Tyler Dibling

As I said though, some footballers just have it. They ooze class and they make good decisions. Like when Kobbie Mainoo came through last season. We (United fans) got accused of talking him up too soon, but you could see his class straight away. Looked like a veteran from the minute he walked into the side, he just belonged.

The reason these high-technical ability youngsters make good decisions (when others dont) is because the technical side is coming so naturally to them they don't have to think about it. It's why pace merchants are often frustrating and don't make good decisions. They can't rely on their technique when they need it.

Take Rashford as an example. I have always been pretty damning of him, and the reason is his base technical level is not high enough. That's why he's so inconsistent and makes so many poor choices. He can't trust his touch.

Look at the way Dibling cut through us and had that shot that Onana palmed away. Always in full control, always knew exactly what he wanted to do and executed it.

Likewise look at when he beat Dalot for the penalty. That waln't luck or raw pace, he slowed Dalot down and accelerated again at exactly the right split-second when he knew Dalot's weight would be planted.

The goal vs Ipswich was so well-taken. Which of our wide forwards would show that level of composure in-front of goal? He knew the ball had just enough pace on it to open his body up and take the touch past the CBs. That's not luck again it's judgement and seeing the game ahead of time.

The through-ball for Archer was through the eye of a needle. Had to be perfect. You could give Garnacho and Rashford that pass 100 times and I don't believe either would make it even once...and for the record, I rate Garnacho...it's just that he has a slightly different skillset.

I'm going to call it now, this lad is a must sign. I might look silly in three seasons when he's still at Southampton in the Championship but I firmly believe he's going to be a real top player.
I’m not sure whether he will make it at the top level but I will agree that he seems very deliberate in his actions and when he chooses to dribble. He can go either side of the defender on both wings and it’s more about timing than pace.

I’ve seen him for England youth a bit which is where I saw Sam Amo Aweyaw too. Both are creative and I’ve seen them both play centrally too. Southampton academy should always be monitored.

As I said though, some footballers just have it. They ooze class and they make good decisions. Like when Kobbie Mainoo came through last season. We (United fans) got accused of talking him up too soon, but you could see his class straight away. Looked like a veteran from the minute he walked into the side, he just belonged.

The reason these high-technical ability youngsters make good decisions (when others dont) is because the technical side is coming so naturally to them they don't have to think about it. It's why pace merchants are often frustrating and don't make good decisions. They can't rely on their technique when they need it.

Take Rashford as an example. I have always been pretty damning of him, and the reason is his base technical level is not high enough. That's why he's so inconsistent and makes so many poor choices. He can't trust his touch.

Look at the way Dibling cut through us and had that shot that Onana palmed away. Always in full control, always knew exactly what he wanted to do and executed it.

Likewise look at when he beat Dalot for the penalty. That waln't luck or raw pace, he slowed Dalot down and accelerated again at exactly the right split-second when he knew Dalot's weight would be planted.

The goal vs Ipswich was so well-taken. Which of our wide forwards would show that level of composure in-front of goal? He knew the ball had just enough pace on it to open his body up and take the touch past the CBs. That's not luck again it's judgement and seeing the game ahead of time.

The through-ball for Archer was through the eye of a needle. Had to be perfect. You could give Garnacho and Rashford that pass 100 times and I don't believe either would make it even once...and for the record, I rate Garnacho...it's just that he has a slightly different skillset.

I'm going to call it now, this lad is a must sign. I might look silly in three seasons when he's still at Southampton in the Championship but I firmly believe he's going to be a real top player.
Excellent post. He seems to be a very natural talent combined with football intelligence and great technique. Hard to predict whether he will be an elite player, but the signs are good and I hope we are monitoring him closely. I'd hate for him to go to one of the other top clubs and watch him tear it up for them.

Looks a real prospect. Lovely goal and weekend and beautiful near assist. Real composure for age

Starting games in the PL makes that a no

That doesn’t make him ‘better’ than Lacey, it just means he’s further down the road than him. The better player isn’t determined by who wins some sort of ‘who makes their debut first’ race, especially when one is at a top end club and the other at the opposite end of the league.

They could very easily be similar level talents.

That doesn’t make him ‘better’ than Lacey, it just means he’s further down the road than him. The better player isn’t determined by who wins some sort of ‘who makes their debut first’ race, especially when one is at a top end club and the other at the opposite end of the league.

They could very easily be similar level talents.

Could be... its indicative of where they are at in their development though. Lacey is a top talent but again we have not seen him at senior level. So I don't think its worth the comparison until Lacey goes out on loan or makes the first team

This is ridiculous. Chelsea training ground at Cobham is an hour and a half from Southampton. He could commute easy from mummy's house if he wanted
He was 16 at the time. Important to remember that you are talking about a literal child when making that comment!

???? He could gave commuted from mummy's house child or not
How old are you?

It matters for people to feel comfortable in their environment to produce at their best level, footballer or not. Especially so when it concerns a child.

???? He could gave commuted from mummy's house child or not
Putting aside that 3 hours traveling for every training session is actually a pretty major thing that a lot of kids would obviously find difficult, he probably wants to stay with his mates and the coaches he knows for a bit longer.

This is ridiculous. Chelsea training ground at Cobham is an hour and a half from Southampton. He could commute easy from mummy's house if he wanted
Yeah, every teenager wants to spend every waking hour either at school, training or travelling with literally no time in the day to do anything else. :lol:

Especially when the alternative is an excellent academy that has produced several very good players (a couple world class) in their own right.

His style is such that he doesn't have the greatest pace but he's very physical and will shrug off challenges and balance checks especially for someone of his age. Could end up a very strong player that cant be shaken off the ball

How old are you?

It matters for people to feel comfortable in their environment to produce at their best level, footballer or not. Especially so when it concerns a child.

