Tyson Gay tests positive for banned substance

It would be considered 'a leap of faith' to believe that the guy who is significantly faster than all the guys on drug is running clean.

Didn't you also believed that Djokovic used to dope when he was winning stuff?

Do you think Murray also dopes or is that suspicion only used when non-brits are winning stuff?

So Gay, Carter, Powell and Brown (to name a few) have been tested positive for doping. Almost all people who have run 100m under 10 seconds have been using doping.

A simple solution, they should do what the cyclist should have done a long time ago. Un-ban dope. Seriously where is the point of stopping something unstoppable and then retroactively remove all the medals athletes have won years ago.

Do you think Murray also dopes or is that suspicion only used when non-brits are winning stuff?

It's entirely different. How many top tennis players have been tested positive for doping? If all the top sprinters have been using doping, I wouldn't be surprised that Bolt was using too (though I wouldn't like it cause I like Bolt very much). Similar to if Federer, Nadal and Djokovic were using doping I wouldn't be surprised that Murray would be using too. That doesn't mean Bolt is using doping, but it is a likely possibility. Nationality has nothing to do with it.

It's entirely different. How many top tennis players have been tested positive for doping? If all the top sprinters have been using doping, I wouldn't be surprised that Bolt was using too (though I wouldn't like it cause I like Bolt very much). Similar to if Federer, Nadal and Djokovic were using doping I wouldn't be surprised that Murray would be using too. That doesn't mean Bolt is using doping, but it is a likely possibility. Nationality has nothing to do with it.

That wasn't the point I was making...

I did not start the Djokovic suspicion. There were whispers about him for a while. I started a thread from an article in a newspaper. I certainly was suspicious of Djokovic and Nadal in that era. Murray, who knows, he is only starting to win now that Djokovic has dropped of somewhat. I am encouraged by how outspoken on doping Murray is, it is always a good sign. The authorities in tennis were very worried about doping themselves which is why they have started to introduce more stringent testing procedures.

I am suspicious of Chris Froome too so I cannot admit to British bias across the board. I don't know why you get so upperty about the doping issue, time and time again doping is proven to be endemic among the elite level of sport, it is an absurd position to take in believing that the very best athletes are the clean ones.

I get uppity because I'm aware of the legal ramifications of the pointless statements people make here with conviction. It seems you're not.

I get uppity because I'm aware of the legal ramifications of the pointless statements people make here with conviction. It seems you're not.

Please don't look in the Tour de France thread then. Its Rampant in there. I honestly don't know why any of them continue to watch the way they go on.

I do not talk with absolute conviction. I am not accusing any of the athletes mentioned. I have no proof to make such accusations. I struggle to believe that they are clean, all things considered. That is what I believe, it does not make it true. The evidence is there for everyone to evaluate themselves. An athlete being much loved and very famous means nothing to me.

If things are being said that are unsuitable for the CAF then please let me know. I will immediately refrain from talking about it. Personally I feel that suspicion and mistrust around sport, at this point in time, is a good thing. It exerts pressure on the dopers, albeit it only a tiny amount but it is better than nothing. Ideally we will see more testing across the board, it is especially needed in football. Doping needs to be made into something that athletes do not want to do, something that ultimately has negative value for them. That cannot happen if everyone hides from it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23367299

American sprinter Justin Gatlin says he still believes in the credibility of athletics despite Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell failing drug tests.
The 2004 Olympic gold medallist served a four-year ban from 2006 after testing positive for a banned substance.
Former world champion Gay and ex-100m world record holder Powell have now failed tests but Gatlin says the sport has recovered from similar setbacks.
"I still believe in it, I'm a fan of the sport," the 31-year-old said.
"This is something that has not happened for the first time - it's something we have to deal with."

Gatlin has faced intense criticism since his positive test for testosterone and does not expect the attention to be diverted away from him.
"I'm not sure it takes any heat off me. It's still a normal day when I wake up and when I go to sleep," he added.
Lamine Diack, president of the International Association of Athletics Federations, vowed to continue the fight against doping.
"We are doing, every year, thousands and thousands of controls in and out of competition," he said. "There are cheaters and we will do our best to catch them."
Gatlin's countryman Gay, 30, the joint-second fastest man ever over 100m, was told by the US Anti-Doping Agency last week that his A sample from an out-of-competition test in May was positive.
Powell, also 30 and the all-time fourth quickest, tested positive for a banned stimulant at June's Jamaican Championships.

