5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he was bad today but considering his abilities as a lone striker he should be definitely scoring more goals to warrant place up front. You could always rely on his goalscoring abilities but in last three games against good opposition he barely had shot on goal even though we as a team played two good games, and he scored just one goal in last five games and that was against Aston Villa at home even though he was our most forward player during that time. Recently, he is definitely far from player opposition defences are scared of.

To back up(sort of) my argument:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ster-United-s-striker-15-17-Old-Trafford.html

Bit shocking to read this. He definitely wasn't that impressive in front of goal this season apart from few games in the middle of season, which was actually when he played in midfield. It's bloody annoying because if there is something he is good at then it's scoring goals.

Ferguson thought he was finished in his final year, nothing has changed performance wise to prove him wrong. Grossly overpaid, ransomed the club at every opportunity and offers dross performances on a regular basis. Should've got shot of him two years ago, not made him captain and increase his wages.

To back up(sort of) my argument:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ster-United-s-striker-15-17-Old-Trafford.html

Bit shocking to read this. He definitely wasn't that impressive in front of goal this season apart from few games in the middle of season, which was actually when he played in midfield. It's bloody annoying because if there is something he is good at then it's scoring goals.

So he scores more goals at home - when the team has been playing well - than he has on the road, when the team has been playing crap.

Any other shocking revelations? Because those Daily Mail stats are positively mind-blowing.

Should be interesting if he misses a couple games and van Persie gets to play the lone center forward role.

Ferguson thought he was finished in his final year, nothing has changed performance wise to prove him wrong. Grossly overpaid, ransomed the club at every opportunity and offers dross performances on a regular basis. Should've got shot of him two years ago, not made him captain and increase his wages.
Geez, I thought that people would be giving him a rest after he showed himself to be by far our best striker this season (and the last one).

He's doing a fine job up top but I'd love for us to add a forward with genuine dynamism who can cause some fear among defenders. Rooney has become a very very dependable finisher now, but it would be nice to have someone up too who's a bit electric.

He's doing a fine job up top but I'd love for us to add a forward with genuine dynamism who can cause some fear among defenders. Rooney has become a very very dependable finisher now, but it would be nice to have someone up too who's a bit electric.

Problem with that is he is a genuine liability everywhere else and looks like he's undroppable for LvG. So whatever striker you get will have to be good with being 2nd choice atleast for the time being.

Problem with that is he is a genuine liability everywhere else and looks like he's undroppable for LvG. So whatever striker you get will have to be good with being 2nd choice atleast for the time being.
I dont think he's a genuine liability. When he plays badly he can be really awful, that's just Wayne Rooney and given he's up top, it's less hurtful to us than when he was q number 10.

In general I think he's doing well. The only issue for me is that he doesn't strike fear into defenders. He doesn't burn them with his pace or twist them with his dribbling. That "wow" factor when he's with got the ball at his feet is gone.

I still think he's fine as first choice but ideally I'd like us to get someone as second choice who has those attributes but not necessarily the dependability in front of goal that Rooney offers.

I dont think he's a genuine liability. When he plays badly he can be really awful, that's just Wayne Rooney and given he's up top, it's less hurtful to us than when he was q number 10.

In general I think he's doing well. The only issue for me is that he doesn't strike fear into defenders. He doesn't burn them with his pace or twist them with his dribbling. That "wow" factor when he's with got the ball at his feet is gone.

I still think he's fine as first choice but ideally I'd like us to get someone as second choice who has those attributes but not necessarily the dependability in front of goal that Rooney offers.
Like a wildcard sub that can just mix things up?

He didnt see much of the ball. Really dissappointed we couldnt create chances for him
I agree. He hasn't been dynamic enough but our players seem too occupied playing in triangles and Rooney is left without the ball.

So he scores more goals at home - when the team has been playing well - than he has on the road, when the team has been playing crap.

Any other shocking revelations? Because those Daily Mail stats are positively mind-blowing.

It's not about Daily Mail, it's about Rooney scoring just one goal away from home this season. Not that he scores more goals at home, he basically scores only at home this season.

You are making it sound like we are shit away from home all the time, just last game we outplayed and dominated best team in the league at their stadium, few weeks before we outplayed and dominated Liverpool on their pitch and Rooney was our worst player, so you could admit one time in your life that something could be Rooney's fault and not someone's else. When he is scoring he is getting credit for being great goalscorer, but when he isn't it's the team who is at fault. As I said, I know people see me here as Rooney hater, but I definitely rate his goalscoring abilities, I said that many times here and praised him for. One goal away from home all season for our supposedly "best striker by a mile" is definitely something to be worried about, even if he's played out of position many times. Coming into the next season with even older van Persie and Rooney who is still hit and miss as striker and fighting in both CL and Premierleague isn't something to rely on IMO, especially if our wide players aren't great goal threat either, and Young has scored just two goals this season.

You are making it sound like we are shit away from home all the time, just last game we outplayed and dominated best team in the league at their stadium, few weeks before we outplayed and dominated Liverpool on their pitch and Rooney was our worst player, so you could admit one time in your life that something could be Rooney's fault and not someone's else. When he is scoring he is getting credit for being great goalscorer, but when he isn't it's the team who is at fault. As I said, I know people see me here as Rooney hater, but I definitely rate his goalscoring abilities, I said that many times here and praised him for. One goal away from home all season for our supposedly "best striker by a mile" is definitely something to be worried about, even if he's played out of position many times. Coming into the next season with even older van Persie and Rooney who is still hit and miss as striker and fighting in both CL and Premierleague isn't something to rely on IMO, especially if our wide players aren't great goal threat either, and Young has scored just two goals this season.

