as a surrogate to the media, on the stump and when fundraising. Once again, all in accordance with free speech.

He'll be raising plenty of hell at the convention. And here we were thinking the GOP convention would be fun. Just wait til the Dems take center stage, it will be explosive.

I hope so, it has been obvious for a while that we're probably going to have to settle for a Clinton presidency that is slightly more peogressive than Obama's terms. Not the worst thing ever but more of the rich getting richer, probably an unnecessary war thrown in, and a continuation of the status quo with regards to our broken and corrupt political system.

You're really splitting hairs now. We've gone from a corrupt Hillary gaming the electorate to it being a messaging problem. The media like to talk about superdelegates because it gives them a further story, as in 2008, if they start abandoning one candidate for the other. They also forget about them when it suits to make the race look close and maintain interest.

The actually useful thing about endorsers during the primaries, rather than just being a statistic that people can look at, is acting as a surrogate to the media, on the stump and when fundraising. Once again, all in accordance with free speech.

Well yes, when super delegates are used to coercively give one candidate a clear advantage over another, then the entire system needs to be changed. There is too much at stake to allow this sort of disingenuous light cheating to influence public elections. Just get rid of them completely and we should be in good shape.

Brazil's is a former DNC chair, and Cardona I'd presume is one of the 438 elected members of the DNC.

I'd say you can scrap most of those 438, leaving only the 100 chairs and vice chairs from states Democratic party, and get 100 prominent grassroots activists from progressive groups in. Problem solved.

Therein lies the problem. If you have a Democratic power structure that is heavily influenced by the Clintons, then all they have to put their hacks into place as superdelegates, then proceed to pad their vote counts before any voting actually begins. Its deceitful bullshit and needs to stop.

Therein lies the problem. If you have a Democratic power structure that is heavily influenced by the Clintons, then all they have to put their hacks into place as superdelegates, then proceed to pad their vote counts before any voting actually begins. Its deceitful bullshit and needs to stop.

Well if you think so then there's really nothing much to say. Personally, I think it's a red herring that's good to get outraged over but won't bring about any substantial improvement once changed.

The real problem is this

As is the case with Oregon voters not bothered to register their affiliation I posted the other day. People are not voting and it's a case of the egg and the chicken.

Well if you think so then there's really nothing much to say. Personally, I think it's a red herring that's good to get outraged over but won't bring about any substantial improvement once changed.

The real problem is this

As is the case with Oregon voters not bothered to register their affiliation I posted the other day. People are not voting and it's a case of the egg and the chicken.

Why do voters need to have an affiliation to vote for presidential nominees? I get that it is the process of the party but that is the problem. Excluding an entire subset of voters (independents) from deciding who gets to run for president is crazy!

Why do voters need to have an affiliation to vote for presidential nominees? I get that it is the process of the party but that is the problem. Excluding an entire subset of voters (independents) from deciding who gets to run for president is crazy!

Parties are private organisations. If independents want to be involved in shaping a party platform and choosing its standard bearer, registration with that party for free isn't an unreasonable request. I'm all for same day registration for first time voters and a 1-month cut off point for past voters, mind.

Ratfecking is also another problem. In deep red and deep blue states, the risk is too high to have an open primary. You have a congressional district in NYC with like only 1000 Republicans. Imagine what Dems can do to them just for shits and giggles :lol:

The caveat is that primaries are not private events, they are funded and the rules are decided by the respective state governments -- whihc means independents are paying for something they are excluded from.
I'm not advocating one way or the other, I see both sides of this argument as strong.

Semi-closed primaries seem to be optimal.

New PPP poll in Arizona:

GOP voters disapprove of McCain (35-50), but his primary challengers are scattered (he's leading the race at 39%, 2nd is 26%, 27% undecided). I think those numbers are good enough for him, and he also leads the Dem by 6 points (even though he isn't the nominee yet so, again, he should be safe)

Good news on the presidential front: she's close.
Trump Clinton G. Johnson Stein:
40 38 6 2

Trump Clinton
45 41

And the usual way I end all these posts:
Sanders Trump Johnson Stein
42 39 6 2

Sanders Trump
45 44

Parties are private organisations. If independents want to be involved in shaping a party platform and choosing its standard bearer, registration with that party for free isn't an unreasonable request. I'm all for same day registration for first time voters and a 1-month cut off point for past voters, mind.

