Why don't we win games by 3+ goal margin anymore?

I'm struggling to come to grips with the fact that Newcastle's goal difference is +21 and ours is 0...
Meh, we have 1.7% more possession and 1.6% better pass completion. They'll get found out.

Strange, that's about 3% less than during peak Ole-ball.

Rashford is inconsistent, martial is always injured, a guy is in prison. 2 strikers left( not doing much anyway), one is spinning, another one is MIA and Bruno’s goals have dried up. With these issues, I would say we have done well to grind out results.

The only team that regularly do are Liverpool and City over the past few years. They've also been the best teams in that period. Goal difference is just another reflection of your level, it's not a separate issue.

On average, the number of goals scored each season doesn't seem to indicate it's been harder to score

The question wasn’t “why don’t we score more goals” though, it was “why don’t we beat teams by 3+”

And I’ve already mentioned that failing to control games properly (every game last year) along with lacking any sort of striker threat (this year) have contributed to the majority of our issues banging in goals

It's either:

• We don't create enough chances
  • or, we don't finish enough chances
l wonder how our stats look in terms of big chances creation and expected goals.

Of course the lack of a goals-scoring striker/forward has impact, but I think the issue is more structural/tactical than individual quality.

According to the Premier League (so league form alone) we are 6th in "Big chances created" and have played 14 games compared to most other teams playing 15 or 16 games. Table looks like this:

1. Liverpool 41
2. City 40
3. Brentford 33
4. Arsenal 30
5. Brighton 28
6. United 28
7. Spurs 27
8. Newcastle 26
16. Chelsea 17

With any luck after the Forest game we could be above Arsenal so I think we create enough chances although we'd want to be nearer the top two obviously.

It's clearly a personnel issue. We don't have an out and out striker that's played all season. Some can be explained away with teething issues with the new system EtH is trying to implement, you can tell we still aren't playing the way he wants us to ideally. Stick a quality striker up top and the confidence levels in the squad improve too. It would be a similar effect to what Martinez has brought to the defence, it doesn't feel as gut wrenching watching us protect a lead like it did last season and players like Dalot and Varane look immensely better.

Hahaha this is very untimely thread. You ask those questions when we are first and winning bunch of games 1 to 0. We are at the point where we are missing games or drawing them. Why are we doing that ?

Our forwards are not really goalscorers. This fact will continue to put us under pressure as a club with ambitions to compete for top honours.

We simply don't have enough goals in the team. I don't have an issue with the football we play, because we create a lot of chances, but we don't have a single 20+ goals player on the team, Rashford has only 4 in the league. Ideally you want a top striker, then you want other attacking players to contribute, but they aren't doing that enough either.

It'll come I'm sure of it, but yeah it's kinda frustrating.

I'm struggling to come to grips with the fact that Newcastle's goal difference is +21 and ours is 0...
At least we’re consistent.… Utd ended last season on zero goal diffence.

We aren’t good enough really. ETH came in and made great signings and tried to implement his style with the current crop and it resulted in a beat down anc awful start to the season. We then had to go into result/tough mode and grind out results.

We will. At least we now have goals all around the pitch. Witjout Ronaldo now, everyone will join the party and you will see more goals. Starting from forest

The question wasn’t “why don’t we score more goals” though, it was “why don’t we beat teams by 3+”

And I’ve already mentioned that failing to control games properly (every game last year) along with lacking any sort of striker threat (this year) have contributed to the majority of our issues banging in goals
And I will definitely agree with all of that. I just didn't think the league being "better" had anything to do with it

Is there no promising goal machines coming up through our ranks? We have Garnacho breaking into the team, and I know Zidane Iqbal and Hannibal are also highly rated. But young promising no.9s from the academy seem a rarity.

I remember between 91/92 - 96/97 we would always win 1 home game 5-0

I miss those days

Let's start by winning games (We have started to do so now) and worry later about the margins.

