What an absolute dissappointment Euro 2024 was..

I don't like that so many of the usually most exciting teams have such boring and/or shite managers currently

Southgate, Dechamps, Koeman, that Italy manager... boring, pragmatic bastards the lot of them. Roberto Martinez is shite too.

Get Zidane, Mourinho etc in and you'll notice a big change.
:lol:

I enjoyed it, England were dull to watch as expected but also hard to beat. There were some good moments with the Bellingham goal, Penalty shootout, Watkins goal and some good appearances from Mainoo, Guehi, Konsa and Palmer. Spain were stand outs as the best team and deserved to win it, Austria, Georgia and Netherlands were good to watch. There were some great performances from young players and the Cron show was quite entertaining. Prefer the 16 team format though as 3 teams going through in the group stages is a joke.

The smaller eastern European nations were good to watch. Turkey were a good watching every game they played. Georgia v Turkey for me was game of the tournament, like football should be.

FIFA keep milking the golden goose for more games, more tournaments, less rest. The quality is obviously gonna suffer for the bigger nations.

We have a world club cup with 32 teams next June. Then the summer after a bloated 48 team world cup.

It's farcial, but corrupt FIFA don't care as long as the money is rolling in.

I enjoyed it more than 2016 though 2020 was a lot better. 16-team Euros are still the gold standard.

Though I prefer the 16 team structure, there's no guarantee a return to it is a return to quality.

Euros 2000 and 2008 were fantastic, the former more so and by a distance. Euros 2004 and 12 were meh, whereas Euro 96 was dogshit.

Fair chance it's looked at as the start of another era for Spain, who were fantastic and exciting to watch like their 2008 side was

I mean really... Looking back at this tournament.. What's there to actually to look back to? Is there anything really significant worth looking back to? What and who will we remember for this tournament?

Looking at the performances per country countries..
- France, England, Portugal were incredibly disappointing.. So much quality, but such a negative, defensive, boring style of football..
- Belgium and Italy are in a generational low-tide currently and not by force of making real impact..
- Germany and The Netherlands had their moments, but were mostly underwhelming..
- Spain is the only country who lived up, played attractive football, entertained and delivered actual quality..
- For the rest Austria, Turkey, Georgia caught some attention and they did well, but let's not pretend they were all THAT good.. They had an attractive style of play and/or some individual quality which was refreshing and surprising, but they are still mediocre at best..

Many many stand out individual stand out performances have we seen over the whole tournament? Rodri, Williams, Lamal stand out for Spain.. Maybe Guler?

How many really good memorable games have we actually seen? I mean for real...? Turkey Georgia? Croatia Italy? Germany Spain?

How many really good memorable goals have we actually seen? Yamal? Guler? Calhanoglu?

Apart from that there were so many insignificant tactical games without any tension in the group stages due to the setup with the best numbers 3 also going through..

Thank feck for Spain for saving the Euro's a little bit, but overall.. Damn this was an uneventful forgettable European Championship..

(or am I wrong?)

Think we were the best team in the tournament and should have eliminated Spain which was very entertaining itself. Netherlands and Austria were also quite exciting, Turkey had brillant moments as well. France, Italy and Belgium were disappointing. England achieved good results but was, in terms of entertainment, the most disappointing team in the tournament.

Austria, Romania,Turkey, Georgia, Germany and Switzerland made the group stages a decent watch even if in the knockout rounds they ran out of steam and Spain were good throughout.
THIS…

The format is the problem.
24 countries and most of the 3rd place teams advancing is simply stupid. Almost nothing to play for during the group stages which make up 70% of all games.

Felt a bit flat. I think with an even busier club football calendar next year, international tournaments will struggle even more.

The player of the tournament was a defensive midfielder which says a lot. Was a really boring tournament dominated by teams that are so afraid of losing ending up in defensive borefests (excluding Spain).

The seeding is frankly insane, and unless they change it, there remains the possibility that every tournament is somewhat affected by the (now defunct) UEFA Nations Coefficient rankings of October 2017.

