Transfer Tweets - 2014/15 | Stay On Topic & No Blacklisted Tweets (see OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blind is better than what we have. Hope we get him in at the weekend, and turn our attention to Monday for another one.

Really? Look at our team right now with the litany of injuries and what is the best type of player for that scenario? A Jack of all trades.

Blind can play LB, LCB, CM, CDM. That's great versatility and a player every team needs. We had those kinds of players over the years. Remember O Shea? I can't remember the number of times Fergie had used him across the backline, heck even as a friggin' goalie at one point!

Let's also remember that he'll come and slot in straight away. he knows the system, the philosophy and will settle in easy.

The international break is nearly here, after that we have 3 LB's, 2 LCB's a role he's barely ever played by the way and 4 LWB's. He's not a CM either, he's purely a DM in midfield, he doesn't have any of the tools to play a full CM role. He's probably better than Fletcher and Cleverley but only marginally and teams will still find our midfield a soft, slow target.

We've been linked with him all summer.

And been consistently been told from everyone and their mums that we have made zero contact. From Mark Overmars to United fan journo Elko Bron who gets most things right about Dutch football. We didn't hear about bids going in or anything. The links were mostly because LVG was NT manager. That's secretive by modern standards won't you agree?

The international break is nearly here, after that we have 3 LB's, 2 LCB's a role he's barely ever played by the way and 4 LWB's. He's not a CM either, he's purely a DM in midfield, he doesn't have any of the tools to play a full CM role. He's probably better than Fletcher and Cleverley but only marginally and teams will still find our midfield a soft, slow target.

What you going on about?

We don't want him to play as a full CM. We need a DM. He'd offer protection for likes of Herrera, Mata and Di Maria to go forward.

And been consistently been told from everyone and their mums that we have made zero contact. From Mark Overmars to United fan journo Elko Bron who gets most things right about Dutch football. We didn't hear about bids going in or anything. The links were mostly because LVG was NT manager. That's secretive by modern standards won't you agree?

Makes you wonder if we have got another deal up our sleeve.

Let's just call Rojo a CB shall we? He was CB for Sporting all the way through. He's a CB who can play LB in my book, though many choose to see it otherwise.

Blind is better than what we have. Hope we get him in at the weekend, and turn our attention to Monday for another one.

I'll be surprised if we do as I think we will only sign another one if it's the right thing looking forward and I don't think that there is a player out there right now that you could say is perfect for us for now and the future and is actually available.

What Blind does is gives us a "good enough" option for a while until players are fit and we sign more and then he takes on a very useful utility role. LB, CB and DM.

Not really no, but we've actually started talking about shite, like actual shite. I will say this though, the igloo part intrigued me.

Anyways, I don't think it's fair to judge a player who's never played in the league. Fellaini, I'll give you but he spent a few years in the league and you obviously made an informed decision on him and how he was suited to the league. Different story with Blind.

Lets rewind, you asked me where I filed my shit, I thought you were turning the discussion to jokes which was fine, hence my weird answer that admittedly was not very funny, but as I say it's late.

I've watched Blind play 10 times, he's fine in a slow paced type of football where there isn't intense pressure on the ball and he has lots of time to decide what to do with it, that is the opposite of this league and I don't think Herrera and Mata are going to offer him much protection. If we had two box to box CM's to play ahead of him in a midfield 3 maybe he could work, but with our current options my opinion is he'll get overrun time and again.

Btw, regarding prices, I think it's fairly obvious well have to overpay for whoever we sign now given we barley have midfielders and there's little time to go. So I wouldn't be expecting value for money right now. As long as the players improve us, right now I don't care. Too late in the day to worry about that.

Reactions: moses
Don't you feel anything?

3rd/4th choice on a list of midfielders is not good enough. We need world class midfielders, we can't afford to get a half-decent midfielder (plays 2 positions) when we don't even have a World class midfielder.

Our whole midfielder is even more mediocre than before. Herrera/Carrick are the onlys that are decent.
How do you know it was LVG's 3rd/4th. just because the caf wants vidal type players doesn't mean LVG does.

Exactly!

