US war on terror has killed 500,000 people in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq

Contributed: yes; Created: no. And I’m not moving from that.

There was a great deal of screwing the place up done by us (mainly after WW2) and by countries other than us (mainly after WW1). A great deal of things contributed to the beginning of this war, just like a great many combatants contributed to the deaths referenced in the OP.

Yes other people contributed (which is why I made sure I mentioned the UK (and should have included France too), but it wasn't just the period after WW1 and WW2, this shit continued right up until 9/11. We have literally never stopped fecking with the ME from back then right up until today. Their lives have mattered nothing to our (democratically elected) governments, to the point where 3000 dead Americans was seen as more than enough justification for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people.

Terrorists blowing up a tower is considered the worst atrocity in modern times, but killing tens of thousands of innocent people is considered 'collateral damage' and the other sides fault for not standing nicely out in a field ready to be neatly killed.

If we don't start understanding why this shit actually started, then we're sure as hell never going to find a way to stop it.

Yes other people contributed (which is why I made sure I mentioned the UK (and should have included France too), but it wasn't just the period after WW1 and WW2, this shit continued right up until 9/11. We have literally never stopped fecking with the ME from back then right up until today. Their lives have mattered nothing to our (democratically elected) governments, to the point where 3000 dead Americans was seen as more than enough justification for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people.

Terrorists blowing up a tower is considered the worst atrocity in modern times, but killing tens of thousands of innocent people is considered 'collateral damage' and the other sides fault for not standing nicely out in a field ready to be neatly killed.

If we don't start understanding why this shit actually started, then we're sure as hell never going to find a way to stop it.
I’m not arguing that we didn’t contribute all the way up to when the event happened. The post you quoted from me originally was in response to a post saying the US is “fighting a war, it itself created”. The reality is that we will eventually be wading through the Crusades and still not be done talking about things that have contributed to this war. Because of that, it is highly over-simplistic to just say “the US created the war”. Blame is shared by many for this.

I’m not arguing that we didn’t contribute all the way up to when the event happened. The post you quoted from me originally was in response to a post saying the US is “fighting a war, it itself created”. The reality is that we will eventually be wading through the Crusades and still not be done talking about things that have contributed to this war. Because of that, it is highly over-simplistic to just say “the US created the war”. Blame is shared by many for this.
The US does have a habit of conjuring up wars against intangible entities. The war on drugs, the war on terror. Neither of them have any feasible end game. They’re just being used as hollow pretenses to facilitate regime change and impose regional hegemony.

The US does have a habit of conjuring up wars against intangible entities. The war on drugs, the war on terror. Neither of them have any feasible end game. They’re just being used as hollow pretenses to facilitate regime change and impose regional hegemony.
As I’ve said before, if we’re talking Iraq ‘03, then I agree with you.

For example, the U.S. has killed at least 66 civilians, 31 of them children, in the unsuccessful hunt for one man, Qassim al-Rimi, one of AQAP’s founders who in 2015 succeeded al-Wahishi as the group’s chief.

Those deaths came in two raids reportedly targeting al-Rimi. The first was in 2009 in the southern village of al-Majalah. The second came on Jan 27, 2017, only days after Trump’s inauguration, in a U.S. special forces assault on a village in Bayda province.

The civilian deaths come in a war conducted from a vast distance.

Drone pilots work remotely at American bases, most often in the U.S., sometimes on 11- to 14-hour shifts housed in rooms like shipping containers lined with electronics. They operate based on intelligence from informants but they also carry out so-called “signature strikes,” based on observing suspicious patterns of behavior. They have a list of characteristics, and if a subject on the ground shows a number of them, he could be targeted, a former participant to the drone program told the AP, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss the operations.

Mistakes happen from bad intel or misjudging behavior, he said. Rights groups have expressed concern that some of the intelligence may come from prisoners held in jails run by Emirati-backed militias where torture is widespread.

Some of the strikes from 2018 that the AP examined appeared to be mistakes.

