The Unpopular Opinion thread. Post yours here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
United should not keep mourinho more than three seasons. He's the right manager to right the ship and get united back among the elite, not the one to maximize their talent and take them above barcelona/madrid

Who would take us above Barcelona/Real Madrid? it's not often we can genuinely say we have been above both, even under Busby and Fergie. I'd say Mourinho is about as likely as anyone to add a fourth CL.

Most fans had become complacent and blasé about the success in the Fergie period thinking it was the norm. We need this fallow period to really enjoy it if and when any period of success returns.

Most fans had become complacent and blasé about the success in the Fergie period thinking it was the norm. We need this fallow period to really enjoy it if and when any period of success returns.

I don't think that's too unpopular an opinion. These past three years have been a worse version of the three seasons we went by without a title before 06/07.

The two league titles after the treble season were quite anti climatic affairs for me (99/00 and 00/01) and I remember thinking in between 2003 to 2006 "oh how I would never take a league title for granted again."

I have a sneaking feeling that Anthony Martial will always be at the level he is currently at. A magnificent player who bags 15-20 goals a season from the wing but not the second coming of Marco Reus/Thierry Henry that many expect him to be at.

The way we are playing is similar to how id have expected an lvg team with the additions of Pogba Mkhi & zlatan to play.

The way we are playing is a result of José's initial ideas failing.

He has adapted to what he has & a style that suits. The main thing he has brought is more physicality.

In a way he got lucky , he spent 150 mill on players intending to play a 4231 that is alien to zlatan & Pogba.

Ironic that the way to get the best out of them is to use an un Jose like lone deep playmaker , just like we all knew all along.

Im glad Jose has adapted , I wasn't sure he would , lvg's misguided change to 4231 killed him, it looked for a while that it might kill Jose.

We look good now.

I actually liked Lvg. I felt he was building a really good base for our youngsters to develop. If he was given time, I feel he would've actually achieved something significant.

Blind is a really good all around player, I'd love to see him start more often.

Smalling has lost his opportunity. He'll be sold in 2018 summer transfer window.

I'd really like to see Basti back on the starting line up. He, Herrera and Pogba wound be really good.

Rooney will now be a squad player.

Jose will stay at United and will become a United legend.

Mikhi still has a long way to go.

In my combined United and Liverpool XI, I have 5 Liverpool players. I'm hence not convinced that United's starting XI is much better, unlike the general consensus on this forum.

I actually liked Lvg. I felt he was building a really good base for our youngsters to develop. If he was given time, I feel he would've actually achieved something significant.

Blind is a really good all around player, I'd love to see him start more often.

Smalling has lost his opportunity. He'll be sold in 2018 summer transfer window.

I'd really like to see Basti back on the starting line up. He, Herrera and Pogba wound be really good.

Rooney will now be a squad player.

Jose will stay at United and will become a United legend.

Mikhi still has a long way to go.

I liked and really respected LvGs honesty. Rare in most humans and never seen with coaches.

In my combined United and Liverpool XI, I have 5 Liverpool players. I'm hence not convinced that United's starting XI is much better, unlike the general consensus on this forum.

This is not too unreasonable on form (although I cant think of 5 as none of the back 4 or keeper are making it in) however players like Lallana and Firminho are clearly all thriving because of the system they play suiting them perfectly. If you take them on their career achievements and all-round game i am not sure you could say for example that Lallana is better than Mata and I am no big Mata fan. I do believe we have the more talented XI

I have one. Coutinho. The rest of their attacking players are around Lingard level. Good system though

Based on form or ability? Because i think i also got 5 liverpool players(matip, milner, mane/coutinho, henderson) but the united players, especially ibra and pogba are on a completely different level

----------------De Gea---------
Valencia---Matip----Bailly---Milner(Shaw on ability tho)
---------------Carrick---------------
------Herrera(could argue hendo but he's actually crap)
---------------------Pogba
Mkhitryan------Ibrah---------Coutinho

I admit there are a few close ones, like mane at rw but really on ability Utd would get 9 or 10 players in the team over liverpoool who actually have a very poor squad/team on paper but are playing fantastically due to klopps system. Think the Utd game vs Liverpool next week will prove just that and we will beat them with relative ease.

Here is an unpopular opinion -

We should switch to a 4-2-3-1 with Carrick/Herrera and Pogba in midfield, behind an attacking band of three comprising Mata, Martial and Mhkitaryan. This will give us maximum penetration and creativity.

In the last few games Jose has brought Mata/Martial on and they have influenced the games hugely.

Lingard and Rashford should be subs and shouldn't start over those three players.

Mata is our most creative player and he, in particular, needs to start every game.

Rashford should play in the centre and Martial should play left wing. Not sure how unpopular this is but I've seen people saying the opposite. My reasoning behind this is that Rahsford's movement and link-up play is better and Martial is the better dribbler and is more selfish (not that this is a bad thing).

Rooney in good form equals Mata and Mkhitaryan. He might have lost a bit of pace but his game was never about that but instead about working well with team-mates and intelligent, flair passing.

Fellaini is a good option and should be kept over Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger et al. He's not the most skilful but that's Pogba's job, not his. Herrera is better than him but, hey, that's just the relation of a first team player to a squad player.

@Lentwood @Celestiale @giorno @TrustInJanuzai

My combined XI looks something like this:

De Gea
Clyne - Matip - Bailly - Milner
Lallana - Carrick - Pogba
Mkhitaryan - Zlatan - Coutinho

Although there are some very close calls indeed.