Ratfecking is also another problem. In deep red and deep blue states, the risk is too high to have an open primary. You have a congressional district in NYC with like only 1000 Republicans. Imagine what Dems can do to them just for shits and giggles :lol:

I get that, I just think it is undemocratic to have a large number of citizens excluded from picking who gets to run for president, hence my earlier comments that the two party system is broken. I'm arguing that the rules of the game are shit not necessarily that those in the game aren't following them.

I get that, I just think it is undemocratic to have a large number of citizens excluded from picking who gets to run for president, hence my earlier comments that the two party system is broken. I'm arguing that the rules of the game are shit not necessarily that those in the game aren't following them.

Oh, no doubt, but the problem is people out of choice or habit either keep voting for said system, or as Barry said, just abstain altogether, which exacerbate the problem. Thing is, politics is a very messy and slow business, and changes happen very slowly and incrementally, especially in American system with all their checks and balances, which at its worst often leads to gridlock. Most people just have neither the appetite nor the patience for that, and nowadays, the knowledge.

One good thing is because of that system, even 12 years of Reagan/Bush didn't completely feck the country forever. The first thing that will bring about any meaningful change, aside from actual full blown violent revolution, is providing people with better education, especially on civics.

https://theintercept.com/2016/05/12...-clinton-trigger-happy-as-she-courts-neocons/

And he expressed a rarely heard appreciation for the “other side to this story,” noting: “Thousands of lives, yes, for us, but probably millions of lives in all fairness, folks” for the people of the Middle East.

Trump implied that casualties inflicted by the U.S. military were far higher than reported. “They bomb a city” and “it’s obliterated, obliterated,” he said. “They’ll say nobody was killed. I’ll bet you thousands and thousands of people were killed every time you see that television set.”

“If we would’ve done nothing,” Trump argued, “we would’ve been in much better shape.”

Of course, Trump is hardly the candidate of peace. Nor is he a credible messenger.

He’s advocated for killing the families of terrorists, endorses torture, and in his tirade against Clinton, he applauded Saddam Hussein for executing people without trial, saying, “He used to kill [terrorists] instantaneously. … They didn’t go through 15 years of a court case.”

And at the Washington state rally, Trump contrasted Clinton’s vote for the war in Iraq with what he claimed was his own opposition. “I voted against it except I was a civilian so nobody cared,” he said. “From the beginning I said it’s gonna destabilize the Middle East and Iran will take over Iraq.”

But as BuzzFeed reported recently, Trump did not oppose the invasion at the time; his support was “totally unambiguous.”

After spending the last several months casting herself as a progressive to compete with Bernie Sanders, Clinton now appears to be recalibrating to appeal to disaffected Republicans.

Clinton’s supporters, for example, are tapping Bush family megadonors for campaign cash.

And the Clinton campaign is proudly boasting a growing list, constantly updated, of establishment Republicans who have either refused to vote for Trump or have openly defected to Clinton.

Neoconservatives feature prominently on this list, including the Daily Caller’s Jamie Weinstein, Washington Post columnist Jennifer Rubin, Iraq war architect Elliott Abrams, and Republican foreign policy adviser Max Boot. (Boot officially endorsed Clinton on Sunday.)

Oh, no doubt, but the problem is people out of choice or habit either keep voting for said system, or as Barry said, just abstain altogether, which exacerbate the problem. Thing is, politics is a very messy and slow business, and changes happen very slowly and incrementally, especially in American system with all their checks and balances, which at its worst often leads to gridlock. Most people just have neither the appetite nor the patience for that, and nowadays, the knowledge.

One good thing is because of that system, even 12 years of Reagan/Bush didn't completely feck the country forever. The first thing that will bring about any meaningful change, aside from actual full blown violent revolution, is providing people with better education, especially on civics.

Very good post. The education portion is paramount but even if people are more educated regarding politics it won't help if the system is rigged, there are a number of factors that make it very difficult to fix the current system ranging from corruption and ineptitude to media bias and lack of education. I don't see any of these complex issues being resolved any time soon barring a violent revolution so I guess we try to make very slow progress torwards a country that emphasizes things like healthcare for all, elimination of poverty, and providing quality education for those capable at a reasonable price (should be free but I'd settle for that :lol:).

Status
Not open for further replies.