View full 2023-24 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Tinúviel

Can't really fault him for wanting to move up the pyramid. He is wasted in a mid table club like us unfortunately. Sad to see him leave and shites like Maguire stay :(

Djemba-Djemba

Just saw a tweet that he might be put on the transfer list. Another one of the old survivors leaving.

Decent player at times and i think he'd do well in a different league with a moderately big club but I don't have many fond memories of his seven years here. Not many bad ones either, just...uninspiring!
Aye.

Just a very average footballer. He's had games where he's been very good and games where he's been very bad but mostly it's just been mediocre. Should never have managed to eke out 7 years at the club.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Finally my 7 year battle may be coming to an end
One of my pet peeves on RedCafe is that some posters take their negativity for a single player so far, they take schadenfreude from a defeat if that player played. (See the threads for Rashford, Bruno in particular)

It has taken all of my strength to not become one of those people for Lindelof... however this is the first summer where I'd honestly consider it a mistake if he were sold.

I can't believe I just said that.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Can't really fault him for wanting to move up the pyramid. He is wasted in a mid table club like us unfortunately. Sad to see him leave and shites like Maguire stay :(
I'll bite. During the 7 years he has been here, the lowest position we have finished is 6th. He is also distinctly average and would struggle to start for an actual mid table team like Fulham.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
One of my pet peeves on RedCafe is that some posters take their negativity for a single player so far, they take schadenfreude from a defeat if that player played. (See the threads for Rashford, Bruno in particular)

It has taken all of my strength to not become one of those people for Lindelof... however this is the first summer where I'd honestly consider it a mistake if he were sold.

Me either. Don’t say it out loud 3 times

mikeyt

Has been a decent servant here, not a particularly good player but has been happy to be a squad player. Not good enough and at his age it's smart to move him on and take any form of fee we can get. Just need Maguire to do one now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Has been a decent servant here, not a particularly good player but has been happy to be a squad player. Not good enough and at his age it's smart to move him on and take any form of fee we can get. Just need Maguire to do one now.
I find your post a bit contradictory. On one hand you say he’s been a good servant but on the other not a particularly good player.

I mean I could be a very good servant but I wouldn’t be a particularly good player

Red Royal

Decent squad player and if he had stayed fit this year would have got a lot of minutes and perhaps we would have avoided the Casimero cb car crash.
Any decent offer let him go, Kambwala can be his squad replacement.

Smores

I expect we'll sell two of Maguire, Varane, Lindelof so it'll depend on offers we receive. I think I'd prefer to keep Lindelof over the others though.

El Jefe

I don’t think any player represents the drop in standards of this club post SAF more than Lindelof.

He’s been here for seven seasons, just think about it that’s longer than Yorke and Van Nistelrooy and about the same as Cole and Nani.

Since day one he hasn’t been good enough but he’s survived year after year because he keeps his head down, stays out of the way and is mostly fit. In terms of actual defending, he’s the first defender I’ve ever seen at the club that strikers know they are in for a peaceful game. Feck tackling and being physical he will put his hands behind his back and usher the attacker to where they want to go in the hope they miss the target.

We were sold dreams of him being the iceman when he joined when he’s actually very lukewarm. Everything he does is so average and timid.

I’d have gotten rid after his first season when he got bullied more than I’ve ever seen a CB for us.

Bwuk

If he goes to a slower league and less physical I imagine he’ll do well. Think he could do well in Italy,

Varun1

I expect we'll sell two of Maguire, Varane, Lindelof so it'll depend on offers we receive. I think I'd prefer to keep Lindelof over the others though.
Varane's contract is expiring at the end of the season.

Irwin99

I find your post a bit contradictory. On one hand you say he’s been a good servant but on the other not a particularly good player.

I mean I could be a very good servant but I wouldn’t be a particularly good player
I think we can sometimes acknowledge that a player just isn't at the right level but they 'do their best' as wrong and as inadequate as that sounds- and i know it sounds bad :D . Over the years I've actually had some fondness for players like Valencia, Fred, Herrera who I know weren't the best but i never for once thought they gave anything less than 100% which is the minimum, whereas i have felt annoyance and even dislike for the likes Pogba, Lingard, Di Maria, Shaw, and Martial because they were/are so damn unreliable or annoying.

criticalanalysis

Don't give in now! It depends on a lot of factors of course but it's one of the best times to get rid.

His contract ends next year, his best 'ability' aka 'being available' is reducing year by year (because his back is hurting from backtracking all these years), he's on good wages that can be given to somebody younger and he's a thoroughly below average player.

The only reason for keeping him is 'stability' because you'd think 'oh we're getting rid of Maguire/Varane and probably other players, so you know, we need some experience and someone who's available' but it doesn't make any sense because this summer is likely going to be a big clear out for manager and players anyways. Keeping him on only to lose him to a free next year or worse extend his contract is idiotic simply to say 'we have a mediocre ageing defender, who can maybe fill in'.

Sell him now for sub £5m or whatever and give his wages to someone like Tosin Adarabioyo, who we can sign on a free. Profit + better, younger and more useful defender. Probably helps with FFP too. It makes too much sense.

Whatever happens with Maguire/Varane will require a separate strategy i.e move on and buy better, fitter defenders.