g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming What is the greatest video game console of all time?

quadrant

A lot of this is based on a persons age isn't it but PS1 was such a game changer, it's fully locked into my life with childhood nostalgia, I don't think that can be topped.
The PS1 was one of the most important consoles, because it signalled the moment when consoles stopped being perceived in the mainstream as a kids' thing, and started being something that students/young professionals would do. Off to the pub on a Friday night then back to the flat for a spliff and a round of Tekken was extremely popular back in the 90s.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
I've clearly been alive too long.

1984 Commodore 64
1988 Amiga 500
1991 Amiga 500+
1992 Amiga 600
1993 Amiga 1200
1989 Sega Megadrive
1989 Atari Lynx
1992 Nintendo Gameboy
1996 Sony PlayStation
2000 Sony Playstation 2
2002 Microsoft Xbox
2004 Nintendo Gamecube
2004 Nintendo Gameboy Advance
2005 Sony PSP
2006 Microsoft Xbox 360
2007 Nintendo Wii
2007 Sony PlayStation 3
2014 Microsoft Xbox One
2017 Microsoft Xbox Scorpio (One X)
2020 Nintendo Switch
2022 Microsoft Xbox Series X

Loved that Amiga. X-Copy was amazing for building up a game collection

Big Andy

Bloke
I have had:

MSX
C64
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive
Sega Game Gear
Nintendo Game Boy
PS1
PS2
PS3
Xbox One
Xbox One S

My favourite was the PS3, as it was the biggest upgrade in terms of graphics from SD to HD/Blu-Ray. Obviously that then impacted a lot of the games, such as GTA, etc.

I spent an inordinate amount of time playing Resistance: Fall of Man with my mate.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I'd pretend that was the case too if I had a megadrive
Maybe it was just my friendship group? We tended to play take-a-turn single player stuff in the megadrive and multiplayer games on the snes. Aside from Mortal Kombat maybe, because blood. EA HOCKEY AND FIFA were definitely better in the Sega console too.

Going back a looooong way for these memories though tbf. Could just have been my people.

Unam333

NES
Gameboy (Color)
Nintendo 64
Gameboy Advance
DS
Gamecube
(New) 2DS (XL)
(New) 3DS (XL)
Wii U
Switch (Lite/ OLED)

I am a Nintendo guy. My parents only knew and bought Nintendo consoles.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
PS1, Nintendo DS and PS5 are the consoles I've had most fun on.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Maybe it was just my friendship group? We tended to play take-a-turn single player stuff in the megadrive and multiplayer games on the snes. Aside from Mortal Kombat maybe, because blood. EA HOCKEY AND FIFA were definitely better in the Sega console too.

Going back a looooong way for these memories though tbf. Could just have been my people.
Not just you. I remember Megadrive being better for some sports games. Definitely FIFA I'm sure.

Conversely, I inherited a SNES later in life and had Mortal Kombat 2 game on both systems and the megadrive version was frustratingly difficult. Maybe multiplayer was better?

Last edited: