United Wage Structure - the actual cultural reset

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Current wages:

Mount 250K
Sancho 300K
Maguire 190K
McTominay 80K (also reported as low as 65K)
Eriksen 150K
AWB 90K
Dalot 85K
Onana 120K
Shaw 150K
Lindelof 120K
Malacia 75K
Casemiro 350K
Rashford 300K
Amad 30K
Pellistri 20K
Mainoo 20K (about to sign a new deal)
Garnacho 50K
Hojlund 85K
Zirkzee 105K
Yoro 115K
Hannibal 15K
Martinez 120K
Bruno 240K
Antony 150K/200K?
Evans 65K
Bayindir 35K
Heaton 45K

This summer we have shed the wages of Donny (120K), Martial (250K), Varane (340K), Willams (60K) and Greenwood (80K).

The wages are about as mismatch as the squad building has been. AWB earning more than Dalot, Mount coming in and getting the #7 being paid more than Bruno, Martinez earning the same as Lindelof while Maguire is on 190K, and then of course Sancho, Casemiro and Rashford on far too high wages.

In terms of dressing room harmony and getting rid of cultural entitlement, it would be great to move on Casemiro who in no way justifies his wage, Eriksen who does not represent any sort of value at 150K a week, Sancho quite clearly, Lindlof and Maguire, Antony, and Rashford. That's half a team, so this of course takes time. But the sooner the better. It's a weird situation to have, being perhaps a key player in a side and earning half the money a waster on the bench earns.

It really is a golden opportunity now to stick to a strict wage structure (definitely not cater to Bruno's pandering for a new contract) and only pay superstar wages to bona fide superstars, if we ever acquire or develop (and if the latter, only once they've become that good).

I'd even suggest that getting Malacia in relatively cheap was good, but giving him 75K a week was quite a large wage given he's completely unproven.

Players who are due an upgrade are Martinez, Dalot, Garnacho and Mainoo, but I'd hope those upgrades be sensible, and that would be easier if we manage to shift quite a few of those who are not anyway near justifying their wage. Pleasantly surprised to see the sensible wages given to Zirkzee and Yoro. It's certainly a signal of more common sense going forward.

Last edited:
Everyone earning above 200k can leave except for Bruno. That should kick-start the reset.

Wasn’t there a big piece on this recently as it’s way off for many? Antony, for example, supposedly earns £70k given he hasn’t hit any of his extra clauses.

Mount on 250k sticks out like a sore thumb. He's our 4th highest earner! He's even ahead of Bruno!

Sancho on 300k is crazy, but that happened before Ten Hag anyways. Casemiro on 350k is also a bit wild but I get it considering the situation back then. 300k for Rashford is wrong in hindsight, but it could be worse I guess.

A number of those quoted figures will be a lot lower currently due to the Champions League clause. In terms of salaries that we have shed we can also add in Brandon Williams and the rumoured 60K a week he was earning.

Mount on 250k sticks out like a sore thumb. He's our 4th highest earner! He's even ahead of Bruno!

Gotta be honest, I really don't understand why we bought him(Mount). Expensive backup imo, both in wages and transfer price.

The Woodward legacy.

That was then compounded by the Arnold/Murtough legacy as well.

It’s good something is finally being done about the wage structure but it’s going to take a while to resolve. Be interesting to see what we end up paying De Ligt if he signs as he is on pretty silly wages at the moment.

It’s good something is finally being done about the wage structure but it’s going to take a while to resolve. Be interesting to see what we end up paying De Ligt if he signs as he is on pretty silly wages at the moment.
By most accounts I read on here, MDL is willing to take a pay cut to join us (I’ve seen figures from £175k - £220k pw mentioned on here). Not sure if any of it is reliable though.

Yep, no surprises Woodward and Arnold have known each other for ages - both as fecking clueless as the other, yet they’ve been fairly well rewarded for their failures. Suppose they take after the fecking owners.

Wasn't there a post in the Amad thread that basically spoke to how the numbers reported by the press are inflated when it comes to Manchester United wages, similarly to how they use Euros figures and put a pound sign? I remember Pogba's contract being leaked and it being nowhere near the value that papers claimed.

A number of those quoted figures will be a lot lower currently due to the Champions League clause. In terms of salaries that we have shed we can also add in Brandon Williams and the rumoured 60K a week he was earning.

Added. Those wages are the most commonly quoted figures. I gather Antony might be earning a lot less, but there are others who report 200K.

Wasn't there a post in the Amad thread that basically spoke to how the numbers reported by the press are inflated when it comes to Manchester United wages, similarly to how they use Euros figures and put a pound sign? I remember Pogba's contract being leaked and it being nowhere near the value that papers claimed.

Here's a website (not the one I used, I used various outlets' reports) that has a full list, which may or may not be accurate.

Sancho on 300k is crazy, but that happened before Ten Hag anyways. Casemiro on 350k is also a bit wild but I get it considering the situation back then. 300k for Rashford is wrong in hindsight, but it could be worse I guess.
One of the most pointless signings I can think off in the last few years. He's a slightly better version of Connor Gallagher.

