What "quick-fixes" should the next manager do?

Dropping Fred, Wan-Bissaka, McTominay, Shaw and Maguire would probably do him the world of good, going off their form.

I wish you are managing UTD, this one step would give us a chance.

I am get irritated to know club is offering Maguire/Shaw extensions with better money, literally these 2 dont deserve it and they dont get this kind of money anywhere

Looks like Bissaka signing is another 50M went down the drain, him and Shaw are really thick with out any intellegence

I knnow Shaw had a good season last year but that was one out of 8 years for us.

The quickest fix would be him opening Word on his tablet and typing out his resignation letter.

McFred must be replaced and we need to bring in a proper defensive coach asap. Mckena / Carrick / Phelan / Ramsey are not giving me any confidence at all.

In what universe has he given good academy players a chance? Everyone and their mom is going out on loan. 2 min debuts here and there. 20m signing plays a half, scores a goal, then is nowhere to be a found. It's ridicilious. We don't need players that can't be arsed (Martial & Pogba), or ten players the manager doesn't rate but wants on the books in case of an injury crisis (Telles, Donny, Lingard, Mata). There should be room for a little youth. For all the talks of United DNA or whatever, Ole the manager has very little of it.

He's still between a rock and a hard place.

We're in turbulent times, he can't just throw shite at the wall and hopes it sticks. That's the worst thing he can do right now. He needs his experienced players, not youth team players.

Besides I don't think he'd last to Christmas but we'll soon see won't we. Football has been pretty dire I will admit and there's only so many times Ronaldo can save us.

Try reading some of your own posts and this will go further down your list.

Yes, I'm well aware I've written some pretty ridiculous things, thank you very much.

Fecking hell man, Pogba is not some sort of evil conniving super hero villain that will do this to manipulate the club into going somewhere else. Jesus Christ almighty this is one of the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on here. (and I've written some dumb a*s sh*t on here)

Childlike mentality, fecking hell mate, it's just football, there's no need for these sort of mental gymnastics.

Do you really think him and Raoila sit there and go:

"Yeaaaah let's make them THINK we want to sign a new deal, when in fact we DON'T, that'll surely get us what we want!"

Bloody hell this forum is mad at times.

Of course I'm not suggesting putting them on in an undecided match. In case you didn't notice over the years, that's exactly how we've made young players take the step up. Rashford, Greenwood are the most recent examples.

I'm pretty sure no one would feel insulted if they're subbed off while we're winning for an upcoming talent in the last 5 minutes.. isn't that how we've always given minutes to our youth (some minutes here and there and some in the cup competitions)

Only an idiot would think that we've given enough minutes to youth under Ole. Dialo scored an excellent goal but hardly got a sniff again. Shoretire, Elanga, Mejbri all play in the preseason but don't get any minutes what so ever.

Amad was due to go out on loan, but he got injured, Amad has only just come back to fitness and is due to go on loan again.

Shoretire when played was clear that he wasn't ready and Elanga was due to go out on loan, but again he got injured.

I'd rather them play youth football and go on loan than hope for 5mins here and there in every other game. Does literally nothing for their development.

You've been parroting this for quite a while. What's the point of the forum if you can't discuss? Also, many fans have been right about a lot of things before. Your assumption is that fans don't understand the game which might be true in your case but some of us have actually played football at a good enough level to realize what's going wrong.

Fans on the whole literally do know nothing when it comes to elite performance football, yes it's good to spitball about what you would do, but it's nothing what goes on in the real world. The real world is a lot more simpler than we may think when it comes to football clubs.

So you think apologies and not playing youth team players in arguably the clubs worst run is what should be done?

Notice I didn't criticise the rest of the post and just the last two?

He's still between a rock and a hard place.

We're in turbulent times, he can't just throw shite at the wall and hopes it sticks. That's the worst thing he can do right now. He needs his experienced players, not youth team players.

Amad was due to go out on loan, but he got injured, Amad has only just come back to fitness and is due to go on loan again.
Playing youth players isn't the same as throwing shite on the wall (well maybe it is for Ole). You coach them, prepare them, have a game plan for them. Then you play them. It's not that hard. LVG hands out debuts like candy and it's rarely the reason for a loss (if ever) even if the kid doesn't end up making it. Anyone with 2 eyeballs can see we have some talent running around that could be better than a finished mata or a cant be arsed Martial/Pogba or a subpar AWB/McT. Ole tries to hide his own incompetence by not bedding youth (and new signings that don't hit the ground running)

For example, there's no scenario possible where Svidersky would have played any worse than Pogba these last 2 games under a number of bang average Dutch managers that have experience with bringing through kids. Likewise, my mum would have had a better performance than Maguire in that game where he was was rushed back from injury. I'm sure Mengi would've too.

