Wot a signing? - Summer 2024 edition | Most successful jinx thread 2024

I'm actually calm about it as I'm confident we are doing lots of work behind the scenes for a change, whereas if the Glazers were still running things I'd be in meltdown that we haven't signed anyone yet.

It is refreshing that we skipped a phase of "monitoring" and "preparing a bid" and went straight to bidding part.
De Ligt, Yoro, Zirkzee and Ugarte would be excellent summer. Only selling is still an issue. But i didn't expect that that part will be easy anyway.

Because players rarely ever leave a club for less wages especially in their prime years.

Why would they leave a club like United for a lesser club? What incentive do they have other than more money.

As a player I would look at it like this, I am currently at Manchester United, what reason do I want to go to a lesser club, what can that club offer me.

A lesser club needs to offer a higher wage to persuade a player to join them.

It is exactly the same reason why when United are signing players like Varane and Casemiro, or Schweinsteiger from Bayern. United was a step down for them so they demanded more money.

I just watched the clip where Micah Richards told the story about how he turned down a 5 and a half year contract worth £100k/week from City because he was 2nd choice behind Zabaleta. He wanted to play football, not sit on the bench collecting a paycheck. It's easy to be cynical when it comes to footballers and money but I reckon most of them would rather play regularly for less money than to sit on the bench/in the stands, especially when the team isn't doing that well.

The Varane, Casemiro, Schweinsteiger comparisons doesn't really play either as they were all superstars, having been key figures in teams that won everything and were therefor in a completely different position when it came to negotiating wages. They also went to United, the club with the most overblown wage structure on the planet.

Considering how accurate the Zirkzee reporting was. I'd imagine De ligt should be next, and Yoro is all down to his preference, we have agreed terms with lille.

The professionalism, playing clubs against each other, getting deals done in the 30-50 mill range which improve our squad.

Whom would've thought that basic competence was so refreshing?

After all the initial excitement, nothing concrete seems to be going on for the last week or so.

De Ligt gone quiet, Ugarte gone quiet, sales gone quiet.
I feel like we need to insert some of clause into some players contracts dictating that if we want to sell you’re going. Put it in 0.0001 size font if needed.

I feel like we need to insert some of clause into some players contracts dictating that if we want to sell you’re going. Put it in 0.0001 size font if needed.
That clause is really just “reasonably better wages than other clubs”. If we didn’t overpay contracts with stupid money, we wouldn’t have problems moving on a lot of players.

Seems pretty clear we are trying to move on players before committing to another deal.

What's annoying is that one of Maguire/Lindelof hasn't been sold.
Not sure they want to sell Maguire. He’s our best back-up to Licha & Yoro and likely to get plenty of games. A second CB signing has gone quiet lately, probably due to the fact we’ve got Yoro in already and the focus is now on DM and LB. If we solve those problems and still have money available then we probably go for another CB - but we are not going to fix all our problems in one window. If we get DM and LB sorted it will still be a good window imo.

Gone very quiet hasn't it. Nothing seems even remotely close

With only Zirkzee (never heard of him) and Yoro (doesn't count as he'll be injured all season) in, and our best defender last season out, it's difficult to see where we improve on 8th.

There has been a general trend this summer across europe of clubs tightening up and spending more wisely. The only major moves thus far have been Mbappe and Yoro, otherwise big clubs seem to be backing away from the massive fee demands. Take PSG for Neves as an example, a few years ago the release clause would’ve been paid outright. This imo is a good trend. The blue scouse pricks’ demand for Brainthwaite is ridiculous and incredibly shortsighted as it further inflates an already inflated market. It seems that the clubs are collectively trying to cool the market and bring transfer fees down, which have been out of hand for the last several years. Could be a few painful summers until the market corrects itself and we get back to more reasonable transfer fees.

Gone very quiet hasn't it. Nothing seems even remotely close

With only Zirkzee (never heard of him) and Yoro (doesn't count as he'll be injured all season) in, and our best defender last season out, it's difficult to see where we improve on 8th.