Anyway if Liverpool's XI is really all that inferior, what does that say about Klopp?

Blind is a weak link and teams are targeting in behind him. CBJ would be a better option for us.

Blind is a weak link and teams are targeting in behind him. CBJ would be a better option for us.

Don't agree with the second part at all, but I think Blind's days are definitely numbered when we have another summer window.

The fact Mourinho said we have "3 centre backs" for the next 8 games, then only mentioned Blind as an afterthought, shows he's very much squad filler right now. If Shaw gets his act together, he'll do well to get in at all

De Gea

Anyway if Liverpool's XI is really all that inferior, what does that say about Klopp?
3 of their back four over ours when we have less goals conceded? Interesting assessment. Wouldn't take any of their CBs over Jones/Rojo considering our impeccable win ratio with them. And Valencia, defensively, has been excellent.

I don't think Rooney was wrong to hold out for a better contract in 2010. He was our best player and he was earning less than guys at city. You could argue that he held the club to ransom but I'm sure the club would have no second thoughts ruthlessly discarding players if they aren't of the level required. So surely players of the level have all the power in the world.

I don't think Rooney was wrong to hold out for a better contract in 2010. He was our best player and he was earning less than guys at city. You could argue that he held the club to ransom but I'm sure the club would have no second thoughts ruthlessly discarding players if they aren't of the level required. So surely players of the level have all the power in the world.

He took it one step too far, meaning people will always hold it against him.

Whereas the likes of Keane, who had that infamous standoff about the seemingly moderate now (!) 50k a week level, it's almost forgotten about

3 of their back four over ours when we have less goals conceded? Interesting assessment. Wouldn't take any of their CBs over Jones/Rojo considering our impeccable win ratio with them. And Valencia, defensively, has been excellent.
Liverpool actually concede fewer shots on target, but De Gea is much better than Mignolet or Karius, which is why United concede less goals.

We're more fluid in the final third and create better/more chances without Zlatan in the team up front. And Pogba, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM shots fired haha

De Gea

I know this is an unpopular opinion thread and i am biased as a Utd fan but i cannot accept 3/4 members of the back 4 coming from a side with such a notoriously leaky defence when ours has statistically been very good since van Gaal first took over.

Valencia has been the best RB in the league for me this season and i think we have 4 CBs all better than anything Liverpool could offer

I know this is an unpopular opinion thread and i am biased as a Utd fan but i cannot accept 3/4 members of the back 4 coming from a side with such a notoriously leaky defence when ours has statistically been very good since van Gaal first took over.
Liverpool have conceded 19 and United have conceded 23, that's not a huge difference.

But what also should be noted is that United have a much better goalkeeper than Liverpool. I believe that Liverpool have actually conceded less shots on target, but more of them go in. That's why I (obviously) picked De Gea in my combined XI.

Valencia has been the best RB in the league for me this season and i think we have 4 CBs all better than anything Liverpool could offer
Valencia vs Clyne is debatable, but are you really implying that Bailly/Jones/Smalling/Rojo are all better than Matip? I simply cannot agree.

Likewise: Statistically, United have had 6% less possession on average than Liverpool this season, yet 2 out of my 3 midfielders are from United. Liverpool have scored far more goals than United, yet 2 out of my 3 forwards are from United.

Liverpool have conceded 19 and United have conceded 23, that's not a huge difference.

But what also should be noted is that United have a much better goalkeeper than Liverpool. I believe that Liverpool have actually conceded less shots on target, but more of them go in. That's why I (obviously) picked De Gea in my combined XI.

Valencia vs Clyne is debatable, but are you really implying that Bailly/Jones/Smalling/Rojo are all better than Matip? I simply cannot agree.

Likewise: Statistically, United have had 6% less possession on average than Liverpool this season, yet 2 out of my 3 midfielders are from United. Liverpool have scored far more goals than United, yet 2 out of my 3 forwards are from United.

Clyne inclusion is incorrect over Valenica, Matip however has been class and i agree with your line up after Clyne comes out for Valencia

United should not sign Griezmann.

Clearly he is a world class player but it would be putting a round peg in a square hole once again. His best position just doesn't suit our current system.

I haven't really seen a great deal of Matic which kind of sums up why these comparisons are so tough.

My opinion though is still that Utd have been managed fairly averagely for the last 3 seasons prior to Mourinho whereas Klopp clearly has Liverpool on top form. I do think this squad will show itself to be an excellent one now it has settled down

The tape of 'Glory, Glory Man United' they play after each home win sounds like an embarrassing cheesy 80s pop song by Black Lace's, akin to Agadoo, and they should stop playing it. If we win a trophy and the fans join in to sing it, it can be magical. But other than that - kill it. Sounds bloody terrible.

If Jose had found and stuck to the 433 midfield with Pogba, Carrick and Herrera, and not messed around as much with Fellaini playing when he shouldn't of been, etc, we would be top of the league. Since we've changed to that and settled we have been superb.

The tape of 'Glory, Glory Man United' they play after each home win sounds like an embarrassing cheesy 80s pop song by Black Lace's, akin to Agadoo, and they should stop playing it. If we win a trophy and the fans join in to sing it, it can be magical. But other than that - kill it. Sounds bloody terrible.

On the contrary, there should be more songs played in football stadiums that crowds can join in with.

It's a lot more fun to watch sports here in North America with music blazing, crowd interacting, big screens showing replays, half time shows etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.