We need 3 new CMs. Who do we sign?

aeh1991

Thurham at £15m never that’s transfer market ridiculous values that never happen, last summer we were in at €40m and Nice wanted more?

https://thepeoplesperson.com/2023/0...rated-star-midfielder-khephren-thuram-261973/

Foffana is in his last year but I thought he was Milan bound already at €30m I’d rather have Angel Gomez at £17/18m
I don't know how reliable but Nice Matin (local newspaper from Nice) claims he's available for that amount. And I am not a fan of Fofana's anyway.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
we need so many players everywhere on the pitch. Club should be focusing on players with low release clauses/up and coming talent. Want to see zero big money signings this window and instead put our vast resources towards finding the next big players.
The next big players are big money signings.

Von Mistelroum

McTominay has a year left on his contract, he needs selling this summer.

What a bleak prediction.
I don't disagree, but we're skint and a lot of our players don't want to leave because they're on big contracts here. I think these situations together will leave us with little choice but to try to get by with some of the dross we currently have.

I think we'll sign a striker, left back, CM and CB.

I think we should sign a LW, CM x2, CB x2, striker and left back minimum.

JE-365

What about Ugarte.

Ever since Luis Enrique took in charged, he’s not getting enough regular games anymore. His fbref stats shows that he’s a ball winner who can play in possession based team. He’s still 23 years old and has talent. PSG paid €60m or £51m and his current wages is around €90k p/w. We might be able to sign him for similar price since he’s not a Enrique’s regular player anymore plus offering him a reasonable wages like £100k-£120k max or something. He was very promising in sporting and performed very well against the top teams with sporting.

Mainoo - Ugarte - Bruno

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How much are those three?
150,160 or £175m never going to happen we need a blend of pace, Physicality, stamina but we also need technical players, Rabiot on a free and any one of the above three with Angel Gomez at £20m would be a spend of £70-75m allowing us to improve the defence and the attack as well.
Who is your DCM? Rabiot?
Guarantee you that he would suffer the same fate as Casemiro if ETH is still there playing that midfield setup.

Woziak

Who is your DCM? Rabiot?
Guarantee you that he would suffer the same fate as Casemiro if ETH is still there playing that midfield setup.
Totally agree we need to play with a double pivot in PL and not burn out the youth players.

Bwuk

Gray playing very well for Leeds. Hopefully they lose the play off final.

Gray - Mainoo could be special.

Bwuk

I’d be very surprised if he came here regardless. Looks really promising though.
He's the next Declan Rice. I know he's played a lot at RB but he's a CDM.

Hopefully Southampton/WBA beat Leeds in the play off final.

FlawlessVictory88

Joao Neves looks superb and he's the same age as Mainoo, I'd pay his release clause and not think twice. I'd also try to take advantage of the current mess at Chelsea and pick up Gallagher. Mount can play as a 8 or wide left/right in a front 3, that's if he ever get's fit again.

fps

Two once we get the Gaitan deal over the line.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As a DM/Casemiro replacement I can’t look past Alan Varela. If I could I’d pay for Varela and Neves and bring Barkley in on a free.

If not Varela then the idea of Gray as a developmental project would not be bad either.

WouterWeghorst

Supports
Bald Managers
As a DM/Casemiro replacement I can’t look past Alan Varela. If I could I’d pay for Varela and Neves and bring Barkley in on a free.

If not Varela then the idea of Gray as a developmental project would not be bad either.
Varela is a great shout. Zubamendi also, albeit a slightly different profile. Barkley is more dribbling if I’m not mistaken, so again a slightly different profile to the other two. Also less defensive quality there. More like a backup/ alternative to mainoo?

kaku06

Vulgarian
Gray playing very well for Leeds. Hopefully they lose the play off final.

Gray - Mainoo could be special.
I’d be very surprised if he came here regardless. Looks really promising though.
Whoa! Just had a look how he plays this Gray lad for the first time and I’m sold. No, honestly he looks very promising indeed.
He's the next Declan Rice. I know he's played a lot at RB but he's a CDM.

Hopefully Southampton/WBA beat Leeds in the play off final.
Yeah I can see the similarities. He reminds me of Rice too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Varela is a great shout. Zubamendi also, albeit a slightly different profile. Barkley is more dribbling if I’m not mistaken, so again a slightly different profile to the other two. Also less defensive quality there. More like a backup/ alternative to mainoo?
We need 3 midfielders not 3 DMs, which would be overkill, so I think Barkley’s profile makes sense.

I like Zubimendi but Varela has far more mobility for me. I think he’s the closest thing to a younger Rodri on the market, who is good both on and off the ball.

Varela and Neves would cost us around 140m I suspect, but also come with quite moderate wages. Barkley and Adarabioyo for free would supplement our incomings, and there would still be plenty of room left after 140m to bring in another centre half and a forward, as we could make in and around 140m in sales alone, and even if not, we will make huge savings on just salary.

davidmichael

Same was said about Alan Smith who was a far bigger star and far bigger Leeds hero when he joined us, at the end of the day players want to earn the maximum amount of money and play on the biggest stage.