Seriously, this guy has been caught cheating twice and he's seemingly not bothered about the other cheats either. Great Britain had it right when they banned these guys for life. It's a shame that no other countries followed suit, if they did, I think the sport would be a lot cleaner.

This will be the first of many I'm afraid.

It's always the same. The technology for catching drugs cheats is significantly behind the technology they use to avoid being caught which is why you normally get a wave of athletes caught at once.

As soon as Bolt is inevitably busted sprinting will be destroyed in the eyes of the public via the media.

Stop sugar coating it, and just say it :lol:. Its almost certain that Bolt is doping, but who cares? I dont want natural runners doing barely below 11 seconds. Give them more steroids and see if we can get below 9 seconds!!!

I'd be shocked if Bolt was doping.

He's been doing unbelievable things since a young age of around 15. He's just a natural beast that is the greatest we've ever witnessed and likely ever will witness in our lifetime. I'm sure the usual people will try to laugh at that and claim he's doping, but anybody that's actually followed him and knows about his past and history would likely have enough sense to know it's highly unlikely he's doping.

So you think Bolt is so far ahead of a bunch of other genetic freaks who are juiced to their noses while being steroid-free? The world record he broke was set by a juiced athlete, but Bolt isn't juiced because he's not the type...

Being juiced doesn't make someone a bad person, they are just doing what it takes to be the best, so knowing history won't help much at all.

Bolt's clean, just personal opinion and if he wasn't we'd probably never find out. But he was running 19.93's at 18.

So you think Bolt is so far ahead of a bunch of other genetic freaks who are juiced to their noses while being steroid-free? The world record he broke was set by a juiced athlete, but Bolt isn't juiced because he's not the type...

Being juiced doesn't make someone a bad person, they are just doing what it takes to be the best, so knowing history won't help much at all.

It doesn't make them a bad person. Instead it makes them a cheat.

Have you followed Bolt over his career? He was doing remarkable things at the age of 15. Everything leans towards him not doping and if that's the case, what he's doing is even more incredible. We'll see.

I don't doubt that Bolt was doing amazing things when he was 15, because it would take that level of talent and dedication (plus a sprinkling of steroids) to be as good as he is. The natural human limit is about 10s, anyone who has broken it since then was juicing, and you're trying to tell me Bolt is somehow able to break past that limit drug-free? I'm sorry but I can't believe that.

For example, Messi was being given human-growth hormone when he was younger, so the idea that Bolt could not possibly have juiced because he was doing great things at a young age doesn't hold much water. We don't know, but more than likely he is. I don't care, I like seeing people do amazing things, and his combination of natural talent, hard work and a little bit of juice produces some amazing things. So more power to him!

To me looking at Bolt's history and just how different physically he is from all the other runners makes me think he could well be clean. Just a genetic freak, more freakier than the other freaks.

Bolt's clean, just personal opinion and if he wasn't we'd probably never find out. But he was running 19.93's at 18.

Interestingly there are more impressive junior records out there from athletes of similar age, such as Steve Lewis's 43.87 in the 400m and Liu Xang's 13.12 in the 110m hurdles. From positive tests and others who have been implicated, I suspect it's almost impossible to go under about 9.85 without performance enhancement.

Interestingly there are more impressive junior records out there from athletes of similar age, such as Steve Lewis's 43.87 in the 400m and Liu Xang's 13.12 in the 110m hurdles. From positive tests and others who have been implicated, I suspect it's almost impossible to go under about 9.85 without performance enhancement.

No, no. You don't get it, it's because he's tall and a 'genetic freak'! :rolleyes:

Hasn't drug testing gotten more stringent in recent years and doesn't Bolt get tested the most?

Hasn't drug testing gotten more stringent in recent years and doesn't Bolt get tested the most?

Drug testing has always been stringent, but people are just as good at cycling their steroids to avoid being caught. And someone at the level of an Olympic athlete will have dedicated scientists who can access designer drugs and know more about cycling than the average person.

