WSL fantasy league | 20th Sept is first match day

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
@Demon Barber has suggested that we start a Redcafe mini league. Anyone interested in giving it a go? Beginners welcome - that's both fantasy football beginners and women's football beginners :)

For the technology:
WSL Fantasy Football launches the 24/25 season:
https://www.fantasywsl.net
And the RedCafe mini-League
@Demon Barber has created a cafe mini-league for us:
TheCaf-WSL
Code: INQ4MO3

Tagline for the cafe winner!

Last edited:
That sounds good. I tend to lose interest and the motivation when the season goes on but maybe the WSL version could provide the extra motivation.

Thanks @jojojo. Obviously I'll be playing it and will try to set up a mini-league when it goes live.

The WSL version is in no way linked to the Fantasy Premier League competition. It was set up a couple of years ago by some guys and girls in the UK. Apparently there are some incentives to pick lesser known players so the focus isn't just on the 'stars.'

I'm interested but I'll be rubbish at it because I'm really bad at remembering the names of players and how they played (including the ones I've watched playing against us). I've also got a ratings blind spot about certain positions - I only really notice central defenders if they do something stupid for example .

I packed in the men's version hundreds of years ago. The last straw was catching myself hoping Liverpool would keep a clean sheet because I had put Stig Bjornebye on my team at fullback because he was cheap and he was taking a lot of their corners :eek:

I will give it a try though - maybe it'll encourage me to spot next summer's Elisabeth Terland.

Last time I did fantasy football, was the 12/13 season... Captained Robin van Persie in the first week, forgot about updating anything and wound up winning my mates mini-league. Quite on a high!

I've tried once or twice since then, but just can't get the motivation to keep going. Will watch this thread though, love to see discussion about opposition players!

I already spend far too much time on FPL so not sure I'd have time for another

I think you could probably get some extra players by putting a post in the main FPL thread when this game goes live though

We (family) played on this app last year. It's good - there are pretty tight budget limits and you could only have 3 players from one team. The app is clear - a few bugs last year bug I imagine they are sorted out now. Would recommend!

We (family) played on this app last year. It's good - there are pretty tight budget limits and you could only have 3 players from one team. The app is clear - a few bugs last year bug I imagine they are sorted out now. Would recommend!
The new version is up and running now. There were a few glitches earlier in the day but all seems to be working now.

Mini-League is sorted, for those who are interested.

TheCaf-WSL

Code: INQ4MO3

I already spend far too much time on FPL so not sure I'd have time for another

I think you could probably get some extra players by putting a post in the main FPL thread when this game goes live though
I think I'll be coming bottom of this mini-League. If it was a do a bit of maths, spin the wheel, pick a team and forget league maybe I'd be in with a shout. The idea of maintenance and updating is kind of beyond me :lol:

Still, I will give it a go. Someone's got to be bottom of the League.

I’ll have a go. I’m terrible at fantasy football but one day I might do well accidentally

I know this whole thing was my suggestion, but I'm rubbish at it too. From the posts so far it looks like a race to finish bottom!

I know this whole thing was my suggestion, but I'm rubbish at it too. From the posts so far it looks like a race to finish bottom!
Maybe that's how we should market the concept - "a chance for people who never feel like they've got a chance of winning one of the Cafe games to win something (because your opponents are rubbish at it)" :lol:

"Roll up, roll up ... for those who never win anything, don't miss out on the chance to beat your fellow no-hopers."

Demon, Top1, Flexo, Scanny and jojojo are in so far. The App seems to be playing up a bit, but I'm sure it will settle.

"Roll up, roll up ... for those who never win anything, don't miss out on the chance to beat your fellow no-hopers."

Demon, Top1, Flexo, Scanny and jojojo are in so far. The App seems to be playing up a bit, but I'm sure it will settle.
Yes, it seemed a bit flaky yesterday and some settings and features are hard to find but it does seem to work. Am I missing something or does it insist on emailing a login code every time?

I think inevitably it's designed for people who know a bit about how the online FF leagues work - but as I last played FF in the Jurassic era that didn't really help me. So I kept stumbling across mystery items like "wall" as a bonus option. I didn't find the how it works/what the jargon means page until after I had assembled a squad. I also had to press every link at random to find the add a League option...

Got to start somewhere though.

Yes, it seemed a bit flaky yesterday and some settings and features are hard to find but it does seem to work. Am I missing something or does it insist on emailing a login code every time?