Putting aside that 3 hours traveling for every training session is actually a pretty major thing that a lot of kids would obviously find difficult, he probably wants to stay with his mates and the coaches he knows for a bit longer.
What are you going on about. I went over an hour to school by bus. I know kids now at are 10 that get train/bus now. I know kids that have been at the same club since 6 with all thier mates and changed clubs because it was better for them. And that was thier choice. My sons best mate just changed clubs and left his friends behind. In the US they go to different states. My boss's kid is a hockey player. He's all over the place. And that place is huge. Like hours on a plane. Heck living at the other side of London is probably a worse journey to Cobham.
I don't see why me saying an hour and a half shouldn't be an issue for a 16 year old. Especially since I'm sure they could arrange a private transfer

Last edited:
What are you going on about. I went over an hour to school by bus. I know kids now at are 10 that get train/bus now. I know kids that have been at the same club since 6 with all thier mates and changed clubs because it was better for them. And that was thier choice. My sons best mate just changed clubs and left his friends behind. In the US they go to different states. My boss's kid is a hockey player. He's all over the place. And that place is huge. Like hours on a plane.
I don't see why me saying an hour and a half shouldn't be an issue for a 16 year old. Especially since I'm sure they could arrange a private transfer
You seem to think all kids are the same.

You seem to think all kids are the same.
No I think 99 percent of kids have to deal with doing things like going to school, catching buses, loosing friends, changing football clubs and on and on. I'm not saying that if he is particularly sensitive he shouldn't be given extra care. I'm saying that it shouldn't have been a problem. Hey boss I'm missing home. OK we will arrange for a private driver to make sure you can be home as much as possible. Maybe you can do your fitness session at a gym with a personal trainer and miss Thursdays. Etc

No I think 99 percent of kids have to deal with doing things like going to school, catching buses, loosing friends, changing football clubs and on and on. I'm not saying that if he is particularly sensitive he shouldn't be given extra care. I'm saying that it shouldn't have been a problem. Hey boss I'm missing home. OK we will arrange for a private driver to make sure you can be home as much as possible. Maybe you can do your fitness session at a gym with a personal trainer and miss Thursdays. Etc
The fact that kids sometimes have to deal with shit is not a reason to unnecessarily add that hassle to their life. He clearly realised that was what the Chelsea move was doing and was better off carrying on with what was working for him before.

The fact that kids sometimes have to deal with shit is not a reason to unnecessarily add that hassle to their life. He clearly realised that was what the Chelsea move was doing and was better off carrying on with what was working for him before.
Then they should say that and not he was homesick

I think all that stuff would be reasonably described, to the level of detail we would ever need to know about some 16 year old footballer's life, by the term 'homesick'.

I get that you think this kid should be writing you a letter of apology for deciding a move to Chelsea wasn't for him after all but in truth it's not really something that requires a detailed public explanation.

I think all that stuff would be reasonably described, to the level of detail we would ever need to know about some 16 year old footballer's life, by the term 'homesick'.

I get that you think this kid should be writing you a letter of apology for deciding a move to Chelsea wasn't for him after all but in truth it's not really something that requires a detailed public explanation.
Now what are you on about. If I send my son to a school an hour away and he said he was homesick I'd be like wtf. What about 40 mins away? 15 mins? What's the distance to be labelled as 'homesick'? To me travelling an hour and 30 mins and saying you are homesick is a bit ridiculous.
If he said. 'Dad. I just don't like it there. I was happier at Southampton and I think that they have a good academy' then fair enough.
Homesick from 50 miles away. Come on.

Now what are you on about. If I send my son to a school an hour away and he said he was homesick I'd be like wtf. What about 40 mins away? 15 mins? What's the distance to be labelled as 'homesick'? To me travelling an hour and 30 mins and saying you are homesick is a bit ridiculous.
If he said. 'Dad. I just don't like it there. I was happier at Southampton and I think that they have a good academy' then fair enough.
Its not school. He was homesick because he obviously had to stay in London

I'm saying that if he said that, Chelsea and Southampton would likely agree that best public description of his reasons were that he was homesick, because going in to more detail would be weird.

His style is such that he doesn't have the greatest pace but he's very physical and will shrug off challenges and balance checks especially for someone of his age. Could end up a very strong player that cant be shaken off the ball
Grealish

I was in a PL academy for 6-months as a kid and I absolutely despised it.

I was a shy kid and all of a sudden I'm plucked from the local football team I'd been at since 6 and am playing three times a week with kids I don't know, whilst blokes with clipboards watch you like hawks and rate your every move and action.

I used to use every trick in the book to miss the sessions. Started to impact my school because I'd pretend to be ill on training days so I didn't have to go in.

Looking back as an adult you think "what bizarre behaviour", "what a waste of an opportunity", but when you're 12/13 and you're not an outgoing person it's not so easy.

I was in a PL academy for 6-months as a kid and I absolutely despised it.

I was a shy kid and all of a sudden I'm plucked from the local football team I'd been at since 6 and am playing three times a week with kids I don't know, whilst blokes with clipboards watch you like hawks and rate your every move and action.

I used to use every trick in the book to miss the sessions. Started to impact my school because I'd pretend to be ill on training days so I didn't have to go in.

Looking back as an adult you think "what bizarre behaviour", "what a waste of an opportunity", but when you're 12/13 and you're not an outgoing person it's not so easy.
Fair enough. But you weren't homesick were you?

Fair enough. But you weren't homesick were you?
No I wasn't homesick because I didn't have to move out! :D

I am really just pointing out that these are young kids really, we can't always apply adult logic to their decision-making.

For all we know (and this sounds ridiculous but could easily be the case) someone could have been bullying him...or he could have missed his girlfriend, or his dog...or his schoolmates...or anything! We just don't know.