I don't get this. United have spent an obscene amount of money in the transfer window. They are replacing players everyone here wanted out and getting players who will fit perfectly. Now, apparently it seems United have bought Blind. Everyone wants/wanted Vidal but it's evident there are worries about his knee and also Juve want silly money. For whatever reason LvG remains unconvinced about Carvalho. He knows and obviously trusts Blind so prefers him. Blind can also cover 3 positions AND is cheaper.

He can do a job. He knows LvG and his systems and has played it during the world cup. He is reasonably priced considering the madness of this summer and was also part of a team who came 3rd in the world cup. For all we know United could still buy more players, there are many reasons to think they will. But even if Blind is the last then how can it be a bad transfer window when United have addressed all their problems. Maybe they haven't got a Hummels or Benatia in defence or Vidal in midfield, but they have got adequate cover that are upgrades on players almost everyone here has been slating for fecking ages. They are also getting rid of many of those players we have all slated.

Not everything can or could have been fixed in one window. In my honest opinion this is a success, especially compared to the shambles of last year. It's ridiculous, naive and to be honest, extremely fecking greedy to have expected we would have done this well, let alone have got Hummels and Vidal on top. It is all well on its way to being fixed and I bet some more improvements will happen again in January and then yet again next Summer. What part of a "project" as LvG is always going on about, do some people here not get?

Without question this has been the best transfer window I have ever known. Absolutely, nailed on, without question, massive success. I for one am so excited about it all. I think some people are impossible to please and just like to bitch and whine all the time.
Good Post. I agree and whos says a big name midfielder or centre back won't be available next summer.

I for one, am happy with this, we get a good young player, well used to the the system LVG wants to play.

How do you know it was LVG's 3rd/4th. just because the caf wants vidal type players doesn't mean LVG does.
Logically, Van Gaal would of bought Blind from the start as he knew about his qualities first hand in the world cup. It is clear we have been after Vidal, Carvalho and players that we have enquired about which got reject by the clubs (which don't know about).A deal for Blind would not be complicated at all, so the deal would be very quick to be completed. Yet, 2 days before the transfer window closes we sign him.

What you going on about?

We don't want him to play as a full CM. We need a DM. He'd offer protection for likes of Herrera, Mata and Di Maria to go forward.

He is the one that needs protection, he's slow and weak, to work as a #6 he'll need two CM's in front of him to do the role, Herrera and Mata aren't going to shield him.

Let's just call Rojo a CB shall we? He was CB for Sporting all the way through. He's a CB who can play LB in my book, though many choose to see it otherwise.

You counted Blind in 3 positions he's barely ever played in, so I don't see how Rojo doesn't qualify for at leat 2 positions given he has had substantial game time in both for club and country.

I'm very skeptical, to say the least. Playing di Maria wide or up top means our midfield is severely lacking in quality, and playing di Maria in midfield means we don't have nearly enough pace up top. Basically we're screwed without another top class signing (preferably in CM).

I can only hope LvG pulls off a miracle, because I see us struggling to get 4th with the current squad.

Logically, Van Gaal would of bought Blind from the start as he knew about his qualities first hand in the world cup. It is clear we have been after Vidal, Carvalho and players that we have enquired about which got reject by the clubs (which don't know about).A deal for Blind would not be complicated at all, so the deal would be very quick to be completed. Yet, 2 days before the transfer window closes we sign him.
Or he was first choice, LVG knew it would be easy, and decided to get him when he knew he had takers for our players. LVG did say dutch players were easier to get. Maybe LVGs focus has been on a CB all this time.

I'll be surprised if we do as I think we will only sign another one if it's the right thing looking forward and I don't think that there is a player out there right now that you could say is perfect for us for now and the future and is actually available.

What Blind does is gives us a "good enough" option for a while until players are fit and we sign more and then he takes on a very useful utility role. LB, CB and DM.

Completely agree with this. He will be a very valuable and important player for us over time and I also think we've signed him for a fair amount if it's true. I think we might pull off one last surprise before the deadline and obviously hope it's Vidal but yeah in reality Blind probably is our last signing, happy enough though if it means we're going to wait and sign Strootman or another top CM van Gaal has in mind in January.

Last edited:
Or he was first choice, LVG knew it would be easy, and decided to get him when he knew he had takers for our players. LVG did say dutch players were easier to get. Maybe LVGs focus has been on a CB all this time.
I don't know if you are serious.

