United's Medical Department

The manager is the manager. Day to day training is done by coaches
ETH is one of the coaches and it's actually demonstrable by video and pictures that ETH takes part and heads training sessions

Coaches run day to day training especially at a club like United were the manager is often entangled in many other issues (PR, marketing, etc). This year we had changed the entire coaching staff with basically former managers themselves. I can't see how on earth ETH can be blamed for this.
To be fair, ETH is the manager/head coach and he is the one approving all the training program. He also needs to liaise closely with medical, fitness, sport science department to prevent injuries. Finally, he is the one responsible to play the player, implement more rotation and effective use of entire squad to prevent injury. So his responsibilities are very high.

Still fully believe ETH and the coaches are far more at fault than the medical team. People trying to scapegoat the medical team but they're only responsible for recovery. The sports scientists and coaches are the ones tasked with prevention. ETH's training sessions are too intense imo.

If that is what was causing the injuries last season as I suspect, it will be the same situation this season. Telling that Yoro had never had any injury problems before joining and is already injured. People can try blaming a pitch all they want, but far more likely this injury started in training.
Agreed.

This really is bizarre. You think Ten Hag is sat in his office doing paperwork while the players are out on the training pitch with the coaches?

He will come with a general Training plan after receiving huge feedback from coaches, fitness people, the medical staff and the players themselves. However individual training is implemented and monitored by the coaches + assistants. We now have an army of those

This really is bizarre. You think Ten Hag is sat in his office doing paperwork while the players are out on the training pitch with the coaches?
The coaches run the coaching. The manager observes it and tweets it will the coaches if he feels it's necessary.

You cannot observe the players if you're running the drills.

The coaches run the coaching. The manager observes it and tweets it will the coaches if he feels it's necessary.

You cannot observe the players if you're running the drills.
We're talking about the context of the possibility of training contributing to our injury issues.

Ten Hag is in charge of the players and the coaches. If his team can't find a way to keep his players fit after 2 years it's on him.

Id love to hear Ten Hag say "actually our players maybe poorly coached from a tactical and fitness perspective but I'm only observing the sessions so it's nothing to do with me really".

"Anyone who thinks injuries are the fault of one physio or one doctor doesn't understand anything about the mechanics of the body, load and even not getting into technical details, how much time and effort the conditioning staff put into helping players be in the best possible shape. They spent more time doing that than with their families."
Skysports latest article from Melissa Reddy.
Yup, our physios read the CAF body conditioning experts
:lol:

I feel like Ten Hag is overtraining them. & it wouldn't surprise me because Ten Hag was originally an assistant manager & Ratcliffe himself called him a 'good coach' rather than actually a good manager.

Subtle difference but it's how i see Ten Hag, more of a coach that is very beneficial for young players than actually having a very good managerial capacity.

A lot of our players look exhausted under him especially the 2nd half of the seasons. Work rate looks low on a lot of players almost like they have no energy left in the tank than actually being lazy. It's hard to tell the difference.

I wouldn't be surprised when Ten Hag does leave one day that our injury issues would ease out & we might even see an increase in squad work rate.

This is maybe why he has such adherence for the players he has already coached or kept a close eye on previously because he knows that players like Antony, Hojlund, Mount, Onana, Martinez, Mazroui, Eriksen, Amrabat, De jong, De Ligt, Malacia are hard workers with good mental ability more accustomed to his coaching style rather than actually looking at players from a more managerial or tactical perspective.

Medical? Sport Science? Fitness? Nutrition? Squad Rotation? Injury prevention? And whatnot.

Someone higher up in the football structure need to look into these departments to revamp/improve. We can't keep having injury crisis every season.

We can't keep blaming bad luck. There is something wrong somewhere. Get the expert to review the entire set up.

Last edited:

I haven't been in gym for years, but whenever I watch videos of our player training there are some questionable things I notice them doing and spending lot of time on some average machine(not just under Ten Hag's team, it was like that before too), at least from my basic knowledge about it(especially footballer gym). I remember Rio saying they ate pasta few hours regulary before the games under Fergie, and that was quite laughable actually.

Anyone with decent football training knowledge can explain us how good these machines are from these two videos?

From what I know leg press are quite bad for footballers, and there are far better chest excersises than that machine they are using constantly, but maybe my knowledge is outdated?

I haven't been in gym for years, but whenever I watch videos of our player training there are some questionable things I notice them doing and spending lot of time on some average machine(not just under Ten Hag's team, it was like that before too), at least from my basic knowledge about it(especially footballer gym). I remember Rio saying they ate pasta few hours regulary before the games under Fergie, and that was quite laughable actually.

Anyone with decent football training knowledge can explain us how good these machines are from these two videos?

From what I know leg press are quite bad for footballers, and there are far better chest excersises than that machine they are using constantly, but maybe my knowledge is outdated?

One thing I can almost guarantee is that United's training methods, equipment, and science behind it would be miles more advanced than what any random joe on these parts will be able to consult on, even if considered poor in comparison to that of other high level sporting institutions.

