US Politics

Absolutely disagree with this. It’s not at all the job of a journalist to only give half the story and put politicians on the spot to correct what they must know is disingenous at best and a bare faced lie at worst. It’s not ‘selling’ a policy to report on both the good and the bad, there are plenty of genuine areas in question that the politicians could be quizzed about. By presenting only costs the journalist is starting out in opposition to the policy (and by extension selling his viewers on that opposition, and unless the politician manages to correct the ommision effectively the viewer comes away with a false impression of the policy. Since when is lying to viewers a journalists job?

Its not their job to give a quarter, half or otherwise of the story. They are supposed to act as a check on political power which involves challenging guests to answer straight forward questions people may have about their policy positions. It wasn't Tapper's job to gleefully capitulate to pro-single payer talking points by having a casual chat with Ocasio about how awesome single pay would be if it was implemented. He is supposed to ask how she would overcome basic roadblocks of implementing such a policy. It is then her job to explain why she thinks he is mistaken and what the actual facts are according to her own approach. He lived up to his end of the bargain by asking the same old question every single payer advocate gets asked and she couldn't answer it with any credible detail.

Its not their job to give a quarter, half or otherwise of the story. They are supposed to act as a check on political power which involves challenging guests to answer straight forward questions people may have about their policy positions. It wasn't Tapper's job to gleefully capitulate to pro-single payer talking points by having a casual chat with Ocasio about how awesome single pay would be if it was implemented. He is supposed to ask how she would overcome basic roadblocks of implementing such a policy. It is then her job to explain why she thinks he is mistaken and what the actual facts are according to her own approach. He lived up to his end of the bargain by asking the same old question every single payer advocate gets asked and she couldn't answer it with any credible detail.

He wasn’t asking her about basic roadblocks, he was deliberately ignoring a major part of the policy and allowing his viewers to come away misinformed if she failed to correct them. It is absolutely his job to inform viewers, not to mislead them.

As I said, there are plenty of tough questions that could be asked including about funding that don’t involve deliberate deception.

He certainly was not acting as a check on anyone.

He simply was either being completely disingenous or or a useless journalist. I think both as he is a corporate shill.

He wasn’t asking her about basic roadblocks, he was deliberately ignoring a major part of the policy and allowing his viewers to come away misinformed if she failed to correct them. It is absolutely his job to inform viewers, not to mislead them.

As I said, there are plenty of tough questions that could be asked including about funding that don’t involve deliberate deception.

Then why didn't she "correct him" ? He allowed her to ramble extensively about whatever she wanted to say and she couldn't muster up a cogent response to his question.

Then why didn't she "correct him" ? He allowed her to ramble extensively about whatever she wanted to say and she couldn't muster up a cogent response to his question.

So the viewers go away misinformed. Is that Tapper doing his job?

He certainly was not acting as a check on anyone.

He simply was either being completely disingenous or or a useless journalist. I think both as he is a corporate shill.

This is the RAWKish type response conservatives have been puking up for years because the so-called "liberal media" refused to frame narratives the way they wanted to. That's not how it works I'm afraid. If you only want propaganda and pure advocacy then check out TYT or Democracy Now.

This is the RAWKish type responses conservative have been puking up for years because the so-called "liberal media" refused to frame narratives the way they wanted to. That's not how it works I'm afraid. If you only want propaganda and pure advocacy then check out TYT or Democracy Now.

you mean you don't understand what a journalist is?

So the viewers go away misinformed. Is that Tapper doing his job?

It's not his job to untangle her inability to make her own case. He asked the questions and she failed to recalibrate the framing to advance her own case. Compare that to Sanders for example, who did a great job of setting things straight.

I'm fully aware what it is. I just don't get all butt hurt about things when my favorite cause isn't framed the way I'd like it to be when it gets challenged.

For gods sake man.

Hurt? what ? Because he was mean to litte Occasio?

Here is is a simple definition of what a Journalist is.

The journalist places the public good above all else and uses certain methods – the foundation of which is a discipline of verification – to gather and assess what he or she finds.

Ok so you've dropped the hyperbole. Explain to how California dems can give us UHC by dropping train funding.

Again I think you misunderstand. Jerry Brown has no will to even try to create a universal healthcare solution. He has focused a tremendous amount of time and energy focusing on his fossil fuel burning train project.

A hypothetical different governor in 2010 might have spent his time and energy on a state wide universal health care solution

Again I think you misunderstand. Jerry Brown has no will to even try to create a universal healthcare solution. He has focused a tremendous amount of time and energy focusing on his fossil fuel burning train project.

A hypothetical different governor in 2010 might have spent his time and energy on a state wide universal health care solution

I'm curious how he would've raised the extra 400billion per year without getting voted out due to raising taxes too much

In 2010? Do you recall what the economy was like then?

Medicare is part of Payroll Taxes.
To fund medicare for all would involve Raising the Medicare portion which is funded by both Employer and Employee.

The Contra for these taxes would be that Employers do not have to provide Health Insurance and Employees would not have to purchase health Insurance.

But if we believe Health Care is a Fundamental Right then the discussion goes beyond the monetary discussion.

Of course there need to be rules and the implementation will not be a simple switch.

But as we know there needs to be a Will in the Legislature.

It's not his job to untangle her inability to make her own case. He asked the questions and she failed to recalibrate the framing to advance her own case. Compare that to Sanders for example, who did a great job of setting things straight.

He didn’t just ask questions, he posed a deliberately misleading set of figures and allowed his viewers to believe them if his guest failed to fully correct them. His viewers literally came away less informed than they started, because he chose to play ‘gotcha!’ over trying to inform the audience.

He didn’t just ask questions, he posed a deliberately misleading set of figures and allowed his viewers to believe them if his guest failed to fully correct them. His viewers literally came away less informed than they started, because he chose to play ‘gotcha!’ over trying to inform the audience.

in a nutshell.

I don't think he is incompetent tbh.

he is simply a corporate shill.

Ie. Not a journalist.

This is good news

A punch in the gut to the right wing dark money crowd. Probably wouldn't have happened if Kavanuagh was on the bench.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/18/6487...-dark-money-as-new-report-unveils-some-donors

The top four spenders identified by Issue One are the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the mainstream conservative Crossroads GPS, the Koch network's Americans for Prosperity and the National Rifle Association. Issue One says that collectively, the four groups pumped at least $357 million into elections between 2010 and 2016.

Why didn't she correct him ?

Thread:

"Reminders to everyone to be very, very vigilant w/r/t confidentiality on all issues and all fronts, including with spouses."

Completely normal behaviour.