Wot a signing? - Summer 2024 edition | Most successful jinx thread 2024

Greenwood not having any buyer yet is understandable with the baggage he has.

AWB is on £100k per week, I doubt many clubs would want to pay that or more for a limited right back. I am not that sure the club is actively trying to sell him anyway as he fits the homegrown quota.

Lindelof is on £170k per week. No club will pay anything close to that for an average 29 year old player.

Pellestri just doesn't have any decent output as an attacker, so I can understand why there are no potential buyers.

The Fulham player is Pereira. We sold him for £10m. He was 26 when we sold him, he is 28 now. He never really showed much on his loans to warrant a high fee unfortunately. The talent was always there and he only started to realise that potential when he moved on and started knuckling down. Also bearing in mind at 26 with not really showing anything great by that age, it is hard to see a player start performing to a good level going forward if he hasn't already done so by that age.

But £10m for an academy player is still better than nothing.
AWB is on 90k a week. He is the 3rd lowest paid if you discount the academy players that have broken through

Lindelöf is on 120k, AWB on 90k

AWB is on 90k a week. He is the 3rd lowest paid if you discount the academy players that have broken through

90k or 100k does that really matter other than being pedantic though, because he will still ask for £120k + from a new club.

Lindelof Transfermarkt said £170k so apologies. But he will surely want £150k at another club and at his age and ability, he is simply not worth it.

90k or 100k does that really matter other than being pedantic though, because he will still ask for £120k + from a new club.

Lindelof Transfermarkt said £170k so apologies. But he will surely want £150k at another club and at his age and ability, he is simply not worth it.

Why would they ask for a higher salary from a smaller, poorer club than what they had at United?

Why would they ask for a higher salary from a smaller, poorer club than what they had at United?

Because players rarely ever leave a club for less wages especially in their prime years.

Why would they leave a club like United for a lesser club? What incentive do they have other than more money.

As a player I would look at it like this, I am currently at Manchester United, what reason do I want to go to a lesser club, what can that club offer me.

A lesser club needs to offer a higher wage to persuade a player to join them.

It is exactly the same reason why when United are signing players like Varane and Casemiro, or Schweinsteiger from Bayern. United was a step down for them so they demanded more money.

Because players rarely ever leave a club for less wages especially in their prime years.

Why would they leave a club like United for a lesser club? What incentive do they have other than more money.

As a player I would look at it like this, I am currently at Manchester United, what reason do I want to go to a lesser club, what can that club offer me.

It is exactly the same reason why when United are signing players like Varane and Casemiro, or Schweinsteiger from Bayern. United was a step down for them so they demanded more money.

Yes, that theory worked well for Lingard and where is he now? Lindelof, in particular, would be better to take the same money, or a little less, on a 5 year contract, rather than find himself out of contract next year and unable to find a club at all. Same with AWB.

Yes, that theory worked well for Lingard and where is he now? Lindelof, in particular, would be better to take the same money, or a little less, on a 5 year contract, rather than find himself out of contract next year and unable to find a club at all. Same with AWB.

Lingard and DDG both did it but footballers don't have common sense.

I understand what you’re saying about staying at Utd as oppose to going to a lesser club…

but there comes a point where surely said player wants to play games and getting first team football (40 games) on less money is far more attractive than getting 10 sporadic games on a higher wage.

probably depends on the character of the player really.What they want…money or a happier playing time

What is going with these fees? Unknown players, without any experience in PL, are going for 30-40 mil.
I am reading that Liverpool want for some of their young players at least 20 mil.

What is going on here?!:eek::confused:

So looks like DeLigt, Ugarte and Zirkee are making progress, talks have progressed to release DA from Newcastle. Its looking positive

So looks like DeLigt, Ugarte and Zirkee are making progress, talks have progressed to release DA from Newcastle. Its looking positive
Those 3 plus another defender (Todipo) would be 9/10 summer regarding incoming transfers. 9/10 because i was hoping for better striker like Toney but you can't get everything.

But, lets see how sales will go. That is another huge factor this summer.

What is going with these fees? Unknown players, without any experience in PL, are going for 30-40 mil.
I am reading that Liverpool want for some of their young players at least 20 mil.

