Music What's the most-expensive vinyl record (or CD) you've bought for your collection?

Drawfull

With vinyl having a resurgence and plenty of people still playing the medium regardless, I thought this might be interesting - not only to see how much we're willing to pay for a piece of plastic that is probably available digitally, but to see to which tracks people are attaching value to or to which value is attached. All genres welcome!

I recently paid 90 quid for

And as I commented on that track on that post 6 years ago, the breakbeat/drop that hits after the pianos and the 'you walk with me' sample, is fecking incredible - and worth the cash to me, to get an original original press.

The other recent one was Foul Play - Finest Illusion (the proper mix*, although it's been recently released digitally with the full samples). 140 quid. Which is insane, but it's a great 93 hardcore track if that floats your boat.

These two are comfortably higher than anything I've ever spent on one release; more than double in both cases.

What you got?

*it was pulled due to sample clearance issues

£25 on a cd, probably about the same on a vinyl record. I’m not fussy when it comes to original pressings etc, I just want a copy to play.

Can't say I have anything outrageously priced but I would pay a premium for a 1st edition of Ween's 12 Golden Country Greats with the Muhammad Ali ending on Powder Blue.

Not spending that much on stuff like this, but as a huge fan of westcoast/g-funk music i bought this one some years ago for more than i could find it for now.

https://www.amazon.com/Addictive-Hip-Hop-Muzick-Who-Am/dp/B000008MA7

That was pretty much at the time I stopped listening to hip hop, and went over to hardcore. But the sound from back then is (obviously) better than the HH of now. Although to be fair, the stuff we bought was based off the Explicit logo :lol::lol:

Never paid more than RRP for music but I recently sold The Music's debut album on vinyl for £75 and Heathen Chemistry by Oasis for a little less than that. Was genuinely surprised they went for that much, especially the latter.

£25 on a cd, probably about the same on a vinyl record. I’m not fussy when it comes to original pressings etc, I just want a copy to play.

Me either normally, but I had the original version of that particular tune when I was like 17, so there's a bit of nostalgia of course. Nowt wrong with represses unless the sound of the tune markedly changes.

That was pretty much at the time I stopped listening to hip hop, and went over to hardcore. But the sound from back then is (obviously) better than the HH of now. Although to be fair, the stuff we bought was based off the Explicit logo :lol::lol:
Second time alone in a record store i bought five albums just based of that logo as some guy at school said all good albums had the sticker :lol:
First time i bought Temple Of Boom from Cypress Hill, just because it looked scary. How random it was, it staired me right into a life long love for hip hop.

Paid £2/300 for an original St Jude by Courteeners a while back. They’re annoyingly rare as was before Vinyl made a comeback. Think I’ve paid similar for some Oasis stuff too, lot of rare LP’s/B sides from them which go for a fair bit along with any original presses.

Bought an unopened vinyl of Gypsy - Soundtracks, a fecking wicked trance album from 1994 for £70. I’ve still got the OG cd from that year but saw this and snapped it up.

Of course whether it’s actually worth that I dunno but it’s a legendary album for me.

$60 for the Black Keys ‘Delta Kream’ smokey vinyl and around the same for the Black Keys 10th Anniversary ‘El Camino’
set.
SharedImage-120602.png

eqrVkFW2blackcamino10thbrick.png

Second time alone in a record store i bought five albums just based of that logo as some guy at school said all good albums had the sticker :lol:
First time i bought Temple Of Boom from Cypress Hill, just because it looked scary. How random it was, it staired me right into a life long love for hip hop.

I think this sales boost still works today at some level - at least, I'm pretty sure that if you say your song is explicit and it actually isn't when submitting to stores, it can or will be rejected.

I think this sales boost still works today at some level - at least, I'm pretty sure that if you say your song is explicit and it actually isn't when submitting to stores, it can or will be rejected.
I am 100% sure it does. Sometimes i even catch myself just looking for the little ”e” mark when i scroll thru ”release radar” on Spotify.

I've got my eye on Leftism by Leftfield vinyl but not seeing it cheaper than £125 second hand.

Ridiculously expensive but I must have it as its my favourite album of all time

I think probably one of the ERC pressings

The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium probably, about 35€.

Have been lucky to have bought vinyl on live shows which turned out to be worth a lot few years down the road.