Serious about what?

Maybe LVG wanted to get rid of Cleverley before signing him. We have a wage bill out of control. So it is possible we had to get rid of a few before signing someone.

if you ask most of the caf they would want vidal/strootman/carvalho so saying blind is 4th choice is pure caf talk. We don't know what LVG wants other than he has talked of strootman and Vidal as players he rates. My guess is he would only want 1 of those 3. Blind may not even be considered as someone who would compete with them in their role. so saying 4th choice is very presumptious

You counted Blind in 3 positions he's barely ever played in, so I don't see how Rojo doesn't qualify for at leat 2 positions given he has had substantial game time in both for club and country.

CM maybe the one position that I got wrong, but he has played in CB (LCB shouldn't be a problem), LB and DM. I think I'll trust a Dutch journalist over you for where Blind can play. This tweet sums up Blind perfectly.

Serious about what?

Maybe LVG wanted to get rid of Cleverley before signing him. We have a wage bill out of control. So it is possible we had to get rid of a few before signing someone.
We lack midfielder in the first place, why would he wait for Cleverly to go? I think you mean Blind is the 'go to guy' aka 'fall back option' if we don't get our priority midfielders in.

We lack midfielder in the first place, why would he wait for Cleverly to go? I think you mean Blind is the 'go to guy' aka 'fall back option' if we don't get our priority midfielders in.

Because the board would have told him to get rid of a few players before getting more in.

And we don't lack midfielders. Currently we have 6 on our book. We can't sign more without getting rid of a few.

CM maybe the one position that I got wrong, but he has played in CB (LCB shouldn't be a problem), LB and DM. I think I'll trust a Dutch journalist over you for where Blind can play. This tweet sums up Blind perfectly.

Instead of taking this guys tweets why not read the articles in the Blind thread about where he has played for Ajax over the last 3 seasons, 2 at LB and one at DM, nothing about him playing as a CB, this guy is most likely using it in the same way people say Carrick can fill in at CB if needed. As far as the tweet summing Blind up, yeah I'd agree, the last sentence says it all, we don't need "might become good" we need "is already very good."

Because the board would have told him to get rid of a few players before getting more in.

And we don't lack midfielders. Currently we have 6 on our book. We can't sign more without getting rid of a few.
So why did he buy Herrera then? If Blind was a first choice midfielder, surely he would of signed Blind first and then waited on Herrera?

So why did he buy Herrera then? If Blind was a first choice midfielder, surely he would of signed Blind first and then waited on Herrera?

Herrera and Shaw were on the previous list, which Van Gaal gave the ok too. Van Gaal wanted to look at the rest of the squad. By your logic, ADM was 5th choice because he was available all summer and we sign him in the last week. LVG has looked at what we needed.

Stop throwing a hissy fit because we didn't sign Vidal or a player who is more unproven than Blind in Carvalho and would cost a lot more.

Instead of taking this guys tweets why not read the articles in the Blind thread about where he has played for Ajax over the last 3 seasons, 2 at LB and one at DM, nothing about him playing as a CB, this guy is most likely using it in the same way people say Carrick can fill in at CB if needed. As far as the tweet summing Blind up, yeah I'd agree, the last sentence says it all, we don't need "might become good" we need "is already very good."
Unfortunately, there's not an exactly an abundance of those players out there that are attainable right now. The one who could have been has a dodgy knee. We are a club burnt badly by a dodgy a knee. The other is trying to recover from a dodgy knee by Christmas. We're a little bit fecked, but I think once Carrick returns and Herrera fills in by his side, we won't be missing a huge midfield presence as much as we think. We are yet to see how that combination will work and I'm optimistic.

You can't have a squad packed with ''is already very good''-players, it's likely that LvG will wait for one of his absolute favorite players out there: Strootman.
Meanwhile we have a gap in central midfield, if the plan is to go for Strootman in january or next summer, then going all out to sign (let's say) Vidal, who have a major question mark over his head as well, would be rather stupid, don't you think?
Also, whenever we get the midfielder that we actually want to play next to Herrera (you'd have to believe that's the situation), then you'd still need a utility player who won't complain about not playing week-in week-out, while still having enough quality to fill in whenever needed without the team having to sacrifice their philosophies, which is exactly what Blind will offer.