It's then further compounded by the ranking of third place teams not extended to the first and second place teams from the group stage.

I only really watched the England games and they were dross. Also very disappointed that they were too cheap to do it in 4K. Frankly UEFA is a license to print money since they they get access to some of the world's best players more or less for nothing and countries are falling over themselves to host it. The fatcats who run have plenty of time to line their pockets but are too cheap to pay for 4K. Cnuts.

First few days were fantastic. Then England played their first match and everything went downhill from there outside of few unexpected group stage games here and there.

Football in general is much shitter to watch than it used to be. No surprises that international football isn’t immune to this.

Does anyone who was old enough to watch football from pre-2015 as an adult, enjoy it more than they used to? I’d be tempted to go back further than that but I don’t want people to think it’s linked to United winning things.

Overall the quality of play was very good, but the performances by England were horrendous relative to the talent in the squad. It’s the tragedy of his England were managed, or at least how the players played the game under Southgate, that will cast a long shadow over Euro 2024.

Hands down the worse international tournament I’ve ever watched. Three of the last four teams in the competition you wouldn’t pay to watch unless you supported them.
Anyone defending this tournament is bonkers. It was complete and utter shite for the most part. The second and third round of games in particular were some of the most horrific games of football I’ve seen at a major international tournament. (special mentions to England/Slovenia, Serbia/Denmark, Poland/France and Ukraine Belgium)

First round actually started alright….
The 24 team system is shite but it didn’t stop the last Euros being quite good.

The World cup in Qatar was bang average and for some reason so many people pretended it was amazing. And I feel people are doing it now.

So many teams just play this really risk adverse, low percentage, play through defence, zero flair style of football.

Hopefully the World Cup is better. The 48 team is mad but it might at least invite a few more African and South American sides who tend to play with a bit more flair and risk.

Gary Neville tells me every month how much faster the game is but this might actually be the slowest I’ve ever seen it.

I want to forget this Euro.I didn’t even bother watching the Final.

For me, the highlight was the save of the Turkish goalkeeper against Austria. That was the only moment that stick in my mind, but I understand that fans of England, for example, will remember the goal at the 96th minute, etc.

Bring the Olympics on.

Social politics aside, the World Cup was great.

Agreed. The world cup always delivers, but Qatar was one of the better ones when focusing only on the football. I hated that it was in the winter though. It would have been nice to enjoy the spectacle outdoors with other fans and beer.

Football in general is much shitter to watch than it used to be. No surprises that international football isn’t immune to this.

Does anyone who was old enough to watch football from pre-2015 as an adult, enjoy it more than they used to? I’d be tempted to go back further than that but I don’t want people to think it’s linked to United winning things.

Honesty I'd say up until 2010 football was more enjoyable, even international tournaments and random CL games..

It's been all downhill since then, Boring systems play and football by numbers etc, Spain possession style really sucked the life out the game after that. I'd love to blame it all on Pep, but football has become very risk averse across the board. Spain seem to have moved on while everyone else is still trying (badly) to catch up to where they were 10+ years ago.

Honesty I'd say up until 2010 football was more enjoyable, even international tournaments and random CL games. Boring systems play and football by numbers etc.

It's been all downhill since then, Spain possession style really sucked the life out the game after that. They seem to have moved on while everyone else is still trying to catch up to where they were 10+ years ago.
Yup. And it’s sad that 2010 was when I first got interested in football. I missed all the good stuff.

Watching Georgia was fun.

Austria and turkey nice and positive too.

I thought the Netherlands over performed looking at their squad

I dont think the football is the problem, its your age and how you perceive things the older you get. Getting genuinely childlike excitement from something is incredibly hard the older you get. Im in my 40s and I thought everything was ok, but I also figure that is nnot the players fault, that is my perception of things.

The 94 World cup in USA was by far my most exciting time watching football. I was also 12 years old.