On Jan. 1, a drone missile slammed into a farm in Bayda province where 70-year-old Mohammed Mansar Abu Sarima sat with a younger relative, killing both, according to a relative, Mohammed Abu Sarima.

The slain men had just returned from mediating a local dispute. In a country where tribal links are powerful and the justice system nearly non-existent, such mediations are common to resolve conflicts over land or deaths. They involve large gatherings of tribesmen who are often armed, potentially raising drone operators’ suspicions.

“We don’t have any affiliation. They are simple farmers who don’t know how to read or write,” said the brother. “We live in fear. Drones don’t leave the sky.”

Several weeks later, a 14-year-old shepherd, Yahia al-Hassbi, was struck by a drone as he tended goats several kilometers (miles) from a checkpoint that al-Qaida had tried recently to seize. He was killed along with a construction worker passing by at the time, according to relatives and three local human rights workers, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.

Further east, in Hadramawt province, drones carried out several consecutive days of strikes in March, targeting vehicles on a main highway. Some of the strikes killed al-Qaida militants, according to rights activists in the area.

But others struck down cars carrying people who had fled to the area from a nearby province, Jawf, to escape fighting. A drone’s missile on March 5 killed a 10-year-old boy, Ammer al-Mahshami, and wounded the driver, according to three relatives. Four days later, another car was hit, killing six men and boys, including a 14-year-old and an 18-year-old, travelling to a funeral.

Saleh al-Wahir, the brother of one of the dead, was in a car behind them. “I saw it before my eyes,” he said of the blast. “Bodies were ripped apart.” A report from the Jawf Human Rights office concluded the men were civilians.

Nothing but terrorists.

The americans never asked why them? Why does this terrorist hates the us so much? The real issue of terrorism isnt properly identified let alone addressed imo.

It's because, it's better to demonize than it is to actually look at the causes. You never want to humanize the enemy because if popular support wavers, you've lost.

The other issue is, conflating all acts of violence against the USA or an occupying force, as "terrorism". Overseas, I'd even say that the US is rarely ever even the target of "terrorism". Here are two examples.

A truck bomb drives into a military check point and explodes. Is this terrorism? No. It's a legitimate military target. To us its a radical and nasty tactic, but, it is a legitimate tactic.

A truck bomb drives into a packed open air market and explodes. Is this terrorism? Yes. It absolutely is.

Yet, both of these cases will be labeled as the same by mass media. Why? Considering the attack on a military check point a legitimate military target, opens a line of questioning regarding, "why was it a legitimate target?" The other issue here is, often times the guys behind blowing up the military check point, are also behind attacking civilian markets. So it becomes easy to say, terrorists attacked us, and the automatic progression is then, it was a terrorist attack. HOWEVER, at the same time, especially in Iraq, you had multiple different conflicts going on, all lumped together as terrorism. You had a sectarian religious war. You had general banditry and chaos. You had a political civil war. You had an anti-coalition insurgency. In the messiness of all that, yes, lines were blurred. Sometimes the sectarians were involved in banditry, or insurgency, and sometimes the political combatants were involved in other things. However, most of this was all lumped under "terrorism".

At this point, I think we have to come to the conclusion that, the powers that be in the west, don't really want to solve this issue. Low intensity conflicts, which these all are, are not damaging enough to be bad for business. In fact, they are good for business. So, at the individual level, people might find the entire thing disgusting and any number of people can identify why this is happening, and how we could go about fixing it. At the institutional level, be it government, or defense contractors, nobody gives a feck. It's mostly not their kids. It's not their country. Rolling weapons off the assembly lines and keeping military bases open is good for their check books, and their constituents.

Not just that but also to fund the military-industrial complex at home and erode civil rights and usher in more authoritarian regulations, arm the police, erode privacy protections and keep people afraid for no good reason.

The US has been on perpetual war-footing since 1945.

I heard a bit on the news about the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and how fun it is but then they ended by talking about the massive security presence including something called a long-weapons unit, anti-radiation detection, and all sorts of other stuff....for a parade. Who the feck wants to live like this?