What is going on here?!:eek::confused:

This summer is all about messing with the PL FFP rules apparently. I don't know if we should be glad that we don't have to be playing these stupid games or if we are getting left behind a bit here (like we missed the boat around selling to the Saudi Arabian league last summer)

We’ve got to get better at selling fringe players under Ineos. Newcastle just made £65million selling Anderson and Yinteh (who I’ve never heard of!)

To put that in context, if we had sold them they would have been our sixth and seventh most expensive sales, in our entire history!

Our motto shouldn't be signing unwanted players from top European clubs, haven't we learned our lesson yet?
We can do better than Ugarte and De Ligt, they're unwanted trash, it would be a waste of money again. I'd rather take that £80m - £100m and spend it on one player instead.

How are other clubs able to pull stuff of like this and we struggle so much to offload players?

Almost 90M for vastly inexperienced young players is insanity, we'd be lucky to make that off of 4 experienced senior players

Last edited:
Our motto shouldn't be signing unwanted players from top European clubs, haven't we learned our lesson yet?
We can do better than Ugarte and De Ligt, they're unwanted trash, it would be a waste of money again. I'd rather take that £80m - £100m and spend it on one player instead.

Yeah, just like we did with Maguire and Anthony…

How are other clubs able to pull stuff of like this and we struggle so much to offload players?

Almost 90M for castle inexperienced young players is insanity, we'd be lucky to make that off of 4 experienced senior players

Yeah, it's a bit depressing.

The general level of this forum has really plummeted over the last few years

Almost 90M for castle inexperienced young players is insanity, we'd be lucky to make that off of 4 experienced senior players

Our players, for the most part, are shite while out on loan. So nobody wants them.

If Amad played for Chelsea, he'd have been sold for 30-40 million after his Sunderland loan. Though they probably would have signed him for a lot less than we did and it would have been a tidy profit.

Our players, for the most part, are shite while out on loan. So nobody wants them.

If Amad played for Chelsea, he'd have been sold for 30-40 million after his Sunderland loan. Though they probably would have signed him for a lot less than we did and it would have been a tidy profit.
This is the key thing that seems to differentiate us from other top PL clubs when it comes to selling our young talents that are surplus. We manage to pick fantastic loan destinations for them to show their quality. If they are truly outstanding on loan (like Reece James, Mason Mount, Conor Gallagher) then they’ll likely get a role in the first team. If they’re solid but not quite the quality necessary for Chelsea then they’ve at least shown enough that other clubs at a lower level than us are super keen on them.

Expect we’ll be bringing in another £100m of sales this summer still.

Am I correct in saying that Sancho and Greenwood will be obligated to train with United next week if they aren’t sold?

They are not trash and which is very important here, they are 23-24 years old. So, if you buy them for "normal" fee and put them on "normal" salary you can always sell them for decent fee.

Is it already Doomposting season ?
I wouldn't brace myself for a lot of players being sold advantageously. Does it ever happen, anywhere ? Adjust signing in expectations accordingly.

No signings and no exciting rumoured signings - a player to get us off our seats. Too few of those in our squad.
We’ve only just hired a completely new staff to run the football. Give em a minute at least.

I haven’t kept up with what other teams are doing.

Are we the only big team in England still waiting to sign someone again?

Almost 90M for vastly inexperienced young players is insanity, we'd be lucky to make that off of 4 experienced senior players

Well those players were not on a gazillion pounds in wages compared to our players. Even the kit man is on 80k a week at United!

Wonder how easy these add-ons really are.
But that's a move that needed to be made.

It's been more than half a day since they were dumped out of the Euros and no dutch player signed, what is going on?

Now our beloved Donny has left we don’t even get to class him as “like a new signing” every 6 months when he gets sent back to us. Ashworth is taking us backwards, we’re on -2 transfers for this season before we’ve even started.

I haven’t kept up with what other teams are doing.

Are we the only big team in England still waiting to sign someone again?

Liverpool haven’t signed anyone, Man City haven’t signed anyone, Arsenal have triggered Raya’s buy option.