We are shit away from home. Have been all season. It's been a major and obvious problem. Two recent good performances doesn't change that fact.

If you want something to worry about, look at our away form here and (just for a week) take a break from slagging Rooney off. We've accumulated just 4 points more on the road than the team with the second worst record in the whole league.

Last edited:
We are shit away from home. Have been all season. It's been a major and obvious problem. Two recent good performances doesn't change that fact.

If you want something to worry about, look at our away form here and (just for a week) take a break from slagging Rooney off. We've accumulated just 4 points more on the road than the team with the second worst record in the whole league.

No one is really that great away from home, just that teams like Chelsea get the results by scrappy goal or two, something we are missing.
It's really not that big difference between the 5th and 10th place in that table. Rooney scoring against Chelsea(or anyone else away from home) could win us that game and we would be fifth in that table.
Look at City, they are even worse than us and yet Aguero is scoring quite often for them away from home. Proven world class strikers tend to score goals even when their team aren't playing that great.

And I actually praised Rooney just last week when majority here criticized him, I also said yesterday in the post before you quoted that I don't think he was bad as (again) majority was saying.

It's really not that big difference between the 5th and 10th place in that table. Rooney scoring against Chelsea(or anyone else away from home) could win us that game and we would be fifth in that table.
Look at City, they are even worse than us and yet Aguero is scoring quite often for them away from home. Proven world class strikers tend to score goals even when their team aren't playing that great.

And I actually praised Rooney just last week when majority here criticized him, I also said yesterday in the post before you quoted that I don't think he was bad as (again) majority was saying.

Aguero's record away from home has been consistently bad since he signed for City. His decent away record this season is as much of an aberration as Rooney's poor record on the road.

On anything other than the midfield the great man sure knew a thing or two about football.

Aguero's record away from home has been consistently bad since he signed for City. His decent away record this season is as much of an aberration as Rooney's poor record on the road.

It's not decent, it's excellent - he has scored 11 away goals this season. Last season he spent around 1/3 of the season injured and he still scored 7 away goals. Season before that was bit worse but still he wasn't that bad, total of 5 away goals but he scored just 12 goals in total anyway, and pretty much every one of those away goals was in games they won just by one goal, so he pretty much had 5 away winners last season. 7 goals in his first season at City, that's not bad either.
So, out of 73 league goals he scored for City, 30 were away from home, and that's bad for you but you are fine with Rooney's away record this season?

You are beyond delusional.

Not really. How many times did he get the ball in dangerous positions? Hardly any. He wasn't great but Herrera and blind and Mata did very poor in a creative sense. Also the crosses were mainly shot all game too.

I think the striker position at United is one of the least worries at the moment.

I joined the café because I was really frustrated with our situation at that time. Moyes was in charge and he made Rooney his main man. I said then that I was willing to wait out both of them because I knew we would never win anything with that set up. Rooney is an untouchable and his fan base is so great and somewhat blinded by their devotion that unfortunately even under LVG our situation remains the same. Mata has now become a favourite as he links up better with Rooney than anyone else, however, Mata is incredibly uncreative. People will argue using stats well how about just actually watching their entire performances on a game by game basis. Putting the ball in the net is what this game is ultimately all bout, however, technical ability is what allows players to shine above their peers and results in team success. We have won when we had such players playing a major role in our team.
Rooney is a hard-working passionate player and self-sacrifices thus he is popular with fans and other managers but he can not, has not and will not lead us to victory.

Geez, I thought that people would be giving him a rest after he showed himself to be by far our best striker this season (and the last one).
He's the best striker in the last two season for United, but that doesn't mean much, does it? You and I know we need a better striker.

:lol: It's always someone else's fault isn't it.

"our players are too focused on passing it and don't find him in dangerous positions"

"when he doesn't score it's because the team isn't playing well"

"silent domination"

Has been anonymous for a good run of games now. For me our strikers don't do enough to move defenders around. They're always receiving the ball with their back to goal and end up being instantly dispossessed because of how tightly marked they are. Against Everton who defended so deep and packed, the lack of midfielders who were willing to make runs into the channel didn't help with this. Rooney looks more like a pivot now than the pacey bulldog he was when he was younger; receives the ball, looks for a pass to an advancing option. We need an Aguero or Suarez.

The Mirror suggesting that he's out for the rest of the season. Shame that he's likely to miss the Arsenal game in particular.

It's not decent, it's excellent - he has scored 11 away goals this season. Last season he spent around 1/3 of the season injured and he still scored 7 away goals. Season before that was bit worse but still he wasn't that bad, total of 5 away goals but he scored just 12 goals in total anyway, and pretty much every one of those away goals was in games they won just by one goal, so he pretty much had 5 away winners last season. 7 goals in his first season at City, that's not bad either.
So, out of 73 league goals he scored for City, 30 were away from home, and that's bad for you but you are fine with Rooney's away record this season?

Yes, that is bad for me. Up until this season. As I already said.

:lol: It's always someone else's fault isn't it.

"our players are too focused on passing it and don't find him in dangerous positions"

"when he doesn't score it's because the team isn't playing well"

"silent domination"

Has been anonymous for a good run of games now. For me our strikers don't do enough to move defenders around. They're always receiving the ball with their back to goal and end up being instantly dispossessed because of how tightly marked they are. Against Everton who defended so deep and packed, the lack of midfielders who were willing to make runs into the channel didn't help with this. Rooney looks more like a pivot now than the pacey bulldog he was when he was younger; receives the ball, looks for a pass to an advancing option. We need an Aguero or Suarez.

That was my absolute favorite. In a game where he had some horrendous touches and struggled throughout, the great Carra-Neville analysis team declared it ""Silent Domination". Some of the shit these pundits come up with is hilarious. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.