I think inevitably it's designed for people who know a bit about how the online FF leagues work - but as I last played FF in the Jurassic era that didn't really help me. So I kept stumbling across mystery items like "wall" as a bonus option. I didn't find the how it works/what the jargon means page until after I had assembled a squad. I also had to press every link at random to find the add a League option...

Got to start somewhere though.
Hmm... I don't need a new login code every time. You have unlimited free transfers I think, until the first match starts - I hope so, because I selected 4 players then auto-selected the rest.

"The Wall" is an interesting option. Play it once when you think your defence/keeper will not concede.

I'm still getting to grips with it.

You have unlimited free transfers I think, until the first match starts - I hope so, because I selected 4 players then auto-selected the rest.
Yep, and then each week you have (I think) two or three transfers for free. The cut off time is an hour or so before the first kick off time each week.

I'm in with The Phallon D'Or ! Will try to pay more attention to this than I traditionally do with FPL!!

For anyone looking for initial inspiration on what to do with their big-player money:

I'm in with The Phallon D'Or ! Will try to pay more attention to this than I traditionally do with FPL!!
Good to see you join in.

I used my full allowance of United players when I created my squad - novice error I admit - potential double whammy if we have a bad day! But I have got Phallon as one of my squad and if she plays I reckon she'll be a bargain at £4m.

I have four of those popular players, but have not made squad adjustments yet.

Welcome, Amarillo. Good team name - as long as you have PTJ!

@FlexoRodriguez - you have played this before, so you are the expert. How the hell do I change my captain??? Help!

@FlexoRodriguez - you have played this before, so you are the expert. How the hell do I change my captain??? Help!

Of course I have PTJ I did include Keating as an emergency back up goalie mind!

Just seen this -
Go to Formation
Tap the player you want to be captain
To the right of ‘Swap’ are two armbands - C and V. Just tap the one you want for that player :)

A little added feature for the serious fantasy manager - bonus points for using new talent and players from unfancied teams. The idea is to encourage people to look deeper than the top four teams when they go shopping.

Hmmm. Does using United players count as using players from 'unfancied teams' I wonder?

Hmmm. Does using United players count as using players from 'unfancied teams' I wonder?
Harsh :lol: Let me keep my happy pre-season blind optimism a little while longer.

Apparently the "visionary" bonus points players may change from week to week as an undiscovered talent becomes a discovered one or a team steps up a gear.

In terms of United I don't know if we'll have any in the category - maybe someone like Emma Watson might appear on the list at some point.

Harsh :lol: Let me keep my happy pre-season blind optimism a little while longer.

Apparently the "visionary" bonus points players may change from week to week as an undiscovered talent becomes a discovered one or a team steps up a gear.

In terms of United I don't know if we'll have any in the category - maybe someone like Emma Watson might appear on the list at some point.
I have a few players in my squad I have never heard of. That's 'visionary'! The problem is, they will do so well in GW1 that they will be snapped up by other managers and exceed the 2% threshold for GW2

Anyway, our Caf league now stands at 7. Team Roboklopp has joined. I'd still like a few more in there though.

Edit: I do like the visionary feature though.

The first match of the WSL season kicks off at 7pm on Friday 20th September - Chelsea v Villa

The transfer deadline for game week 1 is 5pm on the 20th

Nine in the league now. That's healthy. Another three and it will be a competitive race to the bottom.

I will see in I can get my daughter to sign up to it. And tbf, see if she can get a log in here.

No idea either. Anyway, she is in the mini-league, so that's 11 in total. I'm sure a few more could be tempted before the deadline.

Tinkering with my team is proving difficult. Who knows who is going to start? United is anyone's guess - Chelsea goalkeeper is hit and miss - Arsenal have a glut of forwards. City are away at Arsenal. Decisions, decisions ... ...

No idea either. Anyway, she is in the mini-league, so that's 11 in total. I'm sure a few more could be tempted before the deadline.

Tinkering with my team is proving difficult. Who knows who is going to start? United is anyone's guess - Chelsea goalkeeper is hit and miss - Arsenal have a glut of forwards. City are away at Arsenal. Decisions, decisions ... ...
I have no idea, but have avoided any city & Arsenal defenders as one of them is bound to score, if not both. Maybe. It’ll be 0-0 now…

Just to mention...

Shaw 12.5m
Russo 12m
Hemp 12m
Terland 10.5
Charles 8.5m

Last edited:
Grrr ... I had Sophie Ingle in my Fantasy team, but she is yet another ACL victim. I know this discussion has been done to death, and I keep reading articles on the causes, but something seriously needs to be done. I wish her a speedy recovery.