What's happened to spectacular goals?

I'd say 4) Other

Lack of spectacular goals blends in with football generally getting more boring as teams put so much emphasis on possession or being compact. It's all extremely safe.

It's a tough watch at times when you grew up with 90's football.
Don't worry there will be one or winger/AMC regen that loves to run with the ball at the heart of defence and with luck his manager will build a gungho team around him and suddenly everybody wants to copy that. Its a cycle. The revolution of the said cycle could be from a year to a century though.

Statistics dictate that the chances of scoring from long range, is significantly less. Players are coached to retain the ball now. A top stats guy is the best signing a club can make apparently.

I still like this one.

Maddison Vs Manchester City

Well the first thing you need is some sort of randomiser and both players admitted to using them. I'm not an expert on Hold'em (only play Pot Limit Omaha) but there are only 169 distinct starting hands so many hands are mixed strategies (e.g. A7 suited could be a raise 64% of the time, a call 25% of the time and a fold 11% of the time in a particular spot). Mixed strategies can also happen in PLO but are
a) not really relevant as nobody is going to exploit you if you play one of the 16,432 possible hands a certain way in a certain spot and
b) often the result of solver output which hasn't fully converged.

Computing power is still an issue with a game as large as PLO. I have rented a server with 512 RAM in the past and even then you work with abstractions ("strength buckets") and simplified postflop lines (e.g. only allowing one or two bet sizings). Though once you have solid preflop ranges (preflop converges relatively quickly) you can set up postflop scenarios using these ranges and run them with mainstream hardware. But heads-up NL Hold'em which is what they were playing is solved for all practical purposes.

Strength buckets bring us to heuristics. A practical example from PLO: You hold AKKx with the ace of spades and get called by a player in position. Flop comes down Kxx with two spades giving you top set and a blocker to the nut flush draw. You check (the out of position player checks almost their entire range here as K high boards are much more favourable to the preflop caller), your opponent bets and you have to decide whether to raise or just call. From playing around with solvers I have found top set with the nut flush draw blocker virtually never raises here and always calls as raising sacrifices the value of your blocker which you want to use on future streets to potentially turn your hand into a bluff if another spade rolls off. This is my reading of the solver output of course. The solution doesn't come with explanations, it is merely the result of iterating through the game tree millions of times and see which strategy yields the highest EV. On the other hand loads of other KK combinations want to raise here and get as much money in as possible. Including top set with say a 9-high flush draw as the value of calling these mediocre draws out of position is marginal. These sort of heuristics can be studied (there is training software now as well which can process the raw data and make it visually appealing and comprehendable for humans) but it takes a lot of effort and anyone trying to get into the game at this point really has to be willing to grind a lot of hours. Don't think it's worth it and it's not getting better. Any type of live assistance is prohibited of course but there have been bots for as long as there's been online poker and the only thing that stands in the way of true GTO bots is the availability of sufficient computing power imho.

Don't know how well versed you are in poker. Hope that wasn't too confusing. :lol:

This is fascinating even though I probably only understood about 1 word in 5 and now have preflop logged in my work computer google history!

anyway back on topic

Data analysts will have a field day with that one . Sure it goes in, the statistically correct play is to put a cross in.

That's why a lot of the fun has been sucked out of the game.

Data analysts will have a field day with that one . Sure it goes in, the statistically correct play is to put a cross in.

That's why a lot of the fun has been sucked out of the game.
I am really not sure if you can say that you even could put a cross in from that position, it is quite central on the field. So if he tries to assist a header there, the defenders can just head it out frontally, which is much easier than heading it in when you receive the ball from your back and have to head it without really seeing the ball - or having to head it to your back while looking at the ball. For an attacker that is one of the worst positions to receive a high played assist (except he can take it out of the air, turn around properly and then shoot, but that is only possible in open play, not in a wall with so many defenders around him). Shooting directly has a much higher chance of hitting the goal, then depending on another player to take one of the most difficult shots.

But maybe you think he should basically pass it down the left and let his teammate then cross it in? That could work, but crosses into a very crowded box like here are also quite unlikely to be converted, so that does not change very much I think.

a mate of mine used a solver to solve short stack NLHE, he developed a program that basically read the hand on the screen and then posted a chart with GTO ranges on the screen so you could quickly make a perfect (shove/fold) decision

he made it like that so it didn't break any of the PokerStars rules

he then had a stable of guys using it who paid him 20% of profit, they all played short stack NLHE and didn't need to know anything about the game to make about ~$100k a year from it.

PokerStars eventually found out who he was and approached him, and asked to see his program promising they wouldn't expose him or detail how he did it. They said they just wanted to double check he wasn't breaking any rules. Anyway, they lied. Posted all about it on 2+2, and changed their rules to make it definitely against the T&Cs. They eventually bought the software from him and hired him, so he did alright out of it.

That really couldn't have gone any better for him :lol: Did he get to keep all of his winnings, too?

I'm assuming this was some years ago as I doubt there is any money to be made short-stacking NLHE these days. Not least because minimum buy-ins have been raised and 'ratholing' (leaving with a big stack and immediately buying in short again) is not endlessly possible anymore.

This is fascinating even though I probably only understood about 1 word in 5 and now have preflop logged in my work computer google history!

It's pretty hard to talk about poker without using all of the lingo that comes with it. :D Hope you got the gist of it.

That really couldn't have gone any better for him :lol: Did he get to keep all of his winnings, too?

I'm assuming this was some years ago as I doubt there is any money to be made short-stacking NLHE these days. Not least because minimum buy-ins have been raised and 'ratholing' (leaving with a big stack and immediately buying in short again) is not endlessly possible anymore.

It's pretty hard to talk about poker without using all of the lingo that comes with it. :D Hope you got the gist of it.

yeah it was over 5 years ago, they didn't confiscate winnings as he didn't break any rules

I'm pretty sure this would be the main reason min buy-ins were raised

yeah it was over 5 years ago, they didn't confiscate winnings as he didn't break any rules

I'm pretty sure this would be the main reason min buy-ins were raised

That's true. Any game that's easily solved (i.e. a game tree that doesn't require a lot of RAM such as short-stack hold'em) has all but disappeared. Heads up is pretty much dead online for the same reason.

We should probably continue this in the poker thread.

I think the fans played a major role on how we react to goals.

I've seen some spectacular goals from Bruno this season, but without fans it's like.."Yeah, goal, get in Bruno"

With fans, we're celebrating like mad men.

I certainly don’t think we see as many of these goals anymore, I know this was an anomaly but looks these goals just from one month

Came in here looking for this! You wont find a crazier outlier:lol: I reckon that one month contained better goals than an entire typical PL season.

I liked lamelas goal, it’s the shock value and skill involved. For me though a screamer or the ‘best’ goals to see are from range and smacked hard with height on them, if they hit the crossbar before going in too, then :drool:

I certainly don’t think we see as many of these goals anymore, I know this was an anomaly but looks these goals just from one month

I'd forgotten they were all in the same month. That could be goals of the decade. Taylor's one was outrageous