AFI - Sing The Sorrow for instance, bought it at a show for 15€, median price on Discogs is 350€. The Bronx - First ST, bought it for 10€, about 215€ now.

Not that I will ever sell them :lol:

My uncle once sold a Sex Pistols record for about 11.000€. Bought it for ten I think.

I was extremely drunk in a taxi on the way home a few weeks ago and ended up spending 75 quid on this:

MTMtNjk4OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Original first press Ziggy stardust and an first press Low .. that set me back more then couple of hundreds.

Back in the mid-90s I paid $100 for this one that used to be super rare. Now it sells for $3 on discogs. :lol:

I did some PR stuff for Defected many many years ago. Ended up with a great collection of signed promos, and exclusives.

Had a massive brain fart when our first kid came along, and space was at a premium in our gaff, and sold the lot on Ebay.

Got the missus a turntable for xmas, and I've been pining after those records ever since.

Now I only own one record. And it's ELO. I'm turning in to my dad

The most I’ve paid is £140 for a vinyl copy of Michael Jackson HIStory.

According to Discogs it’s worth in excess of £200 and has sold for over £500, albeit £250-£300 is a more accurate valuation.

I tend to take Discogs valuations with a bit of a pinch of salt. My collection median value is over £14,100 but top end is £25,400.

Followed this up with $36 on Definitely Maybe. I have a shameful affinity for Oasis - searching for What's The Story, Morning Glory next.

Is that a repress or a second hand copy of the original?

If it's the latter then that's really cheap! Maybe it's not as rare or sought after where you are, but based on sales via Discogs marketplace the original UK Damont version goes for as much as £229. Even the median price is £139. That said it doesn't make much difference if you don't have the Damont pressing, it's still insanely expensive.

Even if it's a repress it will grow in value over the years, I'd have thought.

I can't stand Oasis now, but I did like them at first and I've got the first two LPs and all the 12" singles from that era. They're all worth stupid amounts and the value keeps going up and up.

I used to go to Vinyl Exchange in town in the 90s at every opportunity. Best record store ever. I had to ban myself from going there in the end because it was costing me too much money.

I think the most I spent on a second hand release was £30 for a copy of the 12" version of "mmm Skyscraper I love you" by Underworld. I bought a Nintendo 64 on the same day, so you can tell it was a while ago :lol:

The feeling of joy and excitement when you find that rare single or album that's the only one missing from your collection is hard to describe!

Something around 100€ mabye for Miles Davis Complete Sessions of In a Silent Way I guess.

Those rare US imports back in the day where awfully expensive for a kid, around 40 bucks for Twista's Adrenaline Rush or early 36 Mafia stuff was a lot of money for me. Eye opener tough.

Is that a repress or a second hand copy of the original?

If it's the latter then that's really cheap! Maybe it's not as rare or sought after where you are, but based on sales via Discogs marketplace the original UK Damont version goes for as much as £229. Even the median price is £139. That said it doesn't make much difference if you don't have the Damont pressing, it's still insanely expensive.

Even if it's a repress it will grow in value over the years, I'd have thought.

I can't stand Oasis now, but I did like them at first and I've got the first two LPs and all the 12" singles from that era. They're all worth stupid amounts and the value keeps going up and up.

It's a repress, unfortunately. I bought it at a record store close to the university in Seattle. While it's rare to find in person, I see it on Amazon for about $10 more and a bit of a waiting period as well.

My friend got a first UK pressing of Dark Side of the Moon for $150, I'd say that was a steal.

I've got a pretty sizable Factory records vinyl collection with a few white label and test pressings.

I reckon about 40 euro for the actual Vinyl, but including customs and stuff I've paid nearly 60 euro.

Blue Monday was released 40 year ago today.

God I feel old

I paid $80 for the Rolling Stones London Years vinyl box set. Definitely worth it!

I queued up outside a record shop in huddersfield once over night (1st in the queue) for national records day, but that was back in my trainer/fashion reselling days so they went straight on ebay for profit.

I've got my eye on Leftism by Leftfield vinyl but not seeing it cheaper than £125 second hand.

Ridiculously expensive but I must have it as its my favourite album of all time
Thought you might want to know that Leftism has been reissued on vinyl today.