Wot a signing? - Summer 2024 edition | Most successful jinx thread 2024

Prioritising a left-footed CB and right winger over midfielders would be ridiculous but very typical of this club.
It will be even more typical when we buy natural left back for CB position and (of course, like we did many times) left winger for right wing position.

It never fails to amaze me that every off season people present fever dream fantasy overhauls as a plausible transfer window. They spend time working out the figures and everything.

Yeah, something like 10 out and 8 in with a net spend of 100 million should be easily achievable. We normally struggle to sell even one player for good money, not to mention finding a suitable club because of the wages.

Either way, I'm not fussed about the transfer window anymore. I thought we had a good transfer window last year, but it didn't turn out well.

Yeah, something like 10 out and 8 in with a net spend of 100 million should be easily achievable. We normally struggle to sell even one player for good money, not to mention finding a suitable club because of the wages.

Either way, I'm not fussed about the transfer window anymore. I thought we had a good transfer window last year, but it didn't turn out well.

I am quite fussed personally.

People can talk about the manager all they want but if we go into next season with that backline and midfield we'll struggle regardless.

We desperately need at least one CB and MF if not two in each position.

I am quite fussed personally.

People can talk about the manager all they want but if we go into next season with that backline and midfield we'll struggle regardless.

We desperately need at least one CB and MF if not two in each position.
Yeah, there are obviously much-needed reinforcements, but I've given up on the major overhaul or wishing for player X to join.

Watching the Hungary Switzerland game and they just mentioned a player United (and Chelsea) were interested in but I didn't quite catch it. Any know?

This will be loooong summer. Lots of signings depend on selling. Only two players who don't depend on selling are striker and defender. Those two are absolute must sign no matter what.

I am waiting on rumours about strikers.
Toney in specific

I don't see why this wouldnt be possible in this transfer window;

Release: (save a tonne in wages)
Varane
Martial
Evans
Eriksen
Williams

Sell:
Maguire £25-30m
Lindelof £15m
AWB: £15m
Shaw: £25m
van de Beek £5m
Casimero £35-40m
Greenwood £35m
Sancho £40m
Hannibal £10m

Total: £195 - 200m

Buy:
Frimpong £50m
Yoro £50m
Inacio 45m
Kerkez £35m
Neves £65 + 10m addons
Ricci £35m
Olise £55 + 5m addons
Jonathan David £50m

Total: £385m + 15m addons

We get rid of 13 players and bring in 8. (out of those 13, 4 didnt play for us this season apart from Sancho for a few games)

Thats a net spend of about £185m, which should be within our spending limits considering just 4 of those players we get rid of would save us about £1m a week in wages. With Olise coming in, I'd even sell Antony but have left him off the list as I really cant see any buyers or the new owners willing to take such a huge hit.

Also consider that the £385m doesn't all have to be paid at once, it would be spread over several years. Helping keep within FFP.

I might be over simplifying this and the values ofcourse wont be exact, but genuinly feel this is achievable.

You've got it all figured out, haven't you?

It never fails to amaze me that every off season people present fever dream fantasy overhauls as a plausible transfer window. They spend time working out the figures and everything.
That’s just it they don’t understand the figures it’s not just amortised transfer fees that must be deliberated over but annual wages as well and any new player true cost is their transfer fee amortised over the length of the contract and the agreed wages to be paid annually over the length of that said contract. Qualifying for Europe means you have to adhere to the 80% Squad Ratio Rule this year.

To someone with a better knowledge of FFP/PSR

If United have X amount that they can still spend this month before the new FFP year starts, does that carry over to July and beyond?

Or is it a case of use it or lose it?

Yawn

The level of incompetence is apparent in us having not sold anybody, more so than not having bought anybody, the latter of which you can blame on FFP/SPR. Very disappointing, because we know we have a lot of deadwood to be moved and nothing is done about it, with any sense of urgency

To sell you need a buyer that can afford the wages and the fee. It also has to be a club the player wouldn't mind playing for.

As we saw with McTominay and maguire last summer, they ultimately decided not to join West ham. Nothing the club can do about that.

Don't attribute the incompetence of those who went before who gave those players the wages and contracts they were on, to the new owners.

People need to be realistic about the ffp /psr situation. If we can't sell then we have to take the long route of letting contracts run down. In the short term, this means we won't be buying many players in order to be in a better position going forward.

I don't think many of our fans will understand this and will accuse Ineos of being tight when it's not the case.