You’re joking right? It might help this season if we’re not reduced to a single CB due to injuries. We’re most definitely improving on 8th and will finish top 4.

You’re joking right? It might help this season if we’re not reduced to a single CB due to injuries. We’re most definitely improving on 8th and will finish top 4.
I don't think top 4 is a realistic target.

We may finish higher than 8th yes. But I don't see where that massive improvement is coming from unless someone like Garnacho suddenly develops a bit more and becomes unplayable.

momentum has def ground to a halt. Midfield is still so bare for a full season worth of games, and now thanks to the yoro injury our backline isnt even better than last season. If things dont get sorted before end of window think we could be in for another rough season.

Im not impressed with Ineos in the market but its the first summer so…. I guess lets see how it goes.

Still failing to shift deadwood and again we are about to start the season leaving the manager short of options in defence after the craziness of last season.

We let 2 CBs leave and have brought 1 in. Not smart at all. And before anyone talks about money and transfer funds being a constraint. Ineos were supposed to inject funds to help here.

I think they have done a great job with the coaching and off pitch additions. However the transfer window again is an issue

Im not impressed with Ineos in the market but its the first summer so…. I guess lets see how it goes.

Still failing to shift deadwood and again we are about to start the season leaving the manager short of options in defence after the craziness of last season.

We let 2 CBs leave and have brought 1 in. Not smart at all. And before anyone talks about money and transfer funds being a constraint. Ineos were supposed to inject funds to help here.

I think they have done a great job with the coaching and off pitch additions. However the transfer window again is an issue

So it's there fault they could put on ridiculously high wages and dumb ass contracts, no it's not

So it's there fault they could put on ridiculously high wages and dumb ass contracts, no it's not.

No one said it was. We a few have players on wages which are not high or dumb and plenty with a year left on their deals which are still at the club and are not good enough.

I understand Casemiro, Sancho and Antony. Not AWB, McT, Lindelof

They sold Kabawala and let Varane go and replaced them with one player so far.

The season starts in 2 weeks or so and the squad is short. Thats on them

No one said it was. We a few have players on wages which are not high or dumb and plenty with a year left on their deals which are still at the club and are not good enough.

I understand Casemiro, Sancho and Antony. Not AWB, McT, Lindelof

They sold Kabawala and let Varane go and replaced them with one player so far.

The season starts in 2 weeks or so and the squad is short. Thats on them

So what should we sell AWB, McTominay and Lindelof for then in total, we are clearly trying to shift them but not being offered enough

So what should we sell AWB, McTominay and Lindelof for then in total, we are clearly trying to shift them but not being offered enough
Yes. We should sell all three of them for £2.75 so that he can moan about us selling players too cheaply. He moans about us not shifting deadwood in a summer we've binned off two incredibly expensive always injured footballers, sold off a couple of young players for £15m with buybacks and future % deals, finally got Van De Beek off the wage bill and brought in £30m plus a massive future sell on for a fecking rapist. Plus it seems likely we'll bring in £50m or so for McTominay and Wan Bissaka over the next couple of weeks, who are two of the three players he is moaning about us not selling yet ffs.

Liverpool haven’t signed anyone, Man City haven’t signed anyone, Arsenal have triggered Raya’s buy option.
City have got the brasilian winger savinho from girona (part of city group). Also they have the Argentine River Plate no10 coming in January, though he may go straight back out on loan.

The Athletic did a Sensible Transfers piece for city yesterday and said outside of the two guys already mentioned there wouldn't be any new siginings unless Bernardo Silva or Debryne left.

If you read my post you would notice a criticism is Ineos not injecting funds to help with transfers. We have to take one off hits on past mistakes else we will not get out of trouble for a while.