As far as I know they weren’t doing any leg or chest exercise, those were machines measuring some max. levels.

It’s not like they were doing dozens of repetition in them, more like one push to give the staff data about their current strength levels. So that they can compare the results to what they were a year ago and know what they should focus on with that individual player.

One thing I can almost guarantee is that United's training methods, equipment, and science behind it would be miles more advanced than what any random joe on these parts will be able to consult on, even if considered poor in comparison to that of other high level sporting institutions.

You would think so, but I am pretty Ronaldo and some others laughed at our training facilities.

As far as I know they weren’t doing any leg or chest exercise, those were machines measuring some max. levels.

It’s not like they were doing dozens of repetition in them, more like one push to give the staff data about their current strength levels. So that they can compare the results to what they were a year ago and know what they should focus on with that individual player.

Bruno counted to 100(he was warming up probably though), so I am really not sure.

You would think so, but I am pretty Ronaldo and some others laughed at our training facilities.

Bruno counted to 100(he was warming up probably though), so I am really not sure.
Think Bruno was joking, like Ron Burgundy doing bicep curls in Anchorman.

No idea why people are looking at these vids as if they’re indicative of any kind of hard training. We see warm up stuff, Martinez getting his leg drive tested, and some standing jump tests.

The Carrington being rubbish thing has become so overblown. It’s current state is 10 years old (for reference the majority of City’s much praised campus is 1 year younger). Carrington is also getting an additional £50m now from Jim. There’s not going to be a shortage of elite gym equipment there, you can deck out a massive gym with eleiko stuff, as an example, for a few hundred grand max.

So some of you believe ETH is letting the coaches do as they please? Everything they do comes from him, and he's always literally on the pitch as well.

Medical? Sport Science? Fitness? Nutrition? Squad Rotation? Injury prevention? And whatnot.

Someone higher up in the football structure need to look into these departments to revamp/improve. We can't keep having injury crisis every season.

We can't keep blaming bad luck. There is something wrong somewhere. Get the expert to review the entire set up.
Im pretty sure that’s exactly what INEOS have been doing. We’ve seen multiple staff turnover, and a massive 50m investment into an already excellent training facility, which will make it state of the art once again.

Change takes time. It’s not going to happen overnight.

Need to sack that Arsenal fella. He's the cause. I know it. Arsenal are widely known for their insane injuries and yet they had a great run last season ever since he left. Coincidence? I think not. God damn O Driscolls at it again.

Confirmed by the Athletic that the club knew Yoro had a potential metatarsal issue in his foot when he signed. With this in mind whoever made the decision to start Yoro in those pre-season games deserves criticism.

Also negates all those claiming it was an impact injury and pure luck. No, it was an aggravation of a pre-existing injury which then required surgery as a result.

Confirmed by the Athletic that the club knew Yoro had a potential metatarsal issue in his foot when he signed. With this in mind whoever made the decision to start Yoro in those pre-season games deserves criticism.

Also negates all those claiming it was an impact injury and pure luck. No, it was an aggravation of a pre-existing injury which then required surgery as a result.

I remember arguing with few people over this case and people convincing me it was jure pure luck and laughed because I suggested this could be on our medical/coaching team, same as it was with Martinez.

If the reports were true, someone really need to investigate what went wrong and implement preventive measures for future. We need to stop our annual injury crisis.

The story doesn’t make sense to me and I feel Whitwell does this a lot, finding the touch points of United fans and then writing stories that have no source and, when you think about it, seem downright unbelievable. Either United missed the fracture on the scan (that’s not what is being reported but could happen I guess) or they saw it and then decided he could recover naturally? Which seems to be what is implied and seems highly unlikely to me. It’s not like they could look at an image and say ‘that’s not fractured but it think it will fracture’.

The medical department has just had an overhaul. Its too easy to blame the medical staff when the players themselves are doing their recovery work as highlighted in todays interesting article about behind the scenes at Utd in The Athletic.

Remember how giggs, Rio etc said yoga helped to extend their careers and reduce injuries. All of that is part of recovery work post match and training. If players arent doing what the medical staff tell them then what do you expect?

The story doesn’t make sense to me and I feel Whitwell does this a lot, finding the touch points of United fans and then writing stories that have no source and, when you think about it, seem downright unbelievable. Either United missed the fracture on the scan (that’s not what is being reported but could happen I guess) or they saw it and then decided he could recover naturally? Which seems to be what is implied and seems highly unlikely to me. It’s not like they could look at an image and say ‘that’s not fractured but it think it will fracture’.
Read Tha Athletic article, it's a really interesting read.

Gary O'Driscoll flopped both at Arsenal and at United so far. Where his "good" reputation comes from?

Are they aware you can stop bleeding by using a bandage? We seriously have the most incompetent people in every department.

And people still think our injuries are due to "bad luck".

There are highly incompetent people working behind the scenes who haven't a clue. Not a clue.