Also having Amad train on the pitch instead of having him hit the gym the day before he's supposed to finalize the deal is utterly incompetent.

Was listening to the post match analysis by Owen, Scholes and Hargreaves and got the feeling that every one was saying different things and no one really knew how to fix whatever that is wrong at the moment.

What are the immediate steps that need to be done to save this season? I'll start.

1. Replace Maguire as captain with Ronaldo/Bruno or De Gea
Agreed
2. Make it known to everyone that poor performances means you're on the bench regardless of who you are.
Agreed
3. As per #2, Shaw on the bench
Agreed
4. Go 5 at the back until we sort out leaking goals for fun
This is not the best formation for the squad we have. You want 5 at the back but then your next statement you want Donny, Sancho, and Martial to be given starts.
5. Put the players that have been frozen by Ole in the starting line up. (Donny, Sancho, Bailly, Martial, Telles etc.)
Martial is done. He needs a change of scenery. He seems to have some kind of mental disconnect with football the past two seasons. Donny should be given some starts. Bailly is our 3rd or 4th choice at best. Telles is not what we need either. Shaw was fantastic the last two seasons. Something happened to him. Is he still playing on injury from late last season? Was he even fit to play in the Euros?
6. Ban the fecking apology messages on social media.
How is that going to improve the players or performances. You can just unfollow them if you don't want to see it.
7. Grow a pair and promote a few players from the youth in the first team setup and actually give them some minutes every other game (Mejbri, Shoretire? )
We're not in a position to play trials during the season with the young players. If a manager comes in and we start putting matches away, sure, bring them on as later substitutions. Otherwise, we should not be giving starts to players who have little or no PL experience. We'll probably be 8th by end of tomorrow and 10th or lower in a few weeks.

You lost me after #3.

No quick fix.
The confidence is low.
We need to bring in a manager who the players believe in, who has a system that the players can follow and then work from there.
There's big personalities in that dressing room and they will all have their opinions by now, so we need to bring in a big character who can manage all that. Won't be easy.
That's why I think all the talk about the likes of Potter etc are not going to work. A big club needs a manager with a big personality who can pick all these players up. They look low in confidence today.

Solve the defensive issue by picking a goalkeeper who will command his area, sweep up behind the defensive line and organise his defenders, so we can defend higher and not constantly defending under our own crossbar.

Drop to a single pivot and pull bruno back into central midfield and have him in a disciplined position alongside another midfielder (pref V.D.B) to support attacks and then lead the press as and when required.

Press as a team, I.e if one goes everyone goes.

Progress the ball through the middle and build more patient attacks, ban the defenders and goalkeeper from smacking hopeful long balls forward unless under extreme pressure.

I could go on but thats just a starter.

There are no quick fixes, but there is competent coaching and incompetent.

The players have been coached by sheer incompetence for 3 years. I think we'd be shocked at the difference a competent coach could make in our passing, pressing, building from the back, attacking patterns, defensive organisation in a relatively short space of time. Look at the difference in Lampard's Chelsea vs Tuchel's.

We're one of the worst performing teams in the league despite having a squad miles better than almost everyone, we don't look like a cohesive unit in any area of the game. It's not a case of picking this player vs that player, 4231 vs 433, it's about having a coach who has a vision of how they want their team to play an implementing it on the training pitch.
There may seem to be no quick fixes, but but if we were to get in a competent coaching team, not just manager, but all coaching staff, then all the problems that are causing us to play this absolutely unbelievably badly would be very quickly identified, (including the behind the scenes ones that we can't see but are clearly there - ie training) and action taken to rectify.

If we were to get in a competent manager this weekend I would put money on us playing well in our next league game. Formation, players chosen etc. I don't think that would matter as much as we all think. Good management will get the best out of players and the team.

A quick fix isn’t a lasting one. He’s had 3 years to install a style of play & less than 10 games into the season has done the worst impression of a 352 you’ll find. The quickest fix is getting this tougher run out the way then grinding out a few wins against ‘easier opposition’.

