1992 - 2024: 15 Greatest Centrebacks of the PL era? (numerical order please)

1. Rio Ferdinand
  2. Nemanja Vidic
  3. John Terry
  4. Jaap Stam
  5. Virgil van Dijk
  6. Vincent Kompany
  7. Sol Campbell
  8. Tony Adams
  9. Gary Pallister
  10. Steve Bruce
  11. Sami Hyypia
  12. Jamie Carragher
  13. Kolo Toure
  14. Ricardo Carvalho
  15. Joleon Lescott

Honorable mentions: Martin Keown, Ledley King and Antonio Rudiger. In a few years we’ll have players like Saliba and (hopefully) Yoro on the list.

1. Rio Ferdinand
  2. Nemanja Vidic
  3. John Terry
  4. Jaap Stam
  5. Virgil van Dijk
  6. Vincent Kompany
  7. Sol Campbell
  8. Tony Adams
  9. Gary Pallister
  10. Steve Bruce
  11. Sami Hyypia
  12. Jamie Carragher
  13. Kolo Toure
  14. Ricardo Carvalho
  15. Joleon Lescott

Honorable mentions: Martin Keown, Ledley King and Antonio Rudiger. In a few years we’ll have players like Saliba and (hopefully) Yoro on the list.
Lescott :lol: he doesn't even make the top 30 for me. Stones is already miles ahead of him.

Almost impossible because some are 30 years apart - but Rio and JT are the best - and I think most former players agree on that.

So

Rio, JT, Campbell, Stam, VVD, Adams, Kompany, Vidic, Hyypia, Pallister, Bruce, Carvalho, King, Carragher, Hendry

1. Vidic
2. Van Dijk
3. Terry
4. Ferdinand
5. Stam
6. Adams
7. Campbell
8. Kompany
9. Carvalho
10. Dias
11. Desailly
12. McGrath
13. Stones
14. Carragher
15. Vertonghen

Mine isn't that far off. I have the same top 8 but in a different order:

1- Vidic
2- Van Dijk/Terry
3- Terry/Van Dijk
4- Stam
5- Campbell
6- Ferdinand/Adams
7- Adams/Ferdinand
8- Company

If Campbell had played for a top side during his prime, I think he'd be remembered as a better defender.

If I am building defence Sol and Stam, then everyone else.
Walker Sol Stam Cole.

That defense would hardly concede a goal. Stam had one of the highest peaks (arguably the highest) of any defender in the Premier league era. The only reason he isn't the clearcut number 1 in these lists is because he didn't last long.

Campbell was as good as anyone in that era. I think he was better than even Adams.

A pairing of Sol Campbell and Jaap Stam would be as good as anything we can put up.

What about 15 worst CB's within the same period?

That defense would hardly concede a goal. Stam had one of the highest peaks (arguably the highest) of any defender in the Premier league era. The only reason he isn't the clearcut number 1 in these lists is because he didn't last long.

Campbell was as good as anyone in that era. I think he was better than even Adams.

A pairing of Sol Campbell and Jaap Stam would be as good as anything we can put up.
Stam is one of the few players were I was sad for letting him go.
Physical beast who was also talented.

Sol, was specimen too. Had to chance to stand beside him and he was build like a tank. Also good footballer. I still remember meltdown from Spurs fans when he left them for. So bonus for. That too.

Can't beat old school nonsense CB's like that.

Just simply is, one made loads and loads of errors that lead to goals and was always injured.
The other was never injured much more consistent and can barley remember any mistakes he made.
Kompany is hugely overrated.
People on a United forum putting Kompany ahead of Vidic is like putting Paul Scholes behind Gundogan or something.
Mine isn't that far off. I have the same top 8 but in a different order:

1- Vidic
2- Van Dijk/Terry
3- Terry/Van Dijk
4- Stam
5- Campbell
6- Ferdinand/Adams
7- Adams/Ferdinand
8- Company

If Campbell had played for a top side during his prime, I think he'd be remembered as a better defender.
I agree on Campbell absolute beast. You could argue he was better than Ferdinand up until 2006. I remember that game he walked off the pitch though for Arsenal, seemed to kinda lose a little around then but even then he was very good for Portsmouth as they overachieved for a few seasons.

I’m glad you have Vidic number 1, someone put him behind Carragher here his placings are a joke.

1. Vidic
2. Van Dijk
3. Terry
4. Ferdinand
5. Stam
6. Adams
7. Campbell
8. Kompany
9. Carvalho
10. Dias
11. Desailly
12. McGrath
13. Stones
14. Carragher
15. Vertonghen
You’re the first to show McGrath some love. PFA player of the year in the first PL season

1. Vidic
2. Rio and Terry
4. Stam
5. Adams
6. Van Dijk
7. Kompany
8. Keown
9. Carvalho
10. King
11. Campbell
12. Desailly
13. Dias
14. Stones
15. Carragher

Last edited:
Stam won a treble holding fort alongside Henning Berg, David May and Ronny Johnsen. People disrespecting him on lists below the likes of Van Dijk and Terry (let alone some of the other spoofers he's been ranked behind) should be banned. He was a one man colossus at the heart of that defence - most great partnerships marry one style of CB with a contrasting style but Stam gave you all the styles in one, giant, glorious concrete slab of a gleaming bald headed mangod.

Terry played beside a top 10 PL defender in Carvalho, as well as guys like Gallas and Desailly. Despite playing in a side full of mega money superstars, he never led Chelsea to a European Cup and League double, let alone a treble. I think he only even did a league and cup double the once. That's because those things are hard to achieve - a proper treble is close to impossible with the strength of the PL. Just look at the money and cheating City have had to invest to get one.

Van Dijk has never won more than one trophy in a season, despite playing for the universes greatest ever manager in it's greatest ever team (if you listen to Sky Sports and much of the English press). His Liverpool side also finished behind the worst Manchester United side in a generation as often as not during his time there. He's a good defender - a very good one even - but the level to which he is overrated is beyond belief.

And anyone listing Kompany, Adams or bloody Campbell ahead of Stam should simply have their rights to a football opinion revoked.

From a Liverpool point of view, Hyppia was an exceptional pure defender and could have easily graced most of the top teams across Europe at the time.

Had injuries not curtailed their careers, I think we'd have seen King and Woodgate high up on these lists.