Good tournament. I enjoyed watching Spain, Germany and some of the lower rated teams like Turkey and Slovakia. Looking forward to that Guardian cartoonists’ take on it all.

Spain clearly the best team and decent to watch. A few other big names looked good at times, but it was the energy of Turkey, Georgia, Austria and Switzerland that impressed me the most. Some of their games were very watchable.

Overall, a very forgettable tournament for me.

It was pretty poor. I watched a good 70% of the games and many of them were very boring. Easily the best team to watch won, though. They were deserved winners.

The World Cup had quite a few more entertaining games than we saw here.

The things is for me is there is nothing really remarkable to look back to..

No extreme surprises.. No players performances which will last for a lifetime.. No matches as spectacular which will last for a lifetime, No countries who really made a lasting impact (in a positive way) in terms of play, just one wondergoal for me, the one from Yamal..

The thing which sticks for me is the horrible waste of potential joy and pleasure by conservative managers as Southgate, Deschamps, Martinez and others..

Only Spain really excelled as a team and some individual performances, so the one positve take away for me that the way Spain presented themselves had been rewarded with the Championship... The one true winner..

On the whole, I thought it was dull. Seemed more interesting in the very early group stages, but seemed to run out of steam pretty quickly. I thought the general entertainment value across the tournament was pretty poor. Too pragmatic, too many teams not really 'going for it' and playing too conservatively, or not wanting to lose rather than striving for the win. From an attacking football perspective, it's one of my least favourite tournaments that I can remember. I'd be hard pressed to name any noteworthy strikers or any strikers you would put into that 'world class' bracket. Harry Kane finishing joint-top scorer with 3 goals just tells you what an underwhelming tournament it has been.

Enjoyed the first 2 matchdays and 1 or 2 games after that but was pretty poor.

I don't think the quality is very high on the pitch or with managers.

Good tournament. I enjoyed watching Spain, Germany and some of the lower rated teams like Turkey and Slovakia. Looking forward to that Guardian cartoonists’ take on it all.

Hope you like Simpsons, Father Ted and Jose references.

Maybe we’re just spoilt from the Premiership being so good.

LGF

Agreed. The world cup always delivers, but Qatar was one of the better ones when focusing only on the football. I hated that it was in the winter though. It would have been nice to enjoy the spectacle outdoors with other fans and beer.

I actually liked the winter world cup timing, made for a much more fun month of evening entertainment than the usual December. Whereas I ended up missing most of the half decent games of this Euros as they seemed to clash with the few actual summery evenings we've had :rolleyes:

Scotland were awful but I knew we would be. We peaked about a year ago and we're on a downward slump again. We won't make the World Cup and, when it comes to the Euros, we seem to be settling for a just happy to he there attitude.

That being said, watching England shit their way through their group, then shit their way through the knockout stages was agonising. The media bandwagon went into full overdrive, as '66 was shown in colour and all the other tropes were wheeled out. Football was coming home...
Then watching it crash and burn last night was absolutely delightful, a night to remember and made the whole tournament, if not all competitive sport, worthwhile.

Scotland were awful but I knew we would be. We peaked about a year ago and we're on a downward slump again. We won't make the World Cup and, when it comes to the Euros, we seem to be settling for a just happy to he there attitude.

That being said, watching England shit their way through their group, then shit their way through the knockout stages was agonising. The media bandwagon went into full overdrive, as '66 was shown in colour and all the other tropes were wheeled out. Football was coming home...
Then watching it crash and burn last night was absolutely delightful, a night to remember and made the whole tournament, if not all competitive sport, worthwhile.
I completely agree with you, especially about us (Scotland).

Yeah it wasn't great, but then I watched a few Copa games as well and developed a lot more appreciation for the Euros.

Players just play too many games these days in the top leagues and we've been in kind of a disappointing half decade or so where the number of superstars is seemingly at an all time low. Feels like some years ago basically every team in the Euros had at least one, if not two players who could decide a game on their own, with the big nations having 5 or 6 of em.