I have been critical of Blind but I am beginning to think he could be a very good signing. Good price too.

Replace 'Blind' by 'Fellaini' and I bet I could find a dozen posts from last summer with the same sentiment. If we signed Eboue some posters would say, 'I know I called him a complete tosser in the past, but I now think he can do a job for us.'

As a matter of fact, if we signed Ebola....:smirk:

Unfortunately, there's not an exactly an abundance of those players out there that are attainable right now. The one who could have been has a dodgy knee. We are a club burnt badly by a dodgy a knee. The other is trying to recover from a dodgy knee by Christmas. We're a little bit fecked, but I think once Carrick returns and Herrera fills in by his side, we won't be missing a huge midfield presence as much as we think. We are yet to see how that combination will work and I'm optimistic.

Carrick is 33 and coming off an Achilles injury, and even with him we've looked slow and weak in midfield for some time. I hate to have to evoke the name but we have missed a Keano type for a long time, the PL is getting faster and more physical and we don't have a single CM that can mix it up in midfield, even players like Cattermole and Shelvey can hurt us just with better mobility and physicality. In my view we should have went for Schniederlin if the plan was to go for a lesser DM, he is better suited than Blind and knows the league.

Replace 'Blind' by 'Fellaini' and I bet I could find a dozen posts from last summer with the same sentiment. If we signed Eboue some posters would say, 'I know I called him a complete tosser in the past, but I now think he can do a job for us.'

As a matter of fact, if we signed Ebola....:smirk:

You cant compare Blind to Fellaini, mainly because Fellaini played out of position for us. Lacking in intelligence and tactically too. Blind costs half as much and is more versatile. You can argument like that with every not world class player we buy, because the risk that they fail is higher and therefore lacking confidence from the beginning.

You can't have a squad packed with ''is already very good''-players, it's likely that LvG will wait for one of his absolute favorite players out there: Strootman.
Meanwhile we have a gap in central midfield, if the plan is to go for Strootman in january or next summer, then going all out to sign (let's say) Vidal, who have a major question mark over his head as well, would be rather stupid, don't you think?
Also, whenever we get the midfielder that we actually want to play next to Herrera (you'd have to believe that's the situation), then you'd still need a utility player who won't complain about not playing week-in week-out, while still having enough quality to fill in whenever needed without the team having to sacrifice their philosophies, which is exactly what Blind will offer.

You can't have a squad filled with them no, but we don't have any in CM so I don't think expecting a team like United to have one is a huge ask. Secondly this Strootman stuff is pie in the sky, he has a contract with Roma, they have no more reason to sell him than Juve have Vidal, and by not getting the midfield sorted now we could well be trying to buy Strootman with no CL to offer yet again, plus I don't think Blind is happy to be a utility player, he seems more ambitous than that from the interviews I read.

Tomorrow is the day where players will leave and Blind will be confirmed.

You can't have a squad filled with them no, but we don't have any in CM so I don't think expecting a team like United to have one is a huge ask. Secondly this Strootman stuff is pie in the sky, he has a contract with Roma, they have no more reason to sell him than Juve have Vidal, and by not getting the midfield sorted now we could well be trying to buy Strootman with no CL to offer yet again, plus I don't think Blind is happy to be a utility player, he seems more ambitous than that from the interviews I read.

So you don't rate Ander Herrera?
Yes, Strootman has a contract with Roma, but so does any bloody player that we'd be moving for. It's fairly evident that Strootman is one of LvGs favorite players out there, dig up his interviews pre WC and you'll see how significant a part he played in LvGs plans.
And no, most likely Roma won't have more reason to sell him, but the relationship between Strootman and LvG could be a significant factor (they were together almost every day prior to the WC), so MAYBE there's a better chance that Strootman could push the move along.

We could be moving for a CM now, but who'd you go for then, there's not many left out there if you take Vidal out of the equation.
As much as i rate Carvalho, he wouldn't add what Strootman/Vidal can, which is why LvG could be reluctant to signing him, as he probably (my assumption) would like to play 4-3-3 eventually, where he'll need his ''Strootman''.

Status
Not open for further replies.