Tom Heaton image 22

Tom Heaton England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
i told gareth i was willing to step in, in the event of something happening to one of the goalkeepers, but he just told me to get out of his bin store and not to come near his family or home again.
The England job has gone to his head.

So if Henderson gets injured (probably something anus related, knowing him) does Heaton step in as third choice?

Not sure what the rules are in terms of replacing goalkeepers in the squad. You’d think one injury wouldn’t allow that to take place. But yeah, it would probably be him as Trafford is already on holiday.

In 3 seasons with us, 36+ y.o. Tom Heaton played a gigantic amount of 3 games, or in average 1 game per season. Our academy Gk must be totally shite, to not be trusted even 1 game out of 50+ games per season.

In 3 seasons with us, he played a gigantic amount of 3 games, or 1 game per season. Our academy Gk must be totally shite, to not be trusted even 1 game out of 50+ games per season.

Most top clubs have an experienced 3rd goalkeeper. There’s been plenty of talk about how important Scott Carson is for the Man City team. Not everything is about how shite we are as a club.

In 3 seasons with us, 36+ y.o. Tom Heaton played a gigantic amount of 3 games, or 1 game per season. Our academy Gk must be totally shite, to not be trusted even 1 game out of 50+ games per season.
He is supposed to be a good presence in the dressing room, I'm assuming this is about stuff like that not his playing ability.

He is supposed to be a good presence in the dressing room, I'm assuming this is about stuff like that not his playing ability.

So we have him to give a "good presence"? We have Evans for that, that actually pretty useful as player.
More or less every single top club have an experienced 3rd goalkeeper. There’s been plenty of talk about how important Scott Carson is for the Man City team. Not everything is about how shite we are as a club.

Man City can have 10 Gk, and it won't matter to them (as they can be paid under the table).

Anyway, I really don't mind we have a few "figure heads" in the squad, as long as they're useful, like Evans. Otherwise, no player would take this player's word seriously if they're there but doing nothing.

So we have him to give a "good presence"? We have Evans for that, that actually pretty useful as player.

Man City can have 10 Gk, and it won't matter to them (as they can be paid under the table).

Anyway, I really don't mind we have a few "figure heads" in the squad, as long as they're useful, like Evans.

And what makes you think he’s not useful? Probably very important mentor to our young keepers too.

Anyway, I really don't mind we have a few "figure heads" in the squad, as long as they're useful, like Evans. Otherwise, no player would take this player's word seriously if they're there but doing nothing.
He can be useful in other ways than on the pitch, like in training and team meetings and such. We will probably never know the details of it, but there is probably a reason why he's with the England squad for the Euros and that United wanted to renew the contract. Wouldn't be surprised if he will be offered a role here after he retires either.

He can be useful in other ways than on the pitch, like in training and team meetings and such. We will probably never know the details of it, but there is probably a reason why he's with the England squad for the Euros and that United wanted to renew the contract. Wouldn't be surprised if he will be offered a role here after he retires either.

Can imagine he has a lot of knowledge on both strikers as well as other keepers in the league. Especially experienced goalkeepers tend to give some input to set pieces too.

And what makes you think he’s not useful? Probably very important mentor to our young keepers too.

That should be done by the Gk coaches. And we always end up buying Gk for main one. I think for 30+ years, we only had one main Gk from academy, and Fergie then ditched him soon enough.

Happy with this.

Most clubs have an experienced 3rd choice keeper - and English as well, to fill one of the quota slots. Happy for ours to still be Heaton. Nice for an ex-Academy player, and he's reportedly a good dressing room presence and should be a good role model and 'coach' / mentor for our younger keepers.

That should be done by the Gk coaches.

And it is. But their biggest focus is often on the playing keeper. Heaton also has experience that none of our gk coaches have.

By all accounts Heaton has a very meticulous approach to his craft. Perfect role model for Vitek, Harrison & co.

Must be cool to get paid £30k a week (that's a guess, I don't know what he makes) to be chief vibes guy.

And it is. But their biggest focus is often on the playing keeper. Heaton also has experience that none of our gk coaches have.

By all accounts Heaton has a very meticulous approach to his craft. Perfect role model for Vitek, Harrison & co.
ok mate.

And we always end up buying Gk for main one. I think for 30+ years, we only had one main Gk from academy, and Fergie then ditched him soon enough.

More or less true. Don’t know what it has to do with this discussion though.

In 3 seasons with us, 36+ y.o. Tom Heaton played a gigantic amount of 3 games, or in average 1 game per season. Our academy Gk must be totally shite, to not be trusted even 1 game out of 50+ games per season.

He's there for training and emergencies.That's about it. Well worth having him in the squad.

I don't get why fans can't grasp why a third choice goalkeeper is important

I don't get why fans can't grasp why a third choice goalkeeper is important
There's literally nothing to moan about, unless you just want something to moan about.

Every squad needs a third choice keeper, that can either be a vastly experienced older player, who very rarely plays but contributes so much in other ways that he's brought to do similar at major tournaments by his national team, or, as the suggestion seems to be, a youth GK, who needs games but won't get any, and who contributes nothing else to the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.