The Mount wage is shocking really.

Anyway I’d expect Sancho, Maguire and Casemiro off the books this season, then Rashford, Antony and Mount next season assuming none of them step up to justify the wage.

Then suddenly the reset is complete.

One of the most pointless signings I can think off in the last few years. He's a slightly better version of Connor Gallagher.

I think he's a good player and he may prove quite useful, but the #7 irks me and we paid too much and he earns too much. So in that sense I wouldn't be sad to see him leave, and I'd actively get rid of every player bar Bruno earning 190K (Maguire) or more.

I think he's a good player and he may prove quite useful, but the #7 irks me and we paid too much and he earns too much. So in that sense I wouldn't be sad to see him leave, and I'd actively get rid of every player bar Bruno earning 190K (Maguire) or more.

#7 lost all meaning when they gave it to Owen and then players like A. Sanchez and Di Maria.

He's a good player (or at least was for Chelsea when they won CL), but he's rarely had a match for us yet where I've been thinking "wow, what a player".

Man Utd wage expenses last 5 years (numbers taken from financial reports)

2019: £332m
2020: £284m
2021: £323m
2022: £384m
2023: £331m

Total £1654m

Liverpool wage expenses last 5 years (numbers taken from financial reports)

2019: £310m
2020: £326m
2021: £314m
2022: £366m
2023: £373m

Total £1689m

Liverpool have spent more money than us on wages in the last 5 (and the last 3) years. Don't know about Arsenal and Chelsea, but City obviously have spent much more money than us too, though in any case their financial reports can't be trusted for obvious reasons. Note that these numbers include all employees, so not just players (though those obviously make up the vast majority of it).

Last edited:
The sheer incompetence is also compounded by the fact that we had no reason to pay these wages. Nobody was giving 80 million for Maguire so we could've at least saved on the wage aspect of it. As if Maguire would've rejected an offer of around 100k a week. Apply the same for Antony, Mount, Sancho and so many more. We wanted to believe that we're signing superstars for big money in transfer fees, so let's just pay them superstar wages. Just because we could. It has taken a massive amount of incompetence which has caused us to be hand to mouth for PSR.

I just hope they get a grip on the high wages situation before it becomes an issue that causes resentment within the ranks of the lower paid youngsters.

Current wages:

Mount 250K
Sancho 300K
Maguire 190K
Eriksen 150K
AWB 90K
Dalot 85K
Onana 120K
Shaw 150K
Lindelof 120K
Malacia 75K
Casemiro 350K
Rashford 300K
Amad 30K
Pellistri 20K
Garnacho 50K
Hojlund 85K
Zirkzee 56K (Capology have him on 105K)
Yoro 115K
Hannibal 15K
Martinez 120K
Bruno 240K
Antony 150K/200K?
Evans 65K
Bayindir 35K
Heaton 45K

This summer we have shed the wages of Donny (120K), Martial (250K), Varane (340K), Willams (60K) and Greenwood (80K).

The wages are about as mismatch as the squad building has been. AWB earning more than Dalot, Mount coming in and getting the #7 being paid more than Bruno, Martinez earning the same as Lindelof while Maguire is on 190K, and then of course Sancho, Casemiro and Rashford on far too high wages.

In terms of dressing room harmony and getting rid of cultural entitlement, it would be great to move on Casemiro who in no way justifies his wage, Eriksen who does not represent any sort of value at 150K a week, Sancho quite clearly, Lindlof and Maguire, Antony, and Rashford. That's half a team, so this of course takes time. But the sooner the better. It's a weird situation to have, being perhaps a key player in a side and earning half the money a waster on the bench earns.

It really is a golden opportunity now to stick to a strict wage structure (definitely not cater to Bruno's pandering for a new contract) and only pay superstar wages to bona fide superstars, if we ever acquire or develop (and if the latter, only once they've become that good).

I'd even suggest that getting Malacia in relatively cheap was good, but giving him 75K a week was quite a large wage given he's completely unproven.

Players who are due an upgrade are Martinez, Dalot, Garnacho and Mainoo, but I'd hope those upgrades be sensible, and that would be easier if we manage to shift quite a few of those who are not anyway near justifying their wage. Pleasantly surprised to see the sensible wages given to Zirkzee and Yoro. It's certainly a signal of more common sense going forward.
Has varane actually gone?

Here's a website (not the one I used, I used various outlets' reports) that has a full list, which may or may not be accurate.
Capology is fine if you want to get an okay guess for a single player based on the media reports, but they are generally massive underestimates of actual contracts and they're not really uniformly underestimating clubs and players. And when you try to sum a bunch of them to get the financial situation of a club you get absurd differences compared to actual financial reports.

Casemiro 350k is purely ridiculous. How desperate the Glazers were to avoid everything from burning.