Unlike the Woodward era, we won’t hear much of anything about the size of our transfer budget thru the press. It seems that for the most part, we’re operating more discreetly, so the first signing may be a surprise.

Yeah, there are obviously much-needed reinforcements, but I've given up on the major overhaul or wishing for player X to join.

Yes, INEOS haven't exactly 'hit the ground running' ....
I really thought that this Summer they would want to make a bold statement, but so far it's been quite low key.
Its still early days though, hopefully we don't repeat the same old bad habits... :rolleyes:

Yes, INEOS haven't exactly 'hit the ground running' ....
I really thought that this Summer they would want to make a bold statement, but so far it's been quite low key.
Its still early days though, hopefully we don't repeat the same old bad habits... :rolleyes:

I'm getting a bit annoyed too. I don't know if the problem is that we have to sell players first and can't find buyers because of their wages (which wouldn't be INEOS's fault), but seeing clubs like Chelsea doing what they want, when they want, is frustrating.

I try to remain hopeful that they are quietly working on the right targets in the background without the constant leaks like in the last couple of years.

But that's just me being naive, because everything we read seems to suggest otherwise.

Doubt very much that we will get any decent buys in before the season starts. Too many overpaid players on the books and not of very high quality so difficult to move on. Lots of media talk about players being sold and bids made for players but not a lot of action. Hold on tight this season, it could get very untidy for us.

Yawn

The level of incompetence is apparent in us having not sold anybody, more so than not having bought anybody, the latter of which you can blame on FFP/SPR. Very disappointing, because we know we have a lot of deadwood to be moved and nothing is done about it, with any sense of urgency
It's always slow during WC or Euros though, hardly like other clubs are going mental is it?

https://www.premierleague.com/transfers

As fans we are always giving out mixed messages:

1) we always get rinsed when buying players - Why are we not offering what they ask
2) we always announce players we are after - why arent we hearing about potential signings
3) we must bring in 4/5 players - we shouldnt be going after average players

as we have already seen with Branthwaite with our past spending clubs will think they can continue to bump up prices. If we want to change that vision of us overspending we may have to accept this year is going to be hard to buy players, teams will assume that if they hold out we will eventually give in like we have every year. This is why i think we will try and get a defender done early, but we may not see any other signing this year, as we reset expectations of getting our asses ripped.

Fair enough, but we have a bunch of players we need to sell that are not at Euros (Greendwood, Sancho, Maguire, Casemiro, AWB etc.), not sure what them not selling has anything to do with Euros?
When you say 'need' to sell:

Greenwood - yes but I assume you agree incredibly complex sale, clubs will think they can get him for nothing, we will want a decent fee, he will also want pretty good wages...that one will rumble on I think.
Sancho - yes but it's clear we are ready to jettison him and take a big loss, there just seems to be little real interest. I can see him ending up on another loan.
Maguire - not sure we 'need' to sell him. Think we'll simply be open to bids.
Casemiro - I think we want to sell him but unless Saudi come in we are stuck with him, likely he remains here next year.
AWB - don't think we're actively trying to sell him but open to bids.
I'd add Donny as one we need to sell, I think we'll release him to be honest if a team wants him.

The whole market doesn't seem that active when there's a big tournament on, even looking at small teams in the link I sent you it's not like they're going crazy with signings and sales. Will kick off in a couple of weeks I think.

All the players we want to sell are Bournemouth level players with Real Madrid level wages.

We won't sell any of them bar perhaps, Casemiro and McTominay

I'm still on track for July 4. I'm expecting a very bleak summer. I think we'll be waiting as long as possible for an increase in offers for both Sancho and Greenwood and i bet only one will be sold due to lack of bids/price.

Wasn’t sure where to post this. But how are Newcastle and Chelsea selling players who have barely played a Premier league game for decent money and we are struggling to sell Sancho , Lindelof, Maguire etc who are experienced players. Also heard we might be selling Pellestri for £5 million thats criminal. Guy is a starter for Uruguay national team. We are so bad at transfers since Gill left.

Last edited:
Wasn’t sure where to post this. But how are Newcastle and Chelsea selling players who have barely played a Premier league game and we are struggling to sell Sancho , Lindelof, Maguire etc who are experienced players. Also heard we might be selling Pellestri for £5 million thats criminal. Guy is a starter for Uruguay national team

As good a place as any to post it, seeing as we still haven't signed anyone, in or out.