Once we get to an easier part of fixture list it’ll be fed back to us as a great turnaround & we’ll eat shit as a fanbase because we’ve been doing so for years.

We aren’t here because of the way he has begun this season, we’re here because of the crap a majority of fans were willing to accept for the last few seasons. He should have been gone after being vastly outcoached against Sevilla & there’s no way he should have survived the Leicester/Villareal failings. The only reason he speaks with impunity in his press conferences is because we accept less because scored a few goals for us off the subs bench a few years ago. Welcome to the Manchester United you wanted.

Solve the defensive issue by picking a goalkeeper who will command his area, sweep up behind the defensive line and organise his defenders, so we can defend higher and not constantly defending under our own crossbar.

Drop to a single pivot and pull bruno back into central midfield and have him in a disciplined position alongside another midfielder (pref V.D.B) to support attacks and then lead the press as and when required.

Press as a team, I.e if one goes everyone goes.

Progress the ball through the middle and build more patient attacks, ban the defenders and goalkeeper from smacking hopeful long balls forward unless under extreme pressure.

I could go on but thats just a starter.
Some interesting ideas but I think we do quite obviously try to "play out." The problem is there are so few options and such little confidence in our technique which reduces them even further. There are quite a few times where we try to play out to a fault and look dodgy as hell.

Maybe if we got VDB and Bruno deeper to help in possession it can help but who knows, but I wouldn't say lumping it is a strategy.

Teach the players that in order to win games you need to press as a team.

Coach the bloody team to play some tactical attacking football.

Quick fix ? Just coach them properly. We have a good team. The narrative that we have lot of issues need to stop.

No quick fixes, but some actions I'd like to see include:

- Overhaul of staff (tbf that usually follows a managerial change, but it's needed now more than ever. If I see any one of Carrick, McKenna, or Phelan looking at an iPad with Ole while the opponent has just ripped our defense wide open, I'll set fire to myself)

- Use more players. Forcing partnerships to play week in week out is tiresome for us fans, because if we can see it's failing, so can the opponent's manager. fecking just chuck some youngster like Mejbri in at the CM if the players who've already gotten plenty of chances haven't taken them. As a fan, I'd much prefer that approach, than doing the same over and over, failing over and over, yet expecting not to over and over.

- Ruthlessness in departures. A player doesn't want to play for the club? Sort out a move for him, then. This a probably not solely on the manager's task list, but I'd like to at least see the manager reward the game time to players you know are still at the club in 12 months (read - Pogba and Lingard).

- Remove Maguire of captaincy, and give it to anyone else.

Like many, I can't see it being a quick fix. Too many issues right now.

The defence has to be the first thing that is fixed. We have to find a way to stop leaking goals. Ole has been kept in a job based on us continuously coming from behind and somehow winning games. That was obviously not sustainable. It made it easier doing that in empty stadiums. Once the defensive issues are sorted, we can start to think about getting the attack right. If certain players have the be dropped to make this happen, then get on with it already.

The coaches also need to be replaced. Whatever they're doing, they're doing an awful job. We don't see what they do day to day, but the performances on the pitch are showing that they're not working. The club supposedly brought in a set piece coach in the summer. We're still horrific at defending set pieces and haven't scored off of one all season. The only team in the PL that hasn't.

No manager is throwing academy players in there. The club already has major issues. Throwing in young players is not going to help anything. They will not handle the pressure. Whatever young midfielder you throw to the wolves isn't doing any better than what we have in the first team. Our first team players need to get their shit together and improve as a team.

I don’t think playing more defensively helps the defence. We do need to have them organised better though, then playing in a decent system with the rest. Do that and suddenly some of the individual issues we see will dissipate a fair bit I think.

Definitely need to sort out defending fecking corners as well.