Report: Gay failed multiple tests
Updated: July 26, 2013, 9:15 PM ET
Associated Press
Sprinter Tyson Gay failed more than one drug test this year, recording one of his positives at the U.S. championships in June, where he won the 100 and 200 meters, The Associated Press learned Friday.
Earlier this month, Gay revealed he had tested positive in an out-of-competition test he took May 16.
Three people familiar with the case told the AP that Gay had multiple positives this year. One of those people said one positive came at nationals and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has notified him of that result.
nba_g_tgay7_cr_288.jpg

Andy Lyons/Getty ImagesTyson Gay, who competed at the 2013 USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships in June, has failed more than one drug test this year, according to a report.
The people did not want their names used because the doping case against Gay is ongoing and the details have not been made public.
Gay's representatives did not immediately respond to attempts by the AP to reach them.
The sprinter already has surrendered his spot at next month's world championships. If a positive test from nationals is confirmed by his "B" sample, those results would be vacated, although it's likely they would be anyway because of his May 16 positive.
A first-time offense for doping usually brings with it a two-year ban, although athletes who cooperate with USADA sometimes get reduced penalties.
One person familiar with the case told the AP that multiple positives over a short period of time are a sign of an athlete who wasn't trying to hide anything but simply didn't know he was taking a banned drug.
Gay is cooperating with USADA.
"The additional positive sample is consistent with him taking responsibility," USADA CEO Travis Tygart said. "He should be commended for that and for removing himself from world championships, which we all should appreciate. The sample was expected, as he works with us for the fair resolution based on the rules, given the fact of his case."
When Gay admitted to the earlier positive in a phone interview nearly two weeks ago, he fought back tears.
"I don't have a sabotage story. I don't have any lies. I don't have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake or it was on USADA's hands, someone playing games," he said. "I don't have any of those stories. I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down."
Since news of his positive, media reports have linked Gay to Clayton Gibson, an anti-aging doctor based in Atlanta. In an email sent to the AP, Gibson would not confirm Gay was among his patients.
Gay has been the most-watched U.S. male sprinter for the past several years and long has sold himself as a clean athlete.
The 30-year-old, who won the world championship in the 100, 200 and 4x100 relay in 2007, took part in USADA's "My Victory" program -- in which athletes volunteer for enhanced testing to prove they're clean -- and his results never raised red flags.
Until, that is, the out-of-competition test in May. Results came back positive for a banned substance, the identity of which has not been revealed.
The latest news adds to a slew of negative headlines for track. Jamaican Olympic champion Veronica Campbell-Brown tested positive for a banned diuretic at a meet on the island in May.
A month later, Asafa Powell, the former 100-meter world record holder, tested positive for a stimulant at Jamaica's national championships, as did teammate Sherone Simpson, a three-time Olympic medalist.
In a recent statement, Powell said he had "retained legal counsel" and couldn't "discuss all the details of the case."
"I look forward to demonstrating to everyone that I am a clean athlete. I always have been, and I always will be," Powell said. "I look forward to donning my country's national (colors) and as I step into the blocks at the starting line I will remain, as always, proud to be Jamaican."
Gay, finally feeling healthy after years of nagging injuries, was among those expected to push Usain Bolt at worlds next month, but instead of racing in Moscow, he'll be resolving his doping case.
Asked Thursday about the series of doping cases, Bolt said, "Definitely, it's going to set us back a little bit."
He insisted he was clean.
"So I'm just going to continue running, using my talent and just trying to improve the sport," he said.

Random out-of-competition testing has probably helped but that has been in place since 25 years ago. I remember hearing during the 1990s the rhetoric about drug testing becoming tighter even though records were being beaten across the board and other sports such as cycling where drug use was endemic. Then we had the Balco scandal of the early 2000s when a wave of prominent athletes were caught out. Since then times in the sprints - historically the events that are hardest to improve upon - have dropped significantly. Meanwhile in cycling performance enhancement continued unabated and there's little to suggest that's not been the case in athletics.

The only area where random out-of-competition testing has made a difference has been in the women's sprints. None of those records have been approached in 30 years which is indicative of the heavy regimes that East German and American women were following at the time. And unsurprisingly the only woman to get close to those sorts of times was Marion Jones who herself was implicated in Balco.