When I make this point, a load of people pipe up that such and such random player is actually a World beater who's worth every penny of the £35M Chelsea/Newcastle are getting for him.

By the same metric, Pellestri should be worth the same £30/35M. Lindelof is a decent PL defender (yes he is @golden_blunder ) and lower half teams should be lining up to sign him, same with Maguire, although his salary/compensation is an issue. Sancho, meh, but he's still young and should be worth £30M too. Greenwood is genuinely a top talent (also a top cnut, unfortunately) and there a half a dozen teams in for him at a bargain price.

Yawn

A club cannot sell players if there is no buyer.

Also the club has just got Varane and Martial off the books, that is a start at least.

There is still 64 days left of the transfer window, a lot can and will happen between now and then.

As good a place as any to post it, seeing as we still haven't signed anyone, in or out.

When I make this point, a load of people pipe up that such and such random player is actually a World beater who's worth every penny of the £35M Chelsea/Newcastle are getting for him.

By the same metric, Pellestri should be worth the same £30/35M. Lindelof is a decent PL defender (yes he is @golden_blunder ) and lower half teams should be lining up to sign him, same with Maguire, although his salary/compensation is an issue. Sancho, meh, but he's still young and should be worth £30M too. Greenwood is genuinely a top talent (also a top cnut, unfortunately) and there a half a dozen teams in for him at a bargain price.

The club sold Elanga for £15m because he was on a low and very reasonable wage already for his status due to being an academy player.

Every player the club has on the books that was bought, was put on an astronomical wage that other clubs can't or don't want to match or increase that wage when signing them.

The club sold Elanga for £15m because he was on a low and very reasonable wage already for his status due to being an academy player.

Every player the club has on the books that was bought, was put on an astronomical wage that other clubs can't or don't want to match or increase that wage when signing them.

Maguire and Sancho I agree, but less so in the cases of Greenwood, AWB and Lindelof and Pellestri.

£15M for Elanga was a steal and what did we get for the one who just had a really good season at Fulham (name escapes at the moment :o ), hardly anything?

Maguire and Sancho I agree, but less so in the cases of Greenwood, AWB and Lindelof and Pellestri.

£15M for Elanga was a steal and what did we get for the one who just had a really good season at Fulham (name escapes at the moment :o ), hardly anything?

Greenwood not having any buyer yet is understandable with the baggage he has.

AWB is on £100k per week, I doubt many clubs would want to pay that or more for a limited right back. I am not that sure the club is actively trying to sell him anyway as he fits the homegrown quota.

Lindelof is on £170k per week. No club will pay anything close to that for an average 29 year old player.

Pellestri just doesn't have any decent output as an attacker, so I can understand why there are no potential buyers.

The Fulham player is Pereira. We sold him for £10m. He was 26 when we sold him, he is 28 now. He never really showed much on his loans to warrant a high fee unfortunately. The talent was always there and he only started to realise that potential when he moved on and started knuckling down. Also bearing in mind at 26 with not really showing anything great by that age, it is hard to see a player start performing to a good level going forward if he hasn't already done so by that age.

But £10m for an academy player is still better than nothing.

If Elliott Anderson is £35 Million and the lad Ipswich signed from Chelsea Hutchinson is going for £21 millionZ We should be getting £60 million for Sancho and same with Greeenwood. 100 agree with you both Maguire , Lindelof both walk into a lot of teams lower down the table. Baffling how we get such crap fees. Elanaga another example only £15 million, Yet Forrest are now paying double that for Anderson who is not got the ceiling Elanga has.

Greenwood not having any buyer yet is understandable with the baggage he has.

AWB is on £100k per week, I doubt many clubs would want to pay that or more for a limited right back. I am not that sure the club is actively trying to sell him anyway as he fits the homegrown quota.

Lindelof is on £170k per week. No club will pay anything close to that for an average 29 year old player.

Pellestri just doesn't have any decent output as an attacker, so I can understand why there are no potential buyers.

The Fulham player is Pereira. We sold him for £10m. He was 26 when we sold him, he is 28 now. He never really showed much on his loans to warrant a high fee unfortunately. The talent was always there and he only started to realise that potential when he moved on and started knuckling down. Also bearing in mind at 26 with not really showing anything great by that age, it is hard to see a player start performing to a good level going forward if he hasn't already done so by that age.

But £10m for an academy player is still better than nothing.

Lindelöf is on 120k, AWB on 90k