1. Replace Maguire as captain with Ronaldo/Bruno or De Gea
share the captaincy amongst Cavani, Ronaldo, Varane, De Gea, McTominay until a culture of all round responsibility of stepping up is inculcated.
2. Make it known to everyone that poor performances means you're on the bench regardless of who you are.
yes
3. As per #2, Shaw on the bench
well then Maguire first
4. Go 5 at the back until we sort out leaking goals for fun
no. Fix the coaching so that 451/433/4231 (they're basically the same thing if players actually move and make runs) or 4411 or 442 even...are all coached to understand positioning, pressing etc to protect and defend from the front, whilst also having enough bodies to enable a variety of movement up the pitch. 5 at the back, unless a stupid high Chelsea/Sarri line, just gives up possession when our midfield is utter wànk.
5. Put the players that have been frozen by Ole in the starting line up. (Donny, Sancho, Bailly, Martial, Telles etc.)
Definitely not Martial
6. Ban the fecking apology messages on social media.
yes, but good luck.
7. Grow a pair and promote a few players from the youth in the first team setup and actually give them some minutes every other game (Mejbri, Shoretire? )
good luck getting results at the same time. Theres a balance between what Ole is doing keeping underperformers in the team and destroying on pitch understanding when in terrible form by dropping kids in.

...and further...we need a manager with character and steel, demanding, with a thoroughly defined precise approach, a track record. Completely freshen up training. Standards...yes...they need to be returned.

You lost me after #3.

I admit I didn’t phrase those well.

4. We should mix and play 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 while giving all the players some chances to impress.

6. Throwing in young players is not a fix to anything but something I would like the next manager to address once he has steadied the ship. We have given awfully few chances to youth in the last few years

1. Bruno/Ronaldo as captains.

2. Implement 4-3-3 with high press that shifts to a back 3 (AVB, Varane, Bailly) when we are attacking. Shaw as LWB, Matic (new DM Bissouma in January) Bruno and Sancho (Pogba if he stays) in midfield, with Rashford (L) Ronaldo (CF) Greenwood (R) as front 3.

3. Sell McTominay, Maguire. Bring in 2 midfielders if Pogba Walks.

Some interesting ideas but I think we do quite obviously try to "play out." The problem is there are so few options and such little confidence in our technique which reduces them even further. There are quite a few times where we try to play out to a fault and look dodgy as hell.

Maybe if we got VDB and Bruno deeper to help in possession it can help but who knows, but I wouldn't say lumping it is a strategy.

It was a strategy today, I dont think I saw us play put from the back once today it just ended up getting launched. Saw Ronaldo spending far too much time scrapping for aerial balls on the half way line.

Even when we do play out we normally end up wide we very rarely actually progress through the middle, its infuriating to watch because when we do go through the middle we actually look quite good.

Cancel the contracts handout with immediate effect & consider contract termination for some 100k+ players who can't or do not want to step out of their comfort zone, which is not even West Ham level of professionalism.

Sell De Gea and Henderson while they have value and bring in a good sweeper keeper who is good on the ball.

Replace Pogba with a solid disciplined midfielder.

Sell Dalot , Martial and Lingard bring in Lamptey or another good attacking right back.

Coach movement and pressing.

Have the team actually practice at practice --
1) Decide what strategies (more than 1!) should be used on corner kicks. Practice that. Have the defenders practice defending that.
2) Practice crossing the ball from the touch line into the box and show them how to clear the 1st defender by hitting it over that defender's head.
3) Show them how to switch fields, and have them practice that.
4) Advanced: show them how to pass to a teammate quickly and on the ground the the teammate isn't diving for the ball.
5) Practice passing and moving
6) Show them how to have someone available to receive a throw-in
I could go on...

The quick fixes are already there. Buy experienced old players like Varane, Cavani n Ronaldo. You can see how much they helped before they got injured.

If the next manager dare to, he should just play Matic and Mata. Both are better than McFred.

It was a strategy today, I dont think I saw us play put from the back once today it just ended up getting launched. Saw Ronaldo spending far too much time scrapping for aerial balls on the half way line.

Even when we do play out we normally end up wide we very rarely actually progress through the middle, its infuriating to watch because when we do go through the middle we actually look quite good.
But this is to a large extent a symptom of the players we have. We go wide because that's where the space is and the confidence in Fred, McT and Pogba's dilly dallying isn't there.

Today the defenders had little choice, I think.

I think we try and perhaps there is some coordination lacking a manager could help but it's a tricky problem.

Try coaching the players to implement a definitive system and I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a pretty quick improvement..

Utd has undoubtedly many talented players, but without experienced coaches training them to play a certain system together it’s pointless putting them on the pitch and just waiting for individual brilliance to win matches.

Get rid of Pogba, play Cavani more, Fred can feck off

Get rid of McKenna and Carrick first before any players. Think that is one big reason of Ole's failure.
Lastly, play pressing dynamic football. Pep, Klopp, Touchel, Nagelsman.... Need not say more.