Utd have Rashford and Martial as the main strikers, that’s why.
These sort of posts don't add up when we were scoring loads and for fun under Ole before Ronaldo. Ronaldo was the issue. After acquiring him we went from scoring 121 goals in a season to 70 goals the following one.

It will come, we fixed our leaky defence and we have started creating more chances too. Now we just need to put them away. Rashford is in fine form and we have Martial and Bruno back too.

Simple. We’re not clinical enough. Under Ten Hag now we are creating tons of chances but just not finishing them. If only greenwood wasn’t an idiot. He’d of banged in 20+goals under ETH.

Let's start by winning games (We have started to do so now) and worry later about the margins.
Absolutely. Plus we’ve kept 6 CS in like the last 7 home games so we’ve been alright with scoring 1 or 2 goals. Our defence has improved massively.

Mourinho mentality - He once said something along the line that the best result is 1-0 win, because it means everything is being executed according to the game plan.

The same reason we’re on a zero goal difference over 1/3 of the way through the season. Our forward line isn’t up to it and we just don’t have enough goals in us.

I think, in very simple terms, we are not 3 goals better than most teams in the league. Teams like Palace, Brighton and even Leciester normally have something about them. While we should be aiming for 6 points off them its far from guaranteed especially away from home. There is no fear factor at Old Trafford like their used to be and hasn't been for a long time.
For the first time in a long time we are keeping clean sheets and winning games, that is a good start. We need to get better, especially at home, at scoring early against the low block and forcing teams to come out. City do this regularly at home and have games wrapped up by half time. its a great skill to have and hopefully one we can develop starting tonight

Reactions: Invictus
Is there no promising goal machines coming up through our ranks? We have Garnacho breaking into the team, and I know Zidane Iqbal and Hannibal are also highly rated. But young promising no.9s from the academy seem a rarity.
We had one. Shame he turned out to be a cnut.

Simple. We’re not clinical enough. Under Ten Hag now we are creating tons of chances but just not finishing them. If only greenwood wasn’t an idiot. He’d of banged in 20+goals under ETH.
We are making more weak chances. As someone posted, we are scoring about as many as our expected goals are for our chances.

We have poor wide players, we don't create much from them.

We don’t really have an out and out goalscorer that can bag us 25-30 goals a season. Rashford is inconsistent, Martial is injury prone particularly when he’s on form, Greenwood is suspended indefinitely for being a prick of a human being to put it kindly.

Plus not being clinical enough in the final 3rd which is something I’ve copied and pasted loads of times in the past on the matchday forums.

We don’t really have an out and out goalscorer that can bag us 25-30 goals a season. Rashford is inconsistent, Martial is injury prone particularly when he’s on form, Greenwood is suspended indefinitely for being a prick of a human being to put it kindly.

Plus not being clinical enough in the final 3rd which is something I’ve copied and pasted loads of times in the past on the matchday forums.
Having a goal scorer is great, but out wide players don't create much.

These sort of posts don't add up when we were scoring loads and for fun under Ole before Ronaldo. Ronaldo was the issue. After acquiring him we went from scoring 121 goals in a season to 70 goals the following one.
Agree Ronaldo was an issue with the decline in goals. However, Utd are now left with Rashford and Martial as the main strikers (Sancho unavailable). My concern being I have virtually zero confidence Rashford & Martial can deliver.

Having a goal scorer is great, but out wide players don't create much.
Well of course they don't, there's no one to create the chance to, ot much point in whizzing a pass to where the goal scores should be if we don't have anyone there

We are making more weak chances. As someone posted, we are scoring about as many as our expected goals are for our chances.

We have poor wide players, we don't create much from them.
We have a lot of creativity through the middle. That’s where our chances get created.

It’s certainly annoying. Things just petering out now. It’s like any chance we get the ball is being magnetically pulled away from their goal

It appears it is because we are better at hitting that guy with gloves than hitting the net behind him.