G-manc

Whoa! Just had a look how he plays this Gray lad for the first time and I’m sold. No, honestly he looks very promising indeed.

Yeah I can see the similarities. He reminds me of Rice too.
As previously mentioned, the Gray transfer will never happen due to his Leeds roots.

Leeds aren’t skint any more either - they don’t need to sell.

Woziak

I think we should be looking at Adam Wharton, northern lad he could be more like Declan than any other player and in 2 years might be £120m, say to Palace now we’ll give you £120m for Olise and Wharton and thrown in AWB so the deal looks like £140m

davidmichael

I think we should be looking at Adam Wharton, northern lad he could be more like Declan than any other player and in 2 years might be £120m, say to Palace now we’ll give you £120m for Olise and Wharton and thrown in AWB so the deal looks like £140m
I liked the look of Wharton when he was at Blackburn as well as Ashley Phillips who I think went to Spurs at the same time Wharton went to Palace, it drives me insane that we’re not in for these kind of signings anymore but it’s proof of how poor we’ve been run as we used to bring young players in full of potential and develop them.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Glasner wouldn't take AWB, complete misfit for his system.

NZT-One

We need 3 midfielders not 3 DMs, which would be overkill, so I think Barkley’s profile makes sense.

I like Zubimendi but Varela has far more mobility for me. I think he’s the closest thing to a younger Rodri on the market, who is good both on and off the ball.

Varela and Neves would cost us around 140m I suspect, but also come with quite moderate wages. Barkley and Adarabioyo for free would supplement our incomings, and there would still be plenty of room left after 140m to bring in another centre half and a forward, as we could make in and around 140m in sales alone, and even if not, we will make huge savings on just salary.
Haven't followed this thread too much but I'd be curious, who do you think will be starters next season and what kind of profiles would you look for (not in terms of skillset but in terms of squad standing, I'd assume Neves and Varela would both be starters so there could be conflicts with Mainoo and Bruno). Is your planning (3 new midfielders) based on Bruno not being a starter or not in the team at all?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Haven't followed this thread too much but I'd be curious, who do you think will be starters next season and what kind of profiles would you look for (not in terms of skillset but in terms of squad standing, I'd assume Neves and Varela would both be starters so there could be conflicts with Mainoo and Bruno). Is your planning (3 new midfielders) based on Bruno not being a starter or not in the team at all?
My longer term preference would be for 3 midfielders without playing a #10. As a result, my longer term midfield with the names given would be Varela/Neves/Mainoo.

Assuming Bruno is still here next season (I reckon that even if he is, it may well be his last one here), I see no issue with two teenage midfielders sharing minutes in the first team in Mainoo and Neves. So Varela/Teenager/Fernandes is fine for next season. The teenagers are adaptable too and can both play at least two of the three midfield roles. But a long term trio of Varela, Neves and Mainoo would be a fantastic midfield, and I think we should try and get both players this summer if we can.

Oranges038

Zubimeni - before Arsenal get him.
Wharton- the kid has quality and looks like he could be at least as good as Carrick
Wieffer - before Slot takes him to Liverpool

Sea-Cow

Is Carlos Baleba always as good as he was yesterday? Or was it just because he was going up against two of the slowest CMs in history?

RedRocket08

Varela is my guy as well, with someone like Zubi coming in also (2 quality DMs - they will rotate, but can start together in tough games). To that, we could add just 1 more quality CM to share minutes with Mainoo, with Case, Erikson, Sofyan all leaving. Not so sure where we'll end up with McTom, I'd probably like to sell him for PSR reasons, and I don't think we'll get another season like this from him when it comes to goal contributions - Nothing against Scott but I would rather we sell him for max value.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is Carlos Baleba always as good as he was yesterday? Or was it just because he was going up against two of the slowest CMs in history?
He’s a big talent. I mentioned him earlier in this thread too, but due to my #1 choice being Neves, I think another teenager to add to Mainoo may be a bit much.

Sea-Cow

He’s a big talent. I mentioned him earlier in this thread too, but due to my #1 choice being Neves, I think another teenager to add to Mainoo may be a bit much.
He looked really good yesterday but I am not sure how he looks when he is up against an actual competent system / team.

I have to remember that Wolves' Joao Gomes looked amazing in the first game this season, Wharton from Palace looked like a potential England regular, Douglas Luiz and John McGinn look like prime Keane and Butt, etc.

iHicksy

Joao Neves looks superb and he's the same age as Mainoo, I'd pay his release clause and not think twice. I'd also try to take advantage of the current mess at Chelsea and pick up Gallagher. Mount can play as a 8 or wide left/right in a front 3, that's if he ever get's fit again.
Never going to happen - he loves the club, he's rejected Spurs and newcastle advances to stay. He's the club captain and one of the first names on the team sheet.

NoPace

I think it was what Baleba is supposed to look like in a year or two (he turned 20 in January) but Brighton fans got to see it early because of the slowest CMs in history.

In any case, Brighton can keep him until at least 2026 then sell with 2 years left, so barring a 90M+ offer, he's probably staying.

Keiro

Wieffer
Rabiot
Thuram

Covers a lot of bases without too much expenditure. I’d also bring Angel Gomes back.