Yes. We should sell all three of them for £2.75 so that he can moan about us selling players too cheaply. He moans about us not shifting deadwood in a summer we've binned off two incredibly expensive always injured footballers, sold off a couple of young players for £15m with buybacks and future % deals, finally got Van De Beek off the wage bill and brought in £30m plus a massive future sell on for a fecking rapist. Plus it seems likely we'll bring in £50m or so for McTominay and Wan Bissaka over the next couple of weeks, who are two of the three players he is moaning about us not selling yet ffs.

This summer is not much different from last
The season is about to start and we are again short. Its as simple as that

By 1st August last year we had binned off a very expensive goalkeeper and sold Elanga and Telles for a combined £19m. So we've already brought in more than double in fees, and skimmed considerably more off the wage bill, than we had at this stage last year.

McT/AWB/Lindelof hold the key to any progress. But we also seem to be haggling over their potential fees even though we really need them out. I guess we still have an entire month to go, but the start was decent and now gone to shit with injuries effectively killing any progress.

momentum has def ground to a halt. Midfield is still so bare for a full season worth of games, and now thanks to the yoro injury our backline isnt even better than last season. If things dont get sorted before end of window think we could be in for another rough season.
I think getting a midfielder in before the Fulham game is very important personally. Especially if McTominay leaves before then.

If the midfield is exposed against them even just a couple of times, the selling clubs of the midfielders we want will recognise how importantly we need one and it'll be harder to get it over the line.

By 1st August last year we had binned off a very expensive goalkeeper and sold Elanga and Telles for a combined £19m. So we've already brought in more than double in fees, and skimmed considerably more off the wage bill, than we had at this stage last year.
Yet you are ignoring the point about the additions and the squad needs. Need I say last year was also a failed season due to the squad issues not adequately being addressed. Same again this summer so far (key words being so far)

Look at the trends this summer. No big club is spending enormous amounts; most clubs are trying to sell before buying; and no club wants to get rinsed and pay over inflated fees. There are financial realities that most clubs are facing this summer and I do believe it is a strategic approach to slow down the market, which has gone completely out of hand the last several years. The hope would be that transfer fees stop trending upwards.

United moving forward can no longer cave into unrealistic demands like the one from the blue scouse pricks for Brainthwaite. It’s clear we’re in for multiple players, but if it takes longer because clubs like Bayern and PSG are being unrealistic, so be it. Undoing the damage of the Woodward and Murtough eras is going to take several years.

Yet you are ignoring the point about the additions and the squad needs. Need I say last year was also a failed season due to the squad issues not adequately being addressed. Same again this summer so far (key words being so far)
I'm not ignoring anything, I directly responded to the other poster about you crying about us not moving players on quickly enough. You then responded saying that this summer has been similar to last season, I showed you that it isn't. You now want to broaden the scope to include incomings, which will no doubt swiftly follow the sales. Chill out.

Unless some major things happen in the next few weeks, this'll wind up yet another extremely underwhelming summer window.

What could salvage this window: de Ligt, Dumfries, Ugarte, Rabiot, and Toney.

Needs to escalate this week when they’re back from USA, and before the season starts.

When we play a couple of games this season and are shite again, we’re going to have to pay more because our fragility will be obvious

Needs to escalate this week when they’re back from USA, and before the season starts.

When we play a couple of games this season and are shite again, we’re going to have to pay more because our fragility will be obvious

Same every season and the same people defend it whilst keeping it in their pocket for later to defend the manager.

We've done well to shift some deadwood but it's not directly something that translates to on the pitch performances.

I'm impressed by Yoro and Zirkzee signings but we need a midfield signing in for the start of the season. We've got Fulham, Brighton, Liverpool to start with and we can't afford a bad start.

They need to take the loss and sell Antony, and with the money he brings in go and get in a striker, it's getting ridiculous how they aren't seeing that.

They need to take the loss and sell Antony, and with the money he brings in go and get in a striker, it's getting ridiculous how they aren't seeing that.

No one will pay more than 15M for him right now and he's on 200k a week? Do you see a club that will give him that?