Casemiro 350k is purely ridiculous. How desperate the Glazers were to avoid everything from burning.
It won’t be 350k straight up though. Imagine he’s way lower and then has loads of kickers on top. Given how bad we/he were/was last season he would have missed out on a big %

The Mount wage is shocking really.

Anyway I’d expect Sancho, Maguire and Casemiro off the books this season, then Rashford, Antony and Mount next season assuming none of them step up to justify the wage.

Then suddenly the reset is complete.
Would be awesome and yet none of them will leave

An inexperienced director of football, being guided by an inexperienced CEO, being guided by the worst and most incompetent owners imaginable. We really were dire.

Yeah, it's a bit irksome. There's literally nothing as simple as a weekly salary for these players but the press play with the numbers in whichever way suits.

I have friends who are in football journalism and one of the ways they track relationships between players/agents/clubs/"factions" and journos is by who's reporting what. For example, if it suits to say Antony's on 200K as a stick to beat United with, who's reporting on that number? In reverse, who wants to keep United sweet by saying Antony's on 75K?

If you follow this trend it can be very enlightening. Not everyone is as lazy in disguising their relationship as Winter is with Marcus.

Capology is fine if you want to get an okay guess for a single player based on the media reports, but they are generally massive underestimates of actual contracts and they're not really uniformly underestimating clubs and players. And when you try to sum a bunch of them to get the financial situation of a club you get absurd differences compared to actual financial reports.

Not only this, but Capology has our wages for 24/25 as the exact same as the figures for 23/24, despite there being a widely reported blanket 25% reduction across the board for missing out on CL this year.

Hopefully we get rid of Casemiro, Sancho and Rashford (unless he proves himself once more this season) until the start of 2025/26 season. Mount is on really big wages so hope he'll be good for club, hasn't really started at United yet.

Also AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Eriksen, Antony - I hope they'll be gone soon as well (until summer of 2026).

Assuming numbers are roughly accurate :

Sancho and Casemiro are the two that jump to me. Not to say Rashford has been incredibly consistent but he is, for all intents and purposes, the poster boy for the club.

Maguire, Eriksen, they're probably phased out at the end of their deals so within two years.

Overall things are trending in the right direction.

It's fair that the wage mass talking point gets maybe a little overstated for us but ti be fair Liverpool (and Arsenal, City) got more bang for their buck than us.

2019: £332m
2020: £284m
2021: £323m
2022: £384m
2023: £331m

Total £1654m

2019: £310m
2020: £326m
2021: £314m
2022: £366m
2023: £373m

Total £1689m

Liverpool have spent more money than us on wages in the last 5 (and the last 3) years. Don't know about Arsenal and Chelsea, but City obviously have spent much more money than us too, though in any case their financial reports can't be trusted for obvious reasons. Note that these numbers include all employees, so not just players (though those obviously make up the vast majority of it).

Is Liverpool higher because they have achieved more than us & they have more payout linked to incentives while we have a higher base payout?

All these 150/200K plus players need to go. They’re all way overpaid. Some of those are tragically bad - Sancho, Rashford, Casemiro, Antony etc

Is Liverpool higher because they have achieved more than us & they have more payout linked to incentives while we have a higher base payout?

No, in the season when both finished in CL places, it was higher or as much as ManUtd. This performance incentive is just PR gimmick.

Press reports base wages for few and complete package which includes all possible bonuses for others. That's why you see big difference in media reported wages but much closer in official numbers

Current wages:

[...]
Yoro 115K

[...]

Pleasantly surprised to see the sensible wages given to Zirkzee and Yoro. It's certainly a signal of more common sense going forward.

I believe the 56k figure for Zirkzee was from an Italian report, meaning net pay, which would correspond to around 100k.

No, in the season when both finished in CL places, it was higher or as much as ManUtd. This performance incentive is just PR gimmick.

Press reports base wages for few and complete package which includes all possible bonuses for others. That's why you see big difference in media reported wages but much closer in official numbers

That probably explains why they are hesitant to spend on big sums on players - it simply adds more woes to their wage bill. It'll be interesting to see how Salah, VVD, TAA (potentially) leaving affects their financials and if they will start spending big next year?

Give them higher image rights shares/sales etc and limit the wage to performance based pay, on a graded A to E scale per match. Add up at end of season, there's your wages. If your wages are shit, well, that's on you as a player. :lol:

Current wages:

Mount 250K
Sancho 300K
Maguire 190K
Eriksen 150K
AWB 90K
Dalot 85K
Onana 120K
Shaw 150K
Lindelof 120K
Malacia 75K
Casemiro 350K
Rashford 300K
Amad 30K
Pellistri 20K
Garnacho 50K
Hojlund 85K
Yoro 115K
Hannibal 15K
Martinez 120K
Bruno 240K
Antony 150K/200K?
Evans 65K
Bayindir 35K
Heaton 45K

If Capology's figures are right, it's interesting to see Yoro and Zirksee on such relatively limited (or should we say normal) wages. I had expected